Easter Egg Nests

Black Food Green Blend
Cacao, Ceylon Black Tea, Chocolate Chip, Flavor, Green Tea, Marshmallow, Popped Rice, Sunflower Petals
Candy, Caramel, Cocoa, Coconut, Dark Bittersweet, Dark Chocolate, Nutty, Smooth, Sweet, Artificial, Chocolate, Toasted Rice, Rice, Marshmallow, Sweet, warm grass, Bitter
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

2 Images

• “Tried this the other day – I ordered it just after Easter in a little sampler box (in fact, it was the entire reason I ordered the sampler box!) and I’m only just now getting to it. The bane of tea...” Read full tasting note
  • “This tea sounded quite delicious, so despite only being able to get it in a 50g package (I know there was a sampler, but I wasn’t interested in 2/4 teas, I think), I picked some up. First immediate...” Read full tasting note
  • “I bought this last April (when Bird & Blend was still Bluebird!) but my package was still sealed! I’m not too worried about freshness… it at least smells wonderful upon opening it up to try it!...” Read full tasting note
  • “Swap Sample Sipdown! (32) This one is a bonus sample given to me by tea-sipper! I had no idea Easter egg nests are also a thing in the UK! In the States I often see them made with chow mein...” Read full tasting note

From Bird & Blend Tea Co.

Crispy, gooey, chocolatey, goodness! Whether you decorate with chocolate eggs or fluffy chicks we’re all fond of a home-made Easter Egg Crispy Nest (or two!). That’s why our limited edition Easter tea blend is packed with crispy toasted rice, chocolate pieces and marshmallows!

About Bird & Blend Tea Co. View company

Tried this the other day – I ordered it just after Easter in a little sampler box (in fact, it was the entire reason I ordered the sampler box!) and I’m only just now getting to it. The bane of tea hoarder problems…

It was a lot different than I expected it to be – for example I somehow didn’t realize there was brown rice in the blend, and that’s actually a really dominant part of the flavour. Not sure how I missed that in the ingredients list. Combine that strong roasty/toasty rice note with the chocolate and black tea in the blend and it’s sort of like drinking a Chocolate Genmaicha or liquified Puffed Wheat Cake. It’s actually a little thin/watery, but apart from that it tastes pretty darn good, just quite different from what I had expected.

This tea sounded quite delicious, so despite only being able to get it in a 50g package (I know there was a sampler, but I wasn’t interested in 2/4 teas, I think), I picked some up. First immediate impression was that it reminded me of DavidsTea’s Chocolate Macaroon. Maybe it’s the cacao nibs and some of the flavourings? Sipping it stirs up those same memories, but it definitely has some different flavours. For one, there’s kind of an alcoholic note that I’m picking up. Kind of like a chocolate liquor. It’s interesting; I’m not sure what I think of it quite yet. I also can taste the popped rice, which gives me the impression that Chocolate Macaroon has been mixed with genmaicha with chocolate syrup on top. Sounds weird, tastes ok, but not a favourite. Might be good with a bit of milk and sweetener, but I think it’s too light to latte without using up the whole bag.

I bought this last April (when Bird & Blend was still Bluebird!) but my package was still sealed! I’m not too worried about freshness… it at least smells wonderful upon opening it up to try it! Very chocolately, and I also smell coconut? That actually worried me (given the age), so I double-checked the ingredients. Nope, no coconut. It really smells of it, though! I’m getting strong Mounds candy vibes from the dry leaf aroma… that is only a positive as far as I’m concerned!

I steeped this one slightly longer than I usually steep blacks, just to make sure the marshmallow bits would melt nicely into the brew. The finished tea is a caramelly tan color and still has a Mounds sort of aroma to me, with perhaps a bit of a caramelly sweetness.

