Nahorhabi Full Leaf Assam

Edit tea info Last updated by Nicole

• “I added this one as a different tea since the other full leaf Nahorhabi said 2010 on it and the notes were all from a year ago. I believe this is the batch for this year based on Harney listing it...” Read full tasting note
    nburriss 510 tasting notes
  • “First time I tried it several months ago i over-steeped it. At 4 min this tea became bitter and i disliked it immediately. didnt want to try again until last night I was reading Nicole's review...” Read full tasting note
    boychik 305 tasting notes
  • “Thanks very much *boychik* This is SUPER BOLD! Quite delicious too. Not the sort of thing I'd reach for every day but it is hitting the spot this morning :)” Read full tasting note
    paradigmamnesia 834 tasting notes
  • “This bright, brisk and elegant tea was my morning cup today. It is a really beautiful tea to look at with a generous scattering of golden cooper downy tips among its dark brown leaves. The tea...” Read full tasting note
    yyz 341 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

A great tippy Assam from the Jayshree group. The full leaf version is lighter in the cup and sweeter .

About Harney & Sons View company

I added this one as a different tea since the other full leaf Nahorhabi said 2010 on it and the notes were all from a year ago. I believe this is the batch for this year based on Harney listing it with their new teas about a month ago or so.

This was deep, rich and malty to the extreme. So malty I felt a bit furtive while drinking it at work. Almost like I had a no-no beverage in the workplace! As it cooled, a buttery texture infiltrated the cup and made it even better. The only downside to this was that the second cup was not as punchy.

This is a sample that will pay off. I can justify the price of this one. :) Next time they do $25 free shipping and I haven’t just placed 2 other orders…a tin of this one will be mine. Oh, yes. It will be mine.

July, we are totally doing a swap…if i have to go buy teas to find new things you haven’t tried! lol I feel like you just might be at least a half tea sister to terri and i grin

Nicole

Girl, you have rated like 4 times the teas I have. I’m pretty sure you have things that are new to me. :) I’d hate to be the reason anyone buys new tea… /snort. :) I have a pile set aside to make sure I have to send you. July it is!

YAY! yeah..uh that would be totally terrible to uh have to uh by teas so share with you…uh yeah… grin

First time I tried it several months ago i over-steeped it. At 4 min this tea became bitter and i disliked it immediately. didnt want to try again until last night I was reading Nicole’s review Golden Tip Assam by Gong Fu Tea Shop which inspired me to try again. This time I steeped it only for 3min. 1/2 of a brew I made with whole milk(didnt have a cream) and 1tsp of maple syrup . Another half was plain. This tea is amazing both ways. Milk+ syrup is like creme brulee , so rich and satisfying. Plain is very malty, thick, muscatel flavors. the smell is intoxicating. Who needs a dessert after such cup of tea? not me;)

Nicole

This was one that I just stocked up on. :)

JustJames

what an elegant conclusion…. ‘who needs dessert after such a cup of tea? not me.’

boychik

Thank you, James . I’m trying hard. That cup of tea was so good that I felt this is it. I think every time I have cravings for sweets I should fix myself something like this

JustJames

that’s what i do! must say i’m quite pleased to wear my dressier shirts now! i’m way more toned… i don’t even crave it anymore. (hard to believe but true). i won a chocolate bar in class today i handed it over to my friends =0)

your writing has gotten so fancy my friend!

boychik

Well I’m still a sucker for dark chocolate, but small piece is enough . Now when I drink tea I don’t eat any pastry or chocolate because I want to notice different flavors. Regarding my writing I just like to read good reviews and kind of pick up good choice of words. Not that I’m copying but kind of getting inspired. I really like to read your reviews and I can see whether you like it or not by the tone of your writing. Writing is fun . Btw my daughter wants to apply to one specialized school and her talent is creative writing. She will have her tests in January.

