Lychee

Lychee
Edit tea info Last updated by Alphakitty

• “Really? First to log this? That's weird. Anyways, this was part of Sil's and my shared Lupicia Happy Bag, 2012. I'm not overly fond of lychee-flavoured teas, as I think they tend towards the...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2221 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown! Not a fan of this one. I prefer the limited edition blend lupicia pulled together that tastes like lychee. that one is delicious and juicy. this one? it's just not a good time. I'm...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4034 tasting notes
  • “I got some of this ages ago in a swap with *Becky*, but have yet to try it for some reason. I love lychee, I usually enjoy Lupicia's teas (and some of my faves are Lupicia), so it should be...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 1850 tasting notes
  • “*Tea #32 from HHTTB2* I find that lychee leans too delicate a flavor to really pair with a base like this, and tend to prefer it in oolongs and greens. While this still isn't my favorite lychee...” Read full tasting note
    moraiwe 596 tasting notes

From Lupicia

Keemun black tea flavored with lychee to add an exotic flavor.

About Lupicia View company

Really? First to log this? That’s weird.

Anyways, this was part of Sil’s and my shared Lupicia Happy Bag, 2012. I’m not overly fond of lychee-flavoured teas, as I think they tend towards the overly floral side (yes, I know lychees are floral, but eating the fruit is different from tasting it in tea!) Anyways, this one smells delightfully like lychee, but not too floral, which is good. And the flavour? Actually pretty decent. I’m getting a moderate lychee flavour overtop of the black tea base, which is not astringent at all. More juicy than floral, which would be my preference. Really, as far as lychee teas go, this is pretty good. The only weird thing is that once the lychee flavour fades and I can taste the black tea, I get a bit of a rotted garbage sort of flavour lingering in my mouth. However, this may just be an artifact of residual Honey/Caramel Orzo tea in my mouth as well, because it’s not noticeable until the end. Also, sickness, so who really knows. So for now, rating does not reflect that off-flavour, because I’m not totally convinced that it’s real. Sil obviously has some of this too, so I’m sure she can verify this one way or the other at some point!

ETA: Nope, no off-flavour when my mouth isn’t contaminated. Actually, it’s kind of tasty and fruity :)

ETA again: Didn’t care for the re-steep and dumped it.

yeah your glowing review, complete with rotting garbage references REALLY makes me want to dig this out and try it. lol

Kittenna

I’m pretty sure that it’s just a strange-combo-of-flavours-in-mouth thing :P That orzo tea is strong, and lingers.

Kashyap

the best lychee flavored anything I have ever had was the lychee oolong from naivetea and it was so amazing I bought a pound and spent time coming up with recipes for it, including poached pears, simple syrup, and sorbet. I found out that the way the scent and flavor teas is vastly different from others and happens while the tea is undergoing transformation into an oolong and its not a post ‘production’ flavoring, so the naturalistic and balanced flavor is captured…I would recommend them highly

Dinosara

I’ve had some of this for a while but haven’t gotten around to it (mostly because I have a lot of it and it’s not sipdownable :P). But I love lychee congou so I am looking forward to it.

Sipdown! Not a fan of this one. I prefer the limited edition blend lupicia pulled together that tastes like lychee. that one is delicious and juicy. this one? it’s just not a good time. I’m not a fan of the base and the flavouring seems off.

I got some of this ages ago in a swap with Becky, but have yet to try it for some reason. I love lychee, I usually enjoy Lupicia’s teas (and some of my faves are Lupicia), so it should be perfect, right?

I adore Lupicia’s keemun base that they use for their Earl Grey tea, and I’ve had good experiences with a few of their other black bases (but not all of them). This is also a keemun, but it seems to be a different keemun, or it is reacting with the flavoring differently. I don’t get any smokiness in the Earl Grey, but this one most definitely has that characteristic keemun smoke. It happens to be a flavor I do not like all that much.

The lychee in this is quite lovely; juicy, sweet, both citrusy and floral. It really reminds me of eating a lychee. It’s too bad that I just really don’t like this keemun base. I left it for a while and took a sip when it was cold, and the smokiness was even worse. I will try cold brewing it but I am afraid that this might be a tea that I just will have to swap away.

Tea #32 from HHTTB2

I find that lychee leans too delicate a flavor to really pair with a base like this, and tend to prefer it in oolongs and greens. While this still isn’t my favorite lychee tea, I was pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed this.

