drank Butter Rum by 52teas

I had this bag since summertime and I barely touched it. I had tried one cup while camping, it was not good, so I left it on the shelf since. Its sister, the “butter brandy cake” was terrible. So terrible, in fact, that I …. Got rid of it. It was so chemical and awful. So there’s a few bucks I’ll never get back. I even tried airing it out, as someone suggested (suggestion was based on feedback and comments from here) and still no go.

Given this butter brandy cake experience I am sure nobody would blame me for fearfully avoiding this bag. Well, it seems I avoided it long enough for it to get to the point where it is ok tasting. Reading through notes here I see someone mentioning “curing” the tea. I’m assuming curing is kinda like airing it out?!?

I’m glad the bag is finally working because I’m out of all butter rum from DAVID and I’m running really low on SoHo blend from Harney, so now I have an entire bag of butter rum just in time for winter.

It still has a hint of something I don’t like but it really is just a hint, I can easily ignore it especially with a fixin’ of Demerara and vanilla creamer. Fixed just so it is indeed a good cup.

Used DAVID’s perfect spoon for 8 oz water that I allowed to cool to 204F after boiling. Just over two minutes. No astringency and good aroma.

(ETA: wow factor increases with a splash of Gibson’s Finest rye)

Dexter3657

LOL booze makes everything better….

MissB

So, for rum-flavored teas, you’re recommending DAVID’s and SoHo? Any others? I have a Jamaican friend amazed at the idea there’s such a thing as rum-flavored teas, and I’d love to introduce him to some of the better ones (having yet to try one myself).

Nxtdoor

MissB, DAVID’s Buttered Rum (organic) was one of the very first loose leaf teas I’ve tried so I suspect I’ll always remember how delicious it seemed to me. Later I explored more but I never forget my first loves. SoHo blend, interestingly enough is not a rum tea per se but to me the blend of chocolate and coconut gave it a similarity to rum notes. If you probably taste them side by side they are different. I’d be wrong to call soho a rum tea even though it tastes like one to me.

Fjellrev

SoHo definitely makes me think of Malibu.

Dexter3657

MissB I LOVE SoHo – not sure I would have thought rum – but for sure tasty.
I’m hoping that the banana rum pecan keemun that I concocted from Design a Tea is all that I’m anticipating it to be…

MissB

Ooh. Excellent! Excited to try these, AND to hear about your Design a Tea teas, Dexter!

Comments

Dexter3657

LOL booze makes everything better….

Nxtdoor

Fjellrev

SoHo definitely makes me think of Malibu.

Dexter3657

MissB I LOVE SoHo – not sure I would have thought rum – but for sure tasty.

MissB

Formerly a mathematician, I’m a chef and a wine lover with a trained palate but find that I lack the linguistic prowess for tea tasting notes. Now there’s something to learn!

Toronto Canada