Yunnan Rose Dragon Ball Black Tea

Origin:
Rose - Kunming City, Yunnan Province, China
Tea - Pu’er City, Yunnan Province, China

Plucking Standard: One bud with one leaf

Dry Leaf: Hand rolled into ball-like shape covered with a few golden tips, each ball is roughly 8-9 grams

Aroma: Strong rose flower aroma

Liquor: Bright orange-red color

Taste: Combining a well-balanced taste of black and rose flower tea, it tastes smooth and mellow with a hint of bitterness.

Tea Bush: Yunnan large-leaf tea species (over 80 years old)

Tea Garden: Jiu Tai Po Tea Garden

A tea that is convenient for you to carry out, especially for ladies who work in the offices. By drinking it, you can get both of the full benefits from black and rose herbal tea.

About Teavivre View company

Another Friday, another sample from Teavivre to try. Things are looking up.

These “dragon ball” teas are pretty cool. This one was individually wrapped in clear cellophane and fastened with a little baggy tie. It was a tightly rolled ball of dark leaves and pinkish flowers about the size of a gumball. The unbrewed knob had a pronounced tea smell with a slightly rose/flowery accent.

I followed the instructions on the silver sample package and brewed the ball for five minutes at 195 degrees. The package actually said 194 degrees but 195 was the closest my One Touch Tea Maker could get. What’s one degree between friends anyway?

The steeped liquor had a bright gold color. The odor was very much like its unbrewed incarnation: tea with a rosy accent.

The taste was completely consistent with its smell, before and after brewing. The tea flavor was full-bodied and robust, yet it was remarkably smooth. A rose bud undertone melded into the taste perfectly. This was a relief for me as I am often overwhelmed by flowery-tasting teas. There also was the presence of a sweet attribute to round out the extremely harmonious blend. I did not detect any astringency and the aftertaste was quite light and pleasant. If the 195-degree liquid temperature hadn’t been capable of producing blisters on my gullet, I would have chugged my cup down even faster than I did.

This is another outstanding tea from Teavivre that I can easily recommend. It worked extremely well for me with my breakfast but I’m sure it would also be a fantastic lunch or mid-day selection as well.

Flavors: Rose, Sweet, Tea

195 °F / 90 °C 5 min, 0 sec 16 OZ / 473 ML

Samples provided for review. Thank you, Angel! This review is based on the second session.

Brewed with a gongfu session, in a 120ml porcelain gaiwan. The dragon ball weighed 9.7g. I used 190 degree and then 200 degree water since my kettle does have a 195 setting. I gave the ball a rinse and a quick rest to open up. Steeping times are pulled from the website: 25 seconds, 20, 10, 15, 20, 30, 40, 80 (etc.)

The dry leaf aroma has notes of rose and typical Dian Hong (malt and chocolate). After I let the ball sit in the pre-heated gaiwan for a bit, I smell freshly baked brownies – incredibly fresh. Makes me want to make brownies. The wet leaf, in order from strongest to weakest, smells of rose, malt, and brownies. As the session when on, an allspice note took over.

The liquor, a clear golden orange, has a full body and smooth texture. The flavor doesn’t evolve; it’s constant. Comparing this to the loose rose-scented Dian Hong that Teavivre also carries, the dragon ball is much more balanced. The rose doesn’t overwhelm the typical Dian Hong notes, which are, again, malt and chocolate, plus a hint of allspice and black pepper. It’s as if the rose is naturally steeped from the leaf rather than an addition. Speaking more the Dian Hong’s overall quality, it’s a very nice quality. Very few broken leaves or buds. It’s delicious, clean, and comforting. Additionally, whole rose buds and petals are pressed into the ball. WHOLE. I like that touch.

I’m not very big on rose when it comes to the tea and flower combination. It’s OK. I do, however, adore Dian Hong. Since I’ve sampled both the dragon ball and the loose leaf, I can say that I prefer the dragon ball. I felt like the rose-scented loose leaf comes off as overpowering. If you prefer a flower “flavored” tea in which the flower isn’t too strong, this is something to try.

However, as someone who watches caffeine intake, I don’t like the idea of dragon balls much because there are so many grams crammed into one piece. Both of these dragon balls provided weighed nearly 10 grams – double my typical maximum. Another thing to consider. At least with the loose leaf I can control leaf amount more easily.