JustJames

that’s so exciting! you’ll have to let us know how it goes! it’s hard not to be inspired with so many people captured by the skill sets of master alchemists… =0) we’re all a passionate bunch i think, no?

pyarkaaloo

wow! had added this to my wishlist at H&S, then decided to check steepster for reviews…this sounds outrageous, prepared both ways as per your instructions. although i definitely have to try it creme brulee style!

boychik

I need to restock it. Maybe 2 steeps left. Still love it, so rich. I had it today for breakfast without any additions. Divine…

Thanks very much boychik

This is SUPER BOLD! Quite delicious too. Not the sort of thing I’d reach for every day but it is hitting the spot this morning :)

boychik

You are welcome. I have to ask hubby bring this baby to me. Left it at home:(

This bright, brisk and elegant tea was my morning cup today. It is a really beautiful tea to look at with a generous scattering of golden cooper downy tips among its dark brown leaves. The tea itself has a nice deep orange red colour after 1tsp was left for a 3 min steep in 225 ml at about 95°C.

This is not a particularly sweet Assam, though it does have some nice bright red fruit and citrus tones in its scent and in its flavour when hot. Also present in the scent were nutmeg and cinnamon, the upper tones fmalt, a hint of biscuit and a very faint note of molasses.

The fruity tones were really only strongly apparent in the hot tea and mixed with malt, nutmeg, cinnamon, the lower tones of malt and a touch of cocoa. It felt light and bright on the tongue, with tannins counterbalancing this by providing a little density in the mouth. As it cools a floral tone mixes with the spice and creates a spicy floral tone like gardenia that mixes with a woody sandalwood like tone. The floral tone keeps the sandalwood from tasting warm and heavy. The tea although tasting a little drier, remains bright and light and a little brisk. These tones come to completely dominate the fruit as it cools. The aftertaste is of spice with the deeper tones of malt. A mild sweetness is provided by the fruit.

The tea resteeps really well with the spice and deeper malt tones intensifying.

Altogether a really nice Assam,with a nice number of subtleties to keep it interesting!

Thanks boychik, this tea has many of the aspects I appreciate in my favourite assam. It is only a little lighter, not as sweet, and the floral spice note is stronger than my favourite. Thanks for sharing this special tea with me.

TeaTiff

This has become a great morning cup for me. From your note I am curious as to what your favorite is?

yyz

Borsapori Assam from Capital tea Ltd.

It’s almost always in my cupboard if you would like to try some! Capital Tea also has 20g sample sizes.

boychik

I have to revisit Borsapori (ifjuly sent me a sample). Steepster is crazy today. I keep sending notes into the space :(((

yyz

I know, it won’t let me post this reply and I wasn’t sure if it captured my original note!

yyz

Edited this to get rid of all the repeat postings.

T&C TTB Tea # 11 – Backlog May 25

Brewed this up for breakfast, added milk. It stood up nicely!

Very dark and bold, which I love. Somewhat malty. Slightly astringent but I may have oversteeped because I didn’t think to check the steeping recommendations ahead of time.

It was a good ‘first thing in the morning’ tea.
I didn’t really get any specific flavours out of it, I guess a straight black tea really has to slap me in the face with taste if you want me to notice anything spectacular.

I did enjoy my cup. It’s probably what I’d expect an Assam to be and I’d like to try some more from Harney at some point! I’m realizing their straight teas are pretty darn good.

boychik

3 min top for me. It’s my favorite. I recently tried Viennese EG ( I don’t know if you like EG) and Eight at fort. Those two I’m going to get 2oz each. Very smooth and rich, not astringent.

boychik sent this one my way and i’m not yet sure how i feel about it. I think this is on the upside of tasty, though there’s a note there that i don’t like as much. i, sadly had this really early this morning and don’t recall much beyond that :) appreicate the share though boychik as it’s given me more to think about in terms of H&S blacks.

I received a sample of this from Nicole this weekend and this tea barely survived long enough for me to write about it. I was asking her about her favorite Assam’s and she mentioned this tea.

This is malty sweet deliciousness in a cup. There is a nice fruity finish to this one. I have been really enjoying this one at work. It is also one I was able to resteep quite a bit. The website says there are only 12 tins left and I am now holding quite a long list of Harney teas I would like to purchase. Maybe maybe I can justify it now? Thank you for sharing this one with me Nicole.

