Yuzu Kukicha

Green Tea
Citrus, Creamy, Grass, Lemon, Peas, Sweet, Vegetal, Green
Edit tea info Last updated by Shinobi_cha

From Den's Tea

Our Yuzu Kukicha is made with first flush Kukicha, dried Yuzu chips, and a hint of Matcha. Yuzu is not usually consumed by itself due to its sourness; instead, its rind is used as a garnish or small slivers are added to dishes to enhance their flavor. Since Yuzu is usually available only in the winter in Japan, we are supplying this tea only until the end of January or while supplies last.

•Origin: Shizuoka
•Harvest: First Flush
•Species: Yabukita

Yuzu is distinct from lemons, limes, or any other Western citrus fruit. The impressive mild green vegetable flavor of Kukicha is perked up by the unique citrus flavor while the Matcha adds a little sweetness.

Water: 3oz @ 180F
Leaves: 2 grams or 1 rounded teaspoon
Steep: 60 sec
2nd Cup: Water boiled; Steep 15 sec

About Den's Tea View company

Sip down!

Wow, there was quite a bit of tea for 2oz, I even tea traded some away.
Anyways, I’m having this iced, which came out lemony grapefruit bitter tart with lots of grassy matcha. I’m thinking the matcha in this gives the blend an energetic pep, especially since this is a winter tea to kill cold weather blues. However, it is still good in the summer for a refreshing iced energizer!

I need to sample more of Den’s flavored teas, but I love Sakura the best.

Checking my blog, whoa, this was one of the early reviews I did! http://oolongowl.com/2013/01/19/yuzu-kukicha-from-dens-tea-tea-review/

I’ve only had Sakura and Pineapple but they were both DELISH

Hmm. sighs I guess I’ll add Den’s Teas to my list of tea companies to order from next…Della Terra, Butiki, Georgia Tea Company, Harney & Sons, Teavivre. Not in that order of course;) Oh and of course David’s Tea, though I really should wait til next Spring before ordering with them again.

I think I could become very fond of this tea.

When I opened the package there were the familiar bright green twigs of kukicha, along with small yellow-orange flecks of yuzu and green matcha powder coating the inside of the bag (I reminded myself not to inhale too deeply). The yuzu smell is very strong when you smell this!

This brews up into a dark olive green liquid made slightly cloudy from the matcha powder. I haven’t had many yuzu flavored things, so this was fun to taste! There was a bit of kukicha flavor and then pow! tart yuzu, almost like lemon but my taste buds couldn’t quite place it. They went it’s like lemon…but no…maybe more like a mandarin…no…
The yuzu is a bit tart, but nowhere near hibiscus tart, just a pleasant citrus flavor. I think this could be really tasty iced.

Special thanks to Alphakitty for this one! I’ve enjoyed Yuzu lately. I think it especially goes good with green teas – both vegetal and sweet greens. This follows suit. It’s sweet-yuzu-orangish with a vegetal yet grassy-green tea base.

It’s brothy but sort of like flavored matcha but more than that.

It’s a goodie!

I may add more, or adjust the rating, since this is just my initial impression, however, without further adieu —

The dry leaf smells nice, definitely citrusy.
The leaf after infusion is really interesting. It is very savory, like spices from a dry rub marinade…do I detect lemon pepper? basil? sage? I think so.

The citrus from the yuzu is very nice; it is an enjoyable tart and a bit sweet, rather than sour. The kukicha is not overly strong, but is sweet and very approachable. This is a very fun tea, and like the other flavored options from Den’s, they seem to have done a very good job of adding a good flavor without taking from the excellent tea base.

Very interesting stuff and my first encounter with yuzu. I found the citrusy flavor was much more prominent in the second steeping.

I agree, I think the savory flavor is more prominent the first steep (with citrus only coming out at the end) and the second has a lot more noticeably citrus flavor throughout.

This is a really uplifting cup of tea. I actually got worried about this after ordering it by reading several “sour” descriptions of yuzu, never having encountered yuzu before. But it really works here. This tastes pretty much like Den’s sencha with matcha, though lighter on the matcha. Then there’s an added, citrusy tang at the end of the sip. I would describe it as more sour than sweet, but not in a mouth-puckering way. It just makes a very fresh-tasting tea. Very nice. Though it still doesn’t stand up to the pineapple sencha for me!