I was a little wary of the Keemun base paired with this, but I didn’t get any smoke flavor from it. And the flavor, too, was more balanced than the steeped aroma let on, and actually became more and more fruity as the tea cooled. The lychee flavor is very good. Juicy, sweet, floral, with just the right amount of fruity citrus. The aftertaste definitely leans on the floral side of things, though.

Here’s Hoping Traveling Tea Box

I’m glad I grabbed a couple of servings of this one. The black base is unobtrusive, and the Lychee flavor is natural and delicious. This would be wonderful iced!

Tea #37 from the Here’s Hoping TTB

I’ve only recently discovered lychee tea, in the last TTB I was apart of. While I enjoyed it, I didn’t care for this one. I’m not a fan of the Keemun base, the smokey flavor covers up them more delicate lychee flavor. I think I would prefer this much more with an oolong base, the floral notes seem to pair better together.

So this tea is another one from the Great Canadian Travelling Tea Box (pt.1) .
I had this lovely tea on two occasions, October 6th and March 3rd.

Dry Leaf: The tea leaves are black and have a sweet scent, which is fruity and sugary.
Steeped: The color of the water is a dark amber and has a sweet & musky-like smell. The tea itself has a full body with subtle sweetness. The taste is both good and harmonious.

Brought this one to school in my travel tumbler today. I kind of neglected it while running to class and steeped it longer than I would’ve liked. It kind of turned out to be a happy accident, though, because it brought out some more rich black tea flavors without getting bitter. The lychee flavor was more subtle than the last time I had this tea. I also detected a bit of cinnamon at the end of the sip, but that may have been contamination from the last tea I had in my tumbler. Second steep, I pulled the leaves out before the liquid got too dark. This really let the lychee flavor come out more prominently against the black base. It may also be because it was a resteep? Anyway, it was interesting to experiment with and a really nice tea for a four hour block of lectures.

I do love lychees but all the lychee teas I had before never did much for me.

This one is just as tedious, although perhaps better quality, than the ones I had in the past.

I don’t know much about Keemuns, I don’t think I have ever had any straight, so i won’t be able to judge the base properly. The whole brew seems a little weak. The aroma is definitely lychee-ous, but as I taste it, the lychee element seems harder and harder to pinpoint… I do not know where it ends and where the base starts.

It’s an okay tea, but nothing that I would be interested in re-purchasing. I predict I will probably swap the hell out of it, too. Perhaps there’s people out there who would enjoy it more.

Boiling 2 min, 45 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Anna

I’m not into Lupicia’s black teas very much (the one huge exception being Cookie). I am also not a huge fan of lychee. Lupicia’s Lychee Oolong, though, is pretty exceptional for a lychee tea. Overall, I love their greens, but it’s their flavoured oolongs that really, really set them apart.

Kat_Maria

I must really place a proper order with them one of these days. So far all I have is this Happy Bag stuff and it’s a lot like a hit-and-miss thing.

I will make sure that, once I place the order, I remember about the flavored oolongs. Especially that I am not really a fan of them (I love straight oolongs, though) – perhaps Lupicia could change that!

Anna

I already packed up your samples (so much tape), otherwise I would have added some. Next time!

Kat_Maria

Awww, don’t worry! Don’t let me be too spoiled!

I am preparing your samples tonight and I am going to send it tomorrow before work. Hopefully it won’t take ages to reach you. I still am not sure which address I should send it to, and if sending it First-class Mail is a good idea (that is, if it doesn’t mean there’s a huge chance it will get lost). Have you received packages sent First-class Mail before, was the experience terrifying? ;D

Kat_Maria

Also, I apologize in advance for my sample baggies – they are going to be sandwich sized, perhaps snack sized if I find them anywhere in the house (probably not). I ordered small, neat ones from Collecting Warehouse on Amazon but I haven’t received them yet.

Anna

In my experience mail barely ever gets lost unless it’s something that is either irreplaceable or something you need, like, RIGHT NOW – I’d say tea samples are neither, so we should be good. =) If Sweden and Italy are the same cost, go with Sweden – less potential customs hassle.

…and I love that you ordered from CW!

Okay, I will go with Sweden then! :D

Yeah, I can’t wait to get a 1000 of lil’ baggies! I wonder how many swaps that will last me for.

Anna

Somewhere between 80 and 100, is my guess.

Kat_Maria

Sounds like a lifetime of swaps… And something about that makes me giddy :D

Keemun black tea flavored with lychee to add an exotic flavor.

195 °F / 90 °C 3 min, 0 sec 3 g 5 OZ / 150 ML