Wildcrafted Dian Hong

Black Tea Leaves
Malt, Smooth, Sweet, Sweet Potatoes, Baked Bread, Brown Sugar, Caramel, Chocolate, Citrus, Citrus Zest, Cocoa, Creamy, Floral, Honey, Peppercorn, Spices, Spicy, Black Pepper, Leather, Mineral, Wood, Tannin, Tea, Cookie, Earth
Bulk
High
Edit tea info Last updated by eastkyteaguy

• “This tea was super interesting! Smelled very strongly of stone fruits out of the pouch, but I didn’t get a hint of that in the flavor. The initial flavor is very charcoal-forward, but became much...” Read full tasting note
  • “Tea Advent Calendar – Day 14 I was excited to see a Whispering Pines tea in the advent calendar today and I was not disappointed! This is exactly the type of black tea I love: smooth and slightly...” Read full tasting note
  • “This long-leafed tea has a very comforting aroma and taste of malt, sweet potato and baked bread: Thanksgiving in a cup. It’s not astoundingly complex but is very reliable in bringing relaxation...” Read full tasting note
  • “*Edit: I actually like this tea a bit more as it cools down. Could make a good black iced tea. Slight rating boost. from mid 60’s to 70. Received this from Brenden as a sample. It is a rainy...” Read full tasting note

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

Wildcrafted Dian Hong is a truly beautiful example of what can happen when mother nature and expert processing come together as one. Picked from the high mountains of Yunnan province, this tea is a beautiful balance of classic Dian Hong notes. At the front is sweet potato and warm, citrusy orange blossom honey and a touch of malt. This is quickly followed by milk chocolate and a touch of the classic Yunnan spice notes. The body is smooth and textured with an oily mouthfeel reminiscent of fresh Italian olive oil and a sweet lingering finish. If you’re looking for a clean, medium-bodied every day tea that is guaranteed free of contaminants by the very nature of its origin, look no further than Wildcrafted Dian Hong!

The recommended brewing style is Gongfu Style.

Western Style:

Steep 1/2 tablespoon (1.9g) of leaves in 8 ounces of 205ºF water for 3 minutes.

2nd infusion: 5 minutes.

3rd infusion: 8 minutes.

Gongfu Style:

Use 1g of leaf per 30ml (1 fl. oz.) of 205ºF water

Infusion times: 30s, 15s, 30s, 45s, 1m15s, 2m, 3m

Ingredient: Wildcrafted Yunnan Dian Hong

Harvest: Spring 2015

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

This tea was super interesting! Smelled very strongly of stone fruits out of the pouch, but I didn’t get a hint of that in the flavor. The initial flavor is very charcoal-forward, but became much more chocolatey as it cooled.

Tea Advent Calendar – Day 14

I was excited to see a Whispering Pines tea in the advent calendar today and I was not disappointed! This is exactly the type of black tea I love: smooth and slightly sweet with notes of malt and sweet potato. It also re-steeps beautifully!

Flavors: Malt, Smooth, Sweet, Sweet Potatoes

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

Please keep things friendly and .

This long-leafed tea has a very comforting aroma and taste of malt, sweet potato and baked bread: Thanksgiving in a cup. It’s not astoundingly complex but is very reliable in bringing relaxation and a happy smile. At least, it does it for me. And this tea is also priced quite below other offerings by Whispering Pines, which helps.

Given all that, this is a good choice for a daily drinker at work or on any busy day when there is a need for a short mindless relaxation break.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Brown Sugar, Caramel, Malt, Sweet Potatoes

Please keep things friendly and .

Received this from Brenden as a sample. It is a rainy spring day here in Michigan. I had boiled some water in my electric kettle in order to make a jello brain (using a mold) for my book club tonight. We read The Hunger by Alma Katsu which is a supernatural retelling of the Donner Party so I’m making the jello brain and also providing beef jerky (heh). I’m excited to see what others bring. Anyway, I had some water on the boil at the ready so I thought, “Why not pour the rest over some tea?”

After steeping, the leaves had a smokey/char type of scent. It reminded me of a campground in the early morning. Now, that is not to say this tea tastes smokey. It doesn’t. The taste for me is… lacking a little bit. It is a perfectly acceptable tea but lacks something special. It has kind of a basic… I’m leaning towards malt but I don’t really want to say that because I associate malt with a sweeter note (right or wrong as that may be) and this doesn’t really give off sweet as a first impression for me. I also don’t want to say cardboard because while the flavor lacks and might be a bit flat it’s also not completely bland. It is somewhere between those two notes.

Either way, I’m not huge on cream and sweeteners in my teas but this one might take to it fairly well. It is a straight forward, semi-bold tea that lacks any defining character. Safe and dependable might be the way to describe it. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Boiling 2 min, 45 sec 5 g 12 OZ / 354 ML

Please keep things friendly and .

After having a very mellow, Wizard of Oz Poppy field, type of tea (China Fujian Anxi ‘Tie Guan Yin’ Oolong Tea by What-Cha which I enjoyed very much). I really needed a pickup. Decided to try another Whispering Pines black tea. It did the trick… I’m awake again.

O_O

The dry leaves smelled like dark chocolate, had an absolute yummy aroma. I had a salty dinner and sweet after salty is always good, and vice versa. The wet leaves had sweet potatoes, stronger chocolate, and caramel aroma. Heavenly. The taste although good did not have the intensity of the aroma of the wet leaves. It was good but something was missing from a top tier Dian Hong (for me). Where’s that thick malt that I love so much? Is that what is missing? Well no… It’s there. Not strong, but it’s there. In fact, as I progressed through the infusions, the malt came out more and more. Nice. Check. The next infusions I got more cocoa notes, nice chocolate notes are here. Nice notes of cream, chocolate, spices… Peppercorns, spiciness, a touch of floral (I really suck at guessing what type of flower btw), some more sweet potatoes, some minerals, caramel, honey, a splash of citrus. Pretty tasty.

It’s medium-bodied, smooth, has a nice slick, oily mouthfeel and a nice finish. I think I would’ve loved some baked bread notes as I felt there needed to be something more to get this to the 90 range… But, all in all, it is still a good cup of tea, a daily sipper, reasonably priced and a clean tea (wildcrafted). I’ll have to try their parameters next time.

6g, 212°F, 110ml, rinse, 8 steeps: 25s, 35s, 45s, 55s, 65s, 75s, 85s, 120s

Flavors: Caramel, Chocolate, Citrus, Citrus Zest, Cocoa, Creamy, Floral, Honey, Malt, Peppercorn, Smooth, Spices, Spicy

Boiling 0 min, 45 sec 6 g 4 OZ / 110 ML

Please keep things friendly and .

ah, yes. I love dian hongs and this is chocolate-y-sweet-potato-caramel-y-malty loveliness.

Please keep things friendly and .

Complex with the chocolate absolutely coming through. Delicious.

Please keep things friendly and .

Another tea from last weekend…

This is a really nice black tea; and I think brewing it Gong Fu brings out the flavour notes in the most wonderful way. I believe I steeped this one around a dozen times last weekend, but of course I did the thing where I didn’t take notes so I’m relying a little bit on my instagram post to help jog my memory a bit.

Notes of milk chocolate, barley, roasted peanuts, and French bread dominated the session; so all very rich, dense and full bodied flavour notes. With perhaps a sort of “Patisserie” theme to the composition of the taste? However, also some leather undertones in mid session infusions – in a pleasant way.

Photos: https://www.instagram.com/p/BtrdG1glc9W/

Song Pairing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob2uHIiW3II&list=LL1M1wDjmJD4SJr_CwzXAGuQ&index=54

Please keep things friendly and .

“Tonight’s energy brought to you by…”

I needed a cup of coffee tonight, but didn’t want to grab any while working, so I grabbed my Kamjove and brewed this instead. It was very nice to have tea for once at work. I rarely have the time do make tea or even move from my desk. They take the whole, “Look busy” thing seriously. However, I figured to heck with it, I need tea; otherwise, you’ll have an angry worker who was already anxious for the day to end.

Notes; Chocolate, nutty, and oranges(?). Drank this for nearly two hours. Better than coffee.

Daylon R Thomas

I’ve always wanted to try that one. I’ve had the Earl Grey Version and was fairly impressed with it.

MadHatterTeaDrunk

It’s very good. Definitely made me want to get a few more blends to try.

Please keep things friendly and .

I got a sample of this, along with other Whispering Pines Teas, as a gift. Unfortunately, I didn’t review it when I drank it, but I remember loving every sip. IIRC, it was smooth and full-bodied, with hints of sweetness.

Reviewing it here to remind myself to buy it again.