Saigon Chai (organic)

Black Chai Blend
Cardamom, Cinnamon, Cloves, Ginger, Indian Black Tea, Natural Flavours, Pink Peppercorn
Cinnamon, Peppercorn, Cardamon, Pepper, Ginger, Spicy, Cloves
Medium
Fair Trade, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

• “I know I go through this all the time, but I have found the Saigon Chai sweet spot! I had another 50 g tucked away somewhere and brewed a cup today. Only 2 or 3 minutes to steep and I shook out the...” Read full tasting note
    Uniquity 698 tasting notes
  • “This tea had an 'accident' this morning and ended up down the drain. The flavoring brings it over the top to that sickly sweet candy place. I infinitely prefer chai that relies on the spices...” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 1697 tasting notes
  • “Tea 7 in my chai quest. I was expecting this to be cinnamon heavy. I think Davids usually are. This one isn't really that bad, it's peppery and spicy - but not really as "chai" as I would like...” Read full tasting note
    Dexter 786 tasting notes
  • “This is one I've been wanting to try, so I grabbed it on my recent order. It's a decent chai, although not my favorite. It does remind me of fall, as most good chais do. And it's very...” Read full tasting note
    tea-slinger 576 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

It’s back!

In the 1950s, Saigon cinnamon was one of the finest spices on the market. But then came the Vietnam War, and exports ground to a halt. Half a century later, it’s finally comeback time. Prepare for dark, sweet perfection. This blend of Assam tea, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, cloves and pink peppercorns is on another level of delicious. Try it iced, Viet-style, with sweetened condensed milk. (MK Kosher)

Organic: Fair Trade Certified Assam black tea, Saigon cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, cloves, pink peppercorns. With organic and natural flavouring*.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Morning proTEAn latte with vanilla Promasil. Noms. Getting a very drying sensation in my mouth though, and I’m pretty sure it’s the tea, not the protein powder. Not my favourite chai, but it will do. (I actually don’t think I would drink this chai without some sort of sweetening, as I just don’t like it otherwise.)

Fjellrev

Nice idea! I’ve been meaning to mix my protein powder with cold brew. Hmm.

Kittenna

My trainer has some “birthday cake” flavoured protein powder and apparently it also makes great lattes. I had a Salted Caramel one a while ago and it was delicious. I feel like other latte + sweetening friendly teas would also work great. (I want to try this with my better chai, from Tea Desire, that I had half a kg and much preferred the flavour of.)

Fjellrev

I can see it being really good since a lot of people on My Fitness Pal like to put protein powder in their coffee. How much do you put ratio-wise? Like a couple tablespoons per cup of tea?

Kittenna

I put a half scoop in my DT Halloween mug (so, 12 oz. tea?). I’d try it to taste – too little and it’s oddly weak, too much and your tea will taste like protein powder (mine has a strong flavour, so I don’t want too much).

Kittenna

And, I believe a half scoop is around 1 tbsp.

Fjellrev

Ah yeah, that would make sense. I think one scoop on mine = ~30g.

Kittenna

I think that’s what mine is too. Seems fairly standard (I guess? I’m relatively new to this whole protein powder thing!)

Nothing like drinking Saigon Chai on a cold (-40C/-40F) winter day to warm up. I am able to detect the different spices of Saigon cinnamon and cardamom the most, followed by the ginger and cloves. I think I will need to crush the pink peppercorns to detect more of their flavour.

I find that on it’s own, the tea can be bitter if over steeped, but with a bit of soy milk and some honey or agave nectar, this tea shines. On the 2nd steeping, the tea has mellowed a bit more that I can have it without soy milk and only with honey/agave.

Flavors: Cinnamon, Cloves, Peppercorn

Again, I’m not normally a chai drinker, but I tried this one on a whim today… and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised! I think the addition of the peppercorns and the specific type of cinnamon gave this one a different flavour than what I was expecting.

Note: I usually am a fan of the floral/fruity teas, and am a verifiable tea noob. So take my reviews with a grain of salt (or a slice of lemon)
This is my first DavidsTea chai.
This tea is spicy and savoury, almost to the point where it seems like soup to me. There is no strong black tea note that I can discern.
Will not repurchase

This is by far my favourite chai, the little bit of extra cinnamon taste and the slight spicy tones in it really make all the difference. I love pairing this with some hummus and crackers.

Saigon Chai is very good, however it does not have that intense chai flavor that I was hoping for. This makes it have a kind if “empty taste.” The lady in the store told me that this is Oprah Winfrey’s favorite tea!

This is a delightful Chai. I like the smell of it more than the taste, but the taste is very balanced. It is not too sweet or spicy. Some Chai blends have a Big Red taste, but this one is nice. It holds up well to long infusions, which means I can put it in my thermos and drink it all day.

190 °F / 87 °C 8 min or more

This chai has an intoxicating spicy-sweet smell, with peppercorns and a good mix of spices. It brews up a pretty good chai. I wouldn’t say it blows away other chais I’ve had, but it holds its own. Salesperson claimed it was “Oprah’s favorite.” :-D

Okay, so I love chai. All of them. I’ve had chai hand-made over a stove by people’s grandmothers. I never have high hopes for Western companies’ chai. And this is really really good chai, maybe the best I’ve had commercially. The cardamom makes this one for me, and even though I love vanilla chais I really appreciate the lack of sweetness when brewed straight. Quick hint: the pieces in DAVIDsTEAs are usually too big so I roll my rolling pin over them a few times to break them up, and it makes this tea spectacular. It is also fabulous as rec’d on the package, iced with sweetened condensed milk.

God, I love cardamom.