Japanese Sencha (organic)

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

• “I was not sure what I wanted to drink today so I started going through my tea cabinet and I found this. Only 2 servings left on the bottom of the tin can, breathing all this air... how could I let...” Read full tasting note
    Kamyria 125 tasting notes
  • “idk what i was thinking only bringing 3 teas with me to work. idk what i was thinking placing ANOTHER order to davidstea before the last one arrives. idk what i was thinking staying up till...” Read full tasting note
    shmiracles 710 tasting notes
  • “Yum! Another Advent Calendar sample. Not quite gone yet, but now there's just a single cup left :) I think this tea's a little old now, but it's still tasty enough; I really love green teas that...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2221 tasting notes
  • “Working through a bunch of old samples. I got this in a sampler pack and was wary of trying it because I haven't had a sencha that I liked before. I do like this one though. It's very light with...” Read full tasting note
    michellefeda 318 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Light and brisk

Japanese monks were writing about tea in the 9th century, but the world had to wait until 1740 for Sencha, when a tea merchant named Nagatani perfected a new process of steaming, rolling and heat-drying green tea. The result? An emerald-green tea that’s refreshing and smooth. No wonder it’s Japan’s most popular drink. (MK Kosher)

Ingredients: Fine organic steamed Japanese green tea from Shizuoka Prefecture, Japan.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I was not sure what I wanted to drink today so I started going through my tea cabinet and I found this. Only 2 servings left on the bottom of the tin can, breathing all this air… how could I let that happen?? I decided to steep one of the remaining servings and I put the rest into a small plastic bag to eliminate any further air damage.

I felt a little scared while the tea was brewing… Did my careless actions rendered this tea undrinkable? I steeped it at 74C for 2 minutes and watched the color develop. Relief… It brewed its regular green color but will it taste the same?

Well, yes and no. It’s not as fresh and full bodied as I remember it to be but still very tasty, very vegetal and smooth with a slight astringency (not bitter) lingering at the back of my tongue. I will have to use up that last serving sometime soon though.

By the way… I wanted to put spinach as one of the flavours but there was no spinach flavour listed… I found sand instead. What does the sand taste like?

idk what i was thinking only bringing 3 teas with me to work.

idk what i was thinking staying up till 1am when i knew i have to run 7 miles today.

it’s just not the smoothest of days. but crap am i excited to drink my future new tea!

Shmiracles

plus sale teapots.

Cavocorax

Oooh! Exciting! (All the new orders that is). Hope that’s enough to keep you through the day!

Yum! Another Advent Calendar sample. Not quite gone yet, but now there’s just a single cup left :) I think this tea’s a little old now, but it’s still tasty enough; I really love green teas that have caramel notes, and this one certainly doesn’t disappoint in that area! It tastes like a fairly straightforward green, a bit vegetal but not overly, and not particularly mariney. It probably wouldn’t be my first choice of green tea, but it’s pretty good and I’ll happily have that last cup of it, unless my roomie beats me to it!

ETA: Second infusion, ~1:30 is not bad, but it’s a bit more marine, and less caramelly. Won’t take this one to a third infusion.

Working through a bunch of old samples. I got this in a sampler pack and was wary of trying it because I haven’t had a sencha that I liked before. I do like this one though. It’s very light with just a hint of the vegetal, not overwhelmingly spinach-like as with some of them I’ve tried. All in all, it’s decent. I preferred their Sencha Ashikubo, but this was a good pot of tea!

Stole this one from my coworkers 24 days of tea today. Wow, I don’t know if it had gone stale or what because it was not a good cup. After a three minute steep it was still almost tasteless, despite a small cup and a lot of leaf, so I left the bag in. Ten minutes passed and it was still almost tasteless so I still left it in and went up to the service desk. Where suddenly it was burnt. How that happened I have no idea but it was just overall a depressing cup of tea.

Finished off my small 25g bag of this. I was hoping to enjoy this (because its kind of cheap), but it just didn’t work out. It’s like meeting someone who looks attractive, and you both probably share the same interests, but then they open their mouth and say something incredibly stupid/insulting. :( I want to like you but I just can’t!

I probably won’t be buying any regular pouches of green tea for a while, and just work with samples until I find something enjoyable. Most of the time when I taste unflavoured teas they have at least one quality I like, but with these last green teas I’ve tried they just leave me feeling disappointed.

I’ve got a rather expensive wager with my sister in law going on.
We’re both trying to lose 20lbs by summer.
Loser pays for a hotel room in Grand Forks for a shopping trip. (And if we both lose the weight, nobody pays because we’ll be so busy having slamming beach parties.)
So I’m trying to reduce my intake of sweets, and that includes dessert teas.
Hello, Japanese Sencha.
On to the tasting.
I’m pretty sure I didn’t put enough tea in (okay, yes, I eyeballed it) because it doesn’t have much of a scent. Not the heady, lush amazingness I loved the first time. How sad.
Upon tasting, I’m convinced that I’ve brewed this tragically wrong. I should find out the dimensions of my little teapot so that I don’t make this mistake in the future. Very disappointing, especially considering the tiny amout of this tea that I have available (it came in a World Tour box.)

On a more serious note, the Shizuoka prefecture — where this tea is harvested — was where the 6.0 aftershock took place (yesterday, was it?) So good vibes and thoughts to the people living in the area as well as the rest of Japan.

Maxime-Daniel Friðrikson

So, it’s you who busted the little Japanese Sencha which left in stock before i’ll command my two teas! hahaha, definitely I need to try this one.

Thanks for the review!

Dry: Small, fine bits of dark green tea leaves. They look almost pressed as the dry leaf; maybe that is the steaming process? The aroma from the bag is lovely. Grassy, sweet, very pleasant.

Steeped: Clear soft green liquor. Smells like a meadow at the time hay is being harvested for lack of a better description. Vegetal and mild.

Taste: This tastes fairly different to me from what I expected in the dry and steeped smell. Primarily marine in nature to my taste buds, it does not have much in the way of sweet grassy notes. More seaweed and spinach and less hay, for lack of a better description. I don’t dislike this tea at all, but I have to be in the mood for this flavor on the tongue. I added honey to the second steep and it was still a nice cup and a bit less oceanic.

Dry Leaf Nose: Refreshing. Chlorophyl & tea leaves with some buttery notes.

Liquor: Clear and light green liquor with a nice vegetal aroma.

Flavour: This tea has a very distinct grassy character with a slightly salty note that’s reminiscent of ocean air. The overall impression is one of fresh grass and sea air.

I really liked this one. I am a huge fan of green teas and this one was really good. It tasted like real green tea should, not very bitter and oceanic. I think this will be my regular green tea because the price is decent, and the taste is great (: