Eastern Beauty

Oolong Tea
Baked Bread, Grain, Malt, Molasses, Brown Sugar, Butternut Squash, Fruity, Honey, Musty, Soy sauce, Sweet, Cinnamon, Tart, Smooth, Spices, Toasted, Autumn Leaf Pile, Fig, Raisins, Burnt Sugar, Dried Fruit, Hay, Pastries, Roasted nuts
Medium
Fair Trade, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by green-terrace-teas

• “My third and final gongfu with DinoSara THe dry leaf smell like a light ceylon First steep 5 seconds, no rinse: Smells like a light black tea. The flavor reminds me of the smell of a peach...” Read full tasting note
    Equusfell 97 tasting notes
  • “Our third and final gongfu of the afternoon. It definitely reminded me of a more delicate Taiwanese black tea. It started out with some honey-ish grain and malt notes, and by the second steep that...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 2182 tasting notes
  • “This is an awesome oriental beauty oolong – it’s pretty sweet, with tasty honey, peachy, nutty, malt, brown sugar, and caramel notes. I got 11 infusions out of this oolong, with one...” Read full tasting note
    awkwardsoul 1128 tasting notes
  • “Dry leaf is medium sized and twisted, varying in colour from dark brown to tan with some silver tips. There’s a faint sweet smell, and a dry, musty note that reminds me of old books, but...” Read full tasting note
    Anlina 875 tasting notes

From Green Terrace Teas

Eastern Beauty, also know as Oriental Beauty, Bai Hao Oolong, and Champagne Formosa, is one of the most famous and unique Asian teas. During the growing process, green cicadas or “leafhoppers” bite the leaves, stimulating a hormonal reaction in the tea tree that develops its natural honey flavor. This also means that the tea is organic, as no pesticides are used during production. Eastern Beauty is more oxidized than other oolongs and has a very distinctive taste. It is delightfully smooth and fruity, with naturally sweet honey and floral undertones. Thanks to its lack of astringency, this selection is also very forgiving to oversteeping and its savory flavor persists through many infusions.

About Green Terrace Teas View company

My third and final gongfu with DinoSara
THe dry leaf smell like a light ceylon
First steep 5 seconds, no rinse: Smells like a light black tea. The flavor reminds me of the smell of a peach cobbler, or maybe like sweet mash for horses, a grainy, molasses-y kind of flavor. It is very sweet once it cools off a little.
Second steep, 8 seconds: Sweetish/fruity note in the smell of this steep. It is slightly salty/smoky while hot and more like bitter oak when cooled. A slightly darker molasses on the breath.
Third steep, 8 seconds: It’s getting woody, but a malty flavor lingers. It smells like spend brewers’ mash.
Fourth steep, 10 seconds: Not quite as sharp as the last steep, more malty-floral. The floral is a different floral than my green oolongs, much more grainy.
Fifth steep, 10 seconds: Even breadier; the sweet is gone. Much like weak lipton.
The combined mug is much better all around. All of the depth of the last steeps combined with the honey and up-front florals of the first, which lingers a little. I think we have a western-steeper!

Flavors: Baked Bread, Grain, Malt, Molasses

195 °F / 90 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 5 OZ / 147 ML

Our third and final gongfu of the afternoon. It definitely reminded me of a more delicate Taiwanese black tea. It started out with some honey-ish grain and malt notes, and by the second steep that weird fruity-floral note in Taiwanese blacks that I can never properly describe showed up. That note isn’t my favorite, so in the end this wasn’t really the tea for me. The note ebbed and flowed a bit in the steeps, being stronger in some than others, but overall it was just too similar to Taiwanese black teas.

love

nice one..

This is an awesome oriental beauty oolong – it’s pretty sweet, with tasty honey, peachy, nutty, malt, brown sugar, and caramel notes. I got 11 infusions out of this oolong, with one messed up long one in the middle. This tea can take a beating! However, later infusions it does get moderately dry.

My only beef is my sample leaf looked pretty smashed up. Otherwise the taste was pretty good.

Full review on Oolong Owl http://oolongowl.com/eastern-beauty-oolong-green-terrace-teas/

Dry leaf is medium sized and twisted, varying in colour from dark brown to tan with some silver tips. There’s a faint sweet smell, and a dry, musty note that reminds me of old books, but it’s very light.

Steeped for 5 min in 90C water. The dry leaf unfurls into a mix of small, whole leaves, pieces of leaf and a few segments of two leaves and a bud. The colour is medium brown and the steeped leaf smells faintly of soy sauce.

