Cardamom Pu-erh

Pu-erh Tea
Cardamom, Pu Erh Tea
Dirt, Earth, Fishy, Bitter, Cardamon, Spices, Alcohol, Citrus Zest, Grass, Green Wood
Tea Bag
Fair Trade, Kosher, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Shae

2 Images

From Numi Organic Tea

Sweet, aromatic & spicy

This luxurious blend of rich Black Pu∙erh tea is enlivened by the spicy and crisp hints of sweet green cardamom. The exotic and aromatic experience of this one-of-a-kind specialty tea is truly an adventure of the senses.

Soulful Steeping:
Bring fresh water to boil. Slowly pour over a bag of Cardamom Pu-erh. As exotic aroma warm and enchant you, steep 4-5 minutes. For iced tea, steep 2 tea bags, cool and pour over ice.

Ingredients: Verified Fair Labor organic black pu-erh tea, organic cardamom[email protected]@Puerh

About Numi Organic Tea View company

This was discovered on a recent trip to Whole Foods, I am not a big fan of Numi’s Chocolate Chai but I thought I would give this a whirl since I really like cardamom.

I’m glad I got this and I think it’s really yummy. The cardamom is really strong here and it goes so well with the earthy pu-erh, I am glad I got it. I’m drinking it plain but it would also be really good with sugar or soymilk. Thankfully I am finding I don’t really need either. I’ll have to keep this around at work as a digestif. It’s true that the cardamom is really strong but it works (for me).

Meditation for this evening: I deserve to be treated with kindness and respect, not rage and profanity.

Kasumi no Chajin

I adore this one! hope to restock it with loose soon.(also with the ginger one!)

It is good!

Great post! I def need to make a trip to Whole Foods and try this out. I love cardamom.

I ♥ NewYorkCiTEA

Oooh! I like cardamom. This one sounds v good.

A review of 100% Organic & Pure Green Tea by Organic & Pure, Inc.

Company: Numi Organic Tea

1. Steepings

1st Steeping:
Water temperature: 200 Fahrenheit
Time: 5 minutes

As I have been having many pu-erh teas of late, I notice each time when pouring the tea water into my cup with the tea bag already in it that the teas’ color right away, first a light orange/cantaloupe color to the dark red resulting at end of steep time.

The tea’s aroma is pungently of moisture with hints of spice when I am sipping the tea. The mustiness is what I am met with when first trying the tea and with each sip and allowing the tea settle in my palate I note the spices.

2nd Steeping:
Water temperature: 200 Fahrenheit
Time: 3 minutes

The tea is steep for less time using the same tea bag and color is very much the same dark red and the pungent moisture/dampness is not as strong but still remains and this time more of the spice of cardamom is coming through.

As I have been sampling many spice teas of late for this season and the one spice seeming a stranger to me is Cardamom. So I thought to give a proper look up of it. I have read of this prior but had forgotten.

Cardamom is a peppery ginger lemon flavor—small black seeds from a tropical shrub are used to flavor herbal tea blends.

Cardamom was one of the first spices brought to Egypt along the trade routes from Eastern India. It grows only in rain forests with at least 150 inches of amount rain fall and seeds from cardamom can be used to sweeten the breadth.

In all this tea is a sweetly aromatic and spicy.

Cardamom is one of my favorite spices. I’m not sure about pu-erh though. Maybe I should try this one.

I don’t know that I’ve ever had cardamom in anything but chai … normal cooking uses?

Excellent in breads and pastries.

Cardamom is used in Indian cooking. Well, the only thing I want to know is how you liked the puerh with cardamom? The taste?

I looked at your blog and you do a nice job. It’s lots of work I know! Takes me forever to write only a small story!

I am sorry if I did not make it clear that with the added cardamom to the pu-erh acted as another layer to getting past the mustiness/wet/dampness of the taste. It was done nicely; the pu-erh is intact and the cardamom is just an adage; a layering of sort. It was the same with the ginger as well. I like Numi’s pu-erh and in fact I have wanted to keep stock of their teas but I have yet to accomplish this. Income is minus on my part. Thank you for reading and happy holidays. I don’t have friends here, I know this. Best.

I think I’ve found another purse tea. Earthy pu-erh and cardamom are a perfect blend for a cold winter afternoon. A great bagged tea.

this sound like something i’d like!

Tea Sparrow was sampling this out at the Victoria Tea Festival. I was a little skeptical at first since pu-erh and I don’t exactly get along, but I was ultimately sold on the cardamom.