The tea definitely is quite sweet; I think this would have more of a cocoa bittersweetness/dark chocolate flavor from the cocoa shells if it weren’t sweetened up so much by the marshmallow. I do still get more of a dark chocolate flavor than milk chocolate, but am curious how it hold up as a latte, and if that would change the chocolate flavor thanks to the addition of milk; I’ll have to experiment and try that sometime. I am still getting a strong coconut note in the flavor, and despite having popped rice in it, it doesn’t present as particularly roasty or nutty in flavor like genmaicha; there are some subtle caramel and nutty notes that pop toward the end of the sip, but cocoa and coconut are the dominant flavors. It does feel quite warm and satisfying and it is quite desserty.

Flavors: Candy, Caramel, Cocoa, Coconut, Dark Bittersweet, Dark Chocolate, Nutty, Smooth, Sweet

205 °F / 96 °C 4 min, 0 sec 3 g 12 OZ / 350 ML
tea-sipper

I love this one. Didn’t drink it on Easter, as I had it a week or so ago!

Mastress Alita

I enjoyed it, though I think next time I try it I’ll brew it stronger (more leaf), or try it as a latte. I was definitely digging the candy bar vibe I got from it.

I’ll admit this tea sent me over the edge as I’d had a gong fu session just before, and I guess that was just enough caffeine too quickly and I was dancing all over the place, hahahaha.

tea-sipper

haha. I don’t think caffeine even hits me. I think I should try more leaf with this one too.. at least ONCE.

Mastress Alita

It doesn’t usually… but it did this time. Usually I’m drinking my tea more spread out (a thermos over several hours during work) and then I switch to herbals in the evening so I think the concentrated sipping of a black tea gong fu style followed by a full cup of this tea (black/green blend) did me in hard, hahaha.

Kittenna

I ordered 50g of this and your review makes me pleased that I did. Haha.

Roswell Strange

I also picked up some of this; I was kicking myself last year for not trying it even though I really wanted to. Also, you can add me to the group of people who seem to have a pretty high caffeine tolerance.

Swap Sample Sipdown! (32)

This one is a bonus sample given to me by tea-sipper!

I had no idea Easter egg nests are also a thing in the UK! In the States I often see them made with chow mein noodles. Now that I’m thinking about it, I really want to eat some! XD

This is mostly just a chocolate black tea with a bit of added toastiness from the rice. I don’t really get marshmallow, though there were three mini marshmallows in my infuser, and they all melted fairly well.

Chocolate teas often taste somewhat thin to me, almost watery. This one does suffer from that a bit, and the base tea is not flavorful enough to make up for it. But that’s okay, this was a limited tea so I’m somewhat relieved to not be in love with it!

I think I would have enjoyed this more if it had a larger proportion of genmaicha to it, as the black tea doesn’t seem to be adding much here.

Flavors: Artificial, Chocolate, Cocoa, Smooth, Toasted Rice

Discovery TTB #17

Chocolate-flavored teas tend to be hit and miss for me, but this one is quite nice! The toasted rice adds a nice dimension to the chocolate flavor and keeps it from being thin and flat. I’m not really getting much marshmallow, but still enjoying the combination of rice and chocolate. Not a standout, but I’d drink it again.

Flavors: Chocolate, Rice

Another tea with popped rice, and I absolutely agree with why it’s in there. I’m not really a “Easter Egg Nest” eater but I think I can guesstimate what the taste should be. But I’m still not sure if I like that flavor in my tea. The chocolate is nice. I wish there was more of a creamy element, like more marshmallows in the bag? Not bad. I’ve yet to have a bad tea from B&B!

Flavors: Chocolate, Toasted Rice

Got this as a free sample. It’s nice enough, but just reminds me of hot chocolate mixed with tea, which has a bit of a flat taste. The green tea blend and toasted rice is a nice addition as I’m a fan of genmaicha, but the overall experience didn’t blow me away. Not one I’d seek to buy regularly.

