Fengqing Dragon Pearl Black Tea

Chocolate, Malt, Raisins, Honey, Cocoa, Earth
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

From Teavivre

Origin: Fengqing, Yunnan, China

Ingredients: The leaves come from wild tea trees

Harvest time: March 29, 2013

Taste: Taste sweet and smooth, with a slight flavor of chocolate

Brew: 3-4 pieces for 8oz of water. Brew at 212 ºF (100 ºC) for 1 to 2 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: Being a fully oxidised – or fermented – black tea, it does not have the same level of antioxidants that our White and Green teas have, however it is still a good source of these and so will also help reduce the risk of cancers and lessen the affects of aging. Black teas such as our Fengqing black also are considered to help prevent tooth decay and help lower your cholesterol levels.

About Teavivre View company

O. M. G. YUM!!! This is absolutely fabulous! This tea was one of the samples Angel sent me and I can see now why it’s such a popular tea. Thank you so much, Angel!!

When I first tried a cup of this, I wasn’t really sure how many pearls to use, but it turns out I estimated correctly for western brewing based on their website. I also couldn’t believe the recommended steep time ranged from 5-10 minutes. I mean, 10 minutes for a black tea? Are you crazy? So, I went with 5 minutes. That turned out to be a mistake, because, although the flavor was good, I could tell it was weak. I guess I should just follow directions!

So, today, I put 9 pearls in a 16 oz. mug (my whale color-changing mug ;) ) and steeped it for 9 minutes. That’s the way to do it! Those little pearls are so cute, but once the water hits them they totally unfurl. Have you ever had a tea with a pearl-like shape that didn’t want to fully unfurl? I’ve had that happen and it’s kind of annoying, especially with those flowering teas. Anyhoo, this tea is amazing! It has a rich black tea and unsweetened cocoa taste. It’s like those dark chocolate bars that are 60-80% cocoa. Amazing! Teavivre’s teas are so good and of such high quality, it’s sad that I’m just now discovering them. I do have to admit though, that the timing is right, since I seem to have developed a much stronger taste for unflavored teas lately. This is going on the order list. :)

Stephanie

Love these!

Tealizzy

I know! They’re awesome!

I prepared this tea Western style in a small teapot due to time constraints this morning.

First impression – chocolate forward! My first sip was all chocolatey goodness, which surprised me a bit. It’s lightly malty, which is a good match for the chocolate flavor. The aroma of the liquor is like a heavy version of what you expect of a Yunnan Golden Tip. Almost like the aroma is weighted down with something more complex.

One thing I like to do with a tea is close my eyes, take in the aroma, and sip it a bit while allowing my mind to wander (I like to think of it as my medi-tea-tion). Many teas take me places in my imagination, and I allow the tea to tell me where that place is. This tea takes me to a forest in winter covered in dry snow. It is comforting in the abandoned place and a perfect complement to the experience.

When I have a free morning, I’ll be excited to try this tea again Gong Fu style to see what flavor subtleties I can squeeze out. Thanks again to TeaVivre for the selection of samples!

Flavors: Chocolate, Honey, Malt

This my first Teavivre tea I think and I used the full sample sachet to make a teapot (of 1 liter).
Let’s go for a stupid digression but I am not very attracted by Tea pearls aspect because they always remind me rabbit’s turds.
Anyway all the tea pearls I had in the past were very lovely experiences so it is really not an issue to pass though this stupid prejudice.

The pearls are quite dark but with lots of golden streaks.
It is not a full bodied tea, it’s a mild one, sweet, mellow . I am not noticing any bitterness at all.
I can detect earth notes, baked bread and malt of course. The cocoa note to me are poping up at the end of the sip.

A very lovely tea, perfect for a morning cup. Thank you Courtney for sharing.

cteresa

Now I will never be able to that image out of my mind! you are right, sadly.

Ysaurella

ahaha I know I know I am terrible but it looks really much like that rather than “pearls” :) but for sure the name pearl goes better with tea and as a poetic evocation.

Nicole

I had never thought about it, but yes, they do. :)

Courtney

Glad you enjoyed this one. :)

looseTman

“I used the full sample sachet to make a teapot (of 1 liter).”
“It is not a full bodied tea, it’s a mild one …”
How many pearls did you use in 1 liter?
Per http://www.teavivre.com/black-dragon-pearl/: 9 pieces for 500 ml, or 18 pieces for 1 liter

Ysaurella

I didn’t pay attention to how many pearls I had in the sample but probably around 10. I only steeped it for 5 minutes so it may have been stronger if steeped 10 minutes (as proposed on the sample sachet)
Having said that it was really a very lovely blend and I more appreciate plain teas with a medium body rather a strong one

TheTeaFairy

Haha, we should rename this tea “Bunny Pearls”!

I have never had a tea that changed so radically with a change in water. My mom was up last night and she always says she can taste my water when I steep tea for her. So I did this for us with bottled water, refrigerator cold level, heated to boiling. Allowed to cool about 45 seconds then steeped 8 balls in 16 ounces of water for about 5 minutes.

The very first, immediate flavor I got was a faceful of brown sugar. Sweet, dense, sticky brown sugar. Not even caramel but brown sugar. Then the next flavor that hit me in the face was the alcohol malt. Both Mom & I sat and snuffled into our cups, trying to identify the smell we both were finding strongly but couldn’t name. All of a sudden it hit me – it was like inhaling in a warm summer room where malt alcohol has been spilled for years. Wood infused with malt.

Then I took it into work today to share with Tea Coworker. Hot water from filtered system, put into microwave and heated to just below boiling. 12 balls for 24 ounces. Steeped about 5 minutes. Didn’t get any brown sugar and the malt wasn’t as strong, but it was still more present than my first steeping with tap water and at a slightly lower temperature. We both still liked it a lot and Tea Coworker said it was a pretty amazing tea. But I want to try again here at home to reproduce the second set of parameters – that was truly the most amazing result.

Edit: just realized that I never wrote a note for the first steeping. Oops. The first steeping was malty, cocoa-y and very good. It was done at 190F with tap water and for about 3.5 minutes. Nothing super awesome, but good enough. Glad I tried again though with different water, temp and time – it revealed something beyond good enough. :)

TeaVivre

Different water, temp and time can affect the taste, and you can get different taste each time.

I don’t recommend the Western Method listed on the Teavivre website for this tea. I followed it as closely as I could, and ended up with the same headache and leathery aftertaste that I ran into with the Teavivre Balin GongFu steeped with its Western method. Steeped in this way, this tea has malt like flavor that reminds me a little of Guinness Draught, without the bitterness.

I will try the Chinese GongFu Way to steep my next sample.

For the first steep of my first sample, I cut the water amount of the Teavivre Western method for this tea to 2/3, since I had a sample of 6 balls and 1 little ball (so, a little over 11 oz). The tea steeped loose in a porcelain, 17oz teapot.

Large tea pearls that smells like dark chocolate. A nice solid almost chocolaty tasting black tea.

Its pretty darn good. Reminds me of a more complex, less astringent, lipton black.
If you like lipton but want to try some loose leaf black tea this would be a great one to start with.
I followed the gaiwan instructions.
<3 I had to add milk and sugar after the rinse and first infusion but otherwise it was super!
But I still prefