Lychee (Lichee) Oolong

Oolong Tea
Lychee
Edit tea info Last updated by Jenny

From Lupicia

Shuixian oolong tea from Fujian, China is flavored with lychee which was said to be Yang-Kuei-fei’s favorite fruit. Its characteristic sweet scent will further bring out the sweetness of tea leaves.

About Lupicia View company

Lychee isn’t really my thing – except for that lychee martini at Doraku, but even then I can only have one. But when it comes to tea, things can really go either way, so I decided to attempt some lychee oolongs. This one from Lupicia is exactly as expected in the bag – a dirty-ripe, lush oolong boozefest with a surprisingly round lychee note to top it off.

In the cup, the scent mellows significantly, and the flavour is smooth, but with all the complexity of a good Lupicia oolong. Predictably, I want to try this one iced.

I have a strong suspicion lychee tea will grow on me and that I’ll get cravings for this at the weirdest moments – that’s usually the case when I’m this conflicted about a flavour type. I used to think it was a mere-exposure effect thing, but now it seems to land closer to the realm of acquired taste; you know, you try something, and it’s just so weird, and then you get these flashbacks and think, ‘Oh, I should maybe try that really weird thing again.’ (I’m sure that’s what happened to my poor husband when we first started going out.)

Either way, I’m so happy about Lupicia. If I had to choose one tea company to provide all my teas, I’d choose them in an instant. Their quality is so consistent and I feel I can really rely on that – I’m pretty sure I could walk into a Lupicia store, pick any tin blindly, and I’d enjoy my cup.

Oh, and this lychee sip aftertaste is just too good. Too good.

[From my Lupicia spree at Westfield Valley Fair in Santa Clara, October 2013.]

Rounds 2 and 3

The second time I steeped the leaves – for 3:30 mins – the lychee flavour was considerably fainter, with the oolong base being more distinct. It made the steeping taste quite bakey.

The third steeping at 4:30 mins is pretty weak, though interestingly the sweet lychee flavour is back a little bit.

So not really a tea that’s good for the long haul; I probably wouldn’t steep this more than twice.

195 °F / 90 °C
Suzi

Nice to see you’re having better luck with this than I did!

Jillian

Part of it is just down to personal taste, I think. :)

I’ve been experimenting with Lupicia’s Lychee Oolong this week, trying to make it into something I like. I’ve drank it hot and iced; I’ve steeped it three minutes, five minutes, seven minutes, ten minutes. I’ve re-steeped and messed around with the amount of tea in my teapot, but I just can’t seem to find a happy combination.

The oolong is sort’ve a generic oolong, slightly smoky/dusty in flavor. The lychee is present in the aroma – I can smell it on the dry leaves and in the tea’s steam – but not really there in the flavor. There’s a slightly fruity aftertaste, but it’s nothing like the lychee-flavored milk tea I buy from boba shops.

Dang it! I was in the mood for something fruity. If anyone has a good lychee tea to recommend, please do!

Jenny

I’ve found that the less you steep the more fruity it is. That being said this is not a very sweet or fruity tea. I usually always get more oolong than lychee.

At boba shops, they always add a lychee syrup or some other kind of lychee flavoring to get that sweetness, so it might be hard to replicate that same taste at home. If you love lychee, you might want to try the Calpico lychee drink (you can usually find them in Japanese markets.) Personally my favorite at boba shops is the lychee icee/slushie drink with lychee jelly instead of pearls!

Suzi

I notice you live (part-time anyway) in San Jose :D Would you happen to know if Mitsuwa over in Saratoga carry Calpico? I work a few minutes from there. Personally I like to get rainbow jelly at boba shops, but lychee jelly is fab too!

Jenny

I’m pretty sure they do! On a non-beverage related note, if you’re going to Mitsuwa you should stop by Clover Bakery. It’s a Japanese bakery in the same plaza. And their curry beards are my absolute favorite. Their melon breads are pretty good too, I especially like the green tea melon one.

