Classic Laoshan Black

Chocolate, Cocoa, Dark Chocolate, Malt, Tannin, Thick, Dark Bittersweet, Dark Wood, Roasted, Smoke, Vanilla
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Arby

• “Trying this as a coldbrew because I’m feeling chocolate today. 1.5 tsp, 500 mL cold water 12 minutes Resteeped with 500mL cold water, 25 minutes It could go a few more times with progressively...” Read full tasting note
  • “(2016 version) This tea is robust and full bodied. The extreme malty flavor hits your palate immediately and stops quickly. It has a slight smokiness with mild chocolate notes to it. The aftertaste...” Read full tasting note
  • “Had this to drink today while i was out trying to help some friends get some pictures of the two of them and the baby bump, before the kid pops out. I tend to take pictures of scenery, so it was a...” Read full tasting note
  • “This is a delicious tea—my favorite YS black so far. If you like LP’s Chocolate Genmaicha, then you’ll like this one. Lots of cocoa notes, very smooth, and a hint of spice and malt. I’ve tried it...” Read full tasting note

From Yunnan Sourcing

Laoshan village is near Qingdao in the province of Shandong at an altitude of just 300 meters. Laoshan village is also near a sacred mountain, and not far from the ocean. Tea has been grown in Laoshan area for many generations. We are offering this “Imperial Grade” Laoshan Black tea made from the tippiest first flush of spring 2016 tea leaves.

Our Laoshan teas are grown by the Liang family, who have a small family operation growing Laoshan tea and doing all the processing of the tea themselves as well. You will notice that the tea is grown undercover of greenhouse which are fully covered in the winter to protect from frost and also in the earliest part of spring as well just as the leaves are starting to sprout. In the middle and later part of the first flush growth stage the coverings are removed and the tea bushes grow in full view of the sun until plucking in the first week of April.

Laoshan black tea is small and tippy, it lacks white pekoe style hairs that give black teas their gold color. Instead Lao Shan black is grown from Long Jing #43 and the dry leaf is small, spindly and has a brown-black shiny look to it. The brewed leaf gradually unfolds and reveals it’s brown color. The brewed leaves have a vertical (parallel to the stem) striations as a result of the rolling they undergo. The tea soup is tending more towards gold in color with much less red than a typical black tea. The taste of Laoshan black tea is amazingly sweet with very obvious chocolate notes and the slightest hint of osmanthus. People often question whether sugar was added to the tea somehow, but it’s just naturally sweet and thick.

Laoshan Black is harvested from 1st (pre Ming) and 2nd flush material during the first week of May, and again in Autumn. The tea is picked, wilted briefly, fried (kill green), rolled and then allowed to wilt under the sun in cloth bags for 2 to 3 days (depending on ambient temperatures). After sun wilting is complete the tea is roasted in a kind of hot air tumbler (滚桶 ).

Our Classic grade, although not as small and fine as it’s Imperial counterpart it is more robust in taste and has more of a dark chocolate bite to it. It is very smooth with a golden yellow tea soup that is viscous and soupy. I recommend getting a little of each grade to start and then decide for yourself which you like best!

We feel confident you will enjoy family-sourced Laoshan teas and invite you to try them all!

Area: Laoshan village near Qingdao in Shandong
Time of harvest: early April

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

Trying this as a coldbrew because I’m feeling chocolate today.

1.5 tsp, 500 mL cold water 12 minutes
Resteeped with 500mL cold water, 25 minutes
It could go a few more times with progressively longer steep times.

Lots of flavourful tannins, roasted/toasted buckwheat, cocoa, rich, very dark chocolate. Texture wise it is quite thick, malty. They weren’t kidding when they said Loashans tasted like cocoa. My brew actually smells like hot chocolate. It is also flavourful enough that it would take milk well (although certainly not necessary).

Flavors: Chocolate, Cocoa, Dark Chocolate, Malt, Tannin, Thick

(2016 version) This tea is robust and full bodied. The extreme malty flavor hits your palate immediately and stops quickly. It has a slight smokiness with mild chocolate notes to it. The aftertaste is a lingering vanilla sweetness. I do like this tea, however, it is outshined by its cousin the “Classic Laoshan Green Tea” in just about every category:Flavor, Complexity, Body, etc. so I will probably not order the black version any time soon (as the green spoiled me) but I would recommend this tea to others. If you are trying to decide between the green/ black; the black is not as heavy as its green counterpart IMHO. The green is very savory and heavy while the black is more laidback and sweet. Either way this is worth the price and I’m glad I tried both for comparison purposes. The cha qi is fairly energizing.

Flavors: Chocolate, Malt, Smoke, Vanilla

Had this to drink today while i was out trying to help some friends get some pictures of the two of them and the baby bump, before the kid pops out. I tend to take pictures of scenery, so it was a challenge for me, i did better than i thought, but man, full props to all the portrait photographers out there who are doing more than stock posing. they’re short on monday and sadly non of our actual photographer friends could help out, so they were stuck with me. At least we had some fun being outside and i think? i caught a few good ones. The tea certain helped with making me feel better haha

This is a delicious tea—my favorite YS black so far. If you like LP’s Chocolate Genmaicha, then you’ll like this one. Lots of cocoa notes, very smooth, and a hint of spice and malt. I’ve tried it once gong fu and once western, which I prefer.

YAY! have been waiting for someone to pick it up and try it.

JakeB

It’s a good one for sure. I hope they’ll have some of the Imperial grade of it left when they have their next sale. I also really like the Zheng Shan Xiao Zhong black tea as well. I’ll leave a note on that one in a day or two as well as about 5 other black teas (and one white tea) from YS in the next week. The Yunnan Black Gold Bi Luo Chun and Imperial Mojiang Golden Bud were good too but not to my liking in flavor profile as much. They were definitely less chocolate and fruity tasting and more bread and sweet potato tasting.

i may just need to break down and pick some up without a sale damnit.

and agree with you on Zheng Shan Xiao Zhong, though the 2015 harvest was terribad compared to 2013 and 2014.