Fleurilège

Nuts, Vanilla
Edit tea info Last updated by Anna

2 Images

• “excuse me while i roll around in this one for a while. Oh man. This is a delicious vanilla and hazelnut tea! I'm not sure what i was expecting when i opened up this sample from dinosara but it...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4041 tasting notes
  • “It always amazes me when I have this tea. I ordered this tea because I thought it sounded reasonably tasty but I didn't have super high hopes. See, I haven't had the best luck with hazelnut teas...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 1851 tasting notes
  • “This tea just arrived with my order of 16 teas...yes I know 16 teas...:) I found a lovely website selling Dammann Frères teas by 50 g ! So I was able to order more teas for the same...” Read full tasting note
    Ysaurella 293 tasting notes
  • “This whole Dammann Frères experience is turning a little too existential and emotional. I just wanted to drink some _tea,_ okay? And now I'm forced to reminisce about my dead grandmother and maybe...” Read full tasting note
    clareborn 258 tasting notes

From Dammann Freres

Mix of China and Ceylon teas, vanilla and hazelnut aromas + sunflower petals.

Mélange de thés de Chine et de Ceylan, arômes vanille et noisette et enrichi de pétales d’hélianthe.

Temps d’infusion recommandé : de 4 à 5 minutes.

About Dammann Freres View company

excuse me while i roll around in this one for a while. Oh man. This is a delicious vanilla and hazelnut tea! I’m not sure what i was expecting when i opened up this sample from dinosara but it wasn’t something this deliciously wonderful! Seriously… oh yum.

Anna

Haha, I JUST drank this…

awesome :)

TastyBrew

Sounds amazing! Yum!!!!

Holy crap so many posts! Sorry about that. Wish I could delete them haha

hahaha too funny. I used to be able to delete people’s comments on my own posts, but now it looks like i can only delete my own. hmmm not that i’d delete yours ‘cause that’s just funny :)

What can I say, I guess I really love the tea. :D

It always amazes me when I have this tea. I ordered this tea because I thought it sounded reasonably tasty but I didn’t have super high hopes. See, I haven’t had the best luck with hazelnut teas for some reason. I think there’s something about hazelnuts themselves in tea that put me off at times.

Then I tried this tea and was blown away. Sweet, creamy and hazelnutty without whatever weirdness I didn’t like. I totally love this tea! Apparently all I need is some vanilla with my hazelnut to smooth it out, or something. And every time I come back to it I am reminded about how much I love it. Another essential tea for me!

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML
Dustin

Have you ever had the chocolate flavored hazelnut milk?! I think the brand is Pacific, it is often sold at health food type stores like Sprouts or Whole Foods in the same isle as soy/almond/coconut milk. Anyways, it is like drinking liquid Nutella! I am so in love with that stuff!

Dinosara

Can’t say I have! It does sound tasty.

This tea just arrived with my order of 16 teas…yes I know 16 teas…:)
I found a lovely website selling Dammann Frères teas by 50 g ! So I was able to order more teas for the same amount.

This one wasn’t in my wish list but I decided to take 100 g to reach 39 € to beneficiate of the free shipping.
This is a great surprise because I like it so much.
As usually the tea base is the same Ceylon +China and the aromas are vanilla and hazelnut.Really nice for breakfast.

So sweet, so mellow, so YUMMY without being exceptional…just YUMMY and that’s really nice enough to me.

Oh wow! 16 teas! I smaller quantities! Yay!

Ysaurella

yes :) the website is really cute and the service professional :http://www.instant-the.com/
most of the teas are Dammann Frères ones

That IS cute!

Hallieod

Nice website! It’s great that your first sampling was an unexpected hit!

Dinosara

Ooh, awesome about that website! I am still trying to decide what teas to buy when I visit Paris in July! Having to buy 100g makes it difficult to choose.

Ysaurella

@Dinosara : you may order from them during your visit in France (or before)and request a delivery to your hotel or place in Paris.It took 2 full working days to receive my parcel.

Ysaurella

@ Hallie : yes it decided to buy from this website because I loved the website design. and of course because I wanted to taste more Dammann Frères teas !

Dinosara

Aw, it looks like they don’t ship to North America. Darn!

Ysaurella

they can do but this is expensive, I asked them in the past for a person living in Canada. That’s why you may request them to deliver in Paris to the place you’re going to live during your visit.
But you can also find small tea shops inside Paris which sell Dammann teas by 50g. The only point is they often don’t have more than 15 teas from DF (because they sell as well other brands)

Dinosara

Ah yes, I see. Do you have any recommendations for shops in Paris that sell various French teas (including Dammann) by 50g?

Ysaurella

you have this one which has various tea brands : Compagnie coloniale, Dammann Frères and Kusmi teas :http://www.pagesjaunes.fr/pros/05368333?idContext=1405718383&portail=PJ#onglet-infos

Ysaurella

be careful it is closed on Sunday and monday :)

Ysaurella

if you want to taste japanese teas, Linfield teas (French Brand) or George Cannon teas (French as well) I highly recommend this shop :http://www.themerrymonk.fr/

Ysaurella

and there is a shop thé et chocolat where you can buy Mariage Frères ones by 50g BUT only during the week (not the week end) :http://dismoiou.fr/p/fra/paris/7AO5W1/the-et-chocolat
but teas are almost 15% more expensive than in a MF shop (where you can only buy by 100g)

Dinosara

Thanks for the recommendations! Hopefully I’ll be able to check some of them out! :)

cteresa

Funny that a tea called fleurilége is vanilla and hazelnut and not flowers! Glad it was a good surprise.