Thanks again for the samples, Teavivre! I’ve seen so many recent Teavivre tasting notes lately! I’m glad they’re doing so well. This tea is divine not so much for the rose but for the black tea. As soon as I opened the sphere from the cute wrapping with little pink stars, the scent of the dry leaves was so syrupy sweet. I knew I’d love this one. There is such a surprising amount of leaves left in the basket after steeping — at least 3/4 basket full of lovely black tea and ENTIRE ROSES. At least two whole roses! How ever did they fit? The flavor is so tasty, even though there are only hints of rose flavor, if some of you are intimated by too much rose. The flavor of the black tea is deep yet very syrupy sweet just like I love the perfect Yunnan to be. Though there seems like a lot of leaves in the basket, the flavor definitely isn’t overdone. All three steeps are delicious yet never astringent. It could be the amount of flowers to black tea or the difference in steeping, but I think this tea seems different than the Jasmine Dragon Ball, even if it might be the same black tea. I didn’t notice the sweetness with the Jasmine Dragon Ball that I notice here. Though the Jasmine Dragon Ball doesn’t look as gold as the Rose, so that must be where the sweetness is from. I love a good Yunnan!
Steep #1 // 1 piece for a full mug// 10 minutes after boiling // 3-4 minute steep
Steep #2 // few minutes after boiling // 3-4 minute steep
Steep #3 // just boiled // 4 minute steep
Harvest: 2016

Forefront flavour of tea is a bit flat. I am detecting notes of candy licorice sweetness.

195 °F / 90 °C 4 min, 0 sec 13 OZ / 375 ML

when are you home again?

Well hello Steepster, it’s been a long time again! Since my last note I’ve been to Japan and back, which was absolutely amazing and I wish I was still there, and had delicious tea, partook in a tea ceremony and bought copious amounts of tea and a new matcha bowl for myself haha. But that can be for a different note, today it is the last day of bitterly frigidly cold temperatures before a MASSIVE warm up (from – 20 C to -1..overnight) so I had to have a cozy black tea today as it’s been way too long since I’ve had a good black tea!

This tea came to me as a free sample from the ever generous Angel at Teavivre, thank you so much for your kindness to send me this tea to sample!! I opened up the sample expecting a few small pearls, but there was one giant tea ball in it (large in comparison what I’m used to anyways haha) in the cutest little wrapper. Love how it looks!

The dry smell is so sweet and seductive, wow! I was reading about the roses used in this tea and I agree that they are much different than other roses I’m used to in tea, this tea was much sweeter than rose smelling, however the floral note is still there, just luxuriously sweet, so interesting! I decided to steep it Western Style as I want a cozy mug, so I used 194 degree water and steeped for 3 minutes.

The resulting liquor is quite a dark rich red, and smells phenomenal, robust honeyed Yunnan black tea notes, with some grain notes.

As for the flavor, wow this seriously blew me away with the first sip. I have not had a good black tea in a long time, mostly due to my caffeine tolerance, but this is something else!! Bready, malty, and so much honey notes!! The rose is very subdued, it is mild but adding to the mouthfeel with a bit of dryness and that floral feel, hard to describe but it is definitely there. I can’t get over how much sweet honey there is in this, it’s like a floral honey really!! Wow. Also so far not hurting me for caffeine, my heart rate is super low drinking this and I feel great.

Overall this is a super delicious tea! Lots of honey, malt, a touch of floral, but not the rose you are thinking. If you have a fear of rosey, floral teas, this one might change your mind.

It’s also slightly romantic in a way to me, maybe because rose reminds me of my garden in the summer, and evokes fresh summer memories, but it’s making me feel sentimental. Could also have something to do with that today is mine and the bf’s 7 year dating anniversary :) a perfect tea for today! Wish he was home from work!

Quite pleasantly surprised by this tea, since I expect rose teas to be a bit overwhelming. Instead this was well-balanced and nourishing and the scent added to the tea leaf rather than covering it up. Ruby, woody flavors.

Thank you Angel at Teavivre for sending this my way as this is a lovely tea, both aesthetically and flavor wise. The leaves have been steeping for over a half hour and yet there is no astringency or bitterness whatsoever. Just smooth black tea with a hint of rose. Malty and floral with a hint of honey and a dash of pepper. It’s mellow and would be nice for those days when you just want something simple that you don’t need to really think about.

Yunnan Rose Dragon Ball Black Tea. By Teavivre.