The liquor is a clear, deep amber. It smells of honey and brown sugar. The flavours feel a bit muddled. There’s a “hot water” quality to it that makes me feel like I should steep longer, though the brew is already starting to develop a slight astringency. Some generic fruity notes, squash and then honey and brown sugar on the finish.

It’s an interesting tea to be sure – a bit different than anything else that comes to mind. I can’t decide if I like it or not. Perhaps another cup is required before I can rate it.

Flavors: Brown Sugar, Butternut Squash, Fruity, Honey, Musty, Soy sauce, Sweet

1918 tasting notes

This is not quite what I was expecting.

It’s not a green oolong, and dry it smelled somewhat overwhelmingly toasty and earthy. It’s not, though! It’s really nice. There’s toasted notes, but it’s also very fruity and a little spicy.

I lack the words to describe this tea. It reminds me of the Big Red Robe I have from Silk Road, only better. It has more layers and dimensions.

I highly recommend trying this if you like slightly toasty oolongs. And even if you’re not 100% sure about them. This is so drinkable, and I will be doing at least a couple more steeps of this tonight.

Flavors: Fruity, Smooth, Spices, Toasted

Backlog:

This was the first of the teas that I sampled from Green Terrace and what an amazing introduction to this company.

A delightful peach note – sweet! – and a sharp floral note. A soft mouthfeel. Earth and wood. Very little astringency to my first cup (infusions 1 and 2, combined).

I got six wonderfully flavorful infusions out of this tea, please read more about them here: http://sororiteasisters.com/2014/07/10/eastern-beauty-oolong-tea-from-green-terrace-teas/

I am drinking the last of this sample from Green Terrace Teas this morning at work. Sometimes when I take teas to work I get a completely different experience than at home. Water temp/method of preperation, who knows. This morning I am wishing this wasn’t the last of this sample. It is very smooth and creamy with a burnt sugar/honey taste at the end of the sip. Yum! This might need to be in my cupboard sometime in the furture. Thanks again for the awesome samples Green Terrace Teas!

EDIT: I am steep #4 and this tea just keeps on giving.

Veronica

That sounds really good! I need to place a GTT order soon.

boychik

i have a sample left. will include it ;)

TeaTiff

Veronica – Did you get a chance to try their samples? What are you thinking of ordering? boychik That is sweet of you, but did you get a chance to try it. Form your love of Da Pao I think you would like this one.

boychik

yes, i did try. its completely diff fr DHP. Actually i really like teavivre’s Oriental Beauty. i think its more complex. do you have it? i can supply you w/sample as well

Marzipan

This is my favorite oolong.

TeaTiff

Marzipan it was a really nice cup. Sometimes I worry that moments like today are going to be mood teas. I hope I consistently enjoy this type of tea. boychik – If you want to add a sample teavivre’s version i would definitely enjoy trying it.

How have I not reviewed this tea yet? My sample is almost gone! Thank you Green terrace again for the sample!

Yum. Sweet and smooth thoughout multiple steeps. An extraordinary tea, and my first Eastern Beauty! I don’t usually drink tea with food, I think it doesn’t let me enjoy the tea properly, but this brew is robust enough to power through sweet or savory foods. Also good on it’s own to enjoy throughout the day.

I received this as a free sample and am very happy with the choice, 10g is a lot for free.
I used 4g to 4oz of water and it make a solid 6 steeps before giving up most of its flavor.
It tastes like raisins dipped in a hint of honey or syrup. It was never an overwhelming taste, it went together nicely each time. The finish was wet with a slight honey aftertaste that didn’t stick around long.
Steeps 2-5 were my favorites as they had the most flavor and changed slightly with each steep. Even the leaves had a fun smell after each steeping since they kept changing too.
The color was a beautiful deep gold color at its peak, and smelled sweet to the nose.

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Fig, Honey, Raisins

195 °F / 90 °C 0 min, 30 sec 4 g 4 OZ / 118 ML

Thank you to Green Terrace Teas for sending me this generous sample to try.

I believe this is the first oolong of this variety that I have tried, and I am quite pleased.

Definite notes of honey and golden raisins, with a bit of grain and malt especially in the aroma. Minimal floral and astringent notes. Very enjoyable!

Teaave

Hi Caile,

This Is Tea Ave, we are about all things Oolong- www.teaave.com, we plan to launch our site on November, 1st, 2014. Here we can see that you are enjoying sipping some Oolongs yourself.

We invite you to follow us back, so we can send out an inbox message with more information on Tea Ave. We would also like to invite you to try out some of our Oolong samples including Oriental Beauty, Pouchong, Tie Kwan Ying and some floral scented Oolongs before launching.

So, if you’d like, please feel free follow us back and sign up the from we will send you to your inbox , just remember to include your Steepster ID, and we can catch up from there :)