Formosa Oolong

Oolong Tea
Dark Bittersweet, Plums, Toasty, Wood, Autumn Leaf Pile, Nuts, Raisins, Roasted
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “I’m not sure why I felt like Oolong this morning. This is a nice nutty toasty tasting tea. This tea is smooth w/o any bitterness or astringency. I’m getting ready to leave on vacation...” Read full tasting note
    Maniac49 429 tasting notes
  • “1 tsp for 4 oz
    Taste test of 2 Formosa Oolongs
    Adagio: Formosa Oolong #8 ($4.00/oz) A little thin and too astringent Harney & Sons: Formosa Oolong ($1.67/oz) More flavorful and...” Read full tasting note
    RachelJ 110 tasting notes
  • “This tea is fascinating. In the Harney book Michael talks about how this is a throwback tea, what Americans drank 20 or 30 years ago before we all had access to and knew about the innovative ever...” Read full tasting note
    ifjuly 613 tasting notes
  • “I had two steeps of this tea yesterday too. It was an oolong day! This tea was definitely a dark oolong, with some roastiness, but ever so delicate. I was really surprised at how delicate it was,...” Read full tasting note
    Tealizzy 818 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

This is the style of brown oolong that generations of Americans loved. It was the toasty flavor that they enjoyed. Don’t worry about the stems, that is how the Taiwanese do this tea.

About Harney & Sons View company

The more I drink this tea, the more I enjoy it. really rich color and scent. Perfect for my morning tea of choice.

This is the second time I’ve tried this tea. I used two teaspoons of tea in a large (3") tea ball and made it in a large (12oz+) mug. I really enjoyed this cup. The flavor was smooth and reminded me very much of the tea I used to get at the Chinese restaurants I visited as a child (before quickie joints became the norm). I was pleasantly surprised by this tea.

I re-steeped the leaves for 7 minutes and the second cup was a bit lighter than the first but no less flavorful. I’m not sure if I’m using the “correct” method for making oolong teas but at least I’m enjoying them.

Dark Oolong with a light amber color. Smooth and sweet flavor of roasted root vegetables like a mix of a carrot or parsnip and a sweet potato. Not too complex, but quite tasty.

My first loose oolong, but I know I’ve experienced this flavor before. As Susan said before, this is the Classic Chinese restaurant tea. Its sweet, with a light woodsy aftertaste. This isn’t a very sophisticated description, but I think this flavor is similar to a Raisin Bran cereal in smooth liquid form.

Dark green and brown leaves, somewhat wrinkled and torn with red brown bits of stems about 2 cm long. Subtle earthy, black coffeeish smell from the wet leaves – steeps to a medium brown color.

The cafe described it very simply as “a Taiwanese, nutty, tea”
Its definitely Oolong, but I found my particular cup to be much more plum. Toasty, but plum. It has a slow dry woody start, but a sweet bright finish. A likable tea, especially as a compliment to something sweet (I had it with a dark chocolate kissed vanilla bean bun).

Flavors: Dark Bittersweet, Plums, Toasty, Wood

4 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

I’m not really sure why, but this tea goes amazing well with peanut butter toast in the morning. I discovered this awhile back, and I’ve repeated it ever since…
Maybe it’s because of that slight raisin note… I don’t know, but it just works. :)
I really do love this tea. It’s one I turn to when I’m looking for a no frills sort of cup, but at the same time I feel like that isn’t giving it enough credit, because it has it’s own thing going on. It’s deep and round at the beginning of a sip, ending bright, leaving your mouth feeling refreshed.
I’m going to go eat my peanut butter toast now (and watch the new Sailor Moon, since my daughter and I have fallen quite behind…)

boychik

i like this one. its comforting

If you haven’t noticed, I’ve been working on getting through all of my oolong samples lately. I think it’s partially because I feel bad for ignoring them and partially because trying all of my free TeaVivre samples has made me want to try new teas rather than drinking ones I’ve already tasted. This sample came from boychik (who still hasn’t gotten back to me about what she wants me to send back!). I confess, I’m unsure what exactly “Formosa Oolong” is supposed to mean. I thought I read somewhere that it’s equivalent to Bai Hao, but these leaves look nothing like other Bai Hao teas I’ve seen. Hm, oh well! The leaves here are a dark chocolate brown and quite broken up, and there are a few stems included. Dry scent is heavy on the autumn leaves and roastiness.

The steeped tea smells very roasty, similar to a heavily roasted tie guan yin. It also tastes roasted, although I would say it’s more similar to a medium roast than a heavy one. I can see a bit of similarity to Bai Hao underneath – there’s a light raisin flavor and some nuttiness. Overall, this tea is a bit too one-note for me, it mostly just tastes like roasted autumn leaves. Not bad, but not great either.

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Nuts, Raisins, Roasted

boychik

dont worry abt it, one day i will demand teas fr you!

boychik

read abt this tea on H&S. they say its like some tea was served many yrs ago in american restaurants.

My first oolong tea! A pretty good adventure, definitely trying other oolongs after this!

185 °F / 85 °C 2 min, 15 sec 2 g 250 OZ / 7393 ML

Tasted earthy, vegetaly to me. Similar to Hao Y B by Harney & Sons, but lighter.

I received this from a swap with DeleriumFrogs. Thank you!

Wow! Harney strikes again. I love Harney teas for a few reason. They all aren’t my favorite teas, but they are teas that can stand up to a beating and for the price they make amazing work teas. This is another tea that will be going on my wishlist from Harney. It has the roasty oolong flavor that I like and it has hints of sweet. I am so glad that you included this in the swap. I am not sure I would have tried this on my own. Thank you!

5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML