Yunnan Dragon Pearl Black Tea

Black Tea Leaves
Leather, Smooth, Sweet, Tobacco, Cocoa, Hay, Honey, Malt, Dark Chocolate, Graham, Butterscotch, Caramel, Chocolate, Milk, Smoke
Edit tea info Last updated by What-Cha

• “Smelled very much like Virginia pipetobacco when dry. Very smooth thick liquor. Hints of pipetobacco and leather. Quite tasty. 5 min steep but can easily handle a bit more.” Read full tasting note
  • “I’ve reviewed this one several times but I find my rating increases a little each time. I’m still relatively new to quality tea (quali-tea, hehe) so it’s probably a combination of developing taste...” Read full tasting note
  • “I’ve been looking forward to trying this tea ever since my very first order at What-cha and I must say that it was worth the wait. The harvest date on the label of my package says spring 2016, I do...” Read full tasting note
  • “Note: I believe I reviewed a version that came from a different source than the other reviews. What-Cha’s site said this year’s (2016) is from a different supplier, and I didn’t encounter the...” Read full tasting note

From What-Cha

Product description not available yet.

About What-Cha View company

Smelled very much like Virginia pipetobacco when dry.
Very smooth thick liquor. Hints of pipetobacco and leather. Quite tasty.
5 min steep but can easily handle a bit more.

Flavors: Leather, Smooth, Sweet, Tobacco

Boiling 5 min, 15 sec 1 tsp 200 OZ / 5914 ML

I’ve reviewed this one several times but I find my rating increases a little each time. I’m still relatively new to quality tea (quali-tea, hehe) so it’s probably a combination of developing taste and preference as well as refining my brewing methods for different teas. The more I drink this tea the more I find myself liking it!

After a white tea left me feeling a little meh I tossed two pearls into a preheated mug, poured over water somewhere just under boiling and let it rest with a lid on for a while. Since when did this tea get so damn delicious?! I liked it before but I’m really diggin it today. The chocolate notes are hitting me hard, the mouthfeel so very creamy and heady! I refreshed the mug and added just a little cream. This is now my black of choice.

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 5 g 8 OZ / 236 ML

The harvest date on the label of my package says spring 2016, I do believe that this is the newer version of this tea from Feng Qing.

The pearls were larger than I’d expected, and slightly varied in size but all around the size of cherry tomatoes maybe? The dried leaf smells faintly of sweet chocolate, streaked with gold and dark brown leaves. I actually only used one of the larger pearls for one mug, brewed western style for about 3 and a half minutes. The leaves unfurled to fill half the brewing basket!

The aroma of malted milk balls filled the air, and the tea was surprisingly light. No earthy tannins, just silky smooth layers of chocolate, malt and butterscotch swirling over my tongue. This tea almost had me convinced I’d liquefied a tootsie roll somehow, it was so sweet. I adore butterscotch candies and being able to taste little hints of it here was lovely.

The pearl had one more good long western steep, maybe about 6 minutes or so. The flavor was even lighter, but still filled with chocolate, and maybe a hint of leather in the background somewhere.

This tea is overall delicious, almost like a dessert tea. If you’re looking for more tannins or heavier earthy flavors this might not quite catch you, but I’d still recommend trying this tea at least once to see just what Yunnan black teas are capable of!

Flavors: Butterscotch, Caramel, Chocolate, Leather, Malt, Milk, Smooth, Sweet

Note: I believe I reviewed a version that came from a different source than the other reviews. What-Cha’s site said this year’s (2016) is from a different supplier, and I didn’t encounter the issues others had.

So, I was looking for a chocolatey tea, and this hits the spot. I managed to set off the fire alarm while making dinner, which meant my first pot of this steeped far longer than I’d intended. Despite this, no bitterness at all, just smooth and rich with a cocoa taste.

…and it goes better with frozen pizza than you’d expect.

I used 4 pearls for an entire pot of tea, and there was plenty of taste.

Flavors: Chocolate, Cocoa

Boiling 7 min, 0 sec 4 tsp 20 OZ / 591 ML

Sipdown. 4 pearls 8oz. According to the directions I overleafed. I didn’t get much flavor out of these. It was caramel, but not strong. Not what I wanted from this tea. 70

Flavors: Caramel

Fjellrev

Too bad about the lack of flavour.

Thanks for these in the sale, Ost! I always like to try all the pearls. These ones are very light in flavor, even while using four for a full mug. Once unraveled, the leaves look fairly large and fill almost half the brew basket. Though light, the flavor is complex and delicious: slight hints of molasses, chocolate, honey, maple, caramel, tobacco in this light amber brew. Pretty darn good flavors right there. The second cup was deeper in flavor. It wasn’t astringent at all, but it seemed to lose some of the distinct characteristics of the first steep. It was mostly chocolate this time around. I’m not sure how I like these compared to other pearls. The first cup was unique but light, the second cup a lot more like the usual pearl flavor.
Steep #1 // 4 pearls for a full mug// 5 minutes after boiling // 3 minute steep
Steep #2 // just boiled // 4 minute steep

This may be one of the more dramatic cases I’ve seen of the differences a tea can have when brewed gongfu vs western style.

This time I brewed it gongfu and did steeps of 1 min, 1 min, 1:30, and 1:30. A much fuller, richer flavor appeared in all steeps. The liquid was thick and coated the mouth with sweetness. I cannot say I would recommend brewing this Western style after experiencing it gongfu. My rating jumped up after this experience.

Flavors: Honey, Malt

205 °F / 96 °C 1 min, 0 sec 4 g 3 OZ / 88 ML

Good morning Steepster friends!
I’m starting my day with some teas that Sil recently left on my front porch. I brought the whole bag to Tony’s for the weekend. So here’s my first cup of the day, & it’s just so so. I am a lover of Pearl shaped teas, but this one is definitely not what I expected. There were 3 pearls in package, & I used all three in a large mug. (Normally I would use 6 or 8, depending on the brand, steep 3 min & 5). I gave it 3 & tested, & all I got was a soapy/salty kind of maltiness. I’m sure somebody is thinking that the cup had soap residue, but no, I never use soap on my cups, teapots, or strainers. I soak them in hot water & then rub the cups down with a clean cloth. Anyway, I gave it a little more time, & that made it more so. I tried adding more water….:p
Maybe it’s my tastebuds…sigh…NEXt!

Wow. What I get from this is a whole heaping mouthful of cocoa and some fruit. Mainly cocoa though. Like Sil noted, maybe something that might read as smoke hovering around. I like these a lot.

Used 2 pearls in a 6 oz pot. Let steep as I sipped. I think 3-4 minutes was the range where the pearls were fully opened and I started to get more than a lightly flavored hot water. :) Went up through about 7 minutes and while it cooled off, it didn’t turn bitter.

looseTman

Sweetened, unsweetened, or bittersweet cocoa?

Nicole

unsweetened, not at all bitter

looseTman

Cool, thanks!

Dexter

See now this is why I’m in trouble – dragon pearl black is another area that I haven’t really explored that much – this sounds like something I should look into… :))

I can see why ost might not have liked these. Again, i’m finding the teas from What-cha to be just a little different than other teas that i’ve had from other companies. Not bad, just different…i’ll have to look in to whether it’s the regions or what…though i know on some of them that IS the difference.

These are deep, heavy pearls….they do have a malty taste to them but there’s also a note in here that isn’t honey…it’s a bit of a sweetness – maybe cherry? with something that could almost be smoke if you thought too hard about it lol

Ost