Dark Choc Chilli Chai

Black Chai Blend
Chocolate, Cream, Honey
Edit tea info Last updated by Scheherazade

• “Had another go with this yesterday, while watching an old episode of The Vampire Diaries on DVD. When I made the first cup a few days ago, I kind of forgot what I was dealing with and treated it...” Read full tasting note
    Scheherazade 685 tasting notes
  • “Was hoping this Chili Chocolate Chai would offer me the spice I was looking for. Alas, it's the same as Della Terra's version: zero spice or heat to it. Still nice and creamy, just something other...” Read full tasting note
    MissB_Tea 941 tasting notes
  • “Ooooh it's a deep burn. Ohhhhhhh. This was a bonus treat from *Scheherazade* in our swap, so thank you! Woo! I don't often go for chocs or chais and I did end up regifting most of this sample to a...” Read full tasting note
    memily 313 tasting notes
  • “Thank you so much MissB! I've always wanted to try this one! Chocolate chili chai is always one of my ideal blends. YOWZA this is hot stuff though! The chili is really hiding in this...” Read full tasting note
    Tea Sipper 1093 tasting notes

From Bluebird Tea Co.

This award winning blend is our absolute favourite guilt free sweet treat!

Real chunks of decadent dark chocolate help melt away the day’s worries followed by a chilli kick to awaken your tastebuds!

Ceylon black tea, Cocoa shells, Cardamom, Cinnamon, Ginger, Cacao bean, Chocolate chips (sugar, cacao, emulsifier soya lecithin), Chilli, Flavour

About Bluebird Tea Co. View company

Had another go with this yesterday, while watching an old episode of The Vampire Diaries on DVD. When I made the first cup a few days ago, I kind of forgot what I was dealing with and treated it much as I would any other black tea. I was “rewarded” with a very strong chilli kick, which was almost a bit much. So today, I decided to try and remedy that a little and brewed this as a latte instead. I used quite a big cup, added an extra teaspoon of leaf (with some trepidation, admittedly), and used half as much water as I usually would. After about 5 minutes, I topped it up with some warmed milk.

It’s much better this way. The chilli is still there, but it’s a spicy warmth rather than a hot burn. The other flavours are also a little more prevalent — there’s more chocolate coming through, and some of the other spices, like the cinnamon and ginger, are making their presence known.

It’s nice to know that there are a couple of ways I can brew this, depending on the flavour profile I’m looking for. It’s equally reassuring to know that I can tone the chilli down into something pleasant, rather than a challenge. I feel more at home with this one now.

Was hoping this Chili Chocolate Chai would offer me the spice I was looking for. Alas, it’s the same as Della Terra’s version: zero spice or heat to it. Still nice and creamy, just something other than what I was looking for, or what it’s labelled as.

NayLynn

Sorry it was not what your looking for. I have not tried it myself but I’ve heard you can add cayenne pepper to teas like this that don’t have the kick you would expect. I’m not sure if that is a normal spice you would keep in house.

Ooooh it’s a deep burn. Ohhhhhhh. This was a bonus treat from Scheherazade in our swap, so thank you! Woo! I don’t often go for chocs or chais and I did end up regifting most of this sample to a friend who is a fan of such things, but I couldn’t resist taking just enough for myself to sample the once.

And then I did my wonderful work trick of forgetting about my still-steeping tea, and this oversteeped—for around 15mins. So it’s got a KICK to it, son! SHEESH. I tamed the beast with a teaspoon of sugar and a dollop of milk, and now I’m getting that creamy chocolatey taste and the chilli isn’t knocking me on my ass. Ooh, this would be good on a cold winter night (and they’re not too far around the corner for me).

Good job with this blend! And thanks again to Sarah for forcing me to try things I wouldn’t otherwise gravitate toward. The joy of tea strikes again!

Flavors: Chocolate, Cream, Honey

205 °F / 96 °C 8 min or more 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML
Nattie

Steepster was supposed to distract me from my work for no more than 10 minutes, and now I have to go and make myself a mug of this.
Look what you made me do!

Memily

Ahhhhhh I blame Sarah.

