American Breakfast

Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

• “for breakfast today, i'm have 3 breakfasts... scrambled eggs with lots of tasty things mixed in, american breakfast and french breakfast lol I wanted to see how the MF breakfast teas stacked up,...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4043 tasting notes
  • “Take a look at my girlfriend, she's the only one I got Not much of a girlfriend, never seem to get a lot Take a jumbo across the water, like to see America See the girls in California I'm hoping...” Read full tasting note
    Ysaurella 293 tasting notes
  • “Dear America, I think Mariage Freres loves you, to make you such a breakfast tea. Dear Wedding Impérial, you are fired, sorry. I was smelling all the MF breakfast mixes, and it is interesting -...” Read full tasting note
    cteresa 325 tasting notes
  • “Welcome to Day 8 of *little terri's Sipdown Extravaganza!* I was debating with my selves yesterday evening as to whether I should keep the sipdowns coming, as there are some seriously amazing...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2492 tasting notes

From Mariage Frères

By creating AMERICAN BREAKFAST TEA, Mariage Frères has reinvented the wake-up call…

A delicious black tea with a hint of caramelized chocolate; good with a drop of cold milk, perfect with breakfast in Manhattan.

PREPARATION ADVICE FOR 1 CUP :
Amount of tea leaves: 2.5g
Best water temperature: 95 °C
Infusion time: 3-5 min

About Mariage Frères View company

for breakfast today, i’m have 3 breakfasts… scrambled eggs with lots of tasty things mixed in, american breakfast and french breakfast lol I wanted to see how the MF breakfast teas stacked up, since cteresa was kind enough to part with a sample of her American Breakfast. It’s been compared to wedding imperial, which is one of my favourite MF teas – so i’ve been excited to taste this one.

This is a great blend. It’s slightly malty, but sweet and chocolatey (not cocoa). It’s not too bitter, but i think at longer steep times that may happen. It does remind me of wedding imperial but there would be room for both of this in my cupboard because i like the way this tastes without the caramel that wedding imperial has. This is a seriously lovely tea! I will for sure be looking to get more when i get back to europe…some day. thank you cteresa!

Ysaurella

it is a very lovely tea, I do agree

cteresa

so far I have found this easier, less finicky than wedding breakfast – I have not purposefully overbrewed it yet, but forgot about it a couple times and at least with my water, i got lucky. Wedding Imperial is a bit more complicated for me, but I admit I might have to find a way to have both on my stash as well!

Terri HarpLady

I did enjoy wedding imperial, & both of these breakfast teas also sound like my kind of cup. :)

Take a look at my girlfriend, she’s the only one I got
Not much of a girlfriend, never seem to get a lot
Take a jumbo across the water, like to see America
See the girls in California
I’m hoping it’s going to come true but there’s not a lot I can do …..

No idea if this blend is a tribute to Supertramp’s song breakfast in America…but it makes the job !
What a lovely naturally malted and chocolatey blend. The base is not as strong as I feared but yes, it reminds me a little Wedding Impérial, I agree cteresa.
For me I keep my Wedding because there is caramel inside but this one is really a very good MF and for sure it will go sometimes in my cupboard.
Thank you so much for sharing this one with me cteresa.
Another plain tea I love !

good to know!

TeaBrat

great song :)

cteresa

I am afraid I changed my allegiance from Wedding Imperial to this one. I mentally call it my Maltesers tea – it´s so much more low maintenance than Wedding Imperial (my very first MF tea, my very first “expensive” tea..)

Dear Wedding Impérial, you are fired, sorry.

I was smelling all the MF breakfast mixes, and it is interesting – I can not imagine some of those blends really working as a breakfast mix. This was the no competition win – a chocolate breakfast mix. A malted chocolate with vanilla breakfast mix. I just made it, added some sugar and a smidgeon of milk, oh my this is indeed a lovely tea.

I think there are some honey notes as well, and this is not a very strong breakfast mix IMO which is fine with me (though a lot of the other MF breakfast mixes seemed even less likely to be strong breakfast mixes). But oh so lovely.

Not kidding about Wedding Impérial now being put off rotation.

yyz

sounds good!

now i need to try this.. i love wedding imperial!

cteresa

yyz, it is good! Sil, I like wedding imperial very much, it was my very first MF tea (and its tin, lol, already been refilled and was now the tin I just refilled, after very well steamed and aired, with this very one). But I find it a tricky tea to brew just right and somehow this american breakfast has supplanted it. Mind you, French Breakfast also smelled heavenly.

And a very different, more afternoon like, chocolate tea I also love is Thé-o-dor´s Thé du Loup.

Excelsior

It it similar to CHA THAI also from Mariage? I loved their Mt. Cameroon they used to carry maybe 25 years ago. Since they had difficulty in the supply, the manager of Mariage steered me towards CHA THAI which was very similar with it’s chocolate malty taste.

cteresa

Excelsior, I had not even heard of cha thai till your comment (though I think it is going on the shopping list). Sounds lovely indeed and am putting it on shopping list.

Cameroon tea, ah that sounds interesting indeed! I wonder if stocks of african teas have gotten more difficult or if it was a marketing decision. On the MF book there is for example photos where you can see tins of Mozambican tea (Gurue, I think) but that must have been an old photo, they had none on stock, so maybe they need the space for new blends (or decided against).

But thank you for the tip about Cha thai, sounds precisely like something I want to try. One of these days!

Excelsior

Remind me to send you some Mariage Freres Darjeeling Tea in 2014, Spring. I am hopeful Mariage will have some better Darjeelings next year. I was really disappointed with the Mariage 2013 Spring Darjeelings and although I have a lot of tea, I don’t have anything that may change your opinion of Darjeeling teas. Even the First Flush Margaret’s Hope was marginal at best.

cteresa

That is a very kind offer, thank you so much! Not something I can say no to, I think if I am ever going to get Darjeelings you would be the perfect guide.

Ysaurella

this one is in my shopping list for a while ! good to know it is really a good one

cteresa

Ysaurella, I would be glad to send you some, so you can try before buying!

cteresa

And Excelsior, same offer applies to you as well!

you’re awesome :)

cteresa

Nope, just a tea consumption enabler! I will write you about it, give me a couple days!

Welcome to Day 8 of little terri’s Sipdown Extravaganza!
I was debating with my selves yesterday evening as to whether I should keep the sipdowns coming, as there are some seriously amazing looking (& smelling!) teas in my cupboard, just waiting to be sampled. And I really want to sample them!!

But I also really want to clean up the loose ends, if you know what I mean. So I’m gonna take it one day at a time, until I either can’t stand it anymore, or run out of sipdown material.

This is a sample from Sil, and as others have said, it bares a similarity to imperial wedding. It’s not a tea I should have drank on an empty stomach, unfortunately.

doh… eat something lady!

One of those mornings when you can’t decide whether to have tea or hot chocolate? Try this one – it does have some chocolate in it, but I taste it more as malt. Like malted milk balls have been crushed up and mixed in. Very un-French, but I guess that’s why they call it American Breakfast. I couldn’t imagine drinking it without milk and sugar. Bottom line – very yummy!

tisane-in-the-brain

oh wow, that sounds so interesting. I just found out that Kyoto has a Marriage Freres there and I will be in Japan in a week so I’m going to check it out there!

Adham

Have fun in Japan – make sure you check out the MF store and think of me while you’re there!

First time I had a cup of American Breakfast. Bought it in Paris a couple of days ago and couldn’t wait to try it. Even better with some milk and sugar.