Spiced Fig

Fruit Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by DAVIDsTEA

From DAVIDsTEA

What’s the fig idea?

Let’s face it. Figgy Pudding is a holiday must-have. In fact, the tradition goes way back to medieval England, and in 1714, pudding enthusiast King George insisted on a plum pudding at his royal holiday feast. Our version combines cranberries, almonds, dates, cloves and big, luscious pieces of fig for a holiday treat that’s pure satisfaction at next to no calories. Try it hot with a splash of brandy and a cinnamon stick.

Ingredients: Apples, cranberries, black mission figs, calimyrna figs, dates, almonds, rose hips, cloves, natural vanilla flavouring

About DAVIDsTEA View company

This is my current favorite from the Winter Collection. All the comments about it being a really heavy tea that you don’t get a whole lot of “bang for your buck” with are accurate. In the 25g pouch I got from DAVIDsTEA, there’s enough for maybe three cups of tea.

The taste of the brewed tea is all apple cider spices. I can’t taste any fruit in this, but the spices are nicely blended and not overwhelming. I can see this being great blended with a tea with a stronger apple taste.

Resteep — 8 minutes, boiling water, 4tsp per 16oz: This resteeps really nicely! The spicy flavor didn’t degrade at all and it’s still nicely balanced. Yum!

I picked up about 15g of this while I was in today. I smelled this one last week when I stopped by and was immediately intrigued by the smell. The smell is a mixture of sweet and spicy notes while the favour, in my opinion tends to favour the sweet notes (especially in the last few sips!) I found that the dates really came through and I think that that’s where the sweetness comes from. I did enjoy the flavours but found myself disappointed that a 15g pouch was barely enough to make 2 mild cups! The tea is mostly made up of dried fruit as well which doesn’t tend to make a good second brew. I am glad that I tried this and really did enjoy it but like the gingerbread, I really cannot say I would rush out to buy it or even be disappointed to not see it return next year.

Today I went out and purchased both this, and the new Gingerbread holiday tea. Because of the amazing smell of this, I choose to give it a shot first.
I purchased 25 grams, and I feel like I had to use half for just one cup! This seems a little excessive to me. I know it is because the fruits are very heavy, but doesn’t seem worth it.
The taste did little to redeem it. At first the taste was very watery. However afterwards, the cloves and fruity flavors did come out as it cooled. I don’t know….I have mixed feelings. I am a huge fan of cloves and it was quite yum as it cooled off, but I think the overall flavour was too weak to be worth the price of this. I am pretty sure I won’t be getting any more. Oh well!

I have to admit, this tea is quite the letdown for me. I have given it three shots. Once with a sample pack that, scarily, did not even provide enough tea to make a decent cup, and twice with the tea I bought to give it a fair shot. The taste is not unpleasant, I like figs, I love cloves and spices with apple. In fact, if it were solely a question of taste, this tea might be alright. But… This tea is so incredibly heavy, I found it heavier than Merry Cranberry and that is saying something!! Also, it is just plain a weak flavour. My best shot with this tea was when I dropped it in my tea traveller and just let it steep for hours while the water cooled. This is such a disappointment. I love the flavour, but I can’t get this to brew a decent cup without so much babying that I have other flavours that I would go for first. If someone has a way, other than steeping for hours, to get flavour out of this tea, I would love to hear it! Otherwise, this is one I will get through my batch of but I won’t be stocking up on it. Too bad, because I was so excited for it!!

I’m clearly in the minority here, but I ADORE this tea. Top 5 favourite, ever. It tastes like the holidays—like drinking a clove orange! The natural sweentess is great, and I actually found it did really well on a second steep. The only down side, as others have mentioned, is how heavy it is— I got a 25g bag, and I got about 2 or 3 cups out of it! This makes it pretty darn pricey.

Got this as a sample. Due to the weight of this tea and the amount of water I used to brew…. I could barely taste a thing

I love the taste of this tea, the cinnamon and figs reminds me of a cross between apple cider and spice cake, but as other reviewers have noted, it is much too expensive to buy more of since it is so heavy and the pieces of fruit are so large. If you like this tea, I would recommend trying David’s Sugar and Spice, which is similar, but not as heavy, so more economical.

Day 18 of my do-it-yourself scavenger hunt advent calendar!

Well…I’m glad I only have to suffer through 2 cups worth of this one. Sorry, DO NOT like it at all. I used a heaping scoop to make my cup, and still got barely any flavour. Tasted almost like sugar, bread, and cloves. Don’t ask me how I managed to get that combination, but…yuck. I didn’t taste any fig, but maybe that was the “bread” flavour. Whatever was giving it that flavour, it wasn’t pleasant. As the cup cools it doesn’t get any better.

It’s a shame that this one is so heavy. The sample I got in my calendar was probably quite a bit of money compared to all of the others for the equivalent of the same number of cups of tea. And for it to be gross? Too bad.

Verdict: won’t buy if you hold a gun to my head.

I had this last night, 4 teaspoons in 16 ounces of water, and it was too strong for me. The blend I got into my Brewt, which I have determined is way better than the steeper basket that came with my Nordic Mug, probably contained way too many figs. ‘Too figgy’ was what my husband proclaimed. It really turned me off of this tea. Tea brewing is so moody! It kind of turned me off of the tea really. Blah to that.