Mokalbari Assam

Caramel, Fruity, Tannin
Edit tea info Last updated by kimquat

2 Images

• “This is a cup of _cheerful_. The sweetest, fruitiest, perkiest Assam I can remember having in a long while. Also a good and easy steeper; meticulous time management not required. Even better. ” Read full tasting note
    gmathis 1688 tasting notes
  • “Thanks again for the samples! This is the final tea I'm trying from Single Origin Teas and all of them have been buy-worthy! I steeped one heaping teaspoon for three minutes. I may have let the...” Read full tasting note
    Tea Sipper 1283 tasting notes
  • “Mmm. This one smells malty and rich when steeped. I used my normal heaping teaspoon in about 10 ounces of water. The leaves are on the small side but the flavor is not. This is a good cup. I'd keep...” Read full tasting note
    nburriss 511 tasting notes
  • “I got this one sent to me as a free sample from the company (along with a few others) and since I was wanting something unflavored, I grabbed this off the top of the pile. I'm not really sure of a...” Read full tasting note
    Shadowfall 198 tasting notes

From Single Origin Teas

Assams give us the traditional, full-bodied brews many of us associate with tea. This black tea has a rich malty taste, with a caramel-like sweetness. An excellent cuppa!

Assam teas are low grown and come from a local indigenous tea variety, Camellia Sinensis Assamica. Assamica is cousin to the Chinese variety grown around the world, and has much bigger, broader leaves. Assams are not usually associated with harvesting seasons like Darjeelings, but we can tell you this tea was picked in the late summer from the east side of the garden. Mokalbari tea estate was started in 1917, and has expanded rapidly from its initial 42 acres. We favor the orthodox tea as it gives a sweeter brew.

Handles milk and sugar well, or delicious on its own.

About Single Origin Teas View company

This is a cup of cheerful. The sweetest, fruitiest, perkiest Assam I can remember having in a long while. Also a good and easy steeper; meticulous time management not required. Even better.

TeaBrat

sounds delightful :)

gmathis

I’ve really been talking up my stuff from Single Origin since I got it…it’s all very good quality and none of it is a bit finicky.

they’re on my list of teas to try more of once i get through a couple more orders…so i’ve been watching your reviews :)

Thanks again for the samples! This is the final tea I’m trying from Single Origin Teas and all of them have been buy-worthy! I steeped one heaping teaspoon for three minutes. I may have let the water cool too long – but it was still hot while I sipped it for the first sip.. so not very cooled! This has a very distinct grassy and hay-like flavor. Maybe I’ve been drinking too many chocolatey teas lately, so the grassy notes in this one are more noticeable! A bit malty and it has a bit of a bite to it. The flavor is not dark or light… a nice middle ground. The second cup was ruined – five minutes just after boiling and the cup was oaky. My fault!

Today was a lovely tea day! I received my small order from Butiki and some teas I bought that I’ve been dying to try from QueenOfTarts! I REALLY need to work on some sipdowns. sigh.

Mmm. This one smells malty and rich when steeped. I used my normal heaping teaspoon in about 10 ounces of water. The leaves are on the small side but the flavor is not. This is a good cup. I’d keep it in my rotation of Assams.

And on a good note, the doctor followup went well. Everything well below danger level – cholesterol, sugars, the whole works. Whew. The only inconvenient directive I got was to exercise. So this is now my 3rd cup of tea since I got home 2 hours ago. Wooohooo for caffeine! And anecdotally for black tea which I chose to believe has been keeping my cholesterol down. ;)

Amanda 'SoggyEnderman' Wilson

Yay for everything being healthy!

gmathis

I’m with you on the health benefits; there’s even some verifiable science on our side. The Internet says so :) This Assam sounds good!

