Black Rooibos Blend
Apple, Ceylon Black Tea, Cinnamon, Cranberry, Flavour, Hibiscus, Lapsang Souchong, Orange Peel, Rooibos, Rose Hips, Vanilla
Cinnamon, Cream, Orange Zest, Pine, Smoke, Smooth, Apple, Black Currant, Cranberry, Fruity, Orange, Tart, Berries, Spices, Baked Bread
Loose Leaf, Sachet
Low
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.
Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 7 g 10 oz / 300 ml

• “I got a sample of this from tea-sipper last year before I was posting reviews on here. Since I had no written record, I didn’t remember what I thought of it, and I bought more. That was a mistake....” Read full tasting note
  • “Autumn Harvest! So this is my other blend that includes lapsang souchong in it, and I only have it because it was a free teabag that was included with one of my orders (so both of the blends that I...” Read full tasting note
  • “I’ve been looking for a tea to drink before going to sleep, I don’t know if it’s some kind of curse-of-the-late-twenties, but I’m having such a hard time going to sleep if I drink tea in the...” Read full tasting note
  • “This is fitting for a day after Easter tea! It’s also tough to tell when to drink it because it is mostly rooibos with a little bit of lapsang souchong. So I’m not sure how much caffeine. On...” Read full tasting note

From Bird & Blend Tea Co.

At Easter time there are few things better than the aroma of currants, cinnamon and freshly baked buns wafting across the kitchen. When creating our Spring Collection we knew we had to pay homage to our favourite Easter treat, so here you have it – Hot Cross Bun tea! Don’t say we don’t treat you every now and again!

Ingredients: Rooibos, Sri Lankan black tea, cinnamon, apple pieces, rosehip, hibiscus, Lapsang Souchong black tea, orange peel, vanilla pieces, cranberry pieces (cranberry, sugar, rice flour, vegetable oil), flavouring

Brewing Guide: 100C/212F, 4+ mins.

About Bird & Blend Tea Co. View company

I got a sample of this from tea-sipper last year before I was posting reviews on here. Since I had no written record, I didn’t remember what I thought of it, and I bought more. That was a mistake. There is just such a strong, unpleasant smoky flavor, and the other main flavor is a strong orange. There’s nothing bready or cinnamon about this. I swear the formula must have been different before because I would have remembered this level of dislike. If you like smoky teas, maybe you’d like this, but it’s sadly not for me. I find it very unpleasant no matter what I do to it.

Martin Bednář

Maybe it turned out badly?

AJRimmer

I’ve made it 2-3 different times and allowed other people to try it as well. It’s just not agreeable to me at all unfortunately!

Autumn Harvest! So this is my other blend that includes lapsang souchong in it, and I only have it because it was a free teabag that was included with one of my orders (so both of the blends that I ended up with were freebies or promos, heh). This is technically one of their Easter seasonals, which may make it seem an odd choice for autumn, but the cinnamon, apple, orange, and cranberry are all flavors I very much associate with the fall season, myself.

I’m hoping this one might be even more subtle on the smokiness than the Bonfire tea; it is also a rooibos/black blend, but in addition to rooibos and the lapsang souchong, it also has some Ceylon tea in there, which I’m hoping may cut back on the smoke note a bit? The dry leaf still smells a little intimidating, though… I do like that I can make out some vanilla creaminess in the scent which should pair nicely with the strong orange I also get in the aroma, but there is obvious smoky notes there, too. It makes me think of the burning pine wood smell from winter time, actually. Hopefully the fruitiness and sweetness will dominate in the cup.

The steeped tea is an interesting deep amber color, not quite as red as I was expecting for such a rooibos heavy blend, so the black tea does seem to at least have quite a bit of influence on the brew color. The aroma does have a bit of the pine wood smell, but it actually smells far more like creamsicle than I was getting from the dry leaf. The flavor is… interesting. It doesn’t particularly taste smoky, which I appreciate, but I am getting an overwhelming pine flavor, which surprises me; the only other time I’ve had that flavor was in some very citrusy white teas. I tend to not mind this flavor unless there is a lot of artificial lemony notes, because paired with those then I just taste cleaner, so it doesn’t bother me, but I do find it a little odd in a blend that is supposed to be mimicking a baked bread. I would’ve expected something more malty, creating a more bready taste in the base? It just seems strange and I’m uncertain what it is doing here. I do get that creamy vanilla/orange flavor mid-sip, but I’m not really pulling out any of the other fruits, like the apple and cranberry, which seem utterly lost. The cinnamon is also really subtle; I sometimes pick up just a hint of it in my mouth after a sip, but rarely while I’m drinking.

I feel like the elements didn’t quite all pull together as they should… what I’m getting is a creamsicle tea with some lingering slightly smoky pine notes, and for what it is, it’s actually really nice, but that is just not Hot Cross Buns to me. The base needed to be maltier and fruitier to live up to the namesake. I like what I’m tasting, but it isn’t what I was expecting, so I find this one a bit average.

Flavors: Cinnamon, Cream, Orange Zest, Pine, Smoke, Smooth

I’ve been looking for a tea to drink before going to sleep, I don’t know if it’s some kind of curse-of-the-late-twenties, but I’m having such a hard time going to sleep if I drink tea in the evenings (but tbh, my fucked up sleeping schedule isn’t helping). like, am I becoming more sensitive to caffeine? it’s a nuisance, and for some reason I thought this was caffeine free? but it definitely smells and looks like it has some lapsang souchong in it and I have zero complaints about this. and while I’m not a huge fan of the very smoked lapsangs, I love it when they are in blends, there’s something so warm and cozy-baked-goods-ness about them in blends. cinnamon, currants, ah yes. half-way through the cup I put in some almond milk and /chef kiss/ it was perfect.