Den’s tea sample of the month. I saw this tea featured on the website when I placed my order for Sencha Fuka Midori, but I didn’t order any. I don’t like naturally citrusy greens, so I didn’t expect to like one with yuzu chips. But I got a sample, so I tried it anyway.

It really is a nice refreshing tea, the kind I’d drink when I’ve had too many flavored samples in a row. My biggest complaint isn’t so much the yuzu flavor, but the bitterness, which might be due to the yuzu, I don’t know.

Anyway, it’s better than I thought it would be, but I am super picky about my green teas and I already have enough favorites to keep my cupboard full, so this won’t be joining them.

Here’s a picture of the tea in the pretty new tea cup that I got for my birthday yesterday:

I’ve wanted this mug since I first saw it in the Republic of Tea Catalogue. It’s just the right size (10oz) for me and a perfect weight. I don’t like heavy/bulky mugs and I usually have to settle for flimsy mugs that feel like toys, which are still better than getting a sore wrist from the heavier ones. But this one has a nice sturdy feel too it without being painful to hold for a long time. So lovely. :)

That is a pretty mug. Love the color!

Well, this is the closest thing I have to a grapefruit tea after that Adagio sample. At least I know this one will be high quality! Stephanie and I split a package of this since neither of us wanted a full 2 ounces without trying it first. Yay for tea frens! I really liked the two Kukichas I tried recently from Yunomi, so I’m excited for this one. Inside the pouch are flat green stems along with teeny pieces of citrus peel, all coated in fine green powder. Dry scent is fairly strong on the citrus (I’ve never had a yuzu before, but I would describe the scent as somewhere between tangerine and lemon).

There’s actually not a lot of yuzu flavor in the taste, but it’s very delicious overall. The kukicha is mildly grassy/vegetal with a ton of sweetness (probably from the matcha as well). The yuzu flavor is more of an accent than the star. There’s just a bit of citrusy freshness that pops out at some moments, and especially in the aftertaste. Overall, it’s sweet, creamy, and delicious!

Flavors: Citrus, Creamy, Grass, Lemon, Peas, Sweet, Vegetal

I found this to be a really bitter tea. Not fun to drink at all. I followed the instructions when making it and I wonder if messing around with the amount and volume might have helped. But I only had a sample. Still, I didn’t find anything in the flavor to really love.

Flavors: Green

180 °F / 82 °C 1 min, 0 sec 2 g 3 OZ / 88 ML

well, den’s website says there’s no more of this until next year. sigh i’ll have to savor what is left – i am savoring a cup right now, and it is the PERFECT hot drink for a cold yucky afternoon indoors with a fluffy dog and a fluffy lapblanket. mmmmmm….

This just came in the mail today. I got a 2oz (56g) package because Den’s does a wonderful job with their seasonal teas, and I always like to get in early, especially with ones like their Sakura Sencha. They even included a sample of the Yuzu Kukicha and a complementary box of Earl Grey Fair Trade Organic Black Tea, which was a fun surprise as I had some of that in a sampler not too long ago.

Anyway, back to the Yuzu Kukicha. The smell when you open the bag is, in a word, interesting. Definitely a presence of citrus – that unique Japanese citric element that all Japan-enthusiasts come to recognize and love. It’s a beautiful color and the matcha is very pretty inside the bag.

First steep: Lovely color, just a gorgeous lime green. It is certainly a green tea, no mistaking it. The citrus doesn’t taste as strongly as you’d expect from the aroma, but it’s there, and it’s a delicious member of the drink. That being said, as the tea cools, the citrus becomes more noticeable, but the astringency does too, with a hint of fresh bitterness.

Overall, I like this tea. Perhaps not my absolute favorite Kukicha (I personally love their Tencha-Kuki Houjicha) but it’s certainly a wonderful seasonal drink. Den’s, of course, does such an amazing job with all of their teas and products that you end up sticking to the teas you were born with an enjoyment of; which is no insult to any of their teas, but humans are born with certain palates, and Den’s has the best of every tea, so you’ll naturally stick to what you like. But this tea is just wonderful and I recommend it to those who are in their stages of Green Tea Enthusiasm from advanced novices, all the way to fanatics.

Thanks Den! You’ve done it again!