Hot Tropic

Fruit Herbal Blend
Chocolate, Coconut, Pineapple, Tangy, Fruity, Apple, Cinnamon, Mango
Edit tea info Last updated by Courtney

From DAVIDsTEA

Calling all beach bunnies…you are going to flip out over this tea. It’s amost excellent blend of tropical fruit, coconut and spices. It’s sweet and mega creamy, just like a totally primo piña colada. And if you really want to get amped, try freezing it into ice cubes and putting them in your blender with agave and a little coconut milk. It’s, like, off the wall. Take it from the big kahuna: this is one wave you definitely want to ride. Toes on the nose, dudes!

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Chocolate?! So weird.
I guess someone tasted that somehow??

I cold brewed this and when I drank it I got nothing but piña colada. I’m being truthful. Maybe some spices to give it a bit of richness and a little kick.

My all time favorite tea to cold brew is Davidstea’s Tropicalia, and I’m guessing they came out with this one for 2014 instead of bringing back Tropicalia, like they should have.

But since they didn’t, this one will have to do.

As far as a piña colada iced tea, this one is yummy.
I will buy some more to have for the rest of the summer!

Roswell Strange

According to DT’s ingredients list on their website, there’s no chocolate in this? I agree with you about Tropicalia, though.

whatshesaid

Oh thank god, I thought for sure I had lost it. It says chocolate at the top of the page, I guess someone else added that?? Weird!

Roswell Strange

Ah yeah, I just looked at the tea page. It’s one of the listed flavours which just means someone else tasted that when they prepared it. In theory the flavours could list Sunscreen if someone tasted that (it’s an option in the flavors list). But yeah, that would be a weird ingredient – and I’d feel silly too given I didn’t notice chocolate either when I had this one ;)

Sipdown (149/156)!

Thank you VariaTEA for the sample. I likely would have been too stubborn to go and get some for myself otherwise (it’s the raisins, man!). What’d I do without you?

I’m only somewhat regretting cold brewing it all while I was sick: it was a little hard to get any nuances it may have had while I was heavily medicated at work today. What I did pick up on what some serious creamy vanilla coconut notes and buttery, tropical feeling apple/mango notes. And is there seriously no pineapple in this!? How can you market it as a “Pina Colada” tea when there’s no pineapple? That seems really, really wrong to me.

But it was good. I may need to pick up a small sample again some time when I’m not sick so I can get a proper taste of it, because I feel like I missed out on things I should have picked up, like cinnamon or star anise.

Reserving my rating until I’ve tried it not sick. Pretty sure I still like Tropicalia a lot more though…

VariaTEA

I was worried about the raisins but thought they weren’t too present thus figured it was worth sending you a small sample to force you to try it out :P

Too many flavours for my liking. Dilute tartness. Reminds me a bit of hibiscus.

Boiling 6 min, 0 sec 5 tsp 13 OZ / 375 ML

This tea was super delicious. I went to the store and had it iced. The coconut and chocolate flavors were so yummy. Something was a little bitter which I did not care for, but I did not want to sweeten it since I had a bad experience with too much agave in the past (see Midsummer’s Night Dream). Next time I may add a sprinkle of Splenda but I am looking forward to drinking this again. Or another coconut chocolate tea, like Chocolate Macaroon! That tea is sooooo on my wishlist.

Flavors: Chocolate, Coconut

So… uh… I drank a whole 50g of this before I even got around to logging it. Darn you, Sil, for suggesting this! It’s excellent, I do love it, and now I have to get more. The empty bag is calling to me, and it’s all I can think of. Darn it!

Flavors: Coconut, Pineapple

Hahahaha that’s even funnier to me because I’m so not a fan of a David’s tea….but this one was tasty :)

Maybe I should give this another chance…it smelled so delicious in the canister and I so wanted to like it, but all I tasted was tangy fruit with coconut notes, which left me really disappointed. I had this hot, which may have been the difference…or I may be growing an aversion to pineapple…

Flavors: Tangy

Hey new best friend tea, what’s goin’ on?
But for reals, I love this tea. Since I’m moving soon, I’m really not allowed to get more tea… and low and behold… more tea… BUT this one is so good! I couldn’t help myself. It just is the best thing ever ever ever.

I should note that I was never a huge fan of Tropicalia. Sure, it was okay. But it definitely was not one of my favourites.

So what is it about this blend? For me, I have to imagine it is the combination of vanilla and star anise added to it to give it a prominent base (which I also imagine is what makes it taste great hot or iced). Another one of my favourite DT blends (R.I.P.) is Ceylon Star, so I do love that star anise!

It’s nice to have a permanent pineapple tea at DT that isn’t pineapple oolong either. YAY!!

This tastes like a pina colada with a kick. LOVE that David’s did another blend with pineapple. This one is definitely a winner!

soooo being the NOT fan of David’s tea that many of you know that i am. Guess what? What this one is pretty tasty hot….as a cold brew i am MUCH happier. maybe it’s just the sick talking but this is really refreshing tonight. the only thing that could make this even more amazing would be the addition of rum… cough now i haven’t gone and figured out how much stupid sugar or other random crap in here that i will grumble about..because i’m just trying to enjoy this…i’ll look at that later…but IF there isn’t any…i COULD consider stocking this for the summer. shhhhh….

Final Count: 231

Iced 8 min or more

Another new tea that I picked up today! I was excited to try this as Tropicalia was good last year but a bit watery in the coconut aspect. Excited to be trying a similar yet different tea to that one!

This smelled so coconutty and like Tropicalia dry. I steeped it for 5 minutes, trying it hot first, and the liquor is a light, slightly cloudy golden yellow. Smells tropical and coconut!

This is another win from DavidsTea! The coconut is rich and thick here, the vanilla might be helping bring out that aspect. It’s not too sweet but has a rather tangy flavor to it, fruity, not overly identifiable, but a fruit tang. Probably the mango, although I don’t get an overly recognizable mango note. I’m not sure if the other ingredients add much in the terms of individual flavors when brewed hot, but they are probably helping the overall blend taste as yummy as it does!

Overall, this is a great success hot. Lots of coconut and fruity tang, I think I prefer this to Tropicalia, although I had that tea wayy back last year haha, but I didn’t re-stock and hoard it so it can’t have been amazing. I am excited to try this cold, and the coconut is rich enough that it might make some nice summery cocktails and not be too weak of a base. A tasty coconut tea that definitely screams SUMMER! Now if only the weather would fully cooperate here and get above 20 degrees!

Flavors: Coconut, Fruity, Tangy