Grapefruit Earl Grey

Edit tea info Last updated by OMGsrsly

From Bayswater Tea Co.

1 tsp per 1 cup, steep 3-5 minutes.

(PS. CrowKettle needs to slow down! I keep getting errors because they’ve added the teas 2 seconds before I have!)

About Bayswater Tea Co. View company

Unsweetened grapefruit juice meets earl grey! Boy, is this straightforward and tart, but in a good way. I think it hit its full potential as a refreshing citrus tea when it cooled down to lukewarm/cool.

Despite not being a fan of earl greys, and being a tad skeptical on the shopkeeper’s enthusiasm for this one, I enjoyed this cup tonight. It’s definitely a summery tea, with some appeal to quiet evenings, curled up with a musty, old book on the family’s couch.. Geez, not quite sure how I’m still awake right now.

I’m glad I decided to split 50g of this with Cavocorax after all, and hope everyone from today’s meetup enjoys their new teas! Goodnight.

Woohoo! I’m happy you enjoyed it. I can’t wait to try it out. :D
It was pretty awesome hanging out too.

Wish I could have made it! Maybe next time hahaha

That’s the end of this one! I knew it wouldn’t last long. This tea delivers exactly what you’d expect from the title, and I really enjoy it, even if it is straightforward. I oversteeped it a little this morning, but that just gave it a bit of cremainess that I wasn’t expecting.

I think I’d pick up a little bit more if given the chance, but I wouldn’t go too far out of my way to do so. Can’t wait to get Sil and Kittenna their samples so I can see what they think.

I’m hanging out at York University for about 5 hours today, just to explore etc., but I sure wish I’d brought more than this with me! I suppose I’ll end up getting Tim Hortons coffee since there are 3 of those on campus. :P #teatraitor

York U alumnus here. York u is neat-o. Welcome to Ontario! Is Sil organizing a party yet? I’m in :)

Totally shared this with a friend at work today who needed a pick me up. It made my day because she got to drink this up and LOOOOOVED it (she’s a fan of EG’s and grapefruit) and i got one step closer to being back under terri’s cupboard count lol

1962 tasting notes

I steeped this up and added milk and sugar crystals this morning. It’s cooling on the table outside the lab, and I take a sip (gulp!) every time I walk past. It really does go well with milk, the grapefruit flavour lends a bright summery note that is no where near “furniture polish” territory.

I think this one would be AMAZING iced, maybe with a couple grapefruit juice ice cubes.

A 2.5 minute steep was perfect. No astringency or bitterness or anything. 3 minutes for the Creme Brulee I had last night was almost too long, so I’d suggest being a little conservative with your steep times.

This is a tea I can see buying again. It’s an Earl Grey, yes, but it’s different enough that it’s refreshing the flavour in my mind instead of being the same old thing.

I need to try this with milk now that you’ve shown the citrus doesn’t make it curdle. ;)

My evil secret: I used soy creamer. Takes a LOT for that stuff to curdle!

holy crap I need this, BIG TIME! O.o

OMGsrsly thought of you right away when we smelled this one, and I think Heather brought some back for you! :)

(It was supposed to be a surprise!) Haha. Yeah, I bought 50g and kept some to try. I really like it, though…

Bear With Me

dies laughing i kind of guessed as soon as I’d hit “send”, but got too distracted reading about this stupid prednisone crap the endo has me on for the next week :P I love you guys! :D

Bear With Me

….I apparently fail at formatting O.o

Whoops. Apparently I was more out of it yesterday then I’d thought, and totally missed that. My rep for spoiling surprises builds. Sorry Shayne and OMGsrsly! >.

:D No worries. I mean, I did text Shayne and ask about Earl Greys…

No!!! Don’t try to sugarcoat it. D: This is exactly what happened when Dumbledore died in the sixth book. I can’t believe I did it again!

