No. 25 Morning Light

Edit tea info Last updated by LiberTEAS
Boiling 4 min, 15 sec 12 oz / 355 ml

• “As I mentioned in my previous note, I visited Steven Smith Teamaker in Portland today ... my husband was surprisingly affable earlier this week when I asked him if he would take me to Portland to...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4540 tasting notes
  • “Order from Steven Smith arrived yesterday - yay! This was part of the holiday two pack I got. I love the tins but I wish this came in loose leaf form instead of the sachets. I steeped it up...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2535 tasting notes
  • “Ugh, been outta commission due to work and then the last couple days when I've had free time to finally backlog Steepster's been wonky. I've tried a ton of good teas the past month but logging has...” Read full tasting note
    ifjuly 613 tasting notes
  • “Morning Light for this Sunday morning. I love how convenient tea bags are and this is an excellent sachet tea bag. Makes it easy for me to enjoy tea at church. Sad to see this sample gone. ...” Read full tasting note
    EmiCreech 205 tasting notes

From Steven Smith Teamaker

Awake to a festive gathering of highly sought-after teas, combining floral, nutty Darjeeling with bright, lively Nuwara Eliya, caramelized North Indian Assam and a pinch of fragrant Douglas Fir needles. Whoa, tannenbaum.

About Steven Smith Teamaker View company

As I mentioned in my previous note, I visited Steven Smith Teamaker in Portland today … my husband was surprisingly affable earlier this week when I asked him if he would take me to Portland to visit not one but TWO tea shops. He usually grumbles (loudly) when I make such a request, and these grumbles are usually followed by comments such as “you have enough tea” or “you don’t need more tea” or “you’re going to spend more money on tea?” … something like that. Basically stating that he isn’t going to take me shopping for more tea.

But, this week, I think he may have had some residual guilt over spending a lot of money on his Christmas gift (an early gift) – a new PS3 because his old one went kaput – so, he was, as I said, surprisingly agreeable to taking me where ever I wanted to go. And I wanted to go to Steven Smith because they had a new holiday blend – this blend – that I had to try!

First of all, this is a bagged (or should I say sacheted?) tea. It wasn’t made available in loose leaf, and if I had any complaint about the blend at all that would be it. But even as a sacheted tea, it’s amazing. I like that it’s a silky sachet and not a paper bag, because … well, I don’t taste the paper bag in the finished product.

This is incredibly yummy. The black tea blend is rich and smooth … even a tad creamy tasting. Nutty, malty, sweet, and comforting. Some astringency, yes. And then you have the touch of Douglas Fir needles … and this adds a hint of refreshing, exhilarating, pine and mint taste. It’s so crisp and wintery, and yes, very Christmas-y.

I love this and am so glad that my hubby took me to get it. He’s a keeper.

CupofTree

wow I love the sound of this tea, and the packaging, and your mention of Douglas Fir :) can’t wait to visit this tea shop!

LiberTEAS

@CupofTree – this tea is a very limited edition – one batch made, that’s all, and I was told by the nice gentleman at the register yesterday that when it’s gone, it’s gone. As is the case with the occasional tea from this company. However, they do have plenty of
“regulars” that will keep me coming back, I will say. It is definitely a must visit kind of place for a tea drinker who visits Portland. :)

Order from Steven Smith arrived yesterday – yay!

I steeped it up at 5 minutes per Steven Smith recommendations and am sipping on it plain. This is a hefty blend that combines an assam, a darjeeling and a ceylon along with douglas fir needles. The overall effect is really delightful and interesting. I feel like there is some smokiness and also a lot of comforting warmth. The herby taste of the fir tree is making me want to go out and buy a bunch of douglas fir tea.

As far as the tea blend itself, the assam and ceylon seem to predominate. I’m not getting a lot of darjeeling in the mix. It has a slight tinge of bitternes in the finish, I think from the assam. Overall it is very unique and enjoyable, especially for the holidays. I wish they had this available year around!

