Fleurilège

Cocoa, Nuts, Vanilla, Cream
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

3 Images

• “excuse me while i roll around in this one for a while. Oh man. This is a delicious vanilla and hazelnut tea! I'm not sure what i was expecting when i opened up this sample from dinosara but it...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 5241 tasting notes
  • “I quick note on this before I pass out from exhaustion. I was thinking about the fact that I have pretty much no time for tea drinking with my current schedule, and how I want to do some sipdowns....” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 2007 tasting notes
  • “This tea just arrived with my order of 16 teas...yes I know 16 teas...:) I found a lovely website selling Dammann Frères teas by 50 g ! So I was able to order more teas for the same...” Read full tasting note
    Ysaurella 379 tasting notes
  • “This whole Dammann Frères experience is turning a little too existential and emotional. I just wanted to drink some _tea,_ okay? And now I'm forced to reminisce about my dead grandmother and maybe...” Read full tasting note
    annapocalyptic 300 tasting notes

From Dammann Freres

“Fleurilège” flavored black tea

This blend of black teas with sweet aromas of vanilla and hazelnut is embellished with flower petals, giving it an aesthetic whose elegance is matched by his taste.

Brewing time: 4 to 5 minutes

About Dammann Freres View company

excuse me while i roll around in this one for a while. Oh man. This is a delicious vanilla and hazelnut tea! I’m not sure what i was expecting when i opened up this sample from dinosara but it wasn’t something this deliciously wonderful! Seriously… oh yum.

Anna

Haha, I JUST drank this…

awesome :)

TastyBrew

Sounds amazing! Yum!!!!

Holy crap so many posts! Sorry about that. Wish I could delete them haha

hahaha too funny. I used to be able to delete people’s comments on my own posts, but now it looks like i can only delete my own. hmmm not that i’d delete yours ‘cause that’s just funny :)

What can I say, I guess I really love the tea. :D

2007 tasting notes

I quick note on this before I pass out from exhaustion. I was thinking about the fact that I have pretty much no time for tea drinking with my current schedule, and how I want to do some sipdowns. I figured that I probably have enough time between getting up and starting teaching to drink a cup of tea (I don’t leave a ton of time in the morning; not a morning person). So I made a cup of this in my ceramic “travel” mug (it has a silicone lid). I ran into two issues with this plan:

1. There is a hairline crack in the mug which was hissing during the making of the tea, although it doesn’t seem to have allowed much if any liquid in between the double walls. Ugh I need a new travel mug, but can never find the perfect one (99% ceramic or glass on the inside).

2. I forgot that midway between waking up and getting to work I brush my teeth (after breakfast). I ended up drinking the tea rather quickly pre-toothbrushing, and I guess I will keep trying that for now, but otherwise I don’t know if I have enough time.

Ugh, two more weeks of this heinous schedule. Is it September yet?

Nooooooo not, September!

Cameron B.

Yes please, bring on the Autumn!

Mandy

Yes for September! My 21st birthday (;

darby

Sounds funny, but I use crest cinnamon flavor toothpaste and it doesn’t interfere with tea!

Marzipan

What do you teach?

Dinosara

Yes September! I will only be doing one class a week then, and since between now and then I can pretty much write off my life to teaching anyway, it wouldn’t matter to me if I skipped it!

Marzipan: I teach human gross anatomy to medical students. Right now the first year students are in an intensive course (focusing on the limbs) until August 22.

This tea just arrived with my order of 16 teas…yes I know 16 teas…:)
I found a lovely website selling Dammann Frères teas by 50 g ! So I was able to order more teas for the same amount.

This one wasn’t in my wish list but I decided to take 100 g to reach 39 € to beneficiate of the free shipping.
This is a great surprise because I like it so much.
As usually the tea base is the same Ceylon +China and the aromas are vanilla and hazelnut.Really nice for breakfast.

So sweet, so mellow, so YUMMY without being exceptional…just YUMMY and that’s really nice enough to me.

Oh wow! 16 teas! I smaller quantities! Yay!

Ysaurella

yes :) the website is really cute and the service professional :http://www.instant-the.com/
most of the teas are Dammann Frères ones

That IS cute!

Hallieod

Nice website! It’s great that your first sampling was an unexpected hit!

Dinosara

Ooh, awesome about that website! I am still trying to decide what teas to buy when I visit Paris in July! Having to buy 100g makes it difficult to choose.

