Sencha "Uji"

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by VariaTEA

• “I really needed something to pick me up today. Lazy Saturday morning, I need to do my taxes and I just can't seem to get my head together. I was hoping this would help. This tea is so much lighter...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2622 tasting notes
  • “Oh my GOD. TEA IS OVER. EVERYONE GO HOME. THIS HAS WON. I literally never want to be without this again. This was the other of the Dynamic Duo of teas (the other one being Brioche) that I...” Read full tasting note
    karykeion 58 tasting notes
  • “This is among the absolute best green teas I've ever had. Made right, with a one minute steep in 165F water, it is pure fresh first-flush. Everything about it screams fresh, grassy, alive, and the...” Read full tasting note
    Iorek Byrnison 99 tasting notes
  • “The fact that I haven’t been Steepstering shouldn’t lead you to believe there hasn’t been any tea activity. There were moments of supreme tea bliss in California in the fall, where I managed to...” Read full tasting note
    annapocalyptic 302 tasting notes

From Lupicia

First flush green tea from Uji, Kyoto has a refined mellow taste.

About Lupicia View company

I really needed something to pick me up today. Lazy Saturday morning, I need to do my taxes and I just can’t seem to get my head together. I was hoping this would help. This tea is so much lighter than I remember it but it could also have been my steeping temp. since I didn’t measure it with a thermometer. I am wishing for a tad bit more sweetness here, today I seem to be getting primarily seaweedy notes.

Kittenna

Haha, my yesterday was spent perusing Steepster, brewing tea, playing games… gotta actually get some work done today! Motivation is difficult to come by sometimes.

Joshua Smith

I know exactly how you feel. I have a test on posthumanism on Monday, and a test on Electrical Engineering on Thursday this week. Needless to say, I’m regretting that I don’t have any Matcha in stock.

TeaBrat

I excel at the art of goofing off… :-)

Kittenna

So do I…….. Another day of doing nothing. This is going to bite me, hard and fast. Uh oh.

Oh my GOD.

TEA IS OVER. EVERYONE GO HOME. THIS HAS WON.

I literally never want to be without this again. This was the other of the Dynamic Duo of teas (the other one being Brioche) that I received for Christmas and fell immediately in love with upon trying. First of all, I can tell it tastes different from other senchas, which is a step for me since Lupicia’s other senchas that I’ve had (Chiran and Kanaya ♥♥♥) tasted pretty much the same. Second of all, this being said, I am not kidding when I say this is the best Japanese green tea I have ever tasted. Yes, I have had Gyokuro. I have also had Teavana’s Gyokuro Genmaicha, which was basically two of my favorite things married to each other, and THIS IS STILL BETTER.

aaaaaaah I have to stop drinking this long enough to review it. Okay.

Starts off delicate and nice like any other sencha, but the astringent kick hits you sooner rather than waiting until the tea hits the back of your mouth. Also, the aftertaste doesn’t taste so much like nori. Instead, something happens between when the smoothness turns vegetal and when the astringency hits, and it’s the most divine, warm, savory, almost marine note that I have EVER tasted. I want to note that this is kind of subtle if you drink this on its own, but if you’re eating—I had this with sushi the first time—that specific salty savory taste will punch you in the face and make the world taste like God for about half a second.

This is the savoriness I wanted from Dokudami Umami that I didn’t get. I think I might die if I run out of this, but at least I know where to get more. Lupicia is, at this point, trying to usurp ZenTea’s place in my heart between White Christmas and this.

It pairs gloriously with homework on a foggy morning, and also everything else.

This is among the absolute best green teas I’ve ever had. Made right, with a one minute steep in 165F water, it is pure fresh first-flush. Everything about it screams fresh, grassy, alive, and the aroma alone is worth the price of admission.

Flavorwise, it’s an especially mellow and smooth green, astringent without being bitter, grassy without being earthy, and unusually umami in the mid- and after-taste, shifting from the grassy freshness into a faintly salty savoriness that doesn’t disrupt the fresh and clean feel one bit.

This is how green tea is supposed to taste, this is green tea in the purest of forms. The blue-rare Kobe steak of green. Just a touch of oxidization on the best leaves, letting the tea speak for itself, not the process… and what a tea it is.

With the proper steep time and temperature, you’ll be able to get a second brew out of this that comes very close to the first, just steep for 15s longer or so.

The fact that I haven’t been Steepstering shouldn’t lead you to believe there hasn’t been any tea activity. There were moments of supreme tea bliss in California in the fall, where I managed to visit no fewer than three Lupicia stores in the Bay Area… with predictable subsequent stash-killing results.

