Wildcrafted Dian Hong

Black Tea Leaves
Caramel, Chocolate, Citrus, Citrus Zest, Cocoa, Creamy, Floral, Honey, Malt, Peppercorn, Smooth, Spices, Spicy, Sweet Potatoes, Black Pepper, Brown Sugar, Leather, Mineral, Wood, Tannin, Tea, Cookie, Earth
Bulk
High
Edit tea info Last updated by eastkyteaguy

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

Wildcrafted Dian Hong is a truly beautiful example of what can happen when mother nature and expert processing come together as one. Picked from the high mountains of Yunnan province, this tea is a beautiful balance of classic Dian Hong notes. At the front is sweet potato and warm, citrusy orange blossom honey and a touch of malt. This is quickly followed by milk chocolate and a touch of the classic Yunnan spice notes. The body is smooth and textured with an oily mouthfeel reminiscent of fresh Italian olive oil and a sweet lingering finish. If you’re looking for a clean, medium-bodied every day tea that is guaranteed free of contaminants by the very nature of its origin, look no further than Wildcrafted Dian Hong!

The recommended brewing style is Gongfu Style.

Western Style:

Steep 1/2 tablespoon (1.9g) of leaves in 8 ounces of 205ºF water for 3 minutes.

2nd infusion: 5 minutes.

3rd infusion: 8 minutes.

Gongfu Style:

Use 1g of leaf per 30ml (1 fl. oz.) of 205ºF water

Infusion times: 30s, 15s, 30s, 45s, 1m15s, 2m, 3m

Ingredient: Wildcrafted Yunnan Dian Hong

Harvest: Spring 2015

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

*Edit: I actually like this tea a bit more as it cools down. Could make a good black iced tea. Slight rating boost. from mid 60’s to 70.

Received this from Brenden as a sample. It is a rainy spring day here in Michigan. I had boiled some water in my electric kettle in order to make a jello brain (using a mold) for my book club tonight. We read The Hunger by Alma Katsu which is a supernatural retelling of the Donner Party so I’m making the jello brain and also providing beef jerky (heh). I’m excited to see what others bring. Anyway, I had some water on the boil at the ready so I thought, “Why not pour the rest over some tea?”

After steeping, the leaves had a smokey/char type of scent. It reminded me of a campground in the early morning. Now, that is not to say this tea tastes smokey. It doesn’t. The taste for me is… lacking a little bit. It is a perfectly acceptable tea but lacks something special. It has kind of a basic… I’m leaning towards malt but I don’t really want to say that because I associate malt with a sweeter note (right or wrong as that may be) and this doesn’t really give off sweet as a first impression for me. I also don’t want to say cardboard because while the flavor lacks and might be a bit flat it’s also not completely bland. It is somewhere between those two notes.

Either way, I’m not huge on cream and sweeteners in my teas but this one might take to it fairly well. It is a straight forward, semi-bold tea that lacks any defining character. Safe and dependable might be the way to describe it. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Boiling 2 min, 45 sec 5 g 12 OZ / 354 ML

After having a very mellow, Wizard of Oz Poppy field, type of tea (China Fujian Anxi ‘Tie Guan Yin’ Oolong Tea by What-Cha which I enjoyed very much). I really needed a pickup. Decided to try another Whispering Pines black tea. It did the trick… I’m awake again.

O_O

The dry leaves smelled like dark chocolate, had an absolute yummy aroma. I had a salty dinner and sweet after salty is always good, and vice versa. The wet leaves had sweet potatoes, stronger chocolate, and caramel aroma. Heavenly. The taste although good did not have the intensity of the aroma of the wet leaves. It was good but something was missing from a top tier Dian Hong (for me). Where’s that thick malt that I love so much? Is that what is missing? Well no… It’s there. Not strong, but it’s there. In fact, as I progressed through the infusions, the malt came out more and more. Nice. Check. The next infusions I got more cocoa notes, nice chocolate notes are here. Nice notes of cream, chocolate, spices… Peppercorns, spiciness, a touch of floral (I really suck at guessing what type of flower btw), some more sweet potatoes, some minerals, caramel, honey, a splash of citrus. Pretty tasty.

It’s medium-bodied, smooth, has a nice slick, oily mouthfeel and a nice finish. I think I would’ve loved some baked bread notes as I felt there needed to be something more to get this to the 90 range… But, all in all, it is still a good cup of tea, a daily sipper, reasonably priced and a clean tea (wildcrafted). I’ll have to try their parameters next time.

6g, 212°F, 110ml, rinse, 8 steeps: 25s, 35s, 45s, 55s, 65s, 75s, 85s, 120s

Flavors: Caramel, Chocolate, Citrus, Citrus Zest, Cocoa, Creamy, Floral, Honey, Malt, Peppercorn, Smooth, Spices, Spicy

Boiling 0 min, 45 sec 6 g 4 OZ / 110 ML

ah, yes. I love dian hongs and this is chocolate-y-sweet-potato-caramel-y-malty loveliness.

Complex with the chocolate absolutely coming through. Delicious.

Another tea from last weekend…

This is a really nice black tea; and I think brewing it Gong Fu brings out the flavour notes in the most wonderful way. I believe I steeped this one around a dozen times last weekend, but of course I did the thing where I didn’t take notes so I’m relying a little bit on my instagram post to help jog my memory a bit.

