1982 Sun Moon Lake Aged Black Tea, Lot 220

Edit tea info Last updated by Sil
Boiling 5 g 3 oz / 100 ml

From Taiwan Tea Crafts

We’ve made this very unique find while visiting one of the longest established Black Tea makers in the Sun Moon Lake area. I always end our tasting visits by asking him if he has any special teas he keeps in his cellar. This is the tea that came out of the hat that day… As soon as boiling water was poured over this tea I knew we were in for a treat! Our nose was enthralled with a unique whirlwind of inviting aromas that were familiar and yet completely new to me. In fact, it was more so the combination that was unique. There were hints of jammy fruits typical of Taiwanese Assam black teas and, at the same time, complex wood notes and sweet earthy tones that evoked aged teas, and all of this blended in so well together! The mouth was also very content! For those of you who’ve had the pleasure of tasting good Liu Bao, you will be in familiar territory with the velvety smoothness of this tea and its root vegetable sweetness of beetroot and sweet potatoes. But, again, it’s unique Taiwan character shines out in its exuberance and generous personality. This tea is a concentrate of warm earthy textures and very persistent in the aromas and flavours it delivers. This tea will last many infusions. And if you wonder if aged black teas are as good for your health as Pu’ers, but of course they are! But let’s keep that as a secret between us since this lot is of very limited quantity and at this price, it’s a steal!

About Taiwan Tea Crafts View company

If you take those sun moon lake taiwans I was sampling earlier this morning & age them for 30 years, this is what you get! The flavor is of roasted carrots & beets, sweet, rich, & very very different!

Terri HarpLady

But definitely no something I would crave. I will say this though, the leaves can be re-steeped over & over & over again!

agreed on this one..though ai will love having this one to at least have experienced it

Sooo i’ve been sitting here for a bit. This is more of a story, than a true tasting note. I haven’t had much tea today but after the events of the day, i knew i wanted to end the day with something a little special. I don’t have many teas that i horde – i’ve gotten much better at drinking the things i love, when i want them. So i had to dig a little to find a tea for today. What struck me about this one was that it’s an aged black tea. 30 years in fact.

So tonight, i’m celebrating with a new tea type, that I haven’t had before (that i can recall, so it totally counts) and with something that was aged for 30 years. Here’s hoping that it’s a great beginning to things that will last.

What the heck am i talking about? Well today marks the day that my other half proposed. Yep. Our anniversary happens to fall on international talk like a pirate day (today) and he opted to pick today to celebrate our four years together – looking forward to hopefully, at the very least, another 30 together. I can only hope we’ll age as well together like this tea.

This is earthy but really smooth…and the more i drink it, the more the flavours seem to be opening up. i am much in the moment. drinking this tea and contemplating the future.

Courtney

Congratulations!!

thanks… i can’t tell anyone on FB yet, so i have to limit my excitement to here for the most part until i can get around to telling other friends/family lol

Courtney

Haha! We got engaged last December, but weren’t actually home until July and I waited to tell a bunch of people then.

lol i’m probably not going to tell my parents for another 4 weeks…we’re going on vacation with them in october…so i think? i can wait haha

OMGsrsly

Yay, congratulations! :D

Dexter

That’s awesome!!! Congrats!!!

yyz

keychange

oh my gosh! congratulations! I remember feeling so giddy when my fiancé proposed, and I hope whatever feelings of happiness and giddiness and love and excitement you have will last and last and last.

Terri HarpLady

Congrats Sister! So when are you guys actually getting married?

Terri…..who the heck knows. Ian’s still vying for a pirate wedding next year lol

And thanks everyone… I think I’m still in shock lol

Kaylee

Congrats! That’s wonderful! Also, a pirate wedding sounds awesome. You could serve Della Terra’s Lemon and Lime Chiffons with dessert (gotta stave off the scurvy!).

Dinosara

Aww, congrats!

Rosehips

TeaBrat

exciting!!!

Bonnie

Arrrrr!Stay together or walk the plank me hardy!

MissLena

Yay!! Congratulations matey! That’s so exciting! :D

RogersCK

Angrboda

Congratulations! hugs you So when he did it, did he do it like a pirate?

thank you everyone…still in shock lol

Another sample from Sil. This is a pretty interesting aged tea. Much sweeter than I’m used to! Still very earthy, but not fish at all. I’ll make it through a few more steeps, but I still haven’t developed a love for the aged teas yet. Thanks Sil for letting me try it!

Terri HarpLady

Yeah, this one was interesting, but not my thing. It reminded me of beets.

Yep…we’re all on the same page lol

Yay it’s a tea that’s older than me :) Always fun to try mature teas, though I am used to those being in Oolong or PuErh form rather than black.

The raw leaves are small and thin which look sticky and wooden, dark brown in colour and bares a musty, damp, rain, forest sort of smell…or like beetroot. It is rather like a PuErh in scent funnily enough, also getting sweetcorn (like sweetcorn that has been cooked on a bbq and is starting to burn). Perhaps not my favourite smell but I’m still intrigued.

My first few sips reveal an array of flavours, taking particular note of: damp soil, beetroot, damp wood and sweet potato. It’s highly earthy and with some sweetness. As a whole it doesn’t linger in the after taste and nor does it leave me with any dryness. It’s also somewhat refreshing, like clove but just without it’s flavour. A few steeps in my gaiwan reveals more of the sweetcorn flavour.

Honestly….I HATE beetroot! I cannot stand the stuff, never have and never will. This tea tastes just like beetroot, it smells like it too, and that puts me off it a little. I can drink and stomach this tea and tried to find things about it that I found pleasurable such as the sweetness but I am still taken back to the beetroot notes in each sip.

I will reserve my rating for now but I will try it again in the near future.

Boiling 5 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
donkeytiara

Beetroot makes me gag….husband can have a sandwich with it for lunch and when I walk in the house at 5pm from work I can smell it and it makes me gag….. so you’re not the only one! And I’m from Russian/Polish heritage ~ what a failure of my people I am!!