Canadian Breakfast

Maple, Malt
Edit tea info Last updated by Jillian
Boiling 4 min, 30 sec 9 oz / 266 ml

• “Really liked this for a few bags, but the gimmick wears out quickly. Would help if the tea was stronger or the maple weaker, as it is the tea flavor is totally overpowered.” Read full tasting note
  • “A decent maple tea. The aroma has a nice amount of maple, and the taste has less but still a nice amount. No bitterness coming from the black tea. A nice malty background. Because I am Canadian and...” Read full tasting note
  • “I dislike that Murchie’s has upped their 25 gram minimum to 50, and gotten rid of their loose-leaf 25 gram boxes. One of the most solid things about them an some of the other chains (yes,...” Read full tasting note
  • “I love this tea. The teas Murchie’s uses for this breakfast blend work really well, and the addition of maple just makes it that much sweeter (literally). I added half-and-half and minimal sugar to...” Read full tasting note

From Murchie's Tea & Coffee

Murchie’s Canadian Breakfast Tea is a traditional breakfast tea, with a Canadian maple twist.

About Murchie's Tea & Coffee View company

Flavors: Maple

A decent maple tea. The aroma has a nice amount of maple, and the taste has less but still a nice amount. No bitterness coming from the black tea. A nice malty background. Because I am Canadian and have tasted SO MANY maple teas, I am probably more critical than most of this type of tea, and I am always looking for more maple and so far I have not found that holy grail of maple teas yet. This one is nice enough that I would re-order and drink as a casual tea, but it is not “the one”. I find their Sugar Maple tea to have more more maple in it, and indeed it is the box I empty first. The Canadian Breakfast is nice if you are looking for a black breakfast tea as implied, and the Sugar Maple is sweeter so I consider it a dessert tea. Both could work for different purposes. If you are on the fence about ordering them, I would still recommend it – they are very pleasant for what they are.

Flavors: Malt, Maple

Boiling 5 min, 30 sec 6 OZ / 177 ML

I dislike that Murchie’s has upped their 25 gram minimum to 50, and gotten rid of their loose-leaf 25 gram boxes. One of the most solid things about them an some of the other chains (yes, DavidsTea) is that their minimum was way more friendly/made it much easier to sample many teas at once without getting stuck with a tea you didn’t like.

At any rate, they still have the boxes of ten teabags, which I opted for even though I tend to find there’s a difference in taste between their fanningteabags and looseleaf teas.

I associate Canadian breakfast with keemun for some reason, but this blend is strongly assam. Actually, I just checked and it SAYS it’s keemun and ceylon, but this is so overwhelmingly NOT keemun OR ceylon. Maybe an african-grown assam, but still definitely assam. Strong and malty, and almost that overly-tannic berry taste. It’s still got a bit of maple, but it’s definitely a very strong, astringent tea, which might just be due to the teabag although I don’t know how to explain the tea-blend discrepancy.

I love this tea. The teas Murchie’s uses for this breakfast blend work really well, and the addition of maple just makes it that much sweeter (literally). I added half-and-half and minimal sugar to this, and it surpassed expectations. Another plus: I’m reminded of my wonderful time in Vancouver whenever I take a sip :)

Flavors: Malt, Maple

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Sipdown. A robust tea like this was a perfect way to start off the day of my university convocation (whyyyyy did they schedule the ceremonies so early?)

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML
Evol Ving Ness

Congratulations!

Fjellrev

Congrats, Jillian!

Mookit

Congrats on your achievement :)

tigress_al