Formosa Natural Wuhe Honey Black Tea

Edit tea info Last updated by Suzi

From auraTeas

Hualien is located at the east part of Taiwan, facing the immense Pacific Ocean in the east and leaning against the grand Central Mountain Range in the west, Hualien is the most beautiful region in Taiwan. 400 years ago while Portuguese sailors saw this land from Pacific Ocean, they were fascinated by the immense scenery of Hualien, and they called this emerald island 「Formosa」.
Hualien is famous for “Tienhe Tea” (天鶴茶), which is the tea grown in Rueisuei (瑞穗) area. Recently the tea growers in Wuhe (舞鶴, also in Rueisuei area) developed a new style Black Tea following the procedures of growing Baihao Oolong (Oriental Beauty) and Guifei Oolong. Formosa Wuhe Honey Black Tea is also naturally grown without pesticide, and favored by “green leaf cicadas”, a kind of tea bug.
Just like the other versions of this tiny tea bug’s art, Formosa Wuhe Honey Black Tea is full bodied and yields rich yet delicate honeyed note liquor. Its smoothness and silkiness make it a unique black tea, not only attracts tea connoisseurs, also a frequent winner in worldwide tea contests. It just became one of the “Top 10 Formosa Tea” in 2007.

About auraTeas View company

I’ve noticed that oriental black teas tend to have these cocoa notes to them, but if I didn’t know better I’d swear that this tea was flavoured the cocoa scent was so strong. I brewed the tea following the directions on auraTeas website as closely as possible, though making 150ml of tea at a time looks a bit pathetic in my big coffee mug – maybe I should invest in some more authentic teaware.

I could be wrong, but I think this is the first Taiwanese black tea I’ve tried and it bears similarities to a keemun but there’s also some distinct differences as well. The tea does have a lovely bitter cocoa flavour but there’s more to it than that. There’s a smooth, sweet, honey-like undertone that keeps the tea from turning into something harsh.

This has a sweet leaf smell to it. It’s very very light in color…of the lightest black teas I have seen! Looks like an Oolong! The taste has a cake-like finish. The beginning of the sip almost a sweet-woodsy taste. I will say that it’s very different than any black tea I have ever had. The more I drink the more of a sweetness I can taste…not sure if it’s honey-like but oh well. Actually I think the texture is more honey-esque than the taste…but that could just be me…

Bethany

Mmm, this sounds good!

TeaEqualsBliss

Okay…weird…the more it sits and the more I sip and the more it cools I can start tasting the honey-likeness = maybe because I was “looking” for it…I don’t know…

I received a little package this morning from auraTeas this morning with six little tea samples in it. The first one I picked out to try – the tea that had sparked my interest in the company – was the Formosa Natural Wuhe Honey Black Tea.

This has the smoothest mouthfeel of any tea I’ve ever tasted. It’s amazing – it almost feels silky! There is sweet honey, but it isn’t cloying at all. It’s very delicate, and blends wholly with the black tea. There isn’t a hint of bitterness!

I feel very peaceful and blissed out as I drink this. It’s just so…balanced. I’m definitely going to have to order more – my sample’s already all used up!

takgoti

Ooooh, that sounds delightful! Now I’m going to have to give this vendor a look.

Suzi

It’s really nice! I usually don’t go for resteeps but I think I’m on my third infusion for this tea, and the flavor’s still quite good :D

It is a very sweet subtle black tea. I am loving the flavor. I really like this tea. Low tannin’s make this tea one of my favorite blacks. I will add more notes when I can smell and try it again.

This looks like black tea leaves that are twisted up. This smells like black tea. I steeped this up. This tastes like a medium strength black tea with abit of honey.This I’s good.