Suzi

Clover is awsome! I must hit them up for lunch at least once a week :-p I really like the UFO bread and the croquette sandwich :D When I go for the melon breads I usually go for chocolate chip, but the green tea is really good too. Have you tried any of the deep fried items? I always mean to get one of those, but forget until I’ve driven halfway home :-p

Jenny

I’ve tried the curry one. It’s pretty good but I prefer the non-fried one better.

Oh also if you haven’t tried lychee ice cream you should! You can get it at Mitsuwa. The company that makes it is Maeda-en. They also make mango ice cream, red bean ice cream, and green tea ice cream.

I wanted something with that was just a “bit” sweet and this lychee oolong was the first thing that caught my eye in my tea cupboard.

Well, discovered an unopened packet of this the other day, and it turns out the expiration date in February, 2010. So, I’m trying to drink through it quickly.
I’m sure I bought this for some occasion a while ago, and completely forgot about it – oh well.

Brewed it in one of those three-piece cups (cup, infuser, lid), which I rarely use.
Kinda sketched out by the fact that it was kind of…foamy. Regardless, I took my chances with the rabies, and took a sip.
Eh.

Nothing to write home about, and barely something to write Steepster about. The lychee flavor is really mild, and the oolong itself (as to be expected) was rather subpar.
The smell is kind of pleasant. Very understated hints of Lychee, which fortunately don’t bring my mind to the overbearing sweetness and texture of canned lychees…
As I mentioned, not much to say. I wouldn’t suggest going out any buying it, unless you’re planning on making tea for someone who’s crazy about lychee or something.

Jillian

Rabid tea… snicker
XD

This tea came to me from a place far, far away, and from the lovely Anna. You know the one: great hair, ziplock university, secret millionaire, very dear…

The scent of the dry leaf smells kind of like the inside of your trick-or-treat bag from Halloween. Or, you know, maybe that’s the smell of lychee. I must admit that I don’t tend to gravitate towards things of the lychee persuasion, so I tried this tea a bit cautiously. And I think I either brewed it wrong or I simply don’t like lychee. I gave it a four minute steep because that’s what I’ve done with all my other oolongs and they’ve come out delectable, but somehow this had very little flavour to it. remarkably, however, I could taste lychee lingering for like an hour after I was done sipping, although the taste of lychee wasn’t in the sip itself. Isn’t that so odd? Anyway, a most unusual tea, that’s for sure. I have enough left to try it again, and I may try a shorter steep time, but perhaps it’s just that I’m not a big lychee fan.

Thanks, Anna!! I’m so glad you introduced me to lupicia, because now I feel compelled to try Lupicia everything.

Anna

Yes! Let’s make it our mission to try Lupicia everything!

This one does linger a lot, and I am also on the fence about lychee – I’m really glad I’m not the only one. If I have to drink a lychee tea, though, it will definitely be this one.

In terms of flavour I really do recommend that you try to follow the 100C/boiling and 1.5-2 minute brewing instructions at least once for all the flavoured greens and oolongs (and, generally, blacks as well). For science!

keychange

Ok, for science. That’s what I’ll do with what I have left. Promise! and yes, operation try lupicia everything must continue.

Melon oolong. Try it. I dislike oolongs. I wanted to steal cavo’shalf of the bag she and Kittenna split.

keychange

oh god I have tried their melon oolong and I want piles and piles of it in my house forever and ever.

Anna

Everyone back away from the melon oolong. I repeat, back away from the oolong.

keychange

Ha! I want a melon oolong-flavoured life.

Anna

Maybe we can all organize a field trip to the Lupicia Tea Factory and you can go all Chocolate Factory on them and OOPS FELL INTO THE VAT OF MELON OOLONG MY MISTAKE JUST GONNA SWIM AROUND FOR A BIT KBYE.

Another tea from the lovely Anna and another Lupicia tea.
Anna do you read my mind ? or maybe my notes ? :D you sent me Oolongs Melon and Lychee which are 2 fruits I particularly like. Thanks so much for that.

