Sultan's Delight

Chinese Black Tea, Figs, Sesame
Edit tea info Last updated by Dinosara

• “More sample finishing in the lead-up to my drink-through-every-tea-in-my-cupboard-from-oldest-to-newest marathon (I need some snappier name for that, haha). I am thinking that will start Monday....” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 1851 tasting notes
  • “I'm finishing off this sample that arrived a while ago. You really get a lot of fig flavor in this blend, much more than sesame or even tea flavor! It's quite a bit on the sweet side and very...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2170 tasting notes
  • “my American Tea Room order arrived whooo, and dudes, this tea is kinda mind blowing. it's waggling it's eyebrows at me. idek. i have SO MANY samples to try. it's nuttiness is really something...” Read full tasting note
    shmiracles 720 tasting notes
  • “This tea smells unbelievable dry and steeping--it has hints of the same intense treatiness as Brioche (though less yeasty bakery, granted), with this roasted nuttiness (sesame, yum) and smokiness...” Read full tasting note
    ifjuly 609 tasting notes

From American Tea Room

A flavorful blend of Chinese black tea, dates, figs and sesame make this tea a sweet and nutty delight to taste. The deep aroma of this wonderful brew transports you to a fragrant evening on the Bosphorus.

About American Tea Room View company

I like this one pretty, but I don’t think it will be a reorder for me as I just don’t really find myself super excited about it. When I drink it, it’s good, but the smell of the dry leaf (and somewhat the steeped tea) is a little smokier than I prefer. It doesn’t really translate to the flavor (I have a low tolerance for smokiness) but all the same, it diminishes my enjoyment ever so slightly. But otherwise its a nice nutty, figgy tea that successfully gives off a middle-eastern/north african vibe.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML
Tea Sipper

Fun project! I’m doing the “try all the new-to-me teas so I know what to give away” project. Or sipdowns. :D

I’m finishing off this sample that arrived a while ago. You really get a lot of fig flavor in this blend, much more than sesame or even tea flavor! It’s quite a bit on the sweet side and very interesting to try, I just don’t think it’s something I would bother to keep on hand for myself. It definitely makes a nice afternoon tea, or perhaps after dinner with a few cookies for dunking.

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Amanda Wilson

Ooh I need to add this to my shopping list, I am constantly hunting a fig tea that tastes like figs! They are my favorite fruit :)

TeaBrat

then you need to try this!

my American Tea Room order arrived whooo, and dudes, this tea is kinda mind blowing. it’s waggling it’s eyebrows at me. idek.

i have SO MANY samples to try.
it’s nuttiness is really something to behold. fig spread on sesame crackers.

i can’t wait to try all the samples. what else is new.

awesome!!! i really like that you can get a few cups out of their samples too :)

Fjellrev

Happy sampling!

Shmiracles

okay, it’s almost midnight and it’s Olivia’s 1 yr bday party at my house and i’ve been alternating tea cups and craft beer all night. Olivia had a great night and so did i. (but now this introvert has stolen to her room and is catching up on some SPN episodes yo.)

Shmiracles

oh duh, what i wanted to say was that i reached unique beer tasting number 600 tonight.

Fjellrev

I wish I’ve been keeping count of how many craft beers I’ve tried so bar, but I’m nowhere near you. Congrats!

This tea smells unbelievable dry and steeping—it has hints of the same intense treatiness as Brioche (though less yeasty bakery, granted), with this roasted nuttiness (sesame, yum) and smokiness and fig mix that is just heavenly (kinda like part Toasted Fig and part Coco-Loco), and that “Chinese tea perfume” element. Also, I must be imagining it but somehow I also get a faint impression of fennel/anise/licorice root, very subtle. Dang. I keep thinking I should be able to get by with only one or maybe two of ATR’s decadent flavored blends but the list of “must restock”s just keeps growing (Brioche, Coco-Loco, Tangier, Toasted Fig, Romanoff, now this…and that doesn’t include Nirvana Green, Coconut Oolong, and the floral EG takes like Victoria and Anastasia, or the Earl Grey Rooibos and Choco-late, ack). The taste isn’t as good as the smell, which happens a lot with ATR flavored teas hot, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it grows on me (I was initially disappointed with Tangier and Toasted Fig for not tasting as intense as the smell, but then adjusted my expectations and now I really enjoy them). I like how the fruit flavor once the tea cools a little really has that dimension figs and dates uniquely possess of tasting intensely/“narrowly” jammy/sugary, honeyish, but somehow in a puckery sort of way. It captures the mouthfeel of figs, that eventual mouth-drying aspect. Like tannins in wine. I think for many Steepsters this unusual astringency might not be welcome, so heads up.

