Wild Tree Purple Varietal Black Tea of Dehong Spring 2012

Plums, Raisins, Stonefruits
Edit tea info Last updated by tperez

• “Welcome to day 30 of *little terri's Ultimate Sipdown Extravaganza!* Yup, my month long festival of sipdown is coming to a close! I'm actually glad, because I have new teas to drink, special teas...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2895 tasting notes
  • “Trying to get through at least tasting the last round of teas from our BBBBox before the next round gets here. I brewed this western style because i can't manage two gonfu at once haha. This is a...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4829 tasting notes
  • “This tea is one of *Terri's* contributions to the *BBBB*. I had no expectations, good or bad for this as it's a totally new kind of tea. I brewed it up gongfu style as *Terri* mentioned in her...” Read full tasting note
    TastyBrew 361 tasting notes
  • “Man this is good! Taking a break before getting back to the finals grind. This tea is warm and hearty like a Taiwanese black, but clean and refreshing like young sheng. There's also some pretty...” Read full tasting note
    tperez 103 tasting notes

From Yunnan Sourcing

This is a expertly fermented black tea was crafted using a wild tree purple leaf varietal from Dehong prefecture. This wild tree varietal grows wild in the mountainous areas west of Mang Shi town in Dehong. Ye Sheng "野生“ varietal aka “Camellia sinensis (L.) Kuntze var. assamica (J. Masters) Kitam.” is a primeval varietal that pre-dates Camellia Sinensis var. Assamica and is a naturally occuring non hybridized varietal. It’s potency in cha qi arises from it’s unadulterated nature. It is naturally bug repellent, grows wild in the forests of Yunnan at an altitude of 1600-2200 meters.

The aroma of tea is very strong and hints of eucalyptus and sugarcane. The mouth feel is incredibly complex and stimulating but never bitter or astringent. Ultra smooth tea that after a few months will develop even more complexity. Subtle but very noticeable cha qi and tranquil feelings.

An incredibly rare tea, only 120 kilograms in total production!

Spring 2012 material

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

Welcome to day 30 of little terri’s Ultimate Sipdown Extravaganza!
Yup, my month long festival of sipdown is coming to a close! I’m actually glad, because I have new teas to drink, special teas that I miss drinking, etc. Tomorrow will be the final day of clearing my shelves of anything old, small, or just unloved.
I’ve been working on updating the database, & as I’ve said before, I’ll probably end the month with more tea than I started with, haha. I started with 401, & although I didn’t set any actual goal, I think I’ve been kind of aiming for 250.

This is a really interesting tea, & if you let it warm up in a hot cup, the aroma of plums is outstanding! I could sit around just huffing this, & I did for a few minutes. Something nice to wake up to. Going with short steeps, the tea itself build through layers of Congee rice, sweet plum, a little tartness, & an amazing chaqi. Some of the steeps make me think of Plum Sake, even though I’ve never had anything like that, LOL.
It also really reminds me of a sweeter sister to Master Han’s Wild Picked Yunnan. It has a very similar energy, & a rustic wild quality to it, but coupled with a lovely sweet aftertaste of plums.
It’s silly for me to count this as a sipdown, as I have a new shipment en route, but the newer version is from Spring 2014, so there you go. It’s legit.

plummy stuff is great :)

Dag Wedin

Oh, i do love this tea! It is absolutely outstanding gong-fu style. Never did get the 2014 harvest. i noticed that the 2013 i have has chaged character quite abit since it was “fresh”, it matures very well so dont drink it all at once :)

June is going to be a sipdown month for me….

Terri HarpLady

Stephanie: Yup! Did I send you some of this one?
Dag: I agree whole heartedly with everything you said!
Sil: Good luck with that! :D

yep, kind of reminded me of Dancong :D

mrmopar

Just got 100 grams of this one in. Mow I am glad I did. Nice review Terri, I look forward to trying this one.

Terri HarpLady

MrM, my YS order arrived today, & somebody probably needs to take me out back & shoot me, LOL. I must be crazy, this order is ridiculous, but I’ll enjoy sharing the teas with my BBBB sisters, & can’t wait to start drinking them! :D

i need to place a YS order…or you can do it terri..and i’ll place the verdant order and we’ll swap quantities lol

Terri HarpLady

That’s a real possibility! I’ve already placed the huge order, so anything I bought that you want(pretty much all of their 2014 black teas, & a few puer samples) is an option…

Dag Wedin

Wow, all of their blacks!?! Thats a huge amount of tea :D

boychik

Terri, did you order fr US site? My order fr China is in transit for 2 months already. Not that I have nothing to drink…

Terri HarpLady

Dag: well…maybe not ALL of them…but I did have quite a bit of money in my Playpal account from people buying my songs off iTunes, so lets just say I went a little nuts…lol. I won’t need to order anything from there again until Fall, and really only because I’ll want to try out some of the Fall teas, right?

Boychik: I have ordered from the US site, which comes very quickly, but I usually order from the China site, because the selection is so much bigger, & yeah, it can take awhile, especially if you go with the cheapest transit method. If you’re like me, you’d rather spend your money on tea, rather than on shipping, so usually by the time the box comes I’ve sort of forgotten about it. That makes it like a surprise present!
This time I actually paid for the next to cheapest shipping & the box came in a couple of weeks, but I think my first china order took a couple months.
Anyway, it’s not like I don’t have plenty of tea to drink while I’m waiting!

Trying to get through at least tasting the last round of teas from our BBBBox before the next round gets here. I brewed this western style because i can’t manage two gonfu at once haha. This is a really juicy tea..there’s a hint of a taste that i’m not familiar with coming through…sort of yunnan ish but not quite. Over all this is really tasty, though i for sure need to try this gong fu style next!

