Eastern Beauty

Oolong Tea
Autumn Leaf Pile, Fig, Honey, Raisins, Burnt Sugar, Dried Fruit, Grain, Hay, Molasses, Pastries, Roasted nuts
Medium
Fair Trade, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Green Terrace Teas

• “Backlog: This was the first of the teas that I sampled from Green Terrace and what an amazing introduction to this company. A delightful peach note - sweet! - and a sharp floral note. A soft...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4449 tasting notes
  • “I am drinking the last of this sample from Green Terrace Teas this morning at work. Sometimes when I take teas to work I get a completely different experience than at home. Water temp/method of...” Read full tasting note
    Teatiff 406 tasting notes
  • “How have I not reviewed this tea yet? My sample is almost gone! Thank you *Green terrace* again for the sample! Yum. Sweet and smooth thoughout multiple steeps. An extraordinary tea, and my first...” Read full tasting note
    flyawaybirdie 127 tasting notes
  • “I received this as a free sample and am very happy with the choice, 10g is a lot for free. I used 4g to 4oz of water and it make a solid 6 steeps before giving up most of its flavor. It tastes...” Read full tasting note
    someteaguy 2 tasting notes

From Green Terrace Teas

Eastern Beauty, also know as Oriental Beauty, Bai Hao Oolong, and Champagne Formosa, is one of the most famous and unique Asian teas. During the growing process, green cicadas or “leafhoppers” bite the leaves, stimulating a hormonal reaction in the tea tree that develops its natural honey flavor. This also means that the tea is organic, as no pesticides are used during production. Eastern Beauty is more oxidized than other oolongs and has a very distinctive taste. It is delightfully smooth and fruity, with naturally sweet honey and floral undertones. Thanks to its lack of astringency, this selection is also very forgiving to oversteeping and its savory flavor persists through many infusions.

About Green Terrace Teas View company

Backlog:

A delightful peach note – sweet! – and a sharp floral note. A soft mouthfeel. Earth and wood. Very little astringency to my first cup (infusions 1 and 2, combined).

I got six wonderfully flavorful infusions out of this tea, please read more about them here: http://sororiteasisters.com/2014/07/10/eastern-beauty-oolong-tea-from-green-terrace-teas/

I am drinking the last of this sample from Green Terrace Teas this morning at work. Sometimes when I take teas to work I get a completely different experience than at home. Water temp/method of preperation, who knows. This morning I am wishing this wasn’t the last of this sample. It is very smooth and creamy with a burnt sugar/honey taste at the end of the sip. Yum! This might need to be in my cupboard sometime in the furture. Thanks again for the awesome samples Green Terrace Teas!

EDIT: I am steep #4 and this tea just keeps on giving.

Veronica

That sounds really good! I need to place a GTT order soon.

boychik

i have a sample left. will include it ;)

TeaTiff

Veronica – Did you get a chance to try their samples? What are you thinking of ordering? boychik That is sweet of you, but did you get a chance to try it. Form your love of Da Pao I think you would like this one.

boychik

yes, i did try. its completely diff fr DHP. Actually i really like teavivre’s Oriental Beauty. i think its more complex. do you have it? i can supply you w/sample as well

Marzipan

This is my favorite oolong.

TeaTiff

Marzipan it was a really nice cup. Sometimes I worry that moments like today are going to be mood teas. I hope I consistently enjoy this type of tea. boychik – If you want to add a sample teavivre’s version i would definitely enjoy trying it.

How have I not reviewed this tea yet? My sample is almost gone! Thank you Green terrace again for the sample!

Yum. Sweet and smooth thoughout multiple steeps. An extraordinary tea, and my first Eastern Beauty! I don’t usually drink tea with food, I think it doesn’t let me enjoy the tea properly, but this brew is robust enough to power through sweet or savory foods. Also good on it’s own to enjoy throughout the day.

It tastes like raisins dipped in a hint of honey or syrup. It was never an overwhelming taste, it went together nicely each time. The finish was wet with a slight honey aftertaste that didn’t stick around long.
Steeps 2-5 were my favorites as they had the most flavor and changed slightly with each steep. Even the leaves had a fun smell after each steeping since they kept changing too.
The color was a beautiful deep gold color at its peak, and smelled sweet to the nose.

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Fig, Honey, Raisins

195 °F / 90 °C 0 min, 30 sec 4 g 4 OZ / 118 ML

Thank you to Green Terrace Teas for sending me this generous sample to try.

I believe this is the first oolong of this variety that I have tried, and I am quite pleased.

Definite notes of honey and golden raisins, with a bit of grain and malt especially in the aroma. Minimal floral and astringent notes. Very enjoyable!

Teaave

Hi Caile,

This Is Tea Ave, we are about all things Oolong- www.teaave.com, we plan to launch our site on November, 1st, 2014. Here we can see that you are enjoying sipping some Oolongs yourself.

We invite you to follow us back, so we can send out an inbox message with more information on Tea Ave. We would also like to invite you to try out some of our Oolong samples including Oriental Beauty, Pouchong, Tie Kwan Ying and some floral scented Oolongs before launching.

So, if you’d like, please feel free follow us back and sign up the from we will send you to your inbox , just remember to include your Steepster ID, and we can catch up from there :)

This is a free sample from Green Terrace – thank you
I received my samples yesterday. They are very generous. So exciting.
Prepared gongfu method
4g 100 ml gaiwan 190F
Rinse/10/10/15/20/30/45/60 sec etc
I love Taiwanese teas, they are so resilient and perfect gongfu style .
The color of the brew changed from pale yellow to yellow-orange. Smells fruity and nutty.
I’ve noticed longan fruit, apricots and chestnuts. It’s slightly malty, some honey and some spice at the end of the sip. I have to admit that some sips I combined in one cup, but tasted all of them before combining. Now I’m thinking maybe I need to use more leaves. I want it bolder but not bitter.
Thanks Green Terrace for sending a huge sample to try multiple ways. Always a plus in my book.

0 min, 15 sec 4 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

This tea was a surprising experience. It was an honest to goodness explosion of flavor that provided an adventure for your taste buds. The oolong leaves gave a rich flavor that was full-bodied with a light astringency. It was sweet, it was sultry, it was an oolong that is hard to find elsewhere.

Iced

I didn’t want the first steep to end. So enjoyable. I think CameronB nailed it with golden raisin, and to that I’d add cooked golden raisin, maybe simmered in a very light rum then baked into one of those slightly custardy raisin croissants, only not that sweet. A bit of malt and very faint dried apricot. But not that sweet. Almost umami. Smooth with just the faintest passing astringency.

2nd steep (Western) is quite a bit weaker and picks up a bit of fresh apple.

Short review, but so worth it.

Oh, this is honey sweet and so good. Bug bitten oolong goodness, rendering liquified pastries.

Cookie dough.

Floral mouthfeel, with a touch of spice, clove mostly.

I’m using a GIGANTIC 320ml yixing clay pot, so I went all in with the large sample I got from Green Terrace.

Zero astringency, so smooth and delicious.

I am impressed, thank you Green Terrace!

Sami Kelsh

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn.

This was a very interesting, tasty cup. It was malty and sweet, and once I read other reviews that described a raisin-y flavor, that made total sense. I steeped it a few times and it was great each time.