Earl Grey

Bergamot, Black Tea
Loose Leaf, Tea Bag
Fair Trade, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by adagio breeze

From Clipper

Clipper Organic Earl Grey Tea comes from the beautiful mountains of South India and lush gardens of Ceylon. This organically grown tea delicately scented with natural bergamot flavour makes the perfect cup of Earl Grey. Ingredients: Organically grown black tea, natural Bergamot flavour.

About Clipper View company

Earl grey tea is the perfect drink for the morning with it’s combination of strong black tea and citrus sweet bergamot.
I find that one way to tell a good Earl Grey tea apart from a not so good Earl Grey tea is the smell of the bag or loose tea before it’s actually brewed. Good tea’s (such as this one) will have a strong yet fresh smell with notable bergamot fragrance which is enhanced once brewed and creates a perfect blend.

Smell (once brewed): Sweet and tangy (almost like orange which is the bergamot).
Colour: Dark brown (I don’t have milk)

Taste: With our smell test done that leaves the taste and waiting an average of 3-4 minutes for this beauty to brew is well worth the wait. The black tea gives your body charge while the bergamot awakens your senses. Each mouthful is naturally sweet with strong earthy tones from the black tea and it leaves a beautiful and somewhat perfumey after taste.

Due to it’s natural sweetness it’s perfect for those of us on a diet as it helps keep our calories to a minimum. I also love that this tea is yummy with or without milk so you can either go for strength or smoothness.

ScottTeaMan

If you have the patience, try brewing it like I did in my cold brew Teas 4 method. I steeped for 10.5 hours overnight, but you could probably get away with 7-8 hours. I ised 4 teabags of Twinings EG, which I believe are 2g each. My loose tea tea guesstimation would be 1 level to slightly heaping TBSP. My glass press I used is roughly 20 Oz.

KittyLovesTea

Sounds wonderful _ I will give this a try when I get some space in my fridge.

ScottTeaMan

Is your version bagged or loose??

KittyLovesTea

I have the bagged version and quite a lot of it.

ScottTeaMan

I just bought quite a bit of Twinings EG, otherwise I’d consider it. I found it on Amazon, but it is temp sold out. It is almost double what I paid for the Twinings. I’m not sure the Twinings has natural bergamot, but sinnce the Clipper EG doesit’s probably worth the price. :))

KittyLovesTea

Wow I just checked Clippers shop to see how much international shipping is….it costs a minimum of £40 which is at least $70! It is a very nice tea and worth the try. Twinings used to be my usual Earl Grey supplier but Clipper is much more fragrant and natural, much nicer. Not sure how much it is on Amazon but maybe you could treat yourself.

ScottTeaMan

It’s $20 for 120 teabags [12.84 pounds], plus in US it’s eligible for free shipping on orders over $25. it’s really a fair price.

Had this one in Amsterdam.

It was much better than I had anticipated. The bergamot was very strong and the tea was very strong.

I seem to be coming down with a cold again, so today I’m reaching for my comforting teas to soothe my scratchy throat. This is so damn nice brewed strong (2 bags for a mug) with milk and sugar/agave. It’s like a hug or a fluffy blanket for the soul. I feel so much better now than before I started the cup. Upping the rating!

KittyLovesTea

I love this Earl Grey, the bergamot is pretty full on and fresh. I hope you feel better soon.

italiastar

I must have a duff batch – hardly any bergamot

adagio breeze

Well mine is pretty old (best before date is April 2013) so maybe they changed it?

I’m trying this tea whilst sitting beside the Serpentine within Hyde Park. As I sit I’m watching the swans preen themselves, people riding horses on the far bank and listening to the Queens Guard bellow orders in the distance.

It’s a brisk morning and my partner and I needed a warm cup of tea to warm our bones. Earl Grey (my favorite) should do the trick.

The first time I tried this tea I found that although a balanced tea it is, it lacks the ompf I’ve come to expect from my Earl Greys. After brewing longer it’s starting to come out but it’s not quite there. In saying that I do enjoy it as it’s a ‘pure’ example of Earl Grey. It’s unadultered by citrus, rose and anything else they care to add.

It also is nice for an organic as most I find are selling karma not tea but that’s an aside.

Despite the fact I’m sure my enjoyment of the tea is biased by the cold and locale I’d still rate it highly. In short a good traditional tea in a country built on both tradition and tea.

After Twinings started to, ahem, experiment, I went in search of a new bagged Earl Grey. This is by far the best I’ve found so far.

what a classic tea! i love the musky tasty and the bittersweet kick that is the after taste of this lovely tea. most people enjoy without milk but I find this tea is the best with a splash of soya milk. yum!

This is by far my favourite Earl Grey, I used to go through countless cups a day. Now I save it for special occasions so I don’t get tired of it. I can’t imagine this could happen but I’d rather be save than sorry!

I loved this Earl grey. All the gorgeousness of citrus and bergamot with out the caffeine.
This tea was slightly smoother but still delivers everything you’d expect from an Earl Grey tea.
I prefer a caffeine free tea early morning I love this tea’s subtle after taste. I’ve tasted a few non caffeine versions of muched loved tea’s by other companies and somehow I’ve felt like they were lacking in flavour.
I’d recomend this non caffeine tea to all Earl grey lovers. It would also be a smooth experience for the first time earl grey drinker.

Mmmm. This tea is often in my cupboard, so I don’t usually bother to take it out, although I thought I should for my sipdown challenge.

This is hands-down my favourite traditional Earl Grey. It is a staple in my house and the houses of extended family members (it now strongly reminds me of Frank’s family every time I drink it, as they have it more often than unflavoured black tea). Clipper is one of the better brands of teabags usually found in British supermarkets, and I prefer to buy these when we run out of EG when I can afford it. The bergamot is very strong, as is the base tea, which is good for me as I love strong teas. The citrus-y bergamot has a lingering almost orange note, which adds a lovely extra dimension. I wish we had some of these in at the moment – writing up this note is giving me cravings!

Sipdown! (16/203)

Red Fennekin

I know what you mean about Clipper teas! For a ‘standard tea bag’ company, they really are quite decent! :-)

Nattie

Definitely! There isn’t much choice around me, tea-wise, so Clipper is usually my go-to brand when I’m food shopping and get new-tea cravings. (:

My first Clipper tea and probably my last. No discernable bergamot, but underlying tea is good. Possibly a bad batch.