Flavors: Chocolate, Toasted Rice

143/365

I finally woke up enough to go to the shop, so that meant I could buy some honey and make a start on Bluebird’s Easter collection. The first of those – and one I’ve tried before – is Easter Egg Nests. I think it was probably the year before last when I picked up my previous sample, so my recollection of it isn’t the clearest. The most I ever did was stick 1 tsp of it in water, though, so it wasn’t particularly exciting…

This year, I’m following Bluebird’s recipe and making it up as a latte. The instructions stipulate 3tsp of tea in 100ml water, topped off with 300ml milk. I adjusted slightly, using 250ml milk and 150ml water, because 1/4 litre of milk is enough for anyone and I want to actually be able to taste the tea. I was slightly dubious anyway, because it brews up basically white. More so when I added squirty cream instead of frothed milk. I needn’t have feared, though, because it actually tastes really good.

A lot of chocolate teas taste, at best, like watery hot chocolate. This one actually tastes of melted milk chocolate, even given the quantity of milk I’ve drowned it in. What sets it apart is the light background toastiness (a little like a genmaicha, although perhaps not as strong…) which is absolutely reminiscent of puffed rice cereal. In fact, what this tea actually tastes of is cocoa pops. That’s spot-on accurate for this flavour of this one, and I’m glad I managed to figure that out before trying to put my finger on it drove me mad. More specifically, it tastes like the milk cocoa pops have sat in for a while (you know, when they’ve gone a bit soggy), at least as a latte.

I don’t get “mini eggs” as such, although it’s sweet enough to invoke thoughts of their crisp sugar shells. I certainly get the “nest” part, though. That’s there, 100%.

I’m glad this one works well as a latte, because I’ve basically been waiting for it to be released this year for that reason alone. The only other tea I’m quite so eager to see back is Spiced Pumpkin Pie in the autumn, because I’ve got plans for that. Hopefully this won’t be the year they decide to skip it!

Anyway, for the moment, Easter Egg Nests is love!

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 3 tsp 5 OZ / 150 ML
tea-sipper

Oh, they won’t skip Spiced Pumpkin Pie… :D I’m so jealous you get to visit Bluebird shops! I’m in the US so… I would work at a Bluebird if I could!

Scheherazade

I hope not! I don’t get to visit very often, because there isn’t one that close to where I live. If there was, though, I’d give up my day job in an eye blink to work there!

Mastress Alita

I love me some Bluebird too, but man that shipping cost to the US is killer! Would be nice if they offered a free shipping perk after spending a certain amount like other tea venders, since I usually do a big bulk order whenever a buckle down and order from an international vendor, anyway.

Finally writing a tasting note for this one. I’ve had it a couple times. I LOVE chocolate marshmallow combinations in anything, especially if it’s a tea that actually uses cacao shells. Yum. The marshmallow melts really well so I taste equal parts chocolate and marshmallow on this light base but I come to expect the light base with most of Bluebird’s black teas. That might be because this one is also mixed with houjicha green teas, but I can’t really tell that other than from the description. There is also a toastiness from the toasties (ahem… the toasted rice). Basically I wanted to try this one because it was like Bluebird’s Snowball blend but without the coconut which would slowly ruin the blend. I’m very happy with this fun delicious tea!
Steep #1 // 1 heaping teaspoon for a full mug// 8 minutes after boiling // 3 minute steep
Steep #2 // just boiled // 3 minute steep

Flavors: Chocolate, Marshmallow

Ok, so first off, this tea is adorable. The tiny mallows and sunflower strands? You’re killing me, Bluebird.

The dry and steep aromatics are distinctly those of the marshmallow bunny coated in chocolate. Yeah, you know the one, yes you. The popped rice, I think, does just as much of the heavy lifting in that regard as the mallows and cocoa shell bits.

On the tongue, the chocolate pulls riiiiight through, the mallow easing it onto the palate, and the overall taste has the acidity of the black balanced by the distinct flavor of the green. I actually didn’t notice until the first taste that this was a black-green blend.

All-in-all, this is the Cocoa Krispies of tea. Just add Saturday morning cartoons and you’re set. I wouldn’t likely be moved to purchase again, but I am really glad to get to sample 10 g, and the cuteness of it all has me won over for sure.

Flavors: Dark Chocolate, Marshmallow, Sweet, warm grass, Toasted Rice