This tea is one of Terri’s contributions to the BBBB. I had no expectations, good or bad for this as it’s a totally new kind of tea. I brewed it up gongfu style as Terri mentioned in her note that she wanted to try it that way. This is a great gongfu tea. Each steeping is decidedly different than the previous. The first was very sweet with a hint of the basic Yunnan flavors. The second was savory, almost like herb chicken (I know, wacky). The third so far is very strong honey and Yunnan again. This is a fun tea! Kind of like tea roulette! Never know what the next flavor is going to be! I’m curious how this brews up western style. I’ll try that next time, but I think this is probably best as gongfu. Thanks Terri!

Man this is good! Taking a break before getting back to the finals grind.

This tea is warm and hearty like a Taiwanese black, but clean and refreshing like young sheng. There’s also some pretty interesting flavors here that I haven’t tasted elsewhere, and I really like it.

One of my favorite things about tea is the endless variety. I love trying new things, and I sort of hate to buy the same thing twice (even if I love it), and so far I haven’t bought a second batch of any tea, but I think this is one I’ll need to keep stocked in my cupboard.

But then again there IS the light roast version of this tea… :P

This is another tea that Sil sent me, and so far I’ve been liking the Yunnan Sourcing blacks. (I’m a little concerned about avoiding a Yunnan Sourcing order before I get my stash under control.)
This is a little strange to me, but strange in a good way. It’s really sweet and a bit earthy – not pu’erh earthy, but heading in that direction. It’s really smooth, no astringency (even with sporadic steep times at work). This is a good tea. I really like it, and would be more than happy to have more of it in my cupboard.

there will be more coming your way so sit tight.

This tea is a super generous sample from Terri HarpLady – thank you .
OMG. This tea is something I experienced only in some sheng. Besides being sweet and fruity ( I pick plums mostly), some nuts, it’s rich with eucalyptus notes. What it did to me is I have cooling sensation in my stomach. This is nice feeling on a hot day. I feel very peaceful that even my kids don’t bug me. Prepared gongfu 4g 100 ml 205F
Rinse/10/15/15/20/20sec etc
Wonderful tea, I think I want to buy it right now.
Thank you so much Terri for giving me a chance to try it.

0 min, 15 sec 4 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
TheTeaFairy

Oh yum!!!

boychik

Do you have a sample? Cause I just ordered ….

mrmopar

Glad you posted this. Got some with the last order forgot to add it in. It’s a good one.

MzPriss

I have avoided YS because I’m scared of yet another addiction – between Mandala and Whispering Pines. But I keep seeing y’all mention all these yummy things. I’ve been to the site and it’s overwhelming. At some point, I’m going to post a “school me on YS” thread so I can get some guidance about what I NEED from them. This sounds lovely.

mrmopar

Yunnan Sourcing " oolong13" for 13% off all Oolong on the site through 7/9.

boychik

I still keep sipping, it’s so giving. And totally like that menthol sensation

MzPriss

mrmopar – you’re a Temptor (which is like a Dementor – but nice)

boychik

MzPriss, I can send you samples but only in Sept. I’m away for the summer. If you can wait… I bought today this tea and super cute Yixing( not expensive and only 120 ml)

TheTeaFairy

Nope, i don’t have that one. I still have a gazillion others from lovely terri though!!

MzPriss

Awww that is sweet boychik. Let’s talk in Sept. I hope you’re away for fun!

Lots of fun with 3 kids.

Terri HarpLady

If you don’t want to wait until Sept, I can drop some samples in the mail to you :)

MzPriss

@Terri Woo! I would like that. We need to do our swap as I have some Golden Monkey with your name on it :)

Terri HarpLady

I know, I didn’t mean to put you off on it. Just got super busy with that porch. :)

MzPriss

Oh no! You didn’t! I’ve been intensely busy myself. Friends were here from Dallas all weekend and I’ve had this de-clutterong/re-homing a bunch of my possessions weekend and then right back to work. I’m also trying to re-configure my meditation space. We will totally get around to it and it doesn’t have to be this minute. Besides, that porch needs to be all spiffy when TeaF and I move in visit :)

Oh yum. Thank you Terri HarpLady!

This is super rich and fruity! Very complex. This is something I would totally drink again. Sweet stuff. There are notes that remind me of a Dancong oolong. I loves me some Dancong. It is like a cross between a Dancong and a Yunnan black! I love the lingering stone fruit taste it leaves in the back of my throat.

Terri HarpLady

This one is an interesting one, eh?

Terri HarpLady

I think I ordered the newest rendition of this in my YS order.

Stephanie

I think the only purple teas I’d had before this one were purple greens.

mrmopar

The Wu Liang Ye Sheng puerh cake from them is pretty killer too, as well as the 100 gram brick.

Stephanie

Way to temp me with some sheng, mrmopar :)

Mr M, I’m not allowed to look at YS’ site for awhile…lol

The twisted black leaves of this tea smell like raisins and plums when dry, and the promise of stone fruit and sweetness is fully fulfilled when brewing. Surprisingly, this tea brews rather light, and doesn’t take on the bitterness that purple tea takes on when brewed carelessly. This is a free spirited and gentle tea, that allows for mistakes, and rewards with a juicy fruitiness that, while not mind-blowing, is very comforting. A good mid-morning brew to share with work colleagues, or while relaxing and reading the newspaper.
A great introduction to purple tea, and great value for the price.

Flavors: Plums, Raisins, Stonefruits