Birthday Cake

Black Herbal Rooibos Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

From Bluebird Tea Co.

Vanilla sponge, notes of sweet icing + cake sprinkles!

Rooibus, Ceylon black tea, Almond, Cake Sprinkles, Calendula, Mallow flowers.

Let’s be honest, there is nothing better than cake. Except perhaps a cup of tea and cake! This delicious tea has both and almost no calories! Oh and did you notice the pretty sprinkles in there too? Talk about having your cake and eating it!

About Bluebird Tea Co. View company

My husband chose this as our last pot of tea for the night. It was a good call because I was hoping he would pick a nice Rooibos base.

It’s as beautiful as I remember. :) So creamy and sweet with pure vanilla and sugar notes. Shame my birthday has already come and gone, this would be a nice treat to sip on the day. Perhaps I will have to do so on my husbands birthday later in the year.

Boiling 8 min or more
JustJames

this describes something i would like…. yup, going to put it on my shopping list. i’ve heard good things about the company too!

Thanks for the sample Bluebird Tea
This was ok. Tasty. Mildly sweet with something hanging in the background. I suppose it could have been “cake”. I was a tad disappointed.

Yvonne

I’d love to try this – looks so cute!

Indigobloom

Yvonne, if you ever get the chance, let me know what you think :)

Yvonne

I sure will! :)

Cavocorax

Hmm. Sounds like a pass for me.

Amariel

Looks like an interesting tea, but the feedback isn’t stellar. Doesn’t seem to deliver in the cake department. I’d be concerned with the rooibos in it as I’ve had random issues with rooibos lately.

Ugh sipping this tea contemplating why people have to be butts & sell concert tickets for way over face value. «grumbles» I just wanna go see Hedley again & not break the bank.

I couldn’t figure out what the dry leaves smelt like, it was familiar; so I re-read the ingredients…. almond.
This is a really tasty tea, but I’m not convinced it tastes like cake, delicious, but not cake. I sear I get a blueberry taste. It’s sweet, without really being sweet… yea that doesnt makw much sense, but it is what it is lol
It’s vanilla & ok maybe I do get some cake flavours at the end of the sip. The rooibos is also light, which I like.

Boiling 8 min or more

Any tea with a cake aspect (especially a rooibos blend) jumps right into my shopping cart. I don’t really know what my fascination with cake flavored teas is.. it could be that cake is one of my favorite things to eat! Yellow, white, fruit, angel food, shortcake (I’ll pass on the chocolate, though) – CAKE CAKE CAKE!

The photo of this blend first caught my eye because of the adorable star-shaped sprinkles. It also seemed like a great new version of a cake tea.

After water has been poured over the tea, I smell a rather strong rooibos with a light medicinal note. There is something like cake in the background, but I can’t put my finger on what KIND of cake it would be. Sipping…. Hmm.. this is very tasty! I was a little concerned that the rooibos would taste medicinal, but it’s actually rather light. There is a bit of almond flavor that when mixed with everything actually tastes a little bit like cake. It’s not really a very buttery or sweet cake, but something a little drier.. crumbly.. maybe like a cookie?

I’ll likely purchase more of this in a future order. It’s light, yummy and different than anything else I have in my tea collection. Big thanks to Bluebird Tea for a sample!

Another sample!

I’m not getting cake in this – mostly rooibos with a bit of almond and some sweetness. It’s very tasty though, and the low caffeine level makes it a nice evening brew.

Hmmm… So this is my third or fourth time tasting this one, but I’m still not sure what I think of it.

I wish it was just pure rooibos, and not a rooibos-ceylon mix, because I can’t really tolerate caffeine late in the afternoon, so that kind of limits what time I can/cannot drink it. Anyways, this is a very pretty tea in it’s dry form.

I can’t really make much of it’s taste, though. Sometimes it reminds me almost of bubblegum? Occasionally I can taste something like vanilla, but other sips are just bland.

I don’t know – maybe I’ll play around with sweetening it and see what happens.

Birthday cake! Thank you for the sample, KittyLovesTea! The description says black tea but I don’t see any black leaves in my blend or in the picture of the tea. This is mostly rooibos but whoa is Bluebird’s rooibos some of the best: all smooth and delicious. It’s almost like strawberries! I can see why the rhubarb cream blend works so well. I think the sugar from the adorable star sprinkles are improving the rooibos. Other than that, I only see purple flowers in the blend and there isn’t much flavor other than the rooibos itself. I’m not really sure how this tea could claim to be cake, maybe it should just be called “birthday”. As a rooibos blend, this is a win. Rooibos haters could be swayed with Bluebird’s base, I think. I used a Tsac and there weren’t any rooibos particles in the mug. The second steep was good too, but it lost most of the strawberry flavor for some reason. Not bad, but I’d definitely prefer my favorite teas on my birthday (very well could be many of Bluebird’s blends).

Last tea before bed last night. Judging from the scent of the dry leaf, I was worried that this one was going to be pure rooibos. I couldn’t smell anything beyond a deep woodsiness, even while brewing. Thankfully, I was wrong. I gave this three minutes in boiling water, and added a splash of milk.

Admittedly, my first sip was fairly rooibossy. That quickly faded, though, and left a rich, creamy flavour, absolutely reminiscent of vanilla sponge. It’s a flavour that seems to build with successive sips, to the point where there’s even a hint of buttercream frosting, highlighted with a touch of almond.

This is a seriously yummy tea, and is more than likely to become a fixture on my pre-bedtime rotation for at least a few successive nights. I really like cake tea, and this is a particularly good one!

Boiling 3 min, 45 sec 1 tsp

2087 tasting notes

Sipdown!! (197)

Thank you Nattie for the chance to try this tea. Anytime I see “Birthday Cake” I am immediately intrigued so this one called to me. This one is actually really good. It tastes like sponge cake but also like baked goods made with almond flour. There is also a sweetness that definitely calls to mind just a touch of icing. Yum!

Thanks for the sample Nattie!

This tea didn’t have the overpowering taste that most red rooibois has, though that is due to the blend of black tea. I didn’t get birthday cake from this at all. It actually tasted quite plain.