Black Herbal Blend
Almond, Cookie, Floral, Malt, Raisins
Edit tea info Last updated by Shmiracles

From Custom-Adagio Teas, Cara McGee

A sweet, mature blend, with floral notes and a faint whiff of biscuits.

Inspired by BBC’s Sherlock, which I am in no way affiliated with. This is created purely for my own enjoyment.

assam melody, almond, osmanthus

About Custom-Adagio Teas, Cara McGee View company

I had such a wonderful day! I had a long walk in the canyon and my husband purchased me a copy of the Dhammapada. I’ve noticed that I have not been drinking many of my black tea blends; this one in particular. I think that this is largely due to the fact that it was pretty low key. The flavor is mainly sweet almond and slight floral notes. The black base is also very evident in this one. I always am cautious not to oversteep this one.

“There’s another bedroom upstairs, if you’ll be needing two bedrooms.”
“Of course we’ll be needing two bedrooms.”
“Oh, don’t worry. We get all sorts ‘round here. Mrs. Turner next door’s got married ones.”

i’ll be honest. this cup of tea is really very good.
i’m not sure that the half-a-sample-tin i’m splitting with moraiwe will be enough. it’s basically just assam and almond tea. simple.
and yet it tasted like old quilts and warm cookies. so warming and cozy when i brewed it first thing this morning! maybe i’m extra sensitive and susceptible first thing in the morning, but i’m still looking forward to another cup tomorrow :)
and i’m gonna have it with tea biscuits then too!

finished my sample up as i packed up tea swaps to mail tomorrow. there was something i really liked about this tea and if i keep considering it for weeks to come, which leads to buying some of my own or at least getting more in a swap, i wouldn’t be surprised.

I’m not your housekeeper dear. ;-)

Oh, asssam!

I didn’t like it as much as I thought I would, considering I love almonds, assam, and flowers. Should have had it with biscuits ;)

This is lovely! I really like the combination of almond flavour and the floral notes from the osmanthus. It’s fragrant and sweet, but not overwhelmingly so— a perfect match for Mrs. Hudson. Definitely one of my favourites so far.

Another from the sale – thank you MissB! Mrs. Hudson! I received four of these adorable tiny Sherlock tea tins from MissB’s sale. This one sounded like a unique blend and I know I like the Adagio Melody blend. I’ve tried the almond blend on its own – it was just okay. There is also osmanthus here as well. I’ve only tried one osmanthus flavored tea but it wasn’t Adagio… and it tasted like peach. Together, this isn’t the best Adagio blend. It’s really tough to tell any of the flavors that should be here and also wasn’t as delicious as the Melody base by itself. Really it was rather astringent. Mrs. Hudson would not approve. She loves her tea.

I felt like I needed a Mrs Hudson last night, but this tea was the closest I could get. Strong, comforting, sensitive. I used 1 tsp of leaf and gave it 3 minutes in boiling water. I added a splash of milk.

This tea is straight-talking. The Assam is the main component, and it’s quite robust, with a strong edge of malty sweetness. I can imagine it being a little rough around the edges without milk, but fortunately I pre-tamed mine. The second flavour that emerges is almond. It’s not strong, by any means, but it contributes the delicious flavour of cookies, and it works perfectly with the assam base. It’s a simple tea, but a delicious one, and I can see myself returning to it fairly frequently.

As a fandom blend, I think it characterises Mrs Hudson pretty well. Warm cookies and comfort blankets, reliable and straightforward. Strong, yet sensitive. The exotic floral of the osmanthus even captures the slight hint of the unusual in her background, although I didn’t find that I could really pick it out. Still, a minor complaint. I love Mrs Hudson – character and tea.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp

Mrs. Hudson, you smell like delicious noms, but you’re actually kind of plain and sharp, aren’t you? The dry leaf has an amazing almond sugar dessert aroma, while the liquid steam is full of raisins, malt and almond. The actual flavour is something else.

This assam nut tea is easily flattened and drowned out by milk, but somewhat nippy without it. I think I prefer it without the milk- at least the talons to the tongue keep me occupied, and they come armed with almond cookies! There’s also a juicy note that seeps out for the finish. There’s no denying this tea has a lot of life.

As with other Indian Assam varieties I’ve come across, I think I’d rather drink this alongside some yogurt. I like my tea a little tamer than this!

EDIT: Steeping this at 200F for a couple minutes yields more hospitable cookies, and less attitude. I miss the lack of raisin prevalence however.

Flavors: Almond, Cookie, Floral, Malt, Raisins

Had a cup today before packing up the rest – blew it though by oversteeping. Ah well.

195 °F / 90 °C 8 min or more

Brewed this up to go with my late night snack! I was in the mood for a really salty treat, like pretzels or tortilla chips. All I have is popcorn though, so kettle corn it is! I didn’t think my usual fruity tea would go along well, so I reached for this one out of my sampler. It’s still like I remember it, malty with that bit of almond that isn’t too strong. Added just a bit of sugar and it’s a perfect pairing!

Flavors: Malt