Fengqing Dragon Pearl Black Tea

Chocolate, Floral, Honey, Thick, Cocoa, Malt, Wood, Baked Bread, Autumn Leaf Pile, Burnt Sugar, Earth, Mineral, Toast, Raisins, Wet Earth, Leather
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

From Teavivre

Origin: Fengqing, Yunnan, China

Ingredients: The leaves come from wild tea trees

Harvest time: March 29, 2013

Taste: Taste sweet and smooth, with a slight flavor of chocolate

Brew: 3-4 pieces for 8oz of water. Brew at 212 ºF (100 ºC) for 1 to 2 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: Being a fully oxidised – or fermented – black tea, it does not have the same level of antioxidants that our White and Green teas have, however it is still a good source of these and so will also help reduce the risk of cancers and lessen the affects of aging. Black teas such as our Fengqing black also are considered to help prevent tooth decay and help lower your cholesterol levels.

About Teavivre View company

This is a tasty tea with strong notes of malt and slightly weaker notes of chocolate or cocoa. This tea seems to be very popular on Steepster as it has nearly 300 reviews. This tea is I think good quality but I don’t know why it has so many reviews. If anything to me this is a standard black tea but a good one, not spectacular but worth buying. If I were charged the prices of Whispering Pines for this I’d be annoyed. But Teavivre sells this for quite a reasonable price. It just seems to me that this tea is slightly hyped up, that’s all. I do enjoy the tea.

I brewed this one time in a 16oz Teavana Glass Perfect Tea Maker/Gravity Steeper with 3 tsp leaf and boiling water for 3 min.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 3 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML
boychik

Agree. Good solid but not spectacular

AllanK

Glad you agree.

i miss garett’s black pearls :(

Ah…. see, after a not-so-great tea experience, I should just reach for Teavivre. This is the lovely chocolate honeyed goodness I truly adore, with a hint of floral sweetness, and a bit of… crunch?… that I just can’t get enough of. Will definitely re-steep.

Used three balls in 12 oz of water, for a 2.5 minute steep in 185F water.

Flavors: Chocolate, Floral, Honey, Thick

Oh happy day! I found another packet of Teavivre Fengqing Dragon Pearls. Definitely on my wishlist!

Another one I thought I’d love but just wasn’t for me :(
I mean, it wasn’t horrible. But it wasn’t like the best black tea I’ve ever had. I think I liked the dragon pearls from What-Cha better than these.
I didn’t know how much to use because it didn’t say on the bag or on here, so I only used one pearl. Steeped it for the proper amount of time and then tried it.
It was pretty light. It had notes of cocoa and wood.
It’s an okay tea, not my favorite. But not my least favorite either.
I’m really glad I got to try it at least! Feels like everyone loves this tea and I’m like the odd one out. So it’s good to not have wasted money on this one!
Anyway, thank you, Terri for the sample! :D

Flavors: Cocoa, Wood

Fjellrev

You make me want to try the What-Cha ones then since I love these!

yyz

I know what you mean. I tried it and it was pleasant enough but not amazing enough for me to require it. Depending on how much water you used 1 pearl was probably pretty light though. I sampled it from a friend and she recommended three to four per cup of tea.

donkeytiara

My uncle fell in love with this tea…calls it his heroin, as it cured his bronchitis once (ya think he’s call it his antibiotic, but no….) They were out at TeaVivre so I ordered him a substitute from Adagio…I wonder if he’ll call it his placebo from now on…. :)

Kirkoneill1988

i shall try this tea someday

GCTTB

These black pearls are so cute. Makes me think of Pirates of the Caribbean. Arrrrr

This tea is a bit earthy, a little bit malty, notes of raisins, faint chocolate notes. A very good cup and I enjoyed it but it’s not for me. Still a great tea.

This are nifty little gems that DigniTea sent my way, and I love them! I put a few in a glass teapot, just to see them unfurl. They look lovely.
But these are not just some good looking leaves, they are great tasting too! Malty, rich, dark chocolatey and smooth, with no astringency, they are addictive to drink. I had two large mugs of this one after the other, and I blessed DigniTea and Teavivre with each sip :)
A little gem that is sure to put a smile on your face.

