Original Tulsi

Herbal Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by teaddict

• “Note: My review is for the loose leaf and not the teabag form of this. I decided to pick this up at Whole Foods tonight. Seeing as how I have wasted a bunch of money on tulsi blends I didn't...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2310 tasting notes
  • “While browsing the tea aisle at Whole Foods (aka "Whole Paycheck" :P), I tossed this and Rishi's Ginger Pu-erh into my basket. I've read good things about the restorative powers of tulsi as well...” Read full tasting note
    StephL535 314 tasting notes
  • “I picked this up at the grocery store on a total whim. I'd never even heard of Tulsi before, but the box said it was supposed to relieve stress and provide a number of other health benefits. And I...” Read full tasting note
    teaqueen 297 tasting notes
  • “BB # 8 for today Just when I think plain tulsi might bore me - I find a nice, straight-up Tulsi that surprises and satisfies me. It's comforting and easy to sip. It's sweet basil-esque but not...” Read full tasting note
    teaequalsbliss 6770 tasting notes

From Organic India

Original Tulsi Tea

A perfect blend of three varieties of Tulsi leaves

• Certified Organic Tea
  • Stress Relieving
  • Rejuvenating
  • Abundant in antioxidants
  • Powerful adaptogen
  • Caffeine-Free

About Organic India View company

Note: My review is for the loose leaf and not the teabag form of this.

I decided to pick this up at Whole Foods tonight. Seeing as how I have wasted a bunch of money on tulsi blends I didn’t really like or care for, I figure why not just drink it straight and see what it’s like. D’oh!

This is a blend of three different tulsis and it is very nice. It is has an aromatic aroma like cloves but the flavor of the tea is a bit minty/herbaly with some pepper element. I am feeling a bit of “bite” on my tongue as I sip this. It also has a slightly cooling effect.

Still, I can see the possibilities of making my own nighttime blend, possibly with some chamomile or verbena, if I didn’t want to drink this plain. I do like various herbal teas and I think this is nice on its’ own – so I will probably not spend much more money on other tulsi type stuff for a while. =)

Hooray for stress reduction!

ScottTeaMan

What is the best Tulsi tea you’ve tasted Amy? I plan on placing a small (hopefully) order in the next couple of weeks. I think I’ll purchase a sample. :))

TeaBrat

I don’t know if I could really say, try a plain variety first. I believe Upton has several.

While browsing the tea aisle at Whole Foods (aka “Whole Paycheck” :P), I tossed this and Rishi’s Ginger Pu-erh into my basket.

I’ve read good things about the restorative powers of tulsi as well as these amazing properties:

“…reduces stress, enhances stamina, relieves inflammation, lowers cholesterol, eliminates toxins, protects against radiation, prevents gastric ulcers, lowers fevers, improves digestion and provides a rich supply of antioxidants and other nutrients. Tulsi is especially effective in supporting the heart, blood vessels, liver and lungs and also regulates blood pressure and blood sugar.”

What a magical herb, eh? ;)

The scent is spicy like cloves and cinnamon but the taste is so mild—mild but not wimpy—there’s a nice peppery, tannic bite. It’s slightly sweet with just a hint of clove-like flavor. I sense licorice too.

I like this. Even in its mellowness, I find it pretty good. I love the aroma. And, perhaps it’s the power of suggestion, but I can feel myself unwind already. The stresses of the week seem to be melting away… :)

I bet this would taste even better (and stronger) in the loose-leaf version. But, sadly, it wasn’t available at the store.

Boiling 8 min or more
Rabs

“Whole Paycheck” LOL!

I’ve become quite curious about tulsi (TeaEqualsBliss wrote about one recently). But I’m quite disappointed to learn that it won’t do my taxes for me. ;)

gmathis

I think it’s a good thing that the closest Whole Foods is clear across the state from me.

Lainie Petersen

Incidentally, Rishi’s Ginger Pu’erh is one of my favorites.

__Morgana__

Stephanie! Where are you! Come back! We miss you! Hope all is well!

I picked this up at the grocery store on a total whim. I’d never even heard of Tulsi before, but the box said it was supposed to relieve stress and provide a number of other health benefits. And I decided, Well, last night sucked for me and I feel gloomy today, so why not give it a try? If it doesn’t work, at least it won’t hurt anything. It’s benign basil.

It tastes very earthy, rich, and refreshing. It’s very definitely an herbal brew! It was very enjoyable. If you let it steep for a long time, it starts to have a minty note, too.

