Pure Buds Black

Baked Bread, Malt, Earth, Sweet, Sweet Potatoes, Honey, Mineral, Stonefruits, Toast, Cocoa, Fruity
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

Available from 1 seller.

From Mandala Tea

The highest grade spring buds turned into a black tea. Amazingly smooth and slightly sweet.

About Mandala Tea View company

This is the newest crop of Pure Bud, & I’d like to thank Garret for sending me a generous sample of it! I’m short on words to describe teas today, but this tea isn’t short of flavor, with a rich mouthfeel & the flavor of an excellent whole grain toast. It’s both sweet & savory, & the dry leaf is really pretty, I might add.

SIPDOWN TIME! This is a bit more “crusty” than the other cup I had…but it’s quite nice! Teas like this are making my day (as well as my many deadlines) possible!

I steeped this in my gaiwan and am blown away with how amazing it tastes. It has a delicious malty tone to it, sweet … but not too sweet. Very smooth, rich and robust. Notes of cocoa, but not an overly sweet cocoa taste. A fruit note in the background that is both sweet and sour. Slightly creamy, and absolutely wonderful… LOVE!

Another generous free sample from Mandala, packed with my last order. They are so nice.

As always, the dry leaf is long, unbroken, and beautiful, a light warm golden yellow. This one’s sweet but with a light airy sort of flavor. Slightly fruity in a bright way, but also quite silky, not at all fruit-tart astringent. There’s some dry wood fuzziness in the texture, a little powdery like sawdust—might sound ick to many but I like it just fine. I think this would be a good one to enjoy on one of the first sunny mornings of spring.

I like this tea. I really, really like it. I’m pretty challenged at describing black teas, since my favorites all seem to be varying proportions of ‘sweet,’ ‘malty,’ ‘smooth,’ and ‘raspy.’ And I like all of those things. I guess the trait my top three have is that those qualities are also ‘balanced.’ I’ve started my black tea explorations with Mandala, and my top three are this, Golden Needle, and Black Beauty. I think I slightly prefer Black Beauty to this because it has less astringency, though Pure Bud is gentle too. I will absolutely finish up this deliciousness, but I think one of the others will be my house black tea, at least for now.

Got this as a free sample with a Mandala order a while ago and am just now getting around to trying it. It is pretty good, only slightly malty. I am getting another note too, one I think is generally described as baked bread, quite flavorful.

I brewed this once in an 18oz teapot with the sample, around 6g and boiling water for 1 min.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Malt

Boiling 1 min, 0 sec 6 g 18 OZ / 532 ML

Ohhhhhhh wow. This is freaking amazing. SO sweet (I could smell the sweetness while it was brewing!), light, malty, a bit of chocolate, but SO MUCH sweet. But that perfect sort of delicious sweet that’s not cloying or anything, just really decadent. And the tea is so smooth, too. A serious treat. Agh. I envision a solid Mandala order in the future, because so far, I’ve been very impressed. I believe I’ve had varying teas from golden tips/buds before, but nothing like this. And I even oversteeped this, based on my typical parameters.

Thanks for sharing all these absolute gems with me, Sil!

glad you’re enjoying mandala teas heh i am a fan!

Cheri

This sounds really, really good.

Kittenna

To be honest, I was expecting something hay-y that I would be able to tell was good quality, but wouldn’t enjoy the profile of. I was quite wrong.

now i just have to get a few others your way kittenna…9$ shipping to canada is jokes when we split it. haha

Kittenna

I’m working on being ready for Black Friday 2015. HAHAHAHAHAHA. (But yes. OM NOM NOM.)

Got a sample of this from kimquat a few months ago. Finally getting around to it.
This one is absolutely delicious!
Sweet potatoes…Baked bread…Ugh, so good!!
Hints of earthiness but hardly noticeable. Definitely another win! Probably something I’d consider ordering in the future even. :O
Thanks, kimquat!

Flavors: Baked Bread, Earth, Sweet, Sweet Potatoes

from the (Mostly) Unflavored TTB

Slightly underleafed but I took all that was left.

I did the three shorter steeps directions from the package, 1min, 2min, 5 min.

Malty. And then it got somewhat bready.

The third infusion finally did I get this cocoa flavor.

I’m not sure how I feel about this one.

Mmmmm! Thank you Cameron B. for the sample :)

I had a feeling I would love this one. It’s a very good black indeed. Nice and complex. My kind of tea!

Cameron B.

Its picture on Steepster doesn’t do it justice, either! :)

Stephanie

Agreed. It is a very CUTE tea!