I do prefer this delicate blend with a refined (even if quite strong) lichee to the melon one.
I get very much of the nuttiness and buttery taste of the Oolong with this one. Absolutely mellow and sweet.

TheTeaFairy

Sounds really nice, hard to acheive a good lychee flavour without it being overwhelmingly perfumed!

Ysaurella

I do prefer the Butiki one to be honnest but this one is lovely.BT is more subtle on the flavouring

Ysaurella

and I am watching a TV documentary about….Québec city…and Montréal…

TheTeaFairy

Yes, Butiki is in a classe à part for their Lychee Oolong, it’s the best lychee I’ve ever tasted in tea.
Lol, I hope the documentary says nice things about us :-)

Ysaurella

of course, French people adore Québec !

A surprise from a surprise package from Anna! There is something quite special about being eager to get home to have a cup of good tea and find new teas on your mailbox (double! Teas from a swap with Courtney arrived at the same time, but those are teas I meant for breakfast, will test tomorrow). My planned cup of Thé sur le Nil will have to wait a few days.

I don´t know Lupicia very well, this is probably my second or third Lupicia tea (too tired to check for sure). I love lychee tea, and never had anything other than standard black tea with lychee. This oolong is a different take and it is lovely, the almost earthy-ness or nuttiness (nope, do not know what I am talking about, this sort of oolong-y thing, you know) and the juicy fruit on top. It´s a pretty delicate pairing and the taste is blessedly natural seeming. In all a lovely cup of tea.

(I was probably brutal at brewing this, but it did not seem to matter at all)

Flavors: Lychee

Ysaurella

The brand for me is really hit & miss.Some of their blends are lovely and natural and others are horrible because of artificial flavourings.
I had the chance to taste several thanks to Devilish who send me some from Hong Kong at the time the Lupicia’s teas weren’t available in France.

cteresa

The teas I had from them were nice, this one was lovely and chaud les marrons is IMO as lovely a chestnut tea as Rouge d´Automne, just different.

But I confess to being a cheapstake. I was checking their french website just browsing and thought at their prices “oh that is brave to start to sell tea in Paris for that price”, and then clicked on items and the prices are for 50 grams rather than 100, and of course I laughed. No, quite ridiculous. Very lovely tea, but almost twice the price than our Mariage friends for equivalent tea? I wonder how that is going to work out for them. Though to be fair, they do sell only 50 grams and very cute little tins for just a little more, I might indulge in person once or twice. But it´s very brave pricing for a tea shop in Paris!

Had for afternoon tea with R, an unexpected surprisingly langorous event (usually he comes home late from work Wednesdays due to faculty meetings, but they were canceled today). Nice for sure, but hot on the heels of Daruma it reminds one of it while falling short in comparison (a bit less exotic fruitiness, no peppercorn savory unique refreshing element). I’d rather reorder Daruma (yum!) and just continue to get any ol’ lychee tea I can get my hands on (with preference to Butiki’s)—it’s a flavor that just works so well with tea period that no matter who does it I always end up enjoying it. I’m noticing a pattern with that, where certain flavors feel kind of can-do-no-wrong to the point even if they’re not normally the ones I’d pick first (or eat the real version of first), with tea they’re a no brainer (the opposite holds too—some flavors, no matter how delicious in real life, never seem that great to me in tea, or so hard to do with it that finding a good specimen is tricky…figs, bananas, cinnamon, strawberries—most berries really—spring to mind first).

This oolong has a slight smoky taste that serves as a backdrop for a splash of sweet, fruity flavor. The smell is all lychee, and I actually think this tea mimics that flavor pretty well, albeit in a more subdued, less-ripe form. My favorite way to drink this was cold-brewed for about 8 hours or overnight, but it’s pretty good hot, too. I think it’s fruitier if you drink it cold-brewed.

Iced 8 min or more