Well, another Verdant Tieguanyin is a complete hit with me… (: I’m surprised there aren’t more reviews for this one.

(First steep, 1 minute)
This one was delightfully sweet with a kettle corn flavor. There’s a slight mineral taste. Very savory at the end; coats my mouth. Rich, full texture. Savory buttery sweetness. Mmmm. (The kettle corn reminds me of Mandala’s Alishan Oolong. The main differences I’m noticing here is that the Alishan is lighter, greener, and more floral, while this Tieguanyin is fuller and more savory.)

(Second steep, 1 minute 10 seconds)
A little less sweet, with a “greener” taste underscored with mineral. It’s lighter than the first steep; immediately after noticing this it takes a turn back to lingering savory- and nutty-ness. Then after THAT, the mineral taste returns. Like clean, refreshing spring water with a touch of sweetness. That was unexpected. I’m eager to see what happens next…

(Third steep, 1 minute 25 seconds)
Even more mineral. I begin to pick out pervading notes of cinnamon and roastiness. There’s a juicy, citrus-like undertone that wasn’t there before.

(Fourth steep, 1 minute 40 seconds)
The sweetness diminishes even more. It seems that the hints of cinnamon I was getting are now gone. (Aww.) There’s lingering, tart, fruity juiciness in the aftertaste.

(Fifth steep, 2 minutes)
Similar to the fourth steep. There’s VERY faint traces of sweet cinnamon and almond in the aftertaste, but overall it’s predominated by tartness and minerals.

High quality oolong. So complex and exciting. I love oolongs.
In conclusion: why haven’t you tried this yet?

I have been drinking tea all of my life, but I have only been drinking loose leaf since 2013. It has been a journey! I’m amazed at how much my tastes have changed just over the past year. I have met such lovely, sweet individuals on Steepster and am so glad to have become a part of this community.

My cupboard is reflective of the teas I have on-hand. (Though, of course, not quantities.) I’m always up for swaps so if you want to trade teas just send me a message!

I love, love love pure black teas. Definitely my favorite. I also quite enjoy white teas, puerh, and darker/roasted oolongs. Matcha is a secret love that I neglect too often. I try to stay away from flavored teas, but I do enjoy a well crafted blend. I drink dessert teas on occasion—usually when I’m craving something sweet. It’s a mood-driven decision. Things I (usually) don’t like: green oolongs, rooibos, artificially flavored teas, straight greens.

Rating System
90+ The very best! Teas that I always need in my cupboard!
85-89 Teas that I enjoy immensely and will try to keep around.
80-84 Makes a very pleasing cup. I will enjoy drinking them, but won’t necessarily try to keep around. (There are exceptions.)
70-79 Decent, but could be better.
60-69 Mediocre.
40-59 Gross. I might still try to finish the cup.
39 & under Undrinkable. I probably dumped this cup. Depending on the specific rating, I probably threw the rest of the tea out as well. It’s basically me saying “I hate it” with varying intensity and inflection.

Some of my favorite tea companies are:
-Whispering Pines Tea Co.
-Verdant Tea