Formosa Oolong

Oolong Tea
Autumn Leaf Pile, Nuts, Raisins, Roasted
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

From Harney & Sons

This is the style of brown oolong that generations of Americans loved. It was the toasty flavor that they enjoyed. Don’t worry about the stems, that is how the Taiwanese do this tea.

About Harney & Sons View company

The more I drink this tea, the more I enjoy it. really rich color and scent. Perfect for my morning tea of choice.

This is the second time I’ve tried this tea. I used two teaspoons of tea in a large (3") tea ball and made it in a large (12oz+) mug. I really enjoyed this cup. The flavor was smooth and reminded me very much of the tea I used to get at the Chinese restaurants I visited as a child (before quickie joints became the norm). I was pleasantly surprised by this tea.

I re-steeped the leaves for 7 minutes and the second cup was a bit lighter than the first but no less flavorful. I’m not sure if I’m using the “correct” method for making oolong teas but at least I’m enjoying them.

Dark Oolong with a light amber color. Smooth and sweet flavor of roasted root vegetables like a mix of a carrot or parsnip and a sweet potato. Not too complex, but quite tasty.

My first loose oolong, but I know I’ve experienced this flavor before. As Susan said before, this is the Classic Chinese restaurant tea. Its sweet, with a light woodsy aftertaste. This isn’t a very sophisticated description, but I think this flavor is similar to a Raisin Bran cereal in smooth liquid form.

I’m not really sure why, but this tea goes amazing well with peanut butter toast in the morning. I discovered this awhile back, and I’ve repeated it ever since…
Maybe it’s because of that slight raisin note… I don’t know, but it just works. :)
I really do love this tea. It’s one I turn to when I’m looking for a no frills sort of cup, but at the same time I feel like that isn’t giving it enough credit, because it has it’s own thing going on. It’s deep and round at the beginning of a sip, ending bright, leaving your mouth feeling refreshed.
I’m going to go eat my peanut butter toast now (and watch the new Sailor Moon, since my daughter and I have fallen quite behind…)

boychik

i like this one. its comforting

If you haven’t noticed, I’ve been working on getting through all of my oolong samples lately. I think it’s partially because I feel bad for ignoring them and partially because trying all of my free TeaVivre samples has made me want to try new teas rather than drinking ones I’ve already tasted. This sample came from boychik (who still hasn’t gotten back to me about what she wants me to send back!). I confess, I’m unsure what exactly “Formosa Oolong” is supposed to mean. I thought I read somewhere that it’s equivalent to Bai Hao, but these leaves look nothing like other Bai Hao teas I’ve seen. Hm, oh well! The leaves here are a dark chocolate brown and quite broken up, and there are a few stems included. Dry scent is heavy on the autumn leaves and roastiness.

The steeped tea smells very roasty, similar to a heavily roasted tie guan yin. It also tastes roasted, although I would say it’s more similar to a medium roast than a heavy one. I can see a bit of similarity to Bai Hao underneath – there’s a light raisin flavor and some nuttiness. Overall, this tea is a bit too one-note for me, it mostly just tastes like roasted autumn leaves. Not bad, but not great either.

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Nuts, Raisins, Roasted

boychik

dont worry abt it, one day i will demand teas fr you!

boychik

read abt this tea on H&S. they say its like some tea was served many yrs ago in american restaurants.

My first oolong tea! A pretty good adventure, definitely trying other oolongs after this!

185 °F / 85 °C 2 min, 15 sec 2 g 250 OZ / 7393 ML

Tasted earthy, vegetaly to me. Similar to Hao Y B by Harney & Sons, but lighter.

I received this from a swap with DeleriumFrogs. Thank you!

Wow! Harney strikes again. I love Harney teas for a few reason. They all aren’t my favorite teas, but they are teas that can stand up to a beating and for the price they make amazing work teas. This is another tea that will be going on my wishlist from Harney. It has the roasty oolong flavor that I like and it has hints of sweet. I am so glad that you included this in the swap. I am not sure I would have tried this on my own. Thank you!

5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

this is quite full-bodied as far as any oolongs i’ve tried (and most have been extremely delicate in my experience) & it has a distinct character that from both the dry leaf & the steeped liquor would appear to be some kind of delicate black tea. perhaps a darjeeling (non-muscatel)? or a light english breakfast? but it leans toward that side of things. color & body-wise, this oolong reminds me a lot of a Hojicha (roasted green tea) but doesn’t have the roasty, brown rice/popcorn flavor going on, which i find myself missing.

perhaps worth noting is the fact that this tea was quite salty in the beginning before mellowing out in that aspect once the liquor cooled. it had a notable salinity though, which i definitely don’t mind. interesting!

for me, this isn’t quite a ‘Chinese restaurant tea’ or even a seemingly Japanese one. there’s a place i go to a lot called Hanami & they have one of the most unique roasted & nutty flavored teas that is complimentary with all meals. at first i thought it was some kind of green, but i’m now starting to think it could have been an oolong, or maybe an oolong-green mix. i also thought it could be Hojicha, but you never know… my never-ending quest to discover what tea they serve at Hanami continues…

anyway, this Formosa Oolong is quite dark, as is characteristic of most Formosa Oolongs. i’ve always wanted to try one & i must say i heartily appreciate it. not quite hojicha-status or even on the level of a genmaicha (not to expect that it should be) but i would happily drink this before or after a meal. definitely something nice & pleasant which is in the vicinity of a light black tea with no astringency, just a slight roasted dryness that doesn’t have the vegetality of a green tea that might veer toward bitterness. it certainly doesn’t need any additives and can be consumed as is. this is rather nice!

ETA: from the aroma of the steeped tea, i do recall a mere suggestion of honey (but one that was hiding) and later upon cooling, a slight graham cracker note.