L'Hiver (Winter Tea)

White Tea
Lemon Zest, Vanilla
Edit tea info Last updated by Kaylee

• “I'm not really sure what possessed me to buy an entire tin of a white tea. But i did. I think i was carried away with that whole FAUCHON! at winners! stupidly cheap prices! GO! so now i have a...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4704 tasting notes
  • “We woke up with a little bit of snow outside yesterday, so it seems like the right time to whip out the Winter Tea. I haven't tried this but when *QueenofTarts* put it up for sale, I thought I...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1630 tasting notes
  • “Im choosing this tea today for the obvious: WINTER!!! I love winter, always had. I love that it's crisp and white, I've always felt that winter was nature's auto cleansing system... Like a reset...” Read full tasting note
    TheTeaFairy 346 tasting notes
  • “This is another super generous sample I received from *Sil*! Thank you so much! I'm even more excited about this blend because of how much I fell in love with Noël à Venise from Dammann...that...” Read full tasting note
    kellyhinton 779 tasting notes

From Fauchon

What’s there to do in Paris in the afternoon? Thousands of things. Nothing. Drink tea. Always in style.

White tea and lemongrass, with delicate and fresh notes, scented with lemon, vanilla and cream flavours.

White Tea (China), crispy yogurt (skim milk yogurt, sugar, maltodextrin, modified starch E1412, citric acid), lemongrass, lemon myrtle, natural lemon flavor, vanilla flavor. Allergens Contains milk. May contain traces of nuts.

About Fauchon View company

I’m not really sure what possessed me to buy an entire tin of a white tea. But i did. I think i was carried away with that whole FAUCHON! at winners! stupidly cheap prices! GO! so now i have a huge tin of this. And i don’t really like white teas…

but this tea? I like it! so ha! I couldn’t drink this everyday but it’s certainly a tasty tea. Creamy vanilla delicious tea with a splash of “wake up! it’s lemon!” :) Yep…i will enjoy this, though it may take me the whole year to drink it.

Tuscanteal

I had this tin in my hand when I was buying fauchon and then put it back for the same reason. I don’t drink much white tea. I regret not getting it to even try it, but oh well

Peter

If it’s white tea, what is the quality of the leaves? Whole or mostly broken?

more whole than broken? :)

BrewTEAlly Sweet

I may have to swap you for some :) this sounds perfect for my 4am early morning shifts :)

i’m open to that. I like new teas…just won’t be organised to be doing a swap until January but poke me then for sure!

(tuscanteal – offer is open to you as well if you just want to be able to try it)

…and uh peter too if that’s what you were after when inquiring about the leaves lol

Peter

The leaves, the leaves, look at the leaves. (Little Britain :-) I was just curious. Not my cup at all.

haha :)

BrewTEAlly Sweet

Awesome! Ha ha I’m in the same boat! January is perfect! Yay I can’t wait!

Terri HarpLady

You can also toss a bit in my box :)

terri – this is one of the teas that will all be part of the christmas BBB Box from me haha

(i said whatever to that whole non flavoured because it’s spiffy christmas holiday time!)

Terri HarpLady

(Hey, we can do whatever we want…it’s our box, right?)

We woke up with a little bit of snow outside yesterday, so it seems like the right time to whip out the Winter Tea. I haven’t tried this but when QueenofTarts put it up for sale, I thought I would give it a try, especially when the forums are abuzz with talk of Fauchon and Mariage Freres.

This is such a light and mild tea. It’s creamy, with a nice mixture of lemon and vanilla. I think I detect the white tea in the background, but only when I actively think about it – white tea is so subtle!

I was wondering why this would be called L’Hiver, but I think I get it. It’s just so milk and lightly refreshing that it just hints at Spring and provides a bit warmth through the gloomiest winter.

Nxtdoor

A little bit? I had to shovel this morning. Really shovel. For 20 minutes, till my extremities were kinda numb so I went inside. Brrrr.

haha snow out front of our places is almost all melted

Cavocorax

Yikes! I didn’t even go outside yesterday so I don’t know how bad it was then, but not it looks warm and melty with the green grass poking through…

OMGsrsly

Oh man, I was looking for this one. Would you mind sharing a bit? :)

Cavocorax

Sure! I didn’t get much, but I could send enough for 1-2 cups. :)
Is there anything else you want me to bundle up and send your way?

OMGsrsly

Haha. Caramel popcorn matcha? Maybe just one serving? :D Ooh, and peanut butter? Same thing. Ooo, matcha.

Cavocorax

Yep – I can give you a few scoops of those. PM me your address!

Woohoo! :)

Im choosing this tea today for the obvious: WINTER!!!

I love winter, always had. I love that it’s crisp and white, I’ve always felt that winter was nature’s auto cleansing system… Like a reset button among the seasons, it erases everything in the waiting of the grand rebirth that spring will bring along…eventually!

But, as much as I like it, I’ll admit that it’s taking its toll on me right now. I’ve been shovelling 3 days in a row just to clean the access to my doors, and guess what? When it’s finally said and done…It snows again!!! Yay, more shovelling for my aching arms today!!

Lovely Sil made sure to include French teas in the box she sent me. I never miss an opportunity to try French teas, they get me closer to a fantasy I was probably born with of having tea in Paris someday…

This is a white tea, which is very “à propos”. It says lemon and cream, and it delivers just that. A sweet and creamy citrus aroma that tastes more like grapefruit than lemon to me. Actually, this tea reminds me a lot of Grapefruit Dragon from Butiki but a lot sweeter. The white base is of excellent quality which is to be expected.

It will make an incredible ice tea, that’s why I’ve cold brewed what I had left.

This is lovely, perfect afternoon tea to warm me up after a good shovelling workout. And it feeds my dream of having tea at Angelina’s one day…

It was also my first Fauchon tea ever, and I’ve got only Sil to thank for that :-)

Yvonne

Congrats on your first Fauchon tea! :) I have yet to try one myself but they sound wonderful!

Stephanie

Sounds like a lovely tea, and I’m having similar feelings about winter right about now. This one has been extra tough!

Dexter

If it’s a fantasy that you were born with then I think you should find a family member/friend/tea buddy and go and drink tea in Paris….

TheTeaFairy

Yvonne, I feel so lucky I have a few more to try :-)

Stephanie, I totally feel the same!!!

Dexter, thanks, I will definitely find a way to make it happen :-)

Stephanie

Now that my student loan is payed off I’m saving up for a trip to Paris. You know, unless other “life” type stuff gets in the way between now and then :P

TheTeaFairy

Well my only advice to you is: go now!!!! Hurry!!!! Don’t wait so long like I have, if I could turn back time, that’s what i would do…but it’s never too late as they say, right?

TeaFairy… meet you in Paris? :)

This is another super generous sample I received from Sil! Thank you so much!

I’m even more excited about this blend because of how much I fell in love with Noël à Venise from Dammann…that has had me craving a vanilla lemon tea. This one doesn’t have a black base, but it’s French and smells heavenly, so I am happy to use it as a substitute in the meantime. (BTW, Sil, I totally sent that shopping link to my boyfriends’ parents so I’m thinking that I will be getting some Christmas tea thanks to you! You really are my Steepster Santa!)

I don’t actually get much scent from the dry leaf, though I think it’s because it’s so delicate that a lot of the fruitier teas it was shipped with have overtaken it. None of that has carried over to the steeped tea, though, which I am drinking sans additives and after steeping at the below parameters.

Whereas Noël à Venise was more lemony, this tea stresses the vanilla first and foremost. That’s a good thing here, as the white tea is very light and needs some heaviness if it’s going to boast of being a winter tea. The vanilla manifests as a heavy sweet cream note with a slight lemon tang on the swallow. This is not a cold dark blizzard kind of tea. It is the liquid equivalent of waking up to a sunny cold morning and seeing the ground blanketed with snow.

I am not a white tea drinker normally but it does work here. This is my first Fauchon tea and I am impressed. Too bad my bank account isn’t going to be with all those foreign transaction fees in my future, haha.

I don’t like white teas most of the time but this one is pretty good. Glad you’re having fun with them :)

The last wee bit of my sample from Cavocorax.

While this is a white tea, and a bai mu dan rather than a silver needle, if I saw this tea somewhere I’d buy it. There’s this delicate creamy lemon flavour (cream enhanced because I’m eating maple walnut ice cream for dinner), and I really quite like it. If I had a lot of this tea I could see it being great iced or cold brewed.

And while I’m thinking about lemon teas, I can hardly wait to make a Butiki order and get some of the Lemon Macaron tea. Butiki is (funnily enough) more accessible to me, and also it’s a white Indian tea, which tickles my fancy a lot more than bai mu dan. :)

Thanks, Cavo! This is definitely a tea style I need in my cupboard.

VariaTEA

I would definitely pick this up if I saw them in store.

VariaTEA

*saw it

I got this from QueenOfTarts Tea Stash Sale. Thank you! I am so glad I picked the last few cups up from you. I am always in search of a good lemon tea.

When I opened the package the overpowering smell of lemon grass hit my nose and I was a bit scared. First taste, the lemon grass is there with the creamy vanilla. I wish the grassyness of the lemongrass was a bit more mellow, but overall this is really good.

I steeped this a second time and the zing of the lemon was a bit less bringing out a bit more of the creamy vanilla. I have never had the creamy lemon combo in tea before. I may have to search Steepster to see what other teas our out there like this. Great bed time tea!

1913 tasting notes

I did not buy this tea when it showed up at the discount stores, but I was curious so I asked MissB for a sample. I knew when I pulled it out today that I would have to drink it today… what a wintery day!

This smells nicely lemony with a bit of white tea and a bit of cream. Yes, this is a relatively lightly flavored tea (which is I guess somewhat unusual for Fauchon), but I enjoy it. It has a nice, creamy texture with a lemony zing. Glad I got to try this one!

The scent of this tea is of white tea, lemongrass and a hint of something creamy. Usually I don’t pick out the individual ingredients just by the scent, but this one puts it right in front of your nose!

Sipping… this tea is so straight-forward… it’s as if every element from the scent has been enhanced and translated right into the flavor. Lemongrass is the most prominent note for me, closely followed by the white tea. I wish there were more of the cream/vanilla, but it hides in the background and isn’t completely missing.

I like this tea, but have to be in the mood for it. It’s not a blend that I can drink anytime, but it’s not one that I would avoid either.

Thanks to RogersCK for a sample of this! I love how creamy and lemon-y this tastes. Despite its delicateness, this blend holds it own without any problem whatsoever. I can definitely envision curling up with cup of this and watching snow fall softly outside. Mmmm… yes, winter suddenly sounds much more appealing.

keychange

I love, love any tea that makes an impending winter actually seem pleasant.

This smells much more vanilla than it tastes, which doesn’t much surprise me about a white tea. But yes, I can taste a light vanilla and a little lemon. It smells sweeter than it tastes. I don’t think I’d reach for this white over some others, but it was nice to try. Thanks, Sil!