Taiwanese Wild Mountain Black

Black Tea Leaves
Almond, Cocoa, Fruity, Malt, Nuts, Spices, Toast, Vanilla, Blackberry, Brown Sugar, Burnt Sugar, Caramel, Pastries, Pleasantly Sour, Sage, Sweet, Butter, Cherry, Cinnamon, Cream, Dates, Grapes, Honey, Mineral, Pear, Plums, Raisins, Red Apple, Sugar, Wood, Red Fruits
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Whispering Pines Tea Company

• “Bah, I forgot to write a review on this yummy tea. Update on those people upstairs that caused 7 cop cars, ambulances and more to come to our unit. They were evicted. Apparently, the guy beating...” Read full tasting note
  • “Summer of 2018 Harvest Quick log: I’ve been deeply satisfied with this tea, and again, I am so glad I pre-ordered it. The notes are all top notch, especially the immense blackberry ones I get in...” Read full tasting note
  • “It’s time to get one of my few remaining August reviews out of the way. I think I finished my pouch of this tea either shortly before my injury or at the end of the month when I was about done...” Read full tasting note
  • “Found Whispering Pines Teas from a steepster member while I was looking for a quality tea to purchase. I decided on Jabberwocky. When it arrived I was so impressed with both Jabberwocky and...” Read full tasting note

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

Yes, this tea is a phoenix…a legendary black tea that left the market along with the company that used to sell it. Due to the many requests I had to find a tea similar to it, I made it my top priority to not just find a suitable replacement, but to seek out the original source. Nearly two years later, here we are: re-launching TWMB.

For those of you that are familiar with TWMB, this is the same tea, but of course a different harvest. You will be comforted once again by the magical experience that you miss. For the rest of you…

Imagine, if you will, taking fig newtons and drizzling them with melted cinnamon-butter and dark brown sugar, then putting them between two thin slices of sourdough toast and eating that. That’s essentially the flavor profile of TWMB. The rich honey-sweetness comes from leafhoppers — tiny little insects that bite the leaves, making the tea plant send healing sugars to the tips of the leaves. This tea is harvested in the summer months from wild growing mountain tea plants.

The aroma is absolutely incredible, with notes of dark dried fruit, toast, and honey, and the flavor is incredibly sweet and complex. Truly a magical tea!

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

Bah, I forgot to write a review on this yummy tea.

Update on those people upstairs that caused 7 cop cars, ambulances and more to come to our unit. They were evicted. Apparently, the guy beating the dog and his girlfriend wasn’t a tenant here and so because I called 911 on them, they were also busted for having extra pets (I didn’t know about that) and the guy wasn’t on the lease. So there ya go. It’s finally over and they are out. Looking forward to the next neighbors (not).

Back to the tea… Great tasting notes/reviews on this tea (which is why I purchased it) so I just wanted to put my two cents in. Lots of delicious notes. Fruits, nuts, cocoa with honey and caramel sweetness, malt and minerals. :D

Flavors: Almond, Cocoa, Fruity, Malt, Nuts, Spices, Toast, Vanilla

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 6 g 4 OZ / 110 ML
Kittenna

Sometimes things just work out! Hopefully the new neighbors will be pleasant or at least, not annoying.

Kawaii433

I sure hope so :D.Thank you for the good and positive thoughts, Kittenna!

Evol Ving Ness

I’ve had 18 years of good neighbours and just 3 of the crappy ones, so there’s that. Hope the next ones are either normal or better.

Kawaii433

Thanks Evol Ving Ness… Here’s hoping to good neighbors. That pretty good odds right there. hehe

Summer of 2018 Harvest

Quick log: I’ve been deeply satisfied with this tea, and again, I am so glad I pre-ordered it. The notes are all top notch, especially the immense blackberry ones I get in the tea. The minerals are also thickly sprinkled in like caramelized sugar crystals. I also get a little bit of a spicy sage or blackberry leaf note in the accents amidst its malty fruitiness, though the tea does have a savory quality bordering on a refined desert. Brenden’s description of funnel cake and pastries is also apt, especially the fig descriptor. My mom was close to stealing my cup of this one because it was so sweet and satisfying.

Easteaguy’s notes does this one the most justice, so I’ll leave this note here as a quick experience and recommendation. It is a little pricey, but it’s not too far off from similar teas I’ve had that were more expensive, very few of which were cheaper. I’ve only had this tea western so far and can vouch its durability for five cups straight. I’ve yet to do it gong fu. I’ll write a more detailed note in the future. Other teas await, after all.

Flavors: Blackberry, Brown Sugar, Burnt Sugar, Caramel, Malt, Pastries, Pleasantly Sour, Sage, Sweet, Toast

It’s time to get one of my few remaining August reviews out of the way. I think I finished my pouch of this tea either shortly before my injury or at the end of the month when I was about done recovering. I recall it taking awhile for me to get used to this tea. I was expecting something a lot more boisterous and powerful, but instead got something that was very layered and sophisticated with tremendous depth and complexity.

I prepared this tea gongfu style. After a quick rinse, I steeped 6 grams of loose tea leaves in 4 ounces of 203 F water for 5 seconds. This infusion was followed by 15 additional infusions. Steep times for these infusions were as follows: 7 seconds, 9 seconds, 12 seconds, 16 seconds, 20 seconds, 25 seconds, 30 seconds, 40 seconds, 50 seconds, 1 minute, 1 minute 15 seconds, 1 minute 30 seconds, 2 minutes, 3 minutes, and 5 minutes.

Prior to the rinse, the dry tea leaves produced aromas of honey, plum, raisin, and cinnamon. After the rinse, I detected aromas of malt, toast, caramel, roasted almond, and blackberry. The first infusion allowed hints of cream and butter to shine through on the nose. In the mouth, the tea liquor offered notes of malt, cream, honey, raisin, plum, blackberry, roasted almond, date, and black grape that were accented by hints of butter. Subsequent infusions saw cocoa, pear, sweet cherry, date, vanilla, and black grape aromas emerge. In the mouth, I found belatedly emerging impressions of cinnamon, toast, and caramel accompanied by notes of minerals, wood, cocoa, pear, vanilla, sweet cherry, red apple, and powdered sugar. The final few infusions emphasized lingering notes of minerals, malt, wood, and cream that were underscored by delicate impressions of roasted almond, blackberry, raisin, and honey.

This was an incredibly nice Taiwanese black tea. There is not much more I can say about it. If you are looking for a black tea that offers wonderful aromatics as well as tremendous flavor, body, and texture, then this is your tea.

Flavors: Almond, Blackberry, Butter, Caramel, Cherry, Cinnamon, Cocoa, Cream, Dates, Grapes, Honey, Malt, Mineral, Pear, Plums, Raisins, Red Apple, Sugar, Toast, Vanilla, Wood

6 g 4 OZ / 118 ML

Found Whispering Pines Teas from a steepster member while I was looking for a quality tea to purchase. I decided on Jabberwocky. When it arrived I was so impressed with both Jabberwocky and Blackbear teas that I purchased two more teas. The second order I purchased the Taiwanese Wild Mountain Black tea. Was I glad I did. This tea blew me away with the first taste. A sweet tea without sweetener of any kind? A surprise indeed. Yes, Jabberwocky is an excellent tea and Blackbear has a wonderful smoky taste, but I think the Wild Mountain Black is my favorite from Whispering Pines. Just ordered more today.

Flavors: Honey, Plums, Red Fruits, Toast