It did help me forward with poor neglected Project Green, to some degree, which will hopefully see more action in 2015. This is one of the California teas, chosen especially as a Project Green participant.

It’s a first flush sencha (Does that automatically make it a shincha? Or is that an additional category within the first flush senchas?) from Uji, a city right outside of Kyoto. Things I knew about Uji that made me pick this one up: parts of the Tale of Genji play out there. High-quality green tea is made in Uji. The world’s oldest tea shop (Tsuen Tea) is located in Uji. It seemed like a good start, right?

I obviously realize the ridiculousness inherent in picking something like this up from Lupicia, rather than just ordering it online from a(n even more) local company that carries Uji-produced teas, but it’s convenient, which is a major bonus in these times of carpenter/painter/electrician-propelled chaos.

Obviously, I could keep talking about other things, but you’d know it’s because I’m just trying to avoid exposing my painfully inadequate green-tea-tasting skill to the world, so let’s just do this.

In the bag, this is all long, skinny needles of dark green. Dry, it smells very sweet, but with a baked note to it as well – light and elegant, though, like the most delicate of green tea-infused sponge cakes.

In the pot (for I made a whole pot of this, as has become my habit, and I will soon be out) some of the sweetness evaporates nose wise, and it comes off more as a light, mellow cloud of…light brown. My synesthesia screws me over here, because I don’t have better words than this very plain cross-sensory experience of colour. The liquid is a yellowish green, though, and the flavor is all green, all the way.

What’s so terrifying about green tea – and I know I’ve said this before – is that it is its own flavor. It tastes of green tea. In addition to that, I can speak of notes of hay or grass or sweetness, but no full-fledged mango is ever going to spring up and punch me in the face. No childhood memories will be evoked, because the first time I tried green tea (and I grimaced, and I complained, and I vowed never again) I’d already taken and discarded more lovers that I have fingers on my hands.

And that makes this very scientific, rather than emotional. And science, in its turn, is obviously terrifying, because it suggests unnegotiable truth. Two of the most intimidating words! Unnegotiable. Truth.

On the tonguetip, it’s vegetal. No salty weedness, but boiled grass – the good boiled grass, too; the top-shelf boiled grass. The main body of the flavor hits mid-tongue; mid-swallow. There is surprising complexity, and it’s a light, late spring, early summer type of flavor. The aftertaste is heavy on the grass, but it’s more of a full-on meadow than just the sweetgrass, so the complexity lasts throughout the sip.

All in all, a complex, mellow, smooth sencha that makes me want to explore more Uji teas.

160 °F / 71 °C 1 min, 30 sec 4 g 25 OZ / 750 ML
Cameron B.

I’m curious about ‘shincha’ versus ‘first flush’ as well!

Anna

I think shincha might be a specific, ultra-super-extraordinary first flush variety that has not been treated in any way?

But I am way out of my depth here, as you know, haha.

Cameron B.

According to my cursory Googling, they are the same thing. Also, the first flush is called “ichibancha” in Japan. :D

Anna

It seems like, in Japan, everything is called something a) adorable and b) impossible for me to remember.

OMGsrsly

Science is always negotiable. Form a hypothesis and test it until you have a theory. Theories can always change. ;)

I WAS JUST BAITING YOU AND I WON

OMGsrsly

PS. I like your song in the side bar.

Once I was trying a Sencha from the book, I decided it would be a good idea to try another side-by-side to see how they differ. Like I said before, green tea is not really my thing so I doubt I would be able to pick up on the subtle differences from cup to cup, hence I figured drinking them at the same time would highlight each cups unique qualities. Honestly, I am still getting hay but it is more of a sweet/grassy hay than the buttery hay I was getting in Sencha “Tosa”. Again, not bad, just not for me. Though, I think I might prefer this of the two I have tried so far. Then again, if I had a blind taste test, I doubt I would really be able to tell them apart easily. 293.

TeaBrat

I like the Sencha chiran!

Love green tea as always, and Japanese sencha rarely disappoints! Love the grassy aroma, savoury taste, and the slightly sweet finish. It’s just lovely!

Sancha Green available from WHITTAD,nice to drink in
The evening or before bed. In this tea I prefer one spoon of
Sugar.

Really wonderful tea! I adore Lupicia. Perfectly light, subtle flavors, and a nice umami. I usually wait five minutes after the water boils to begin steeping this tea, and brew for the full one minute.

A very elegant tea with a refined freshness. Reminiscent of a cool summer wind blowing across a green field. Delicate, the flavor comes to you.