Tea 102: Regions of The Tea World – Lump Post…
I don’t have the energy to write out a post for each of the three weeks of class that I’ve had, and I’m kind of dying on the inside right now because of the events that took place during class tonight (the third week of class) so instead here’s a lumped together jumble of notes from each week…
Tea 102: Week One (CHINA)
- Teas: Pai Mu Tan, Silver Needle, Dragonwell, Light Oolong, Keemun, LS, and Pu’erh
- Great class for this week! Got to talk in depth about yixing and gaiwans!
- Sadly, the teas came late (the day before Week Two’s class)…
- So, the cuppings weren’t done on time…
- Overall, pretty tasty! I liked pretty well everything except the Dragonwell
- LS tasted a little weak, not sure why…
Tea 102: Week Two (JAPAN)
- Teas: Sencha, Gyokuro, Matcha, Hojicha, Genmaicha
- Sencha was the most disappointing of the five teas, but none were bad
- In particular, I quite liked the Genmaicha and Gyokuro! Very fresh!
- Matcha was very lumpy/chalky, but not a bad flavour
- Going through the Japanese tea history makes me want a new tattoo
- An “Ichigo Ichei” tattoo!
Tea 102: Week Three (INDIA/SRI LANKA)
- Sri Lankan Teas (that I had): Kandy, Dimbula, Nuwara Eliya, Rahuna, Uva
- Indian Teas (that I had): 1st Flush Darjeeling, 2nd Flush Darjeeling, Assam, Nilgiri
- This week was a MESS
- 1/3 the Sri Lankan teas were not included in my package
- And one of the Indian teas was missing as well
- So couldn’t do cuppings for those teas
- Because of freezing rain, there were frequent outtages ALL day as well
- I literally finished the cuppings ten minutes BEFORE class started
- From Sri Lanka, my favourites were Kandy and Uva; a sweeter, less harsh profile = yum!
- I loved getting to try the different regions
- Odds are I’ve had ‘em before but not known the specific regions I was drinking
- As a lot of Ceylonese teas are JUST called “Ceylon”
- Indian cuppings were nothing new: obvs the Assam wasn’t my favourite
- Did probably the MOST unproffesional thing I’ve ever done in class though
- I ACCIDENTALLY sent a link to a tumblr post to the whole class
- The link said “I need to know how many donuts you can fit on your erect penis”
- And then my connection immediately cut out…
- So… fuck!
- How do you recover from that!?
- Anyway; I missed class almost all of class, and fuck my life.
- So that’s how this week went…
Here’s the infamous post that’s caused the headache…
I may be done drinking tea tonight; switching to alcohol to numb the pain…