This is fitting for a day after Easter tea! It’s also tough to tell when to drink it because it is mostly rooibos with a little bit of lapsang souchong. So I’m not sure how much caffeine. On taste or color of the mug, I don’t think there is much. Only a few black tea leaves within a teaspoon and a half at most. I’m not British so I can’t say I’ve ever had a Hot Cross Bun. But this is a tasty tea. The rooibos is quality from Bluebird, as always. The first flavor to hit the buds is orange. Then slight cinnamon and maybe a bit of cranberry and apple. The rosehips and hibiscus aren’t overwhelming — I can barely tell they’re included (WIN). Possibly a hint of icing flavor here. The second steep is even fuller in flavor. I’m always surprised at the lovely balance that all of the Bluebird blends have. Every sip mixes things up a bit. So overall, a very tasty, mostly fruity, mostly rooibos blend. It’s very calming and warming. The only thing I would have liked is more of a pastry/bread flavor. I’m glad I bought some of this one. Bluebird is the ONE teashop I would suggest more Steepsterers try. I love them! Fun fact: a Steepster search for Hot Cross Bun only results in this tea! (Usually every search has a billion results.)
Steep #1 // 1 1/2 teaspoon for a full mug// 18 minutes after boiling // 3-4 minute steep
Steep #2 // just boiled // 5 minute steep

gmathis

Hot Cross Buns—Midwest-American style, at least, taste a little like raisin bread with a little candied fruit thrown in and a small bit of powdered sugar icing. Not sure if that’s “right,” but it’s the only variety I’ve tried.

tea-sipper

Sounds what I imagine a hot cross bun to be. :D

I’m starting Easter early with this tea. There are only three days of work this week, so that’s more than enough reason to celebrate. Also, I just realised that I still have my sample of this tea from 2015, so I’m catching up with that before I start the 2016 version I got with my recent Bluebird order. So, anyway. The tea.

I used 1 tsp of leaf for my cup. It looks predominantly rooibos based to me, although there are a decent amount of ceylon leaves also present – maybe 70:30. The scent of the dry leaf is massively fruity, mostly orange. It reminds me a lot of undiluted cordial. I left this one for around 3 minutes before I added a splash of milk.

To taste, it’s actually more flavour accurate than I was expecting given the scent. It does remind me of hot cross buns, particularly when you first open a packet of fresh ones. I can taste orange (lots!), a pithy kind of taste that could be citrus zest, apple, cranberry, and currants. There’s also a hint of cinnamon lurking around in the mid-sip, but it’s not particularly prominent.

The vanilla is more of a scent than a flavour for me, but it does translate as a mild creamy flavour that’s very reminiscent of the white cross and maybe melted butter at a push. I’d like that to have been a bit stronger, but it’s there and I’m happy for that. I’m aware that this blend contains some Lapsang Souchong, but again it’s not a big part of the overall flavour. I get flashes of it every now and then, and they make me think of toast – or toasted hot cross buns, maybe. Love.

What I’d have liked here is more of a “bread” flavour, to go with the fruit and spice, creaminess and smokiness. That would really have set this one apart for me. As it is, it’s just a bit too fruity (orangey) to really capture the true flavour of hot cross buns. It’s close, though – so close.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp
Christina / BooksandTea

Sounds lovely! Bluebird is a company I’d love to try, but I’m scared of the prospect of UK shipping to Canada.

Iève had this tea before but I don’t remember much about it – but given my rating I’d say that I liked it a fair bit? It came with the Easter themed sampler that I ordered, but otherwise I don’t think I’d have picked it up this time around…

I had it a while ago, and my memory is fuzzy – but I recall it being alright. More fruity than anything else with a citrus lean – but pretty generic.

Idk.

another sample from my dear friend kittylovestea

a decent tea :D

when i smell the tea dry, it smells like cinnamon, berries and spices.

when i smell the leaves wet, the smell is intensified.

when i smell the brewed tea, again it has cinnimon, berries and spices.

when i taste the brewed tea, it tastes like all the above plus all the ingredients.

the color of the brewed tea is a blood red. maybe a nice touch for Halloween not Easter.

i rate this a 75 because it is a decent tea, but i am not much for blends.

many thanks!

Flavors: Berries, Cinnamon, Spices

Boiling 1 min, 0 sec 7 g 8 OZ / 250 ML

I’ve never had an actual hot cross bun, but if they taste like orange cranberry rolls with a good amount of cinnamon, then this blends nails it. Doesn’t taste like a Rooibos, and if I didn’t know from the ingredients that it contains hibiscus I think that one would have slipped right by me, although it is a tart tea. Instead I get a bready citrus aroma. I can taste the cinnamon baked good flavor at the front of the sip, followed by orange and cranberry. I don’t sweeten my teas, but this one makes me want to try the next cup with a bit of honey.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Cinnamon, Cranberry, Orange Zest

beelicious

Love this tea!!! It tastes just like a hot cross bun…. except I usually take my hot cross buns with butter, strawberry jam and cream and I miss them desperately since moving to the States!! :)

insanearcane

I’m so curious to try this!