Wow, cardamom pairs really well with the earthy pu-erh. By the way, when I say cardamom, I mean, crazy cardamom on steroids. I barely tasted the tea base. I actually felt very cleansed drinking this tea. But at the same time, it made me just think, gee, I could just steep a bunch of green cardamom pods with a regular tea at home and get similar results.

Bagged Tea.
Aroma when Dry: Bright, spicy, warm, fresh, uplifting.
After water is first poured: warm, smooth spice,
as brewing: mellow earthy spice
Tea liquor: first color: light earthy red
At end of steep even earthy red.
Staple? Yes, will look into loose leaf next
Time of day preferred: Morning, or if I need a pick me up.
Taste: first notes: cardamom, peppery bite. fresh, bodied.
Additives used (milk, honey, sugar etc)? No.
Lingers? Yes, with almost a lemony, or Chamomile texture, but spicier. can feel it warming entire body.
As it cools? Still warm, spice fades a bit, mellows and then deepens to general earthy notes

Delicious! Love the strength of the cardamom in this tea. It also has a sweet creaminess that reminds me of kheer.

1932 tasting notes

OK, ashmanra, my first whiff of this made me proceed with trepidation, because it immediately brought floor cleaner to mind.

However, I followed your advice to steep lightly, and we can swab away that first erroneous judgment. The cardamom is a nice aromatic counterpoint to pu-erh’s darker, heavier baseline. Reminds me a little of pine needles. Thus the floor cleaner, I guess. I can definitely envision this iced. (As my office is erratically and inappropriately cooled to 45 degrees and below year-round, I’ll have to save that for a hot lawn mowing day at home :)

I liked it iced! The lemony cardamom makes it refreshing.

Ashmanra gave me one of these because we’re on a cardamom kick.

These are teabags and I like that because I’m lazy. I enjoy being smugly superior to people with my loose leaf but sometimes you need the bag. It’s simple and I feel like I get more uniform results over loose leaf. Plus you can keep it in your bag. I have a lot of tea in my purse. It’s super handy in airports, hotels, waiting for your car at the shop, work meetings…

First impressions taking the bag out of the wrapper, is a cardamom sucker punch. I got worried because I like cardamom but I dunno if I like it quite that much. It was so strong it was nearly anise.

I boiled up some water and steeped the bag for four minutes. It is an incredibly dark steep.

Second impression, it smells extremely puerh-y, which is to say like a horse stable. More worried.

Fortunately the actual steep tastes strongly of neither, it’s quite balanced and enjoyable. I can see this being a handy bag to keep around especially if traveling. Will be buying a box of my own.

Glad you liked it! I think I can get a discount on it from Jason so let me know when you want it. I got that one at The Fresh Market.

As promised, I tried this cold. I had it hot first and liked it. Wow, that’s a lot of cardamom! Second steep was about ten seconds and the cup was inky black so I figured I would go for two more steeps and put them in the fridge.

Steep three was the normal orange black tea color, while steep four was getting rather pale. As strong as the flavor was, though, I figured it would work. And it did.

I poured both of those steeps into a mason jar and put it in the fridge. I had some with supper that night and the rest with lunch the next day. It was good and refreshing and I love having a flavored cold drink with no guilt, because part of me still wants to reach for the sugary things we used to associate with summertime. (Kool-Aid from my childhood, and my mom always added EXTRA sugar cuz she said it tasted better that way! Southern sweet tea that was so sweet it should have been called Tea Simple Syrup. Ice cold Coke in a glass bottle…okay, I still do that one sometimes, but we buy the Hecho In Mexico ones at Sam’s Club that are made with real cane sugar.)

Going to finish this box quite easily! Took some to Superanna and she liked it, and now need to share with my son and his fiancée, ChelseaR.

S.G. Sanders

I have the problem with drinking Southern Sweet Tea when I visit family in N.C./Tennessee. But I give myself the whole, “It’s okay, at least you don’t drink soda anymore” speech.

Very earthy, fishy smell. I did not care for this tea. I added honey and I still did not care for this.

Flavors: Dirt, Earth, Fishy

Super Starling!

I’m not into fish flavor. I find it suspicious when people say “this is a delicious fish dish! it doesn’t taste like fish at all!” Then why are you eating fish? Eat chicken if you want a non-fish item. It doesn’t stink up your house or have eyes when you get it from the supermarket. AMIRITE?

I like fish. The flavour of fish is something that you gradually appreciate more and more. From eating a delicious piece of salmon with bbq spices to a raw piece of salmon cut in the form of sashimi. It even tastes good in your stomache.

Having said that, I have a Tuo Cha (small puehr) that smells like garbage / fish / earth.