Review:

Ru Yao dragon teapot gongfucha.

Dry leaf: sweet, musty.

Wet leaf: sweet, roses, spices, Beer (?)

1x short rinse.

Light steep; I taste/smell: (smell) slight spices. (Taste) light —→ spices, pepper, toasty.

Medium steep; I taste/smell: (smell) slight —> spices, roses. (Taste) light -→ roses, spices, toasty, pepper.

Heavy steep; I taste/smell: (smell) light —> pepper, roses, beer (?). (Taste) light roses. Medium to strong -→ pepper, spices, toasty, beer (?).

All in all an amazing tea! Nice aromas/tastes, decent cha qi. i rate a 100 even though i’m not much for black teas.

Where to buy: http://www.teavivre.com/rose-dragon-ball-black-tea/

Flavors: Musty, Pepper, Rose, Spices, Sweet, Toasty

200 °F / 93 °C 8 g 6 OZ / 165 ML

Well, last time I rambled I talked about my frustration with Ark, it seems that the internet’s really angry reaction to the canceling of the Halloween event made it very clear to the devs that this was a bad idea. So they delayed it, later this week I will get to play the event because I can’t quit this game, so I will play it. Of course, the delay of the event means that my plans for Halloween have been canceled so I have no idea what I am doing to celebrate today. Perhaps painting shall keep me occupied on this most spooky of days.

Today I am looking at an orb of goodness from Teavivre, their Yunnan Rose Dragon Ball, a tea after my own heart! Combining a Simao Dianhong with rose petals in a tightly rolled ball individually wrapped making it a really cute gift. Good for either western style brewing or gongfucha, it is a versatile tea, and since it is just tea and roses and no flavoring or oils you get pure rose taste and smell. It is no secret by now that I love roses in my hongcha, but often I find it has been blended with flavorings or oils and I prefer just straight up rose petals in my black tea. Unwrapping the ball and giving it a good sniffing, the aroma is quite pleasant. There are the obvious notes of rose, reminding me of rose water, gently sweet without being perfumey, along with cocoa, malt, and a touch of peanuts. The rose is not at all overwhelming and it is balanced with the notes of the Dianhong, which is good, frequently rose teas have overwhelming rose.

Such an elegant tea deserves an elegant gaiwan, so I used the audacious gold lady for this tea, it also works well since it is a larger gaiwan meaning more room for the ball to expand. The aroma after the first steep has notes of malt, cocoa, yams, peanuts, and gentle roses. The liquid is sweet, with notes of roses and honey giving it a nectar quality, along with cocoa and roasted peanuts. I find myself looking forward to drinking it!

This might be the most perfectly balanced rose Dianhong I have ever tried. The rose is gentle and light, never once overpowering the notes of the Dianhong, but also always being present so there is no mistaking it is a rose tea. That persistent rose note makes it suitable for someone like me who absolutely loves food and drink with a rose theme, but also making it suitable for someone who is only slightly a fan (like Ben, just an example.) Of course, it helps that the base Dianhong is enjoyable, smooth notes of malt and cocoa blend with yams and peanuts with a lingering honey finish. It is a classic Dianhong with all the familiar notes.

As is frequent with these teas that are tightly curled up into balls, the first steep is light, but the second steep is more intense, part of the reason a lot of people either have a longer than normal first steep or rinse the tea. Since I think rinsing would be a waste, in this case, I just go for a slightly longer steeping time. The second steep is still pretty intense compared to the first, stronger notes of all the ones present in the first steep, especially the rose and chocolate with lingering brown sugar and honey. I feel like this would be the perfect tea to drink on some romantic occasion, it just has that feel!

This tea goes for a LOT of steeps, I kept pulling flavor from this ball for a good twelve steeps, and at that point, I switched to just drinking straight from the gaiwan and refilling it as needed for several more refills. It was not a short-lived tea, definitely an all-day session, which was fine by me! There was not a ton of evolution between steeps, just light bit omnipresent roses and classic Dianhong notes til the very end. This tea evokes romance, summer gardens, and just general happiness, I greatly enjoyed my massively long session with it!

Blog and photo fun: http://ramblingbutterflythoughts.blogspot.com/2016/10/teavivre-yunnan-rose-dragon-ball-tea.html

ashmanra

I need this. So much.

MissLena

Just wrote my note on this and read yours and I totally agree about the romantic feel to the tea! Haha so weird how it does that :D