Pu Erh Chorange

Pu-erh Tea
Chocolate, Orange, Sweet
Edit tea info Last updated by daisypies
Boiling 4 min, 45 sec 9 oz / 266 ml

• “Sil posting her tealog of this reminded me that I have some too, and I'm really feeling the pu-erhs these days. So, I wanted to give it another try. Unfortunately, I too only got orange out of it....” Read full tasting note
    MissB_Tea 1114 tasting notes
  • “this is an interesting tea, sent my way by *Kallieboo!* it smells heavenly! orange, chocolatey goodness and likely something i would have picked myself. Steeped though, it loses the chocolate...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4889 tasting notes
  • “Today is day number four of Pu Erh week and I feel like doing something festive in celebration of it being very cold and slowly creeping closer to Christmas. I made myself a nice little Perler...” Read full tasting note
    SoggyEnderman 339 tasting notes
  • “So far this is the most earthy of the flavored puerhs from Adagio that I've tried. This one you can actually taste the puerh in with the orange with a bit of chocolate in the background. Very...” Read full tasting note
    JohnGrebe 223 tasting notes

From Adagio Teas

Rich chocolate and sweet orange bring a confectionary note to the gentle earthiness of pu erh. Lively citrus lifts the blend while the warm chocolate and easygoing pu erh are grounding and smooth. Reminiscent of a favorite treat.

Steep at 212° for 5 minutes

About Adagio Teas View company

Sil posting her tealog of this reminded me that I have some too, and I’m really feeling the pu-erhs these days. So, I wanted to give it another try. Unfortunately, I too only got orange out of it. Light, juicy orange, yet still just orange. There’s a bit of a dryness to it that I could attribute to chocolate, but it’s faint.

this is an interesting tea, sent my way by Kallieboo! it smells heavenly! orange, chocolatey goodness and likely something i would have picked myself. Steeped though, it loses the chocolate flavour and becomes more of an orange puerh. While that doesn’t bother me, it’s not quite what it claims to be. It IS a decent puerh though and one that i wouldn’t turn down. I like that the flavouring doesn’t overpower the puerh taste and that the puerh is a deep earthy sort of taste. Overall a decent cup of tea, though i wish it was a little more chocolate orange instead of just being orange. ")

Yvonne

Drool.

Today is day number four of Pu Erh week and I feel like doing something festive in celebration of it being very cold and slowly creeping closer to Christmas. I made myself a nice little Perler Christmas Tree and had a bit of Pu Erh that does the best impersonation of a Christmas Time favorite that I have ever seen.

Pu Erh Chorange by Adagio teas has a wonderful portmanteau name and that makes me happy. Part of the Terra Sampler pack (and The Boo Erh Giveaway mentioned at the start of the week) it is a blend of Chocolate, Pu Erh, Oranges, and Blue Cornflowers. I will be honest, I have no idea why the cornflowers are there, they do not really match the aesthetic, but I am just being picky. The aroma is astoundingly similar to one of my favorite things about Christmas, the Chocolate Orange ball. Ever had one of them, they are a ball shaped like and orange that you bang onto something hard and it splits into ‘orange’ wedges of orange flavored chocolate. They are addictive and this tea smells just like one. At first all I noticed was the blending of chocolate and orange but the more I snuffled around in the tea (yes, you can think of a pig rooting for truffles) the more I noticed an earthy aroma letting me know that it was a Pu Erh and not an impostor.

Giving the tea a nice steeping brings out more earthy aromas with a hint of loam along with the potent orange and chocolate. The tea is very bright, if an aroma can light up a room and make it more cheerful, this one would do it. The liquid is very citrus heavy and sweet with milder notes of chocolate and earthiness.

