Salted Caramel Mate & Herbal Black

Tea Bag
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by 221tea
Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 8 oz / 236 ml

• “Sipdown!! (172) Thank you *Roswell Strange* (and by extension *221tea*) but this is not for me. In fact, I am surprised Roswell liked this because I am finding this tastes similar to movie theatre...” Read full tasting note
    rachel12610 2062 tasting notes
  • “Backlog from this morning. I had other plans for breakfast teas but when I saw that my _massive_ (25 teas! All of which I've never tried - and I _great_ mix of straight and flavoured) package from...” Read full tasting note
    roswellstrange 2260 tasting notes
  • “I have tried another Salted Caramel tea (loose leaf from Teavana) and found that if I add a touch of salt (salt?) to the tea it brings out the caramel a bit more. I tried it that way for this tea...” Read full tasting note
    carol who 386 tasting notes
  • “This came as a free sample with my latest Stash order. It tastes like drinking a slightly sweetened soft pretzel. I didn't even think that was a thing. But my brain and tastebuds got together...” Read full tasting note
    221tea 52 tasting notes

From Stash Tea Company

From Stash Tea:

Unique blend of yerba mate, black tea, cocoa shells, and naturally sweet monk fruit is perfectly balanced with natural salted caramel flavor for an irresistible dessert tea. Add a splash of milk and a bit of sugar for a decadent, guilt-free treat.

Steeping Instructions: 3-5 minutes at 190-205F

About Stash Tea Company View company

2062 tasting notes

Sipdown!! (172)

Thank you Roswell Strange (and by extension 221tea) but this is not for me. In fact, I am surprised Roswell liked this because I am finding this tastes similar to movie theatre butter mixed with earthy mate. Caramel is in this cup but it is being overwhelmed by the other, less pleasant flavors. I am grateful for the chance to try something new and this is certainly a tea that would have caught my eye but I am just not enjoying this cup.

Roswell Strange

I worked at a Movie Theatre for over a year, so maybe an underlying movie theatre butter flavour is why I enjoyed it ;)

Backlog from this morning.

I had other plans for breakfast teas but when I saw that my massive (25 teas! All of which I’ve never tried – and I great mix of straight and flavoured) package from 221tea had arrived I quickly changed my mind and made up the two new Stash teas she sent me because A) I love Stash, B) They were both mate/guayusa blends which makes them perfect for the morning, C) they’d bagged so obviously more convenient, and D) they just sounded so damn good!

The name/“description” for this baffles me. If it’s a black tea then it’s obviously not herbal, so why even bother labeling it as such? I can wrap my head around a mate/black hybrid but the “herbal” in the name really isn’t necessary…

Dry, the bag for this smelled really intensely like caramel and black tea with a touch of earthiness that I’m assuming it being contributed by the mate. No presence of salt to be found. Steeped up this is surprisingly… Smokey!?

What’s in this that is making it so damn smokey? It’s like rich, lightly burnt caramel with an intense wave of campfire smoke (with some raw “earthiness” because of the mate). I actually had to go look up the ingredients to see if they mixed Lapsang Souchong into this; doesn’t specify but apparently there’s Monk Fruit in here. What is a Monk Fruit? Are they smokey? Fruit isn’t supposed to be smokey…

Anyway; the flavour notes here were definitely surprising to say the least – but I actually very much enjoyed the cup and thought it was a nice switch up from the mates I own. I couldn’t resist sending one of the bags to VariaTEA to see her thoughts.

Thanks 221tea!

Cavocorax

The herbal part was confusing! I nearly put it with my decaf teas, and that would have been a huge mistake! Haha.

VariaTEA

This sounds strange. Also, I know there is a sugar substitute made with Monk Fruit so I doubt that is where the smokiness is coming from.

I have tried another Salted Caramel tea (loose leaf from Teavana) and found that if I add a touch of salt (salt?) to the tea it brings out the caramel a bit more. I tried it that way for this tea and was pleased to have a similar reaction. I couldn’t tell you how much salt. I guess I would say “to taste”. It still is not a great tea but I’ll finish what I received in a swap from 221tea. Thanks for the tea!

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

This came as a free sample with my latest Stash order.

It tastes like drinking a slightly sweetened soft pretzel. I didn’t even think that was a thing. But my brain and tastebuds got together (after dropping acid apparently) and that is what they came up with.

Is there a fancy tea way of saying this tastes like dough?

I love the loose tea I order from Stash, but I have yet to be impressed with a bagged tea. At least it was free, so no harm done.