Thank you so much MissB! I’ve always wanted to try this one! Chocolate chili chai is always one of my ideal blends. YOWZA this is hot stuff though! The chili is really hiding in this blend…sneaks up on you! I’d definitely suggest not going over a teaspoon. (I went with a teaspoon and a half.) I like that this is actually spicy though. I just should have went with a teaspoon. I love that there are multiple chocolate elements here, including cocoa shells that I recently discovered in a Herbal Infusions blend (also thanks to MissB!) I think most chocolate teas should use these cocoa shells. They are very effective for chocolate flavor. I just wish there was more chocolate flavor. It must be hiding under all that spice! The second cup was very spicy too. I would even recommend getting some of Herbal Infusions cocoa shells, using maybe 3/4 teaspoon of the chili chai and then adding HI’s cocoa to cut down the heat and add more chocolate. This is comparable to 52Teas Mayan Chocolate Chai but I think they just use cocoa nibs. If Bluebird would just use a tastier black tea base, most of their blends would be perfect! It showcases the flavors well enough though.

MissB

Wow! I failed to get spice out of it, so I’m really glad you did, and that you loved it. :)

Tea Sipper

You must be used to the Kapha tea then… this one was probably hotter than that one!

MissB

Wow, really?! How I wish I’d gotten that kind of spice out of this, I likely would have ordered more.

The smell is very creamy and smells strongly of honey. There is no chocolate taste, though on some sips the chili hits the back of the throat and lingers in an unpleasant way. Thanks for the sample Nattie, but this tea wasn’t for me.

Flavors: Cream, Honey

Nattie

Aw no, I loved this one! Funny how different teas taste different to different people – I get a really strong chocolate taste from this one. Sorry to hear I gave you a funky tea! Hope you enjoy the others (:

Nattie

By the way, it’s so much fun hearing what you thought! (:

I drank this with the last of my cream, and it was heavenly. Smooth, thick, creamy chocolate like the best hot chocolate in the world. A real chilli kick behind it too, along with the spices, especially the ginger, to remind you that it’s a chai and not just a common hot chocolate. This was truly decadent, and the best way to drink this tea so far. The spices play around and seem to change up a bit, tasting slightly different in each mouthful. The chocolate taste is somehow more ‘real’ and present than in a lot of chocolate teas I’ve tried, and the chilli kick is also a lot more powerful than I was expecting. I did have one bad mouthful – somewhere around the half-way point of my mug, I got a mouthful which was very strongly cardamom, a flavour I don’t really like. This was a shock, as although it is present in a lot of chais, it usually just complement the other flavours. This was like a full on cardamom whack to the face, and took me a minute or two to steel myself enough to drink any more (which thankfully did not have the same strong cardamom punch). My favourite way to drink this chai so far, although I’m now thinking I should do it as a latte.

Apologies for the probably incoherent and definitely rambling tasting note – I wrote the first couple of lines hours ago, and it’s now almost 3AM and I’m super tired but can’t sleep. I hate it when my brain does that.

A side note – my mystery box from MissB arrived today! I didn’t expect to see it yet so was happily surprised, and then even more so when I saw the contents (which basically consisted of all wishlist items). Bonny has put so much thought into it I was really touched, and seriously felt like a kid at Christmas opening all my new teas and inspecting and sniffing each one. I’ve already tried a few of the teas I received, and will review some tomorrow hopefully. I was planning to today, but I’m too tired to do it justice.

Boiling 6 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 14 OZ / 400 ML

Gentleman is delayed on his drive up from Oxford for the weekend, so I’m killing time by making soup (slow-roasted tomato and chickpea; it’s SO GOOD, hot damn) and watching Portlandia. And I’m dressed and standing up all day, which is a major improvement on most of my days at home, which tend to be spent in bed and wearing an oversized sweatshirt in lieu of, like, actually looking like a human being.

Oh yeah, and this is today’s random selection from my exciting box of tea roulette. I decided to make it as a latte, because that’s how I like my chai, strong and chock full of soymilk. Not getting a lot of distinct chocolateyness from it prepared this way, which is the only reason I’ve rated it at less than 100. Because DAMN. This is good chai. I think the chocolate’s just giving it a bit of a creamy richness under the spice, where I’m getting a nice presence of cardamom and ginger. A definite heat from the chilli follows, leaving a lingering warmth. I like my chais spicy, so this is perfect for me. It’s like being hugged from the inside out.

carol who

Sounds great! I love a spicy chai too. Love cardamom, also.