2003 Reserve Four Season Oolong

Oolong Tea
Burnt, Char, Roasted, Burnt Sugar, Caramel, Smoke, Toasted, Wood, Coffee, Mineral, Roasted nuts, Seaweed
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

• “ETA: since I wrote this review a few months ago, I have almost gone through the 2oz I bought...Today, I lost count of all the gongfu infusions I made. I'M IN LOVE WITH THIS OOLONG!!...” Read full tasting note
    TheTeaFairy 412 tasting notes
  • “I have been literally steeping this ALL DAY LONG and it is lovely. I have had at least 8 good hearty steeps out of it and am still going pretty strong. It is lightening up now but the flavor is...” Read full tasting note
    azzrian 807 tasting notes
  • “mmmmm now this? this is an oolong i can get behind. This is dark and beautiful and there's a woody, almost smokey but not quite flavour going on here. Yep, this is not your every day oolong, ...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 5241 tasting notes
  • “I've had this one for a little while now ran out of it bought more and now that's going to be a repeated cycle over and over with a bigger amount each time most likely, it's taking me long this...” Read full tasting note
    toadman208 474 tasting notes

From Butiki Teas

Our aged oolong is sourced from the Dong Ding tea growing region of Nantou County in Taiwan and was harvested in the spring of 2003. The varietal is Si Ji Chuan also known as Four Season. Our aged oolong was crafted by blend master Chen Pei Wen and is re-roasted every 2-3 years to minimize moisture content. 2003 Reserve Four Season Oolong is a rich full-bodied silky tea. The charcoal-colored leaves of this smooth oolong produce notes of honey suckle, bark, and grass and has a natural sweetness with no astringency present. This tea is also low in caffeine.

Ingredients: Taiwanese Oolong Tea

Recommended Brew Time: 4 minutes
Recommended Amount: 1 1/2 teaspoons of tea for 8oz of water
Recommended Temperature: 180 F

For more information, please visit: http://www.butikiteas.com

About Butiki Teas View company

I’ve never tried an aged oolong before. When I first opened the bag I was surprised at how dark the leaves are. They’re almost black. It had an unidentifiable smell. It didn’t smell particularly good or bad. I’m very sorry to say that I didnt enjoy this tea. I just didn’t care for the taste. I mean no disrespect to Butiki Teas. Maybe I don’t like aged oolongs? I think I’ll see if somebody that would appreciate this tea would be interested in a swap.

Hm….not really sure how I feel about this one. First off, it’s the darkest oolong I have ever seen. It’s so dark. Like, pitch black.I guess it is aged, so it makes sense why it’s this dark. But for some reason It’s still surprising to me. xD Not used to it I guess.
The aroma reminds me kinda of charcoal, or something else that’s burnt.
The flavor is kinda the same.
It’s like a roasted oolong 2.0, since it’s way stronger than any other roasted oolong I’ve ever had. Not really been enjoying roasted oolongs lately, so this one isn’t my favorite at the moment.
But I can see myself drinking more of this kind of oolong once I’m off my floral oolong kick. For now…it’s just an interesting tea.
Think this is my first aged oolong…and I’m not really sure what to think. :S I’ll have to try it again I suppose.
But thanks to MzPriss for a generous sample of this tea! Happy to try it!

Flavors: Burnt, Char, Roasted

What a sultry brew this is. Dark, smokey, woodsy maybe teak or mahogany, creme brulee crispiness, Brasil nut, hint of patchouli. All the thing one loves in roasted oolong. This is pretty imposing 10 year old, not for the faint of heart. That said I did have a quick sensation that it may be over roasted, but got over it after another sip. If you like big & bold this is for you.

Charles Thomas Draper

After my session was over I put the tea in a Mason jar and covered it. I let it steep overnight and into the fridge for many days. When I finally tasted it I have only one word to describe it, whiskey….

BigDaddy

Now you’re talking, maybe boil it down, make an extract for a new bitters. Use it in addition to Bourbon and sweet Vermouth and voila the “CTD Manhattan”