I did feel better emotionally after drinking it, too. So I’m glad I bought it! It’s also organic and fair-trade.

BB # 8 for today

Just when I think plain tulsi might bore me – I find a nice, straight-up Tulsi that surprises and satisfies me. It’s comforting and easy to sip. It’s sweet basil-esque but not overly herbally or medicinal tasting. It has that bit of freshness like mint but isn’t peperminty, per say.

This is a mighty fine organic tulsi – all by itself – and darn impressive for a bagged tulsi at that!

I <3 Teas

I never have had a tulsi but sounds interesting! I might have to give it a try.

TeaEqualsBliss

Were are you located? In the US? There are some nicely flavored tulsi’s too! Fusion Tea Room has some goodies :)

Thanks to Amy Oh for a sample of this tea!

Yesterday, I had too much caffeine and I hadn’t had a run in a while so I had too much energy in my system. I thought it would be a good time to give some of this herb a try! Well, I wasn’t sure how much leaf to use to I ended up using waaay too much. Urgh.

This morning, I made it again with only 3/4 tsp of leaf for my mug. Perfect! Very herbal and cooling. And spicy! I wonder how this herb is fresh? I bet it’s awesome! Anyway, I’m a fan. :)

TeaBrat

I like this mixed with other stuff, rather than on its own. Anyway, it seems to be relaxing for me!

Mercuryhime

I might try mixing this with mint!

TeaBrat

Yeah, I mix mine with spearmint and it’s good!

This is my first time trying tulsi of any kind. I kept reading the paeans GMathis wrote on its benefits, but I never thought to pick it up. Today, my daughter’s orthodontist appointment took me very close to our health food store. I used my few minutes to pick up a box of tulsi and some loose lavender flowers.

Husband and I each had a cup of this. I am so sleepy because I didn’t sleep but four hours last night and it has been a very stressful couple of days. I don’t know yet if this is reducing stress, but I can comment on the taste,

I don’t do a lot of herbals, and I do not like rooibos. Tis, however, is very nice and drinkable, even tasty. I made the mistake (or not) of making a cup of lavender tea at the same time and had just brushed my teeth, but the aroma of the two cups and the taste reminded of Yogi’s Bedtime tea, sans the super sweet licorice root. I don’t know if it was the tulsi or the lavender bringing it to mind, though.

I can say that if this is really good for me and also truly helps alleviate stress, it will be a pleasure to drink it, rather than an effort. This is tasty, and I hope to find sme loose leaf tulsi soon. I was surprised that there was none in the bulk bins.

Thank you, GMathis, for the recommendation of tulsi and buying lavender from the bulk bins! It is quite a savings over how I bought it before.

tulsi thief! tulsi thief!

i must say, it’s nice to drink something so fresh tasting and clarifying in the late afternoon. the fact that tulsi is stress relieving might actually be accurate! who’da thunk?

i like this.

Was out at a concert last night, feeling a bit hoarse and draggy (is that a word). Soothing but supposedly energizing tulsi, with a spot of honey, seems to be in order.

Already contemplating what tea to have with lunch!

Josie Jade

I’ve been thinking the same thing since I woke up. I think today is a Downton Abbey blend day for me. See you soon!

Janefan

Sounds good! See you later. :-)

I found this one in a health food store today. Yay! Finally I’ve found tulsi tea!

It’s pretty good. I decided to add a bit of honey to it because I have a sore throat, and that improved the taste a bit. It’s not as sharp and citrusy as the tulsi I’ve had before, but that’s probably because a) it’s in bags, and b) it’s a mix of 3 different types of tulsi.

Anyways, it’s good, and if I can’t find a good loose tulsi, I’ll definitely get this one again.

Fuzzy_Peachkin

I just recently tried a tulsi tea from this brand and thought it was pretty good for a bagged tea. Health food stores usually have some interesting herbals.

OMGsrsly

A lot of the stores I usually shop at are health food stores, as I live in “that area” of town! :) Every store tends to stock the same stuff, though (Numi, Traditional Medicinals, Yogi…).

I’ve just discovered my new favorite tea, I love the gentle influence of tranquility this tea induces. Nice spicy, mint type of flavor. I really like when tea is good by it’s self, no additives needed. Tea leaves and hot water. What a gift.

Simple

I made a cup last night, sore throat and couldn’t sleep, added Lime, Honey and Ginger. Fixed me right up, so glad I did that. Tulsi reminds me of the saying about Yerba Mate – The drink of the gods. It’s right up there. Love it.