Grape Expectations

Fruity, Grapes, Grass, Hay, Sugar
Medium
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by DAVIDsTEA

• “This was actually the only tea from the Spring line that I tried. I love it. I'm generally less of a fan of green teas because I find they are grassy and irritate my throat, but this one is just...” Read full tasting note
    B-Dot 37 tasting notes
  • “What a lovely smell. Almost matches the flavor. Speaking of flavor I did not like this hot. The sencha overpowered everything. But as it cooled off the grape came out nicely. ” Read full tasting note
    skysamurai 247 tasting notes
  • “Another sample from *Virginia*! This tea had a very subtle grape flavor, which I was not expecting based on my experience with DT's blueberry jam. I was grateful that it wasn't too overpowering. ...” Read full tasting note
    mj1851 217 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown (165/171)! From the fabulous *VariaTEA*. Upon smelling the dry leaf I knew that a cold brew was the way to go with this one: it smelled like Grape Smelly Markers or Grape Kool Aid, and to...” Read full tasting note
    roswellstrange 1684 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

The grape escape
We’ve fallen hard for this fresh, tangy, grape-filled blend. In fact, it’s David’s new favourite flavoured tea. Why does he love it so much? There’s just something so luxurious about it. With green tea perfumed with Muscat and concord grapes, it’s a drink fit for royalty. Just brewing a cup makes you feel like you’re floating on some fabulous yacht in the Mediterranean or along the French Riviera. Try it iced in champagne flutes for the full effect. Something tells us we’re into something grape. Limited edition.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

This was actually the only tea from the Spring line that I tried. I love it. I’m generally less of a fan of green teas because I find they are grassy and irritate my throat, but this one is just divine. It’s so sweet and juicy and flavorful. Additionally, the quality of the leaves is superior to many of the other green’s I’ve tried from David’s. The tea doesn’t bother my throat, and goes down very easy. I should really try this iced, I’ve only had it hot so far.
I actually just managed to snag another small tin of this at David’s today even though it’s been discontinued for a couple months, so if it doesn’t come back next year I’ll have my fix. =)

Flavors: Fruity, Grapes

160 °F / 71 °C 4 min, 30 sec 1 tsp

Another sample from Virginia! This tea had a very subtle grape flavor, which I was not expecting based on my experience with DT’s blueberry jam. I was grateful that it wasn’t too overpowering. It smelled quite grape-y and when first brewed, the initial taste with each sip was grape. Like I said, it was very subtle, so it was more like a memory of grape. Then the green base would come through, which tasted savory with grass and hay notes. However, once it cooled, I could taste the green base more strongly with hints of grape floating in the background. This tea was decent, but I probably wouldn’t buy more as I am not a huge lover of grape flavored things or green teas. It was fun trying it though!

Flavors: Grapes, Grass, Hay

Sipdown (165/171)!

From the fabulous VariaTEA. Upon smelling the dry leaf I knew that a cold brew was the way to go with this one: it smelled like Grape Smelly Markers or Grape Kool Aid, and to me that’s not a flavour you have hot.

So I drank this last night while watching and crying over The 100: it was sweet and tasty in an obviously candy-like, artificial way but I liked that quality of it – probably because I like fake grape flavours to begin with (because they’re not “raisin-y”) and because the green base was well masked. If you were hoping for a natural grape flavour this probably wouldn’t be the best blend for you, though.

It was a nice one shot cold brew that I’ll probably remember fondly; but not something I feel at all compelled to seek out again, which is probably good because this guy’s a Limited Edition blend and I think most stores are out of it by now.

Flavors: Grapes, Sugar

VariaTEA

Hahah I thought you were saying The 100 was sweet and candy like and I was like “we are obviously not watching the same show” :P

Grape Expectations is a lovely green tea with a very light fruity flavor. The green tea leaves are very fragile, so if you do not prepare it carefully, it won’t taste good. In my opinion it is better hot than cold, but it wonderful for springtime because of the light body and subtle fruity flavor. I wouldn’t say it tastes very much like grapes, there is just a general fruity note.

Flavors: Fruity

175 °F / 79 °C

Starting off the morning with fruit and some fruity tea!

Meh. This tea is not bad. In fact, it smells delightful, and it goes down fairly well. However, it does not taste especially interesting, and certainly doesn’t taste like raisins or grapes. I won’t be sad to see this one go.

Icing it brings out the grape taste slightly more than serving it hot, but not enough to satisfy my taste. Super disappointing.

Flavors: Grapes, Grass

The first time I made this tea, I steeped it for too long and it was very bitter, so I tried it again, and made sure to do it properly and the verdict, after two extra tries is that this tea tastes like what grape scented playdough smells like. I was very disappointed.

Can’t base my review on much since I just tried a sample in the store, but…I have mixed feelings. I bought a small amount because it SMELLS so good. The taste as a sample was a bit of a let-down, so I’ll have to write a more complete review after my first cup I make myself. Don’t know if I’ll get around to trying it iced, since I bought so little (the stackable tin…24g of tea, so about 5 cups?). We’ll see.

Verdict so far: great smell, less great taste.

keychange

Uggh. I hear you there. This smelled amazing and tasted gross to me.

Jen M

@keychange
I wouldn’t go as far as saying it was gross, but I also did only try a tiny bit of it. It certainly was a disappointment compared to the smell (smells exactly like grape candy to me)

Increasing rating for this a little. Cold-brewed this last night with a bit of honey to sweeten – so good! Much better than the hot version. The sweetness makes the grape flavor come out more, perfect for summertime

Iced 8 min or more