I tried adding two other Smith teas to the database last night but they haven’t “shown up” yet. Hopefully they will in a few days.

CHAroma

Hey, when did you change your name? Half of your notes are still appearing under your former name for me. I may have to clear my cache.

TeaBrat

Just yesterday. Don’t know what Steepster is doing with all the notes.

TheTeaFairy

I’m so used to your pic, I didn’t even notice the name change! Nice new name, aren’t we all tea brats around here? lol!

Ugh, been outta commission due to work and then the last couple days when I’ve had free time to finally backlog Steepster’s been wonky. I’ve tried a ton of good teas the past month but logging has passed me by. :/ Will try to make note here and there the ones I remember being restockable.

The pine in here is lighter than I was expecting (I’m a fiend for those evergreen and rosemary-ish notes) but gives a little mysterious oomph that makes this good as a first-thing tea on a winter morning. The tea itself is nicely morning-y TEA flavor sturdy but not bitter or drying; I found the smoothness rather remarkable given the bases. Along with Bon Bon which I got obsessed with over Christmas, this is a definite “would restock” from SST (which is nice—I’ve been underwhelmed by the more notorious Steepster faves I’ve tried like Lord Bergamot and the Assam). Alas, it’s seasonal only. But bonus, like some of my favorite low fuss (read: no finicky temps needed) Harneys it’s bag-only and good for the holiday season when I’m mostly likely to be out of town and in need of decent bagged tea.

boychik

I missed your notes;)

ifjuly

you are too nice! i’m been so AWOL lately, and after getting awesome swap teas, ugh. and i keep trying to post comments to folks’ notes and that doesn’t work. :( crossing my fingers tomorrow works in my favor and i can catch up some!

Morning Light for this Sunday morning. I love how convenient tea bags are and this is an excellent sachet tea bag. Makes it easy for me to enjoy tea at church. Sad to see this sample gone. Thank you again, LiberTEAS for sharing.

LiberTEAS

Glad you liked this one!

Backlogging

Yesterday, I made a trip out to Smith HQ with my mother. Usually, I end up with a pot of Darjeeling, and she goes for the Lord Bergamot. This time we did TWO pots of Morning Light – a Douglas Fir tips-‘n-rosemary-laden black tea blend out for the holidays. I’ve had fir tipped teas before, and had an earlier variation of this a year prior.

This years was better by a longshot. The rosemary adds a spicy tickle to the woodsy mintiness already in play. Very relaxing and tasty.

We went through two pots of the stuff in about an hour.

ifjuly

oh, i love pine and rosemary. this sounds awesome!

Veronica

Oooh, that sounds really good.

ifjuly

you have enabled me—i just placed an order (we get SST at one of the groceries here but they never carry the more interesting stuff).

Charles Thomas Draper

I am not one for flavored tea but he Douglas Fir Tips sound delicious.

Geoffrey Norman

@IFJULY – Oh, it is. Liked it every time I’ve had it.

@Veronica – I will attest to its tasty efficacy.

@Charles – I’m not usually one for flavored either, but there’s always an outlier.

I got this sample from ifjuly – thank you.
She supplied me with some awesome samples some time ago. I haven’t finish her sample box, lotsa tea samples left. Feel guilty.
This tea is very good. I didnt read a description or reviews before I brew it(i do normally). my son had Field trip today, i left my house earlier without breakfast. As soon as i got home i had it, it was almost lunch time. i just couldnt figure out the flavor. its smooth malty creamy sweet (black tea sweet) and something. Well when i read its pine needles. Oh, its so good, who could imagine i would love some pine notes in my tea. Anyway, its a Christmas season tea, its not available right now. I can wait. My stash is huge anyway.
Btw, today is Steven Smith Bday, they offer 15% off(doesnt happen often) the code is Happy Birthday Steve
resteep was surprisingly good. More pine came thru. at 4 min