Thank you Ashmanra for this tea sample!

One of the goals in my fathers life was to “See the Country he fought for” which meant…in July, we drove in our 1950’s era Chevy from California to New York City and back. (I remember hearing talk of this desire to ‘see the Country’ from many Vet’s when they retire.)

It was HOT! AND, I had to sit next to my brother Steve who had better not cross over to my side of the car!
There wasn’t air conditioning in the car as we traveled Route 66 through Arizona (stopped at the Grand Canyon), New Mexico and the Painted Desert (explain that one to kids), down into the humid Southern States (ate buscuits and grits). We saw the KKK march down the street in Colombia, S.C. and I was afraid.

I wrote about this adventure some time ago and how my mom made balogna sandwiches for lunch along the way. We stayed in cabin style motels (which were common in those days) and I saw my share of
strange places to eat. Hamburger and hotdog joints shaped like Oranges, Trees, Hamburgers, Hotdogs, Dogs and Dinosaurs.

Dad was looking for historical places. Williamsburg and George Washington’s Church, Lady Liberty, Gettysburg and the crown jewel, Washington D.C. (that was full of cool places like the Smithsonian)!

For my father, going to the tomb of the Unknown Soldier and the
Iwo Jima Memorial was his duty. Wandering through Arlington Cemetery alone for a long, long time was something I didn’t understand as a young girl. “Dad…come on!”

This was his trip of a lifetime and a dream come true.

I appreciate him now and what that meant to him.
My quiet father had a great life. He was loved and respected by everyone. He had a wonderful life for the son of the town drunk, raised in a shack. I have a lot to live up to.

Tasting:
Ashmanra sent me a lovely tea sample that I’ve held onto for the right time to try.

This is an Oolong, fragrant with the scent of peach and apricot as soon as I opened the packet.
I steeped the beautiful long wiry leaves in 175F spring water for
2 minutes after a quick rinse.

Oh the delicious ripe sweet fruit…amber peaches, freestone’s with all the honey rich juiciness. This was one of those ‘got to have it’ Oolongs!

I steeped it longer, then shorter in a Gaiwan, tasting and testing the flavor. There was a hint of spearmint in the aftertaste. Yes, going back later…it was still there…that spearmint. AND, a toastiness that I love in Autumn tea’s.

Yes, this was one Oolong that I wanted to have in my cupboard!

Thank you Ashmanra, this is a uniquely beautiful Oolong!

Invader Zim

The first thing I did when I got out was travel across country, stopping at the Grand Canyon. Although we didn’t go through the south eastern states, we went north. The Tomb and Arlington are very emotional places, I’m lucky enough to live close enough that I can make them a day trip. Thank you for sharing, and hopefully you don’t feel afraid anymore.

Bonnie

No, I don’t feel afraid anymore. I did learn to be cautious in life. It was in Cupertino, California…yes, Silicon Valley, that a cross was burned on my lawn. That’s the Valley where my house was broken in and someone tried to kill me…in a new home in the suburbs. You can never tell where something will happen. If you live in fear, the bad guys win.

TheTeaFairy

Bonnie, this is so well written, yay for Chevy on route 66! As I was reading it, I felt great respect for your dad… History on a road trip!

Invader Zim

You say you have a lot to live up to, I think you already have lived up to him. You have been through so much and came out the other side a humble tea drinking person. Bonnie, you are one of those people we look up to, that we try to live up to, to be so humble.

Bonnie

Oh dear, I’m not all that! I learn from all of you!

Yes you are :-)

Bonnie

TeaFairy, My Daughter loved your story!

Glad she did :-)

Nik

A beautiful story and, it seems, a beautiful tea. Thank you, Bonnie. =)

Comments

Invader Zim

Bonnie

Oh dear, I’m not all that! I learn from all of you!

Yes you are :-)

Bonnie

TeaFairy, My Daughter loved your story!

Glad she did :-)

Nik

A beautiful story and, it seems, a beautiful tea. Thank you, Bonnie. =)

Colorado Grandma