White Peony (Bai MuDan) Tea

White Tea
Flowers, Grass, Hay, Honey, Sour, Sweet
Edit tea info Last updated by adagio breeze

2 Images

• “Ok, so yesterday I was sipping the organic silver needle and loving it, but I thought to myself, I’m not sure I can tell the difference between it and the white peony. I didn’t want to do a side by...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1581 tasting notes
  • “I found another sample packet of this from Teavivre and chucked the whole thing in to steep since my daughter visited tonight and wanted to have tea together. This was refreshing...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 2062 tasting notes
  • “Thankyou to Angel and TEAVIVRE for this wonderful sample! Dry smell: tastes like sweet hay and fresh grass Taste: I still taste the hay a little bit but there is certainly...” Read full tasting note
    tigress_al 818 tasting notes
  • “This will be a sipdown when I return from Europe, as I have one sample pack left. At first I thought I wasn’t really going to be into this tea this afternoon. By smell it was very hayish and...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 2182 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Fuding, Fujian, China

Ingredients: Tea buds covered in white hairs, with one or two new leaves

Harvest time: April 22, 2014

Taste: A delicate, slightly flowery, sweet, lingering taste

Brew: 2-3 teaspoons for 8oz of water. Brew at 194 ºF (90 ºC) for 1 to 2 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: Just like Silver Needle white tea, White Peony tea undergoes minimal processing and so it retains all the antioxidants, vitamins and minerals that all white teas are renowned for.

About Teavivre View company

Found this as extra from my sample packet with couple others, that made my day so thank you Teavivre.
“My first…” – saga continues as this is my first unflavoured white tea, yay.
Smells like sweet hay and flowers, looks like shrivelled leaves. As white tea is supposed to be. Dry leaves are picked with bud and one to two leaves -method, couple branches can be found. Leaves are greenish-white color, dark and pale greens can be found, most of them are covered with thin white hair.
I used 1dl gaiwan and about 3-5g of tea (I don’t have scale). Liquid color varies from pale yellow to orange-yellow. Wet leaves has brownish-green color and that white hair is no more to be found. Aroma is flowery, sweet hay with grass like scent.
First steep (25s) has that usual sweet hay taste with some grassiness and flowers, color is pale yellow it might have some honey in it. Next steep is more darker color and has more sour and grassy taste in it. Third steep has more hay flavour, hay and grass almost take turns with every steep, all steeps still has that lingering sweet taste. Final steeps start to lose the hay and sour grassy flavours, but more delicate flavours like flower and sweet emerge. Overall I’m pretty pleased with this tea, it’s nicely calming at the evening and suits to cold early winter/autumn.

Flavors: Flowers, Grass, Hay, Honey, Sour, Sweet

195 °F / 90 °C 0 min, 30 sec 5 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Sent samples of the Spring harvest of this tea by the generous Teavivre, am clearly ungraciously late in my review.

I admit I have a very hard time with straight white teas, because I don’t find they taste like much. I would even rather prefer a vegetal type of green tea instead.

This one smelled pleasant and haylike in the bag.

Tonight when drinking it. I admit I am surprised to report that I was tasting something slightly haylike, yet still refreshing somehow, and juicy?? Maybe like a tiny hint of peaches or honey.

Nice to see my tastebuds are improving slightly!

I will keep working on my white tea tastes.

Thank you Angel!

Just a newbie to the tea world and what really got me hooked on teas is jasmine green tea. I thought to give this one a try but it’s not really my favorite. The flavors are not as aromatic as the jasmine green tea…but I don’t feel like I know enough about tea to really compare it well. Just wanted to give my two cents. :D

Flavors: Flowers

This tea is very mellow, not strong at all. It smells delicious and taste wonderful with a little bit of honey added. Thank you Teavivre.

I’ve tried several White Peony varieties lately, and this is one of the better ones. Thank you, RogersCK for the sample!

It is very similar to Adagio’s White Symphony. It is fuller-bodied than many other white teas I’ve tried, but still very smooth with no astringency or bitterness. Like the White Symphony, it’s slightly sweet with a hint of nectar that reminds me of the nectar we sucked out of field clover as a child (I’m guessing this is probably what many describe as honeysuckle).

I steeped at 185 degrees for about two minutes (maybe slightly longer – I like a bolder taste) and added just under 1 tsp of table sugar.

Edited to add: Second steep – even better than the first! Brews to a deeper golden color and the flavor is even a touch more robust. I could be way off here as it’s been a while since I’ve had black tea, but the flavor almost reminds me of a good English Breakfast (but far more delicate).

Yellowish orange in color with the aroma of hay. The hay flavor hits you right away, it has a sweet taste and a little bit of cucumber flavor at the end.

190 °F / 87 °C