Ysaurella

@Dinosara : you may order from them during your visit in France (or before)and request a delivery to your hotel or place in Paris.It took 2 full working days to receive my parcel.

Ysaurella

@ Hallie : yes it decided to buy from this website because I loved the website design. and of course because I wanted to taste more Dammann Frères teas !

Dinosara

Aw, it looks like they don’t ship to North America. Darn!

Ysaurella

they can do but this is expensive, I asked them in the past for a person living in Canada. That’s why you may request them to deliver in Paris to the place you’re going to live during your visit.
But you can also find small tea shops inside Paris which sell Dammann teas by 50g. The only point is they often don’t have more than 15 teas from DF (because they sell as well other brands)

Dinosara

Ah yes, I see. Do you have any recommendations for shops in Paris that sell various French teas (including Dammann) by 50g?

Ysaurella

you have this one which has various tea brands : Compagnie coloniale, Dammann Frères and Kusmi teas :http://www.pagesjaunes.fr/pros/05368333?idContext=1405718383&portail=PJ#onglet-infos

Ysaurella

be careful it is closed on Sunday and monday :)

Ysaurella

if you want to taste japanese teas, Linfield teas (French Brand) or George Cannon teas (French as well) I highly recommend this shop :http://www.themerrymonk.fr/

Ysaurella

and there is a shop thé et chocolat where you can buy Mariage Frères ones by 50g BUT only during the week (not the week end) :http://dismoiou.fr/p/fra/paris/7AO5W1/the-et-chocolat
but teas are almost 15% more expensive than in a MF shop (where you can only buy by 100g)

Dinosara

Thanks for the recommendations! Hopefully I’ll be able to check some of them out! :)

cteresa

Funny that a tea called fleurilége is vanilla and hazelnut and not flowers! Glad it was a good surprise.

And this link list is going to be so useful to me! Thank you. Must bookmark.

Ysaurella

@ Teresa : there are some sunflowers in the blend :) but the tea name is clearly playing on words : fleurilège for florilège which means collection,anthology…

This whole Dammann Frères experience is turning a little too existential and emotional. I just wanted to drink some tea, okay? And now I’m forced to reminisce about my dead grandmother and maybe even reevaluate my whole outlook on black teas. I’m packing my trans-Atlantic suitcase right now; I don’t have time for these shenanigans!

But fine. My two top blacks are teas from Mariage Frères – they’re rich and luxurious and very flavourful. I love all those things. But they’re also fairly thick, almost a little muddy, and very dark, which pretty much sums up what I have a hard time handling when it comes to certain blacks.

Dammann’s black bases, on the other hand, leave the liquid a dark amber, and they’re very light and easily drunk. In this case, though, the flavour is a little too delicate to leave me entirely seduced. It’s quite smooth and elegant, but I think I’d like to try a somewhat longer steep to see if I can get some more flavour out of this.

[From my epic Instant-Thé order to Rome, October 2013.]

Dinosara

I usually go full boil on my Dammann black blends, and I never have any bitterness. I’d try it a bit hotter, too!

I served a bunch of teas today, & even managed a few sipdowns in the process, which I’ll report on later. For now, I’m back at Tony’s, working on a few teas I brought with me while he fixes dinner (He truly is the most wonderful man in the world). this tea is a tasty hazelnut & vanilla, from my *Sil*box.

I love the hazelnut in this and the base is really nice – you can’t really go wrong with Dammann. A piece of brioche with this would be heaven and very Proustian. I have a piece leftover in the kitchen – should I?

back with the brioche You know, looking at the ingredients it seems like my brioche has a bit of rum to it which makes a lot of sense. Brioche is not about straight sugar, it has a depth to it, just like maple syrup for example is not just a sweetener but its own particular woody, fabulous taste. Brioche is good at any time but I’m glad I paired it with this tea.

Now I need to find a rum-scented tea. I don’t like alcohol but I’m really curious about the combo. Done right, it could be really decadent. OR a maple syrup tea! Oh my god just the idea of this.

Another winner in my batch of samples from Ysaurella. Thank you again, dear :)

Dinosara

Glad to hear you liked it!

Ysaurella

it was a nice surprise as I bought this one in addition of my Instant-Thé order and I am really happy to have bought 100g.
Happy you liked it too.
You’re very welcome with the samples? It was my pleasure to share

Vanilla and hazelnut enhance the taste; sunflower petals mixed in amongst the dark brown twisted leaves enhance the visual impact. This is a very special tea which most tea guests will enjoy.