3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
boychik

This one is my favorite Assam. In fact I’m sipping it right now. I got 2 tins. I share it win everybody.

I should have been paying more attention…. I set my tea timer and then got caught up in reading reviews of this tea…and didn’t hear the timer go off! I ordered a sample of this from Harney, so I have one more cup to do this right. For this steep, all I’ll say is that it’s a bit on the astringent side, but with milk and sugar it is a good honest cup of Assam. Nice and malty, and gone from my cup rather quickly!

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML

Breakfast tea of the day, courtesy boychik! Touched because apparently it may not get restocked at all this year, but she still sent me some anyway (she even weighed the bag for me!). People are wonderful.

This is rather unlike any other Assam I’ve had. The steeping aroma smells like rum or perhaps brandy to me, or like hot raisins that have been plumped with said spirits and burst with steam and sticky sugar-liquor. There is the deep, earthy, rasping wood that borders on too bitter that I associate with Indian teas (others describe it as that “powdery” mouth-drying astringency) and love (that kind of bitterness I enjoy!). It kind of evokes bittersweet chocolate. I can see how this would be a champ at taking milk and/or sugar, but I’m loving it plain right now. I like how deep and complex and serious it is. I’m tempted to say it’s one of my favorite Assams now…it has the murky depth I love in my favorite Capital Tea Ltd. Assams, less sweetness (which to me is not a bad thing, especially in the morning). I like it more than many of the Steepster faves I tried throughout last year like Tiger Assam and SST 49. The flavors are so deep but it manages to stay drinkable (for me, I couldn’t detect/appreciate the ones in Tiger Assam, too faint and smoothed out to me, and SST 49 doesn’t achieve enough complexity before it edges into undrinkably strong and unpleasant territory). And Nicole’s right; this is one of the few teas I’ve had where the aspect of bitter tang from ferment-y fizzy liquor is so strong I feel vaguely like I’m drinking beer for breakfast. Might sound gross or off-putting to some but I find it delicious.

Now I am pining for more much like boychik. This is going on my “stock this if you ever get a chance” list. I wouldn’t recommend it to someone who prefers the relative softness and sweetness of Chinese black teas over the briskness and woody astringency of Indian or Ceylon legacy teas, but if you like the latter but find many lack complexity or feel a little wan, disappointingly thin, this is one to try!

boychik

I’m so happy you like it. At some point I was thinking maybe its my crazy taste buds dont appreciate SST49 or Tiger Assam enough. I’m glad we are on the same page. with Assam I need it to be strong, complex, not flat and ability to drink it without milk or sugar. This one is magic with milk and sugar too. if they ever restock…I made another call. the lady said they may get it close to June, but it will be another crop. who knows if it will be same good.

ifjuly

yeah, i smiled when i realized i felt exactly how you do about the assams in general drinking this! i know what you mean. i chalk it up for me to drinking them when i was a lot younger, just ho-hum supermarket brands, and that meaning i didn’t go into it wanting the usual smoothness/flatness and sweetness; for that tea type i want something that evokes nostalgia but is also a step up in complexity. and this definitely delivers! thanks so much for sharing it with me. going to cross my fingers they make it available somehow…

i’ll have to keep my eye out for this one

ifjuly

i’m not sure you’d like it, Sil…i could be remembering wrong but you don’t care much for darjeeling, right? and it’s because of the woody astringency? if so, this might be risky for you—it’s definitely got that woody astringency as a very upfront component. just a heads up.

its baaaaccckkkk!!!!!!

ifjuly

i’m drinking some as we speak! delicious. can’t thank you enough for tipping me off to it; it’s become a morning staple. :D

boychik

i just ordered a couple tins:)

ifjuly… but i like trying teas…and that makes my happy. :)

(appreciate the heads up though…)

boychik

Sil, do you want a sample of it?

is it bad that right now i’m going YES! no! YES! NO! yes NO! lol my poor cupboard. lol I really do appreciate the offer but i am so crazy insanely busy lately i wouldn’t be able to return the favour in any sort of speed. Thanks a ton though for the offer!