I wish I liked fig because I taste a lot of fig and toasted nuts. Figs have never interested me; they always remind me of “healthy” cookies my grandmother would make. This tea has helped confirm that. I think next time I will make sure there is no dry fig and see how that goes. Thanks moraiwe for the sample, I’m glad I got a chance to try this.

I have to join the chorus of love for this blend. It’s crazy delicious, nutty, buttery, toasty, fruity. It reminds me of my early love for Celestial Seasonings Almond Sunset – but better! But here’s the thing. If you’re looking for tea taste, there isn’t too much of it here. This is a GREAT tea for beginning tea drinkers or those not sure how they feel about tea. But still very enjoyable for everyone else too.

This is delicious. The tea has a slight smokey flavor. The dates, figs, seseme, and almonds blend together subtly, and while I can sometimes pick out an individual flavor, the blended flavor is what underlies this tea.

This tea is a bit dry, but not unpleasantly. It seems to fit the smokiness.

This tea is lovely, and very evocative of an Arabian Nights-esque setting. Drinking this, the picture that forms in my mind is a smoky room, somewhere in the Middle East. Smoke from decanters floats in the air.

right off the bat thanks need to go to david and jeff at american tea room~ this order was fraught with ghosts in machines and almost didn’t happen. they worked very hard, also very honourably to ensure a smooth result despite hiccups. i appreciate your efforts hugely- thank you both.

this tea. wow! it’s completely named for the smell… exotic, nutty, dark fruit, no flowers at all. i almost didn’t want to drink the tea… i just wanted to sniff it.

the next stage of the testing process: does the smell hold up once water is added? it did! a 4-5 minute steep…. i didn’t want to wait. i paced, which probably looked funny because i’m a clutz on my legs (in my chair i’m just a threat/menace, lol).

i gave a minute or two…. blisters on the tongue not so much fun aaaaaaaand. what’s this? it does not taste like how it smells. what does it, what do i…. um…. hmmm.

this was the smell: https://blackstonemonastery.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/a-red-tent-temple.jpg?w=240&h=300

this is the taste: http://www.organicauthority.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/honeydew-melon-ccflcr-muffet.jpg

i was so confused! okay, i’ll admit- i stomped my foot a bit because i really wanted the tea to taste like that incredible smell!!!! and then i had to go to school for my last psych lab…. i couldn’t stop thinking about the tea i’d left behind. it was very smooth, not cloying or overpowering, really expertly balanced.

i’ve never had a tea remotely like it. the sesame is a perfect accompaniment… nutty but no bitterness like walnuts can sometimes lend.

very, very nice.

american tea room comes up with from remarkably unique blends- i find i don’t always like them, though i usually respect them. this one i both like and respect. i will buy again!

Sipdown!! (172)

Thank you NayLynn for the chance to try this tea. It is a really unique tea. I actually quite enjoy it for its one-of-a-kind flavor. Dates contribute a sweetness while the figs contribute a nice fruitiness. There is also a nuttiness that makes for a full flavor while sesame rounds everything out nicely. It is a great treat every now and again but I don’t think I would reach for it often enough to justify stocking it. I wouldn’t turn down a cup though :)

This smells like roasted almonds and it’s making me crave Bearclaw pastries! I really like the rich fig and toasted nut flavor. I added sugar (of course) it’s what I call “salt for tea” in that it always seems to enhance the flavors. It’s just the sweet desert tea that I was craving!

Thank you Moraiwe for sharing this with me!