Pure Buds Black

Edit tea info Last updated by TeaEqualsBliss

From Mandala Tea

The highest grade spring buds turned into a black tea. Amazingly smooth and slightly sweet.

About Mandala Tea View company

This is the newest crop of Pure Bud, & I’d like to thank Garret for sending me a generous sample of it! I’m short on words to describe teas today, but this tea isn’t short of flavor, with a rich mouthfeel & the flavor of an excellent whole grain toast. It’s both sweet & savory, & the dry leaf is really pretty, I might add.

SIPDOWN TIME! This is a bit more “crusty” than the other cup I had…but it’s quite nice! Teas like this are making my day (as well as my many deadlines) possible!

I steeped this in my gaiwan and am blown away with how amazing it tastes. It has a delicious malty tone to it, sweet … but not too sweet. Very smooth, rich and robust. Notes of cocoa, but not an overly sweet cocoa taste. A fruit note in the background that is both sweet and sour. Slightly creamy, and absolutely wonderful… LOVE!

Another generous free sample from Mandala, packed with my last order. They are so nice.

As always, the dry leaf is long, unbroken, and beautiful, a light warm golden yellow. This one’s sweet but with a light airy sort of flavor. Slightly fruity in a bright way, but also quite silky, not at all fruit-tart astringent. There’s some dry wood fuzziness in the texture, a little powdery like sawdust—might sound ick to many but I like it just fine. I think this would be a good one to enjoy on one of the first sunny mornings of spring.

I like this tea. I really, really like it. I’m pretty challenged at describing black teas, since my favorites all seem to be varying proportions of ‘sweet,’ ‘malty,’ ‘smooth,’ and ‘raspy.’ And I like all of those things. I guess the trait my top three have is that those qualities are also ‘balanced.’ I’ve started my black tea explorations with Mandala, and my top three are this, Golden Needle, and Black Beauty. I think I slightly prefer Black Beauty to this because it has less astringency, though Pure Bud is gentle too. I will absolutely finish up this deliciousness, but I think one of the others will be my house black tea, at least for now.

nom nom nom nom nom another one from dexter who is one of those awesome swapping tea friends. I hadn’t yet tried this from mandala so she sent me some to nom on. it’s deeeelicious! and also one of those teas that i just want to say YAYAYAYAYAYAY about. lol

scribbles

This is an awesome tea! My fingers are twitching to place an order for this.

Nicole

The list of wants from Mandala keeps growing. As soon as everything I want is in stock, my bank account is in trouble.

Dexter3657

Awesome glad you liked it. :))

Garret

Whenever I break open the crate of this tea to bag up for an order, I get excited. The smell of the dry leaf recreates in my mind all of the best things about my wood shop class in 8th grade. The sweet aroma that certain woods gave out when cut or planed makes me so very happy and this tea has the very best of those aromas in the dry leaf. I’m really happy that are enjoying it.

Garret

Hey Nicole! What have you been waiting for as far as out-of-stocks at our shop? Maybe I can help you with some ETA’s.

yum!

Nicole

Garret, I was trying to remember – maybe it was the Morning Sun or the Flowering Black Tea Cones? I tried getting to the site to check my wishlist and I can’t get it to come up today.

Nicole

Apparently I just hadn’t checked recently enough. Everything was in stock. And the bank account sighs… :)

Garret

Nicole! New teas are on the way to you, my friend. Wish I could deliver them myself and then sit down for a nice tea session :) Enjoy each of them. Thank you!

This is great tea to start the day. Delicious, smooth, sweet, some malt.

My first cup had hints of fruit in the background, with a lighter profile. Second steep of these beautiful leaves…ahhh…rich, sweet, and so tasty. BF commented on how good it smells-he doesn’t drink tea.

Many thanks to Dexter3657 for sending this my way!

Thanks so much, DigniTea! Excited to try a couple Mandala teas! I tried to follow Mandala’s instructions as closely as possible (1-2 teaspoons, 208 degrees, rinse, 1 min steep increasing to 3-5 min steep). The leaves look like a golden Yunnan.

Steep #1 // 4 min after boiling // rinse & 1 1/2 – 2 min steep
I tried to split the sample I had, so I went with 1 1/2 teaspoons of leaves. Someone at Mandala was kind enough to experiment with waiting for water to cool after boiling and taking temperatures. It definitely gave me a better idea with water temps, even if the conditions (kettle, air temp, etc) isn’t exactly the same. Either way, I was letting the water cool way too long for EVERY tea. To get to 208 degrees, I really should have waited only two minutes after boiling, but somehow it went to four. I’m not fast enough! So the temp was probably really around 205. ANYWAY: The flavor is lovely! I feel like these types of teas embody three distinct flavors: honey, squash/sweet potato and dark chocolate. It depends on the leaves what represents itself more. This one is pure squash and hints of honey. It reminds me of one of my favorites: cutting an acorn squash in half and roasting it in the oven with brown sugar & butter. The body of the tea itself is lighter (though the steep color reminded me of root beer), so the chocolate notes are not as easy to detect… they are present in the background. But sometimes it’s nice just to have the squash notes. I’m very impressed that all three flavors are in this cup, since sometimes it can just be honey flavored if the leaves are mostly yellow, or just dark chocolate.

Steep #2 // 2 min after boiling // 4 min steep
Mandala also suggests that one of the steeps is 3-5 minutes long. This results in a darker, deeper cup – yet not at all astringent. It’s closer to chocolate but not quite. The squashiness is less, but honey remains. It’s a completely different cup altogether. A nice cup, but I think the first is better. I should have had another steep in between these two with a three minute steep. I think that’s why Mandala suggests a one minute steep and then a 3-5 minute steep at the end… the lovely differences the leaves present.