The first thing I noticed was, wow, that is a smooth tea! The flavor, the mouthfeel, everything about it is smooth, I have a similar reaction when stuffing chocolate orange wedges in my mouth so the similarity continues. The taste blends chocolate and oranges together very well, it is balanced which can be hard with such dominating flavors, but what about the Pu Erh? No worries, it is there, it sneaks in at the very end of the midtaste and blooms into a delightful earthy flavor as an aftertaste and leaves a lingering sweetness. Out of curiosity I added a touch of cream, it surprisingly did not curdle (yay!) but didn’t really add much to the tea. As the tea cools it does get a touch earthier with a bit of a mineral taste. I think I just found my new Christmas cheer tea!

For blog and photos (and a Christmas Tree): http://ramblingbutterflythoughts.blogspot.com/2013/12/adagio-teas-pu-erh-chorange-tea-review.html

So far this is the most earthy of the flavored puerhs from Adagio that I’ve tried. This one you can actually taste the puerh in with the orange with a bit of chocolate in the background. Very interesting, not something that I would go out of my way to buy again but I am giving it a higher rating for being the first chocolate flavored tea that I’ve encountered that wasn’t horrible.

The chocolate and orange flavouring was not bad, but overpowering, and the scent was difficult to remove from my infuser afterwards. The pu-erh seemed to have no flavour at all. I plan to give this another chance at some point, but for now I’m quite glad it was in a free sampler.

This tea smells amazing. Opening the bag, I’m overwhelmed by the scent of rich chocolate and hints of orange. The Pu Erh is overpowered by the aromas of the flavorings. As usual, I’m not sure what the blue cornflowers are doing in there. Do these things smell or taste like anything? I’ve never known them to.

As I brew the cup, the liquid is dark, rich, reddish brown. It’s a lovely color and like most Pu Erh I’ve tried, it gets much darker as I let it set longer. I brewed this according to the package directions this time, so 5 minutes with boiling water.

I put a bit of sugar in my cup and sipped the very warm tea. It’s so vivid! The taste of chocolate and orange assault my mouth with a sweetness lacking any bitter flavor. The Pu Erh is a subtle companion to the stronger flavorings used, but still present and tasty.
I add a bit more sugar to wake up the chocolate flavor and it is a total win. Sweet, this tea is a treat. I almost feel I should be having it for desert. In the future, I may have to do just that.

I would say if you like chocolate and orange together, you’ll love this tea, hands down. It’s the strongest flavor I’ve had with a Pu Erh so far and it’s delightful.

I saved it for resteeping this morning and its potency is every bit as strong as the night before. I brewed it for 2 minutes and it was already dark so I went ahead and poured it in my cup. The flavor is as strong and bold and awake as it was last night. I am impressed with how potent it was with such a short resteeping time. If anything, the flavor is bolder.
I wonder how many cups I could make of this, but at the same time I wonder how many I want. It’s not that the tea isn’t good— it’s delightful— it’s that I am not sure I want this much desert!

I would say it’d be a delightful tea to share with someone so you can brew it, then let them resteep it, and ping pong it back and forth haha. :) Unless you could enjoy this much desert in a row. I bet it’d resteep 1-2 more times really well.

Flavors: Chocolate, Orange, Sweet

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Hmm…I wasn’t expecting much out of this – since I wasn’t really in the mood for an orange tea – but I’ll admit I was pleasantly surprised by how delightfully chocolate it is. Right after brewing it smells almost exactly like a tootsie roll and there’s enough rich chocolate flavour in the cup to make good on that promise.

Not to say that the orange doesn’t flavour prominently in this cup, also – there’s a definite citrus-orange note in the middle of each mouthful – but there’s also a smoky (almost chalky) hint that catches you right at the end that’s almost unpleasant.

My main complaint with this cup is actually that the pu erh is hardly noticeable amidst the layers of flavouring. This is a shame since I actually enjoy the nuance in some pu erhs…but overall the cup is an enjoyable one.

Boiling 5 min, 15 sec 1 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML

This tea is delicious! It is very orangey but the chocolate flavor is still apparent, making it taste just like dessert!

I love this tea. It smells and tastes like a chocolate orange.