West Cape Chai

Chai Rooibos Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

From Rishi Tea

West Cape Chai is a caffeine-free, herbal blend of chai spices and 100% Organic Rooibos, designed by Rishi blending experts to be prepared the same way as Rishi Masala Chai. West Cape Chai has a strong-bodied flavor with a well-balanced, sweet and spicy character. Its dark red infusion is the perfect base for a unique “Honey Steamer” beverage.

About Rishi Tea View company

So. very. yum.

Seeing as how I’ve gone through 3 tins of this since January I might just have to break down and order the 1 lb. size from them. Still my favorite rooibos by far…

SuperHrefna

This sounds very interesting – I’m not convinced by rooibos but I love chai with a passion and I’m always looking for a good caffeine-free tea. I will have to look out for this one!

TeaBrat

I am just starting to warm up to rooibos myself :)

Scott B

Maybe I will check this out next time they have a free shipping promo-still looking for a Rooibus I like that is not a holiday tea.

This has become our night time beverage :)

I feel like I am doing something very wrong with this tea unfortunately. When I opened the tin I let out a little gasp of glee—it was so… chunky! I love when chai blends are chunky and you can see all the whole spices. No flavoring or ground-up nonsense here! So I though there would be a big POW of flavor. The first steep was with just under boiling water for 5 minutes, 2 teaspoons for 12 ounces of water. Added milk & sugar as per usual with chai and it was… just okay. You could taste the “chai” part but it was SO weak. Like, it tasted rather similar to lightly spiced milk. Eurgh.

Tried again, 2 teaspoons for only 8 ounces of water and 8 minutes of steep time—I decided to treat it like a rooibos rather than a regular chai (I was afraid the first time 8 would be too long for such strong spices, and my other rooibos chai I do for ~5). I don’t have any experience with green rooibos so perhaps it needs some sort of extra-special treatment? I didn’t really taste the flavor of it in either steep though there was almost an herby background in the second one.

Well, the second cup was just as weak as the first! Actually it was both stronger and weaker in a weird way—a more watered-down flavor but I could actually taste the layers of spice. Cardamom, cloves, and anise mainly. I’m wondering if I got a bad batch because it seems to get rave reviews here… maybe my tin was just weaker overall? A disappointment to say the least—I love love love chai and this is just not cutting it.

EDIT: My email from them lied to me and this isn’t green rooibos. Makes my experience with it a little stranger!

Boiling 8 min or more
Scott B

Upton has a good Rooibos Chai. Yogic Chai makes a Rooibos Chai, but I’ve never tried it-their regular Masala Chais are good.

Alphakitty

I am definitely planning a big Yogic Chai order in the future, they have so many flavors I want to try! I think after my disappointment with this blend I am going to add their Vanilla Rooibos Chai to that list~

TeaBrat

Aww. Sorry you did not like this one, it has been a long term fave of mine! I don’t think there’s any green rooibos in though. :-?

Alphakitty

Hmm, you’re right—for some reason in the email confirmation it had it listed as green but the ingredients on the tin are different. I didn’t taste it either way though sadly.

The main way I’d describe this tea is very smooth, with different flavors coming out of each cup (sometimes more clove, sometimes more black pepper, or mint, etc.). I liked it a lot. I will have to see how it resteeps.

The best chai I’ve ever had was kashmiri chai that I bought from Benny’s Tee Laden in Loerrach, Germany. I haven’t had a lot of other chais, but so far none have compared.

This morning was just first try so I can’t really compare it to that yet. My first impression is that it is delicious. All the better because of being caffeine free. I had it straight, but will have to try with sugar, and maybe milk at some point too.

I think Rishi’s brewing suggestions (on the bag itself) might be off though — they are suggesting 2 TBSP per 12oz water. 2 TBSP is equal to ~10 grams, which is over half the bag. It’s $3.50/oz and with those instructions, you get to brew the tea just over two times? It wouldn’t seem incorrect if they sold larger sizes (say 4-6oz) for a lower price, but using that much leaf would be too expensive. I think they may mean 2 tsp, which seems to go more along with standard brewing parameters. Has anyone else noticed this?

I brewed a 36oz pot or so using just over 4 tsp. Maybe that wasn’t enough leaf, but it tasted fine to me.

My last cup of this (from the Rishi rooibos sampler). Loved it from start to finish. Such a strange combination of spices. Peppermint? Black pepper? Fennel? Ginger? What!? I taste different flavors each time and its great with soy milk & sugar. I’ve enjoyed this on its own, with sweet breakfast foods, and with last night’s curry. Yum all around. Because I’m so sensitive to caffeine, I really appreciate having a good rooibos based, caffeine-free chai. I’m debating ordering more.

this is really VERY good, spicy but smooth.

Decent Chai blend, not the best but average. I do like how this is a caffeine-free version.

Boiling 5 min, 15 sec 2 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Tried this in a local bookstore/coffee shop and was pleasantly surprised. I love rooibus, but had never had it with masala spices. Sweet, with not overwhelming spice. Was able to re-steep the DIY teabag 3 times with no loss of flavor.

Before I tried this Chai, I was pretty burned out on Chai in general. But this particular one sounded interesting so I ordered it from Rishi. I LOVE it. It is my new Autumn tea. I used a tablespoon per 8 oz water and once it steeped, I added Vanilla Almond Milk and Agave Nectar – will have to get back to you on exact amounts of the almond milk and agave when I make it again. But it is very nice. I like that it is caffeine-free. The flavor is robust, spicy, warming and ends on a light refreshing note (because of the peppermint in the Chai). I’m pretty excited to have found a Chai I like again. Will definitely be ordering more of this from Rishi.

Another phenomenal chai from Rishi. Spicy, sweet just plain delicious. Great for a night cap seeing as how it doesn’t have tea in it using Rooibos and Honeybush instead.