Notes of milk chocolate, barley, roasted peanuts, and French bread dominated the session; so all very rich, dense and full bodied flavour notes. With perhaps a sort of “Patisserie” theme to the composition of the taste? However, also some leather undertones in mid session infusions – in a pleasant way.

Photos: https://www.instagram.com/p/BtrdG1glc9W/

Song Pairing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob2uHIiW3II&list=LL1M1wDjmJD4SJr_CwzXAGuQ&index=54

“Tonight’s energy brought to you by…”

I needed a cup of coffee tonight, but didn’t want to grab any while working, so I grabbed my Kamjove and brewed this instead. It was very nice to have tea for once at work. I rarely have the time do make tea or even move from my desk. They take the whole, “Look busy” thing seriously. However, I figured to heck with it, I need tea; otherwise, you’ll have an angry worker who was already anxious for the day to end.

Notes; Chocolate, nutty, and oranges(?). Drank this for nearly two hours. Better than coffee.

Daylon R Thomas

I’ve always wanted to try that one. I’ve had the Earl Grey Version and was fairly impressed with it.

S.G. Sanders

It’s very good. Definitely made me want to get a few more blends to try.

I got a sample of this, along with other Whispering Pines Teas, as a gift. Unfortunately, I didn’t review it when I drank it, but I remember loving every sip. IIRC, it was smooth and full-bodied, with hints of sweetness.

Reviewing it here to remind myself to buy it again.

Prepared in a gongfu session with a porcelain gaiwan. Steeping times: 10 seconds, 12, 10, 12,15, 25, 35, 45; 1 minute, 2, 5.

I grabbed ounce with my last order. Just opened the packet! I’m met with a number scents when I test the leaf’s aromas. The dry leaf is pleasingly sweet, smelling of rich cocoa, mashed sweet potatoes, and a little bit of malt. The pre-heated leaf smells more strongly of cocoa and malt, and there is an addition of cinnamon. The wet leaf aroma is simply tannic.

The liquor is light orange, full-bodied, clear, and fragrant with notes of sweet potatoes and honey. For the first few cups, I mostly taste sweet potato and a bit of malt, with honey lurking in the background. At the fourth cup, there is still sweet potato, but when I let the liquor sit in my mouth for a bit, I begin to taste cocoa nibs. Following the fifth cup to the end, the sweet potato and malty notes have totally gone, letting cocoa nibs and cocoa shells take over. Someone else on Steepster commented it tastes like Laoshan Black Chocolate Genchmaicha, and I concur. Very chocolate-like, but without additional ingredients. Additionally, the texture is thick and smooth.

I expected to taste sweet potato for the entire session, but was surprised when cocoa completely took over in the middle. What a switch! In my experience (still very much exploring), it’s either this or that for Dian Hong. I thoroughly enjoyed every cup, from start to finish. Delicious and complex.

Boiling 3 g 60 OZ / 1774 ML

I got this tea as a sample along with some ripe puerh that I ordered from Whispering Pines.

Upon opening the bag, the smell of cocoa was so prevalent that I actually had to check to make sure it wasn’t a blended tea (even though I expect it in a Dian Hong). Brewed up, the cocoa was there in the background but along with a strong maltiness, with strong sweet potato and subtle spices. A very enticing cup of tea. I was impressed – very much in the classic Dian Hong range of flavors, but a very good example of the style.

Flavors: Cocoa, Malt, Spicy, Sweet Potatoes

I’m falling behind on reviews again. I finished the last of this tea a couple days ago, compiled my notes, and then just left them sitting. I’m starting to get really bad about that. Anyway, I found this tea to be a rock solid Dian Hong.

I prepared this tea gongfu style. After a quick rinse, I steeped 6 grams of loose tea leaves in 4 ounces of 200 F water for 5 seconds. I followed this infusion up with 11 additional infusions. Steep times for these infusions were as follows: 10 seconds, 15 seconds, 20 seconds, 25 seconds, 30 seconds, 40 seconds, 1 minute, 1 minute 30 seconds, 2 minutes, 3 minutes, and 5 minutes.

Prior to the rinse, the dry tea leaves emitted mild aromas of wood, leather, and chocolate. After the rinse, I noted that the chocolate aroma intensified and was joined by a subtle scent of caramel. The first infusion produced a similar, though slightly more integrated aroma. In the mouth, I picked up on mild notes of leather, wood, caramel, and chocolate. Subsequent infusions were more robust and complex. I noted an increased woodiness, as well as the emergence of brown sugar, sweet potato, malt, orange blossom honey, and black pepper aromas and flavors. Later infusions were smooth and mild. Malt and minerals provided the dominant aromas and flavors, though lingering impressions of honey, brown sugar, wood, and sweet potato were just barely detectable on the finish.

This was a nice Dian Hong. This being a wildcrafted tea, I was expecting it to be earthier and rougher around the edges, but all in all, this was good. I would have liked to see more spice character and a little more robust flavor overall, but this was still a very respectable tea. I wouldn’t mind purchasing this one again at some point in the future.

Flavors: Black Pepper, Brown Sugar, Caramel, Chocolate, Honey, Leather, Malt, Mineral, Sweet Potatoes, Wood

200 °F / 93 °C 6 g 4 OZ / 118 ML