Grapefruit Earl Grey

Edit tea info Last updated by OMGsrsly

• “Unsweetened grapefruit juice meets earl grey! Boy, is this straightforward and tart, but in a good way. I think it hit its full potential as a refreshing citrus tea when it cooled down to...” Read full tasting note
    CrowKettle 493 tasting notes
  • “That's the end of this one! I knew it wouldn't last long. This tea delivers exactly what you'd expect from the title, and I really enjoy it, even if it is straightforward. I oversteeped it a...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1676 tasting notes
  • “Totally shared this with a friend at work today who needed a pick me up. It made my day because she got to drink this up and LOOOOOVED it (she's a fan of EG's and grapefruit) and i got one step...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4861 tasting notes
  • “I steeped this up and added milk and sugar crystals this morning. It's cooling on the table outside the lab, and I take a sip (gulp!) every time I walk past. It really does go well with milk, the...” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 1425 tasting notes

From Bayswater Tea Co.

1 tsp per 1 cup, steep 3-5 minutes.

(PS. CrowKettle needs to slow down! I keep getting errors because they’ve added the teas 2 seconds before I have!)

About Bayswater Tea Co. View company

Unsweetened grapefruit juice meets earl grey! Boy, is this straightforward and tart, but in a good way. I think it hit its full potential as a refreshing citrus tea when it cooled down to lukewarm/cool.

Despite not being a fan of earl greys, and being a tad skeptical on the shopkeeper’s enthusiasm for this one, I enjoyed this cup tonight. It’s definitely a summery tea, with some appeal to quiet evenings, curled up with a musty, old book on the family’s couch.. Geez, not quite sure how I’m still awake right now.

I’m glad I decided to split 50g of this with Cavocorax after all, and hope everyone from today’s meetup enjoys their new teas! Goodnight.

Woohoo! I’m happy you enjoyed it. I can’t wait to try it out. :D
It was pretty awesome hanging out too.

Wish I could have made it! Maybe next time hahaha

That’s the end of this one! I knew it wouldn’t last long. This tea delivers exactly what you’d expect from the title, and I really enjoy it, even if it is straightforward. I oversteeped it a little this morning, but that just gave it a bit of cremainess that I wasn’t expecting.

I think I’d pick up a little bit more if given the chance, but I wouldn’t go too far out of my way to do so. Can’t wait to get Sil and Kittenna their samples so I can see what they think.

I’m hanging out at York University for about 5 hours today, just to explore etc., but I sure wish I’d brought more than this with me! I suppose I’ll end up getting Tim Hortons coffee since there are 3 of those on campus. :P #teatraitor

Nxtdoor

York U alumnus here. York u is neat-o. Welcome to Ontario! Is Sil organizing a party yet? I’m in :)

Totally shared this with a friend at work today who needed a pick me up. It made my day because she got to drink this up and LOOOOOVED it (she’s a fan of EG’s and grapefruit) and i got one step closer to being back under terri’s cupboard count lol

I steeped this up and added milk and sugar crystals this morning. It’s cooling on the table outside the lab, and I take a sip (gulp!) every time I walk past. It really does go well with milk, the grapefruit flavour lends a bright summery note that is no where near “furniture polish” territory.

I think this one would be AMAZING iced, maybe with a couple grapefruit juice ice cubes.

A 2.5 minute steep was perfect. No astringency or bitterness or anything. 3 minutes for the Creme Brulee I had last night was almost too long, so I’d suggest being a little conservative with your steep times.

This is a tea I can see buying again. It’s an Earl Grey, yes, but it’s different enough that it’s refreshing the flavour in my mind instead of being the same old thing.