Ah, anyways.. I hope you like this one, Shayne. I really enjoyed it too. :)

Bear With Me

she actually did text me about earl greys yesterday! so between that, and the fact that she knows I’m addicted to grapefruit teas, I kinda put two and two together ;)

Wait? What? Dumbledore dies??? /0\

Hahah. J/k. :)
(Although I think I did have that spoiled for me – thankfully no one could wreck 7 for me)

I got this tea as a last minute sample with our Vancouver meet up a few days ago. I’m a little hit or miss on Earl Grey tea. I like them, but sometimes the floral is too strong. This one is medium on the floral scent, but it is a strong smelling tea, which is actually ok with me, but proper storage would be better. I just have a small amount that was pilfered from ShayneBears sample.

Um, shifty eyes I might pilfer a little more of this before I give him the rest. It’s actually pretty good. At least with the steep I made this morning, I found that the predominant flavour profile was the bergamot, and the grapefruit gently mingled with but, but at the back. This could be because I added a little raw sugar and milk, so maybe the milk made the grapefruit less tart. I am gonna try this iced, and maybe in the style of a London Fog.

I don’t know if this is a repurchase or not yet, but we will see how the rest of my sample goes. It is very spring/summery, and as we head into cooler weather, this may not be on the top of my go to list.

I am SO GLAD my sister brought me 500g of this one when she came home for the holidays. I was all out, and it’s one of my favourites.

The sharp grapefruit, smooth base, subtle bergamot, and general versatility of this tea leads to me reaching for it when I’m feeling blargidy. It’s sunshiney comfort in a cup, whatever way I steep it.

Tea frens: sorry for disappearing. Won’t be online consistently for a while, but feel free to poke me on here and I’ll poke back when I can.

Ha, I’m such a fool for passing this one up both times I was at the shop. I’ll be sure to grab some next time to see what all the fuss is about. And compare it to Acquired Taste’s too.

Yummmmmm this tea!

No worries mister! Just wanted to make sure you were A-ok :)

500g? Wowser! But I know how much you love this one. HUGS!!

Holy shit. Last night, i was craving this tea, but I have a no caffeine after 3:00 rule, so I thought I’d wait until this morning. And oh my god, it was perfect. 1.5 tsp of leaf, used a generous amount of cream, two tsp of sugar, and brewed for four minutes. And I was blown away by how well this tea took the cream in particular. Both the grapefruit and bergamot were prominent, and the cream just amplified the latte-like thickness and comfort, but the zing of the grapefruit was not muted which was mind-blowing. I really hope this tea keeps well. I’m still on the hunt for the best tins in which to store tea. My ideal would be a tin where you can’t smell the tea from the outside, no matter how hard you try.

I know you guys know what it’s like to brew a perfect cup of something. Doesn’t always happen, but when it does, boy do you know it.

1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

I’m not sure this is the answer – but I have a gazillion Davids tins that aren’t perfect air tight. I put the tea into a ziplock bag — nothing fancy just the ones you buy at the grocery store – and then into the tin. I find it helps keep the scent in and clean up of the tin for re-use easier. :)

I do the same, bag plus tin.

Oh, I never thought of the bag+tin combo! great idea!

Does the plastic affect the flavour of the tea? I might try that too.

I have never noticed an issue, if the tea comes in foil that doesn’t officially reseal, I usually fold it over a few times and tape it, then put it in the tin.

I found the Bayswater Tea Co while explore a cool neighborhood on West Broadway St in Vancouver. It’s a very multicultural neighborhood with strong Greek/Balkan/Persian vibes – so cool. The tea shop had an good selection of interesting blends, but I restrained myself from going too crazy (stop laughing) so I eventually decided on this tea. The smell drew me in right away – it reminded me of candied grapefruit. As it turns out, the grapefruit flavour is a bit too pungent for my tastes when the tea is plain, but with a splash of milk it turned into a wonderful, medium-strength cup of tea with a tangy, citrusy grapefruit flavour that’s almost juicy in nature. Much love.

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML