drank Salted Caramel by DAVIDsTEA

So, I’m currently watching an episode of Bones (the one that aired last night) called “Carrot in the Kudzu” and while typing the name of this blend into the search bar I typed in “Salted Carrot” and it took me an embarrassingly slow time to figure out why the search results were not yielding the correct type.

Also, my kitchen smells AMAZING; there are brownies going in the over and they just smell so divine! I had a thought while making them, though and I’d like to pose it to people here on Steepster: Do you think you could infuse cooking oil with tea through cold brewing it? And then, how concentrated do you think it would have to be to really affect the flavour of what you’re baking? I was considering making something like an “Earl Grey Brownie” or maybe something more caramel flavoured, like this blend perhaps.

Anyway; short steep time for this blend is key! And thankfully, I nailed it. There’s a lovely “burnt caramel/brown sugar” flavour along with the black tea and none of the massive amounts of bitterness that comes with this blend when you oversteep it. Also no salt – but I’m not complaining on that front.

The little “salt floaties” are maybe a bit annoying though; I can sort of feel their presence in the mouthfeel.

aisling of tea

I’ve both infused tea in butter and made butter using tea-infused milk. I’ve made earl’s garden scones and such. Try looking up different ways of infusing pot into butter/oil, it’s the same principle. And here’s a link to my scones recipe: http://aislingoftea.wordpress.com/tag/zing-me-scones/

I don’t think you can infuse the flavor with a cold brew, but if you warm the oil and cook it for a bit, it might work?

Comments

aisling of tea

Growing up, the only tea I ever drank was bagged mint tea (especially peppermint), and mint still remains a staple flavour for me. Spearmint is my favourite. At this point in my ‘tea career’ I heavily lean towards flavoured blends; doesn’t matter if they’re fruity, chocolate, sweet, savory, etc. Blacks are my favourite as far as flavoured blends go, with whites a close second. I really enjoy everything but straight Greens though, but I’ll try anything once even if I am wary.

My favourite fruit flavours in blends are cranberry, banana, pear, lychee, melon, passion fruit and especially pineapple. I am also always excited to try anything with Saskatoon Berries, which are delicious and also my city’s namesake. I have a huge weakness towards toffee/caramel and coconut teas and a bit of a soft spot in regard to black licorice. I also adore anything creamy. I am always up for trying soda inspired blends as well because the concept fascinates me. I want to try all the Rootbeer teas! I am also currently trying to try as many Sweet Potato blends as possible.

Tastes I strongly dislike are ginger and raisins. Really, those are the only two things I intentionally avoid. I also have mixed feelings about peaches, mangoes, lemongrass, and chamomile.

In regard to straight teas, I haven’t been nearly as adventurous. I’ve yet to really explore any straight oolongs, except Milk Oolongs which weren’t really for me. In general, I really like straight black teas, especially when they have strong baked bread or malt notes. I like most straight whites, but I have a preference for silver needle teas over other types. Green teas, with the exception of Genmaicha and some Hojicha, make me feel a bit sick and I often can’t finish the cup. I can handle flavoured matcha like Red Leaf Tea sells – but straight matcha is a definite “no go”. I recently survived my first Pu’erh, and it was an alright, maybe borderline enjoyable, experience.

The ratio of cold brewed and hot tea I drink is about 50/50. As far as my cup sizes go, all my daily cold brews are done in a 25 oz. mason jar and my other mugs are 12 oz. with the exception of my Adeline infuser mug which is 16 oz. Unless otherwise specified, these are the cup sizes for all teas I review.

I prefer to drink my tea without adding anything to it, and 9/10 times that will be how I first try a blend. My belief is that milk, sugar or whatever else you add to your tea should be used to enhance an already good flavour: if the tea needs something added to it to taste good then it’s probably not good tea to begin with. The exception is Matcha; I always have my matcha whisked either into cold milk or club soda as “Matcha soda” depending on which way the flavour will be best suited. My roommate, Tre, has a very different philosophy in regard to tea, and that’s to always drown out his cup in sugar – even before tasting to see if it needs any. That’s why I don’t let him drink the good stuff ;)

The other important person in my life is my friend Robyn.

Some brief “IRL” interests: Clay/Sculpture (or visual arts in general), Improv, Mythology, Big Brother (USA and CA), and an absurdly large amount of TV shows – geeky or otherwise.

Saskatoon, SK, Canada