And this link list is going to be so useful to me! Thank you. Must bookmark.

Ysaurella

@ Teresa : there are some sunflowers in the blend :) but the tea name is clearly playing on words : fleurilège for florilège which means collection,anthology…

This whole Dammann Frères experience is turning a little too existential and emotional. I just wanted to drink some tea, okay? And now I’m forced to reminisce about my dead grandmother and maybe even reevaluate my whole outlook on black teas. I’m packing my trans-Atlantic suitcase right now; I don’t have time for these shenanigans!

But fine. My two top blacks are teas from Mariage Frères – they’re rich and luxurious and very flavourful. I love all those things. But they’re also fairly thick, almost a little muddy, and very dark, which pretty much sums up what I have a hard time handling when it comes to certain blacks.

Dammann’s black bases, on the other hand, leave the liquid a dark amber, and they’re very light and easily drunk. In this case, though, the flavour is a little too delicate to leave me entirely seduced. It’s quite smooth and elegant, but I think I’d like to try a somewhat longer steep to see if I can get some more flavour out of this.

[From my epic Instant-Thé order to Rome, October 2013.]

Dinosara

I usually go full boil on my Dammann black blends, and I never have any bitterness. I’d try it a bit hotter, too!

I served a bunch of teas today, & even managed a few sipdowns in the process, which I’ll report on later. For now, I’m back at Tony’s, working on a few teas I brought with me while he fixes dinner (He truly is the most wonderful man in the world). this tea is a tasty hazelnut & vanilla, from my *Sil*box.

I love the hazelnut in this and the base is really nice – you can’t really go wrong with Dammann. A piece of brioche with this would be heaven and very Proustian. I have a piece leftover in the kitchen – should I?

back with the brioche You know, looking at the ingredients it seems like my brioche has a bit of rum to it which makes a lot of sense. Brioche is not about straight sugar, it has a depth to it, just like maple syrup for example is not just a sweetener but its own particular woody, fabulous taste. Brioche is good at any time but I’m glad I paired it with this tea.

Now I need to find a rum-scented tea. I don’t like alcohol but I’m really curious about the combo. Done right, it could be really decadent. OR a maple syrup tea! Oh my god just the idea of this.

Another winner in my batch of samples from Ysaurella. Thank you again, dear :)

Dinosara

Glad to hear you liked it!

Ysaurella

it was a nice surprise as I bought this one in addition of my Instant-Thé order and I am really happy to have bought 100g.
Happy you liked it too.
You’re very welcome with the samples? It was my pleasure to share

Vanilla and hazelnut enhance the taste; sunflower petals mixed in amongst the dark brown twisted leaves enhance the visual impact. This is a very special tea which most tea guests will enjoy.

I’m not usually a huge fan of flavored teas. So it’s a bit of a mystery why I’ve ordered several of exactly that from Dammann Freres. This was my first taste, and I’m pretty happy. I mostly taste a warm vanilla, and it’s somehow both obvious and subtle at the same time. It isn’t a fake or chemical-tasting vanilla, but a nice smooth addition to a smooth tea that I’m sure will be terrific iced as well.

Thank you Sil for sharing some of this with me. As I drink it, I can’t help but feel like I have had this before despite never having this tea in my life. The black base is prominent and complimented by the nuttiness while the vanilla comes through in smell as opposed to the taste. Nonetheless, I can’t help but feel like I had this time and time again and for that reason it is not something I need to keep stocked. I am still grateful to have gotten to try it though.

Thank you, Anna, for the sample of this!

It brew into clear and ruby concoction that vaguely smells of vanilla as well as some non-describable fruit.

The base is supposed to be Ceylon and Chinese black tea(s) and I can mostly detect ceylon, although definitely toned down by the Chinese part. I really like the base this way.

When it comes to flavoring, I hardly detect any. I sure can taste vanilla, but it is very shy and hiding in the corner. I have to look for it. Hazelnut? Hmmm… perhaps. It could be even shyer than vanilla, probably to the point of paranoid kind of shy. But it’s there.

The flavors seem to come out of their corners a bit more once the brew cools down. And I greet them with an open palate.

Errr…

There’s something else I detect, too. Some fruitiness. Perhaps it is just maltiness. It’s like some sort of carmelized citrus with most of its citrusy notes seeped out and only sweetnes left. If that makes any sense?

This tea is very delicious, but it is definitely not for the impatient ones because the flavors are very subtle. In fact, if someone just served it to me and said it’s just a non-flavored morning blend, I would totally believ it. And I would still find it delicious.

There is also a possibility that I did not detect the flavors because I was just out for a smoke. I am a very occasional smoker, so it is unfortunate I decided to taste such a tea after just smoking a cigarrette. Oh well – that’s a lesson.