I’m not really sure of a dry leaf smell because I’m not sure how much cross contamination scent there is (the packages are just plastic lined paper bags with a little viewing window. Nice to see the tea, not so good at keeping the scents to themselves), so I’ll skip that.
There wasn’t any sort of brewing instructions on the website or package, so I just went with 1 1/2 tsp @205* ish for 3 min. It’s my standard formula for black teas. Though usually I use just 1 tsp, not really sure what possed me to use more. /shrug/
As soon as the water hit it, it started turning reddish and got really dark red by the time the 3 min was up. Nice malty scent in the cup, maybe with a bit of fruity-ness, but that might be my imagination since I couldn’t pin that down again.
My first sip was malty, and slightly astringent (the astringency got stronger the cold the cup got) but unfortunately it was also mildly bitter. Actually so much so that I couldn’t really concentrate on anything else. I’m not sure if it was because I steeped too much/for too long/too hot so I’m holding off on a rating until I try a couple different things. I’ve still got quite enough of my sample left that I can experiment alot, so I’ll give an update with my next try.
Overall it’s definitely a promising tea. And reasonably enough priced that if I do find that magic steep combination that clicks for me, I’d consider keeping this around.

I got a whiff of molasses as I poured, but couldn’t find it in the cup. I’m not a big fan of Assam, but keep searching, hoping to find that special tea that lets me love Assam. This one is close, but not quite there.

I tried this as the first tea of the morning on the first full day of the unflavored TTB. Sort of a high end English Breakfast? It is powerful enough, but not overwhelming. Very smooth, malty with hints of fruit, and on the tannic side; almost at the point where I want to add sugar (which I normally would with breakfast tea, but not with fine teas – I’m still trying to decide which side of the line this one falls). The finish is excellent: long and complex, and I think the molasses may make a subtle re-appearance. In the end, I couldn’t quite love it, but I liked it a lot. We’ll just remain friends.

200 °F / 93 °C 3 min, 0 sec 1 g 6 OZ / 177 ML

(From the Unflavored Traveling Tea Box)

Tea of the morning. A nice Assam. It’s smooth and malty with a touch of astringency. There’s also a sweetness – a brown sugar like flavor – that is most present before the tea cools. Holds up well to milk and sugar, but I think I appreciate this tea more sans additions.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

(From the UTTB.)

This is everything I imagine when I think of an Assam. It’s bright, vibrant, and a little fruity with a touch of caramel sweetness. It’s cheerful! The first cup was more bold and drying on the tongue. Not very astringent, but definitely drying. I’d say it’s a medium-bold tea. The second cup mellowed out a bit to allow some of the sweet caramel notes to peek through. (Wasn’t getting much in the first.) I think it’s a good breakfast tea. I prefer my calm-chocolatey-floral-sweet evening teas, but this was still quite nice! I drank it straight but it could definitely stand up to some milk and sugar.

Flavors: Caramel, Fruity, Tannin

I should definitely revise my approach towards assams, because I’ve been mostly straying for them. I just got this idea in my head that they are awfully bitter. And the weird part is that I love Butiki’s Caramel Vanilla Assam.

This tea made me want to reconsider and start getting into assams more. The dark leaves with specks of beige steeped into clear, mahogany liquor that smelled surprisingly sweet. It was honey/malt sweet aroma with a hint of bitter to it.

I must say that there was something, at least about this particular assam, that tasted a bit like Chinese teas to me. It must be the sweetness and a slight hint of chocolate. There was also some astringency, especially by the end of the cup, but I didn’t mind it. I think I love this kind of “bite” now. Very specific, astringent, slightly drying mouthfeel.

Thank you, Single Origin Teas, for sending me some of your teas to try!

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Single Origin Teas

glad they got there! I hope the size of the sample bags didn’t break the leaves too much.

Kat_Maria

No, they were perfectly intact :) Thanks!

When drinking unflavored black teas I generally don’t go for a strait Assam, I usually prefer it in a blend. This tea is an exception.
It has a really nice smooth full flavor. It tastes like you would expect an Assam to taste, yet it has none of the bitterness/astringency often associated with Assams. There is a nice floral note that I find usually is overpowered in other Assams I’ve had. This also does a really nice re-steep. The flavor becomes lighter, sweeter, and more floral.
I don’t use milk/sugar in my tea, but this would handle those nicely. An overall good cuppa.

gmathis

Agreed: this one is very un-Assam like! (unAssam-ing?)

SFTGFOP

:( come back to Steepster!