Salted Caramel Mate & Herbal Black

Tea Bag
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by 221tea
Boiling 4 min, 45 sec 8 oz / 236 ml

• “I am new on my tea journey, but so far this is the worst tea I have tasted. I was so disappointed because I wanted to like it so badly. I did not taste any caramel….it honestly tasted like...” Read full tasting note
    Cooa0011 18 tasting notes
  • “I received this tea in a boxed set and was so skeeved out by the ingredients that I perpetually put off trying it and then forgot about it altogether. Yerba mate and black tea in the same teabag?...” Read full tasting note
    tamarindel 287 tasting notes
  • “Holy Shanghai. This is way too strong for me! Tastes like a really bitter coffee. 0_0 Oyyy not a fan! D: Thanks for the sample though, The Cookie Lady!” Read full tasting note
    Ostdalost 719 tasting notes
  • “Think it would have been better without the Mate. I love Yerba Mate tea, and I love salted caramel, but I found the flavours together to be a bit odd. To me, salted caramel is a dessert tea and...” Read full tasting note
    KimcheeKat 16 tasting notes

From Stash Tea Company

From Stash Tea:

Unique blend of yerba mate, black tea, cocoa shells, and naturally sweet monk fruit is perfectly balanced with natural salted caramel flavor for an irresistible dessert tea. Add a splash of milk and a bit of sugar for a decadent, guilt-free treat.

Steeping Instructions: 3-5 minutes at 190-205F

About Stash Tea Company View company

I am new on my tea journey, but so far this is the worst tea I have tasted. I was so disappointed because I wanted to like it so badly. I did not taste any caramel….it honestly tasted like dirt to me. Also, the smell was nauseating. I thought it was just me, so I made my MIL a cup, and she took two sips before the smell got to her and she poured it out. I love Stash, but this tea is not for me.

Flavors: Dirt

I received this tea in a boxed set and was so skeeved out by the ingredients that I perpetually put off trying it and then forgot about it altogether. Yerba mate and black tea in the same teabag? Monk fruit? Plus I’m not crazy about salted caramel anyway.

But I re-discovered it in the cupboard the other day and decided it was now or never. Happily, it’s not nearly as bad as I feared. I still think the mate and black together is a mistake — the mate gives it this weird undertaste, it would be so much better if it was a black tea alone. But the monk fruit is under control (I’ve had it in other teas where it was sweet to the point of nauseating) and the flavor is pleasant enough. While it smells absolutely like salted caramel, it only kindof sortof tastes like it. I don’t see myself buying this, but I think I’ll be able to finish the box.

Holy Shanghai. This is way too strong for me!
Tastes like a really bitter coffee. 0_0
Oyyy not a fan! D:
Thanks for the sample though, The Cookie Lady!

Flavors: Bitter, Coffee

The Cookie Lady

I found you absolutely cannot oversteep this by even a little bit. If I keep it at the lowest end of the recommended time, then I like it. If I don’t, I can’t even finish the cup.

Nichole

Well I can cross that one off my list. Darn!

Think it would have been better without the Mate. I love Yerba Mate tea, and I love salted caramel, but I found the flavours together to be a bit odd. To me, salted caramel is a dessert tea and mate adds this earthy, smoky flavour that just doesn’t go well with the caramel.

edit: I have to add that this tea has really grown on me. Maybe it’s an acquired taste, or maybe the caramel comes out more when the steep time is longer, but I have been having this Mate most mornings now and really enjoying the earthy, buttery, caramel flavours.

I am both really happy and really disappointed with tea for having cacao shells as an ingredient. While they taste lovely in this tea, they totally mess with the salted caramel flavor I was promised! It smells like it’s going to be totally awesome when you first pour water over it. But, as it brews, it loses the caramelized sugar smell and develops a smell that is decidedly not cacao but is totally a result of the cacao shells. Overall, I’m really glad I picked up a box of this for $2 to drink at work, but I’m still on the lookout for a true salted caramel flavor. Maybe I just need to add sugar? Ugh…I hate when I have to add anything. I’ll just take this for what it is and not what it claimed it would be.

Anlina

I have been disappointed by all the salted caramel teas I’ve tried, but I would be so happy to find one that captures the flavour really well.

The Cookie Lady

It just doesn’t seem like a flavor that would be so difficult to replicate, since so many places do caramel quite well on it’s own. But, then again, what do I know? I just drink the stuff. Kudos to those who have to figure out how to properly flavor it :)

Anlina

I feel the same way. It makes me inclined to experiment with blending something myself, but I haven’t got around to it yet.

Sipdown!! (172)

Thank you Roswell Strange (and by extension 221tea) but this is not for me. In fact, I am surprised Roswell liked this because I am finding this tastes similar to movie theatre butter mixed with earthy mate. Caramel is in this cup but it is being overwhelmed by the other, less pleasant flavors. I am grateful for the chance to try something new and this is certainly a tea that would have caught my eye but I am just not enjoying this cup.

Roswell Strange

I worked at a Movie Theatre for over a year, so maybe an underlying movie theatre butter flavour is why I enjoyed it ;)

Backlog from this morning.

I had other plans for breakfast teas but when I saw that my massive (25 teas! All of which I’ve never tried – and I great mix of straight and flavoured) package from 221tea had arrived I quickly changed my mind and made up the two new Stash teas she sent me because A) I love Stash, B) They were both mate/guayusa blends which makes them perfect for the morning, C) they’d bagged so obviously more convenient, and D) they just sounded so damn good!

The name/“description” for this baffles me. If it’s a black tea then it’s obviously not herbal, so why even bother labeling it as such? I can wrap my head around a mate/black hybrid but the “herbal” in the name really isn’t necessary…

Dry, the bag for this smelled really intensely like caramel and black tea with a touch of earthiness that I’m assuming it being contributed by the mate. No presence of salt to be found. Steeped up this is surprisingly… Smokey!?

What’s in this that is making it so damn smokey? It’s like rich, lightly burnt caramel with an intense wave of campfire smoke (with some raw “earthiness” because of the mate). I actually had to go look up the ingredients to see if they mixed Lapsang Souchong into this; doesn’t specify but apparently there’s Monk Fruit in here. What is a Monk Fruit? Are they smokey? Fruit isn’t supposed to be smokey…

Anyway; the flavour notes here were definitely surprising to say the least – but I actually very much enjoyed the cup and thought it was a nice switch up from the mates I own. I couldn’t resist sending one of the bags to VariaTEA to see her thoughts.

Thanks 221tea!

Cavocorax

The herbal part was confusing! I nearly put it with my decaf teas, and that would have been a huge mistake! Haha.

VariaTEA

This sounds strange. Also, I know there is a sugar substitute made with Monk Fruit so I doubt that is where the smokiness is coming from.

I have tried another Salted Caramel tea (loose leaf from Teavana) and found that if I add a touch of salt (salt?) to the tea it brings out the caramel a bit more. I tried it that way for this tea and was pleased to have a similar reaction. I couldn’t tell you how much salt. I guess I would say “to taste”. It still is not a great tea but I’ll finish what I received in a swap from 221tea. Thanks for the tea!

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

This came as a free sample with my latest Stash order.

It tastes like drinking a slightly sweetened soft pretzel. I didn’t even think that was a thing. But my brain and tastebuds got together (after dropping acid apparently) and that is what they came up with.

Is there a fancy tea way of saying this tastes like dough?

I love the loose tea I order from Stash, but I have yet to be impressed with a bagged tea. At least it was free, so no harm done.