From Unflavored TTB

This is tasty! I’ve had the Adagio black pearls and this is much better. Caramelly, malt, sweet and some what licorice tasting.
I am, however being super lazy – I just dropped 5 pearls into my cup without using a tea strainer. I’ve been sick for days, I really don’t care. FREESTYLIN STEEPIN YO. I will have to get more of this tea sometime.

Shadowfall

Lol. I’ve had the Adagio pearls too and I actually prefer those more. These are more floral-y for me and not as malty, especially with the iced tea I made the other day. I brewed up multiple infusions then stuck it in the fridge to chill. I was kinda surprised at the perfume I got from it.

Freestyle on! lol
I did not get licorice from this one at all thank goodness

This is another sample from my dear tea friend, Virginia. I was fortunate enough to try this before the Teavivre sale and would have bought some, but unfortunately they were out of stock :(. I will acquire some with the next order though!

The leaves are rolled into marble-sized black-brown balls. Points for presentation! They smell of chocolate when brewing and that definitely translates into the taste! They are malty, and chocolately. More of a cocoa/dark chocolate combination, which I like a lot. It has a pudding mouth feel, but with a grainy quality that actually suggests cocoa! There’s also a slight earthiness in the background. Overall, this tea is a very pleasant cuppa with enough complexity to make it interesting (and tasty!)

Veronica

This is such a yummy tea!

Mmmm yeah it is!

Tealizzy

LOVE this tea! I’m actually enjoying a cup right now. I wasn’t planning on restocking during their sale because I have some left, and it turns out I couldn’t even if I wanted to! Hopefully they’ll have them by the time I want to restock! :)

Thanks Cameron B for the sample.
I’ve really been on a black tea kick the last couple days. Good thing Cameron sent me a bunch of yummy blacks! Ooh, and, guess who got an A in her Managerial Accounting class. This girl! I’m so happy, I really needed the A. I did not do so hot Spring semester, and it pulled my GPA down from 3.5 to 3.28. So, this should boost it to at least a 3.3. So of course so celebrated a wanted a good chocolately black, and this beckoned to me.

The pearls of this are so huge! I think it’s my first black pearl, and they’re so much bigger than the green dragon pearls I’ve had. This is one I really regret not steeping in my glass french press because holy expansion! I love watching leaves expand, I’m easily entertained.

I steeped all 5 pearls in 8oz of boiling water for 1 minute, and the result was a medium bodied, cocoay and malty cuppa, but theres also some woodsy taste, and leather? Mixed with the cocoa and malt, it adds depth and interest. Yummy, this is good. Second steep at 3 minutes was more full bodied, a little more cocoa, and I that note that I think you guys call Autumn leaf pile? My cup seems to keep emptying on me, I don’t understand (;

Boiling 1 min, 0 sec 8 OZ / 236 ML
Cameron B.

I’m so glad you liked it! I’m kind of wishy-washy about this one, it never seems to fully impress me.

Tealizzy

Interesting that you only steeped it one minute. I like it after a 9 minute steep. Sounds crazy, I know, but it’s delicious!!!

very nice. so glad i bought! teavivre had a sweet discount coupon going that i totally took advantage of.

exam tomorrow. aside from saying malt, chocolate, don’t want to study, wonderful to resteep, malt that isn’t astringent, very smooth and impressive pearl size!

does anyone have a suggestion for a magical tea that inspires a person to study? i am SO done. =0(

1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML
mj

My study tea used to be Harney and Sons Hot Cinnamon Sunset. I graduated with honors, so it must have worked some ;-)

JustJames

mj…. you rock. thank you for answering my plea!!! xoxo =0)

Kaylee

FWIW, mine used to be Runa Guayusa. Pots and pots of it.

mj

I hope it works for you!

JustJames

=0) thank you!!

OMGsrsly

My tea was coffee, but that won’t work for you! Oh, or Mighty Leaf Orange Dulce, but that was before I got back into loose leaf.

tea-sipper

Ginseng oolong is for super brain power! I haven’t tried the one from Teavivre yet though, I was planning on it tomorrow actually!