CrowKettle

I need to try this with milk now that you’ve shown the citrus doesn’t make it curdle. ;)

OMGsrsly

My evil secret: I used soy creamer. Takes a LOT for that stuff to curdle!

holy crap I need this, BIG TIME! O.o

CrowKettle

OMGsrsly thought of you right away when we smelled this one, and I think Heather brought some back for you! :)

OMGsrsly

(It was supposed to be a surprise!) Haha. Yeah, I bought 50g and kept some to try. I really like it, though…

Bear With Me

dies laughing i kind of guessed as soon as I’d hit “send”, but got too distracted reading about this stupid prednisone crap the endo has me on for the next week :P I love you guys! :D

Bear With Me

….I apparently fail at formatting O.o

CrowKettle

Whoops. Apparently I was more out of it yesterday then I’d thought, and totally missed that. My rep for spoiling surprises builds. Sorry Shayne and OMGsrsly! >.<

OMGsrsly

:D No worries. I mean, I did text Shayne and ask about Earl Greys…

CrowKettle

No!!! Don’t try to sugarcoat it. D: This is exactly what happened when Dumbledore died in the sixth book. I can’t believe I did it again!

Ah, anyways.. I hope you like this one, Shayne. I really enjoyed it too. :)

Bear With Me

she actually did text me about earl greys yesterday! so between that, and the fact that she knows I’m addicted to grapefruit teas, I kinda put two and two together ;)

Wait? What? Dumbledore dies??? /0\

Hahah. J/k. :)
(Although I think I did have that spoiled for me – thankfully no one could wreck 7 for me)

I got this tea as a last minute sample with our Vancouver meet up a few days ago. I’m a little hit or miss on Earl Grey tea. I like them, but sometimes the floral is too strong. This one is medium on the floral scent, but it is a strong smelling tea, which is actually ok with me, but proper storage would be better. I just have a small amount that was pilfered from ShayneBears sample.

Um, shifty eyes I might pilfer a little more of this before I give him the rest. It’s actually pretty good. At least with the steep I made this morning, I found that the predominant flavour profile was the bergamot, and the grapefruit gently mingled with but, but at the back. This could be because I added a little raw sugar and milk, so maybe the milk made the grapefruit less tart. I am gonna try this iced, and maybe in the style of a London Fog.

I don’t know if this is a repurchase or not yet, but we will see how the rest of my sample goes. It is very spring/summery, and as we head into cooler weather, this may not be on the top of my go to list.

Finally getting around to reviewing this. I got a sample from the Vancouver Meet crew a while back, but drank it too fast to manage a tasting note, haha!

First off, I definitely didn’t have optimum steeping parameters. I’m still laid up after trashing my ankle (though at this point the ankle is pretty good, but I still have hellish nerve pain in the thigh of that leg), so being able to do a decent steep is REALLY tough. I tend to stick with teas that I can just toss in a filter bag and throw in a leakproof travel mug with hot water, and basically forget about it. Normally not the best idea with blacks, but after getting my package from OMGsrsly and being punched in the face with grapefruity goodness as soon as I opened the box, I knew I wouldn’t be able to wait to have a cup of grapefruity bergamoty amazingness.

My filter bag has been in my 16oz leakproof mug for probably 20 minutes (water was originally about 90C so that I could drink it fairly quickly) and while it’s a tad pithy at this point, it’s not really bitter or astringent. It’s still incredibly juicy with a burst of citrus vibrancy, the grapefruit pithiness is just starting to show itself. But I like the pithiness, it’s part of why I like grapefruit so much. I’ve been living off of grapefruit juice and fruit cups (Costco has individual servings of grapefruit segments in white grape juice, so it’s easy for my mum to throw a couple of the cups in a cooler with a cold pack for me to eat while she’s at work) while i’ve been laid up. I can’t get enough of the stuff.

My only qualm with this tea is the fact that it’s only available at Bayswater in Vancouver, and I never get over to the mainland. But that’s why I love OMGsrsly so much, she makes a killer tea mule! ;)

Thanks again buddy, this has really made my “stall rest” a LOT better (and my room smells freaking incredible!)

Now to get around to trying all of the samples OMGsrsly sent (that she received from Sil and graciously shared with some of us Islanders via the package sent to my place) and add to my list of places I want to order from after the holidays as a reward for not causing mayhem while being laid up.

OMGsrsly

Haha! Not a problem. :) I totally forgot to get myself some of this one. I think I need to make another trip out to Kits.