I’m not usually a huge fan of flavored teas. So it’s a bit of a mystery why I’ve ordered several of exactly that from Dammann Freres. This was my first taste, and I’m pretty happy. I mostly taste a warm vanilla, and it’s somehow both obvious and subtle at the same time. It isn’t a fake or chemical-tasting vanilla, but a nice smooth addition to a smooth tea that I’m sure will be terrific iced as well.

I loved this one the first time I made it, and then the second time I just liked it. I think I need to figure out just how to prepare it, but it definitely has a lot of potential.

A note – it’s a vanilla and hazelnut black tea. The other day, I mixed my Notting Hill (Tea Palace’s vanilla black with some decorative flower petals) with Adagio’s black Hazelnut tea and it was very very yummy and very very vanilla and hazelnutty. This tea is nothing like that – it tasted much more subtle, but still sweet and lovely. And whereas I drank my mixed tea with milk and sugar, I drank Fleurilege plain and I get the feeling that’s the way it works best.

Must try it again before adding a rating.

I found myself scoping cadeau-deco-vendome ( A Dammann reseller) so I figured that this is as good a time as any to dig into the samples that Sil sent me.

This tea smells like butter, roasted hazelnuts and vanilla and has a light maple wood coloured broth after steeping at 1tsp/225ml/4min/95°C.

There is a lovely roasted hazelnut note with a touch of a wood in the flavouring, as well as a touch of butter caramel and a warm vanilla tone. The flavouring blends well with the base tea which is slightly fruity with a cocoa note and is relatively innocuous except for providing a light astringency and a medium body. The flavouring is light and subtle as is the tea itself.

Thanks for the treat Sil

TheTeaFairy

My experience with cadeau-vendome was so awful…brings back bad memories. Guess I was just unlucky though cause everyone on Steepster seems so happy with them.

yyz

Sorry about that was it the service or the tea?

TheTeaFairy

Both!!! The whole thing was surreal, really, maybe all their regular staff was on vacation or something and an unexperienced employee took care of my order. I know it’s overseas, but the box that it arrived in was so damaged, it was made of very thin cardboard and nearly got destroyed in transport. The tea was poorly packaged, not sealed, and not even labeled as Dammann Frères, so it could have been anything really. The worst was the smell: believe it or not, the tea was wrapped directly in smelly newspaper, the smell was so strong it took over the entire box! The tea not being sealed, it got compromised. They all tasted like cigarette ashes! I wrote them twice, they never answered back… I decided to let it go cause the whole thing made me too angry, didn’t want to think about it anymore, lol.

yyz

That’s awful. My experience was awful, but I have noticed that some of the less popular teas can taste a little weak. My experiences with them were good, but I did notice that in the shipping notice they say to refuse acceptance of the package if it appears damaged. Any ways my next French tea purchase is used to be Betjeman and Barton from fouvrac in Montreal, but I always get sidetracked by other things.

TheTeaFairy

B&B teas in Montreal? Do they sell online?

yyz

At the moment no. But they claim to carry the whole line and as a bonus I think you can order 50g. So, if your interested build an order from http://www.betjemanandbarton.com/fr/ and then you order over the phone at http://www.betjemanandbarton.com/en/content/9-world

If you have any questions first you can contact fouvrac through Facebook first https://m.facebook.com/lefouvrac?_rdr. They sell the teas at both locations.

Your welcome!

OMGsrsly

I’m guessing people at Fouvrac would speak some English? Because my spoken French is not good enough to place a tea order. I could email them in French, but…

yyz

They do. I wrote them on Facebook and they responded in English. As well, a member of Steepster, I think they were in California ordered this way with no problems a number of months ago.

TheTeaFairy

OMGsrsly, I’m pretty sure they do, I don’t know many merchants who don’t in Montreal, businesses are 99% at least bilingual. Sometimes, it’s even the other way around, they don’t speak French, lol.

OMGsrsly

Excellent. :) I’ll add them to my list. Did you get any info on shipping costs?

yyz

I haven’t placed my order yet. It cost $10.00 to ship 200g of tea for the US order. I was just told that shipping was reasonable when I mad my original enquiry.

OMGsrsly

Perfect! Thanks so much for enabling, yyz. :)