I snagged this one from the massive Lewis & Clark tea box! There are a few of those around. Dark little oolong bundles here! There was only a teaspoon of the sample left, so I was planning on not filling the mug all the way (should be 1 1/2 teaspoons for 8 ounces). It’s a little tough for my palatte to tell all of these roasted oolongs apart. Maybe I’m not there yet, maybe I never will be. The main flavor from these types of oolong is charcoal, making it not my favorite. With this one, I’m also getting autumn leaves, roasted marshmallow, the lightest sweet potato. It reminds me a bit of Formosa oolong, though I’m not sure how different the two oolongs are. It’s a lighter flavor, focusing on charcoal, but of course this is Butiki so there are some other elements there. It is interesting that my favorite green oolongs can be boiled, but roasted oolongs should be at 180 degrees. The second and third steeps were very similar to the first, but the second steep seemed to have stronger flavors. This one doesn’t change much between steeps. I’m happy I tried this tea but I think I’d like every other Butiki tea more than this one…if I don’t love the roasted oolong that Butiki carries, I think it’s enough to tell me they aren’t my thing. I’m planning a Butiki order soon!
Steep #1 // 1 tsp // 30 min after boiling // 4 min steep
Steep #2 // 30 min after boiling // 4 min
Steep #3 // 10 min after boiling // 4 min

I just have to say.. OH MY GOD. This tea is heaven. Lately, I’ve been trying to get through my sipdown box, which consists of a lot of teas that I’m on the fence about. As a result, I’ve forgotten how it is to completely be in love with a tea. It’s roasty and has a charcoal note without being too smoky. I even resteeped it several times without the flavor fading at all. This tea seriously deserves a perfect rating in my book. I think I may have to put in another order with Butiki to grab some more of this before it’s gone forever!

I agree with the idea of burnt sugar notes and roasted notes to this tea. The roasted notes are foremost with this tea. They are somewhat too strong. I brewed this western style according to the directions. I will have to try it Gongfu style and see if they are mitigated. I still enjoyed the tea. It was still somewhat good.

I brewed this once in a 12 oz teapot with 3 tsp leaf and 175 degree water for 4 min.

Flavors: Burnt Sugar, Roasted

My first aged tea. Wow. First steep was smokey, woody with a sweetness like burnt caramel. After that the smokiness got less and less and became more like roasty/toasty. I steeped up to 5 times western style the last for 8 minutes and the leaves were still not completely unfurled! I could tell I could’ve gotten more but I had to stop and I was not feeling well. A delicious intriguing tea

Flavors: Burnt Sugar, Caramel, Roasted, Smoke, Toasted, Wood

TheTeaFairy

My favourite aged oolong! Glad you enjoyed it :-)

Krystal

Me too! Looking forward to trying out the 1991 Da Ye aged oolong

This sample came from Tommy. This is one of the oolongs that I didn’t order during Butiki’s birthday sale, and I was excited to receive it in a swap so I could try it anyway! The pellets are quite tightly rolled and extremely dark in color. Dry scent is very roasted autumn leaves, and it’s milder than I expected. I followed the instructions on Butiki’s website and did a 4 minute steep.

Once brewed, the tea smells very charred, kind of like burnt toast along with deeply caramelized sugar. It smells quite similar to strong coffee… and it actually tastes that way too! The first thing that comes to mind is dark roast coffee. It’s also quite nutty in a toasty kind of way. There’s a little bit of a seaweed or marine flavor that makes it a touch savory, along with a very mild mineral note.

Overall, this tea is quite unusual but I did enjoy trying it. I’ll definitely need to try it gong fu style as oolongs tend to be best that way in my (limited) experience. Come soon, gaiwan! :)

Flavors: Burnt Sugar, Coffee, Mineral, Roasted, Roasted nuts, Seaweed

Cheri

I like roasted oolongs western style, but green and lightly roasted oolongs I prefer gongfu.

Cameron B.

I tried this one gong fu style and didn’t find it to be much different from Western. :P

Wow! This is one of the most uniquely flavored teas I’ve ever had the pleasure of tasting. The dry leaf is tightly curled and dark as the best kind of sin.

I followed the directions of 1 tsp (ok mayble a little more than 1 tsp) for 8 ounces of 180 water for 4 minutes and was rewarded with a deeply colored brew with a woody and slightly vegetal aroma.

First sip was sweet and fruity and nectary, almost a bug bitten flavor to me. There is a lot going on with this tea. There is the lovely roastiness, a woody bottom and that lilt of fruity, floral sweetness at the top that makes this tea sing. It’s bold and beautiful like Tina Turner:

I wish I had started on this gong fu style, but I have more and I will spend plenty of time with this.

Sarsonator

Well someone was up bright and early! Good morning, sunshine!

TheTeaFairy

This is my beloved aged oolong. So glad you liked it!! Gongfu it, you will enter the twilight zone…

Sarsonator

I still don’t know how I missed this one at the sale. I’m such a goober sometimes!

MzPriss

I was up at 3 drank a shitload of tea, bought a minor shitload of tea (and a yixing) and then went back to sleep.

You rock missy :-)

Sarsonator

LOL Friday night tea party!!!!

Cameron B.

Sars, I missed this one too! Waaaaaah.

donkeytiara

oooooh……one day i will oolong….