drank Cranberry Pear by DAVIDsTEA

I’ve been eyeing this one up for a while, mostly because I want to find a really good pear flavoured tea for my cupboard. The first time I smelled it was in store in my old city – and it smelled alright, but not great so I passed on it. Today, in my new city, I took the opportunity to smell it again and see if my thought had changed, and they certainly had.

For whatever reason, it just smelled totally irresistible to me today. I wasn’t sure what it was that had sold me today until the salesman pointed it out; not only does it smell like pears and cranberry, but it smells CREAMY. It’s a very rich creamy smell too, but I can’t really figure out WHY it smells so creamy; none of the listed ingredients are things that really make me think of creamy teas.

Dry and steeping, this one smells like pears, but the cranberry factors into there a great deal too. The tartness of the cranberry really plays of the sweet juiciness of the pears. There are apples listed in the ingredients, and even though I can SEE them I can’t smell them at all. I’m ok with this – I’m not really interested in this tea because of the apple.

Steeped, the liquor is a very pale reddy brown sort of colour. I don’t know – it’s a weird colour, but it’s light. First few sips and it sort of tastes weak, and pretty watery. I don’t think it’s a matter of understeeping since I steeped this one of the high end of the recommended steep times. What it might be is a case of too much fruit in comparison to the actual tea leaf? The sample I got was almost ENTIRELY large chunks of fruit (Holy Cranberry! The cranberry chunks in this are MASSIVE!) with black tea leaves pretty sparse among the fruit.

The more I drink it, however, the better it tastes. The pear is very predominant with a subtle cranberry flavour. The description on the little baggy describes this tea and juicy and tart, but I don’t taste any tartness. Instead this tea is really smooth and creamy with a lovely light cranberry and pear taste. Like I said, the black tea base is very light and almost not present at all. I read the reviews commenting on how this tastes like bubblegum, and I understand the comparison.

Once I get my Della Terra order in I’m going to have to do a comparison between this tea and the other pear flavoured one I got (The Perfect Pear) to see which I prefer. Both use a black tea base. Hmmm…

My cup is all gone now, and I find myself seriously craving another cup. Both this tea AND Blueberry Jam (the other black tea I bought today) are teas I’m going to have to buy a tin of. I’m sure I’ll eat through my sample of this one quite quickly.

If it was only a little less weak, this tea would be perfect! And as soon as it was done steeping I went and ate all of the fruit bits! They looked too good to resist. Next time I’ll have to try over leafing it for a stronger flavour.

Growing up, the only tea I ever drank was bagged mint tea (especially peppermint), and mint still remains a staple flavour for me. Spearmint is my favourite. At this point in my ‘tea career’ I heavily lean towards flavoured blends; doesn’t matter if they’re fruity, chocolate, sweet, savory, etc. Blacks are my favourite as far as flavoured blends go, with whites a close second. I really enjoy everything but straight Greens though, but I’ll try anything once even if I am wary.

My favourite fruit flavours in blends are cranberry, banana, pear, lychee, melon, passion fruit and especially pineapple. I am also always excited to try anything with Saskatoon Berries, which are delicious and also my city’s namesake. I have a huge weakness towards toffee/caramel and coconut teas and a bit of a soft spot in regard to black licorice. I also adore anything creamy. I am always up for trying soda inspired blends as well because the concept fascinates me. I want to try all the Rootbeer teas! I am also currently trying to try as many Sweet Potato blends as possible.

Tastes I strongly dislike are ginger and raisins. Really, those are the only two things I intentionally avoid. I also have mixed feelings about peaches, mangoes, lemongrass, and chamomile.

In regard to straight teas, I haven’t been nearly as adventurous. I’ve yet to really explore any straight oolongs, except Milk Oolongs which weren’t really for me. In general, I really like straight black teas, especially when they have strong baked bread or malt notes. I like most straight whites, but I have a preference for silver needle teas over other types. Green teas, with the exception of Genmaicha and some Hojicha, make me feel a bit sick and I often can’t finish the cup. I can handle flavoured matcha like Red Leaf Tea sells – but straight matcha is a definite “no go”. I recently survived my first Pu’erh, and it was an alright, maybe borderline enjoyable, experience.

The ratio of cold brewed and hot tea I drink is about 50/50. As far as my cup sizes go, all my daily cold brews are done in a 25 oz. mason jar and my other mugs are 12 oz. with the exception of my Adeline infuser mug which is 16 oz. Unless otherwise specified, these are the cup sizes for all teas I review.

I prefer to drink my tea without adding anything to it, and 9/10 times that will be how I first try a blend. My belief is that milk, sugar or whatever else you add to your tea should be used to enhance an already good flavour: if the tea needs something added to it to taste good then it’s probably not good tea to begin with. The exception is Matcha; I always have my matcha whisked either into cold milk or club soda as “Matcha soda” depending on which way the flavour will be best suited. My roommate, Tre, has a very different philosophy in regard to tea, and that’s to always drown out his cup in sugar – even before tasting to see if it needs any. That’s why I don’t let him drink the good stuff ;)

The other important person in my life is my friend Robyn.

Some brief “IRL” interests: Clay/Sculpture (or visual arts in general), Improv, Mythology, Big Brother (USA and CA), and an absurdly large amount of TV shows – geeky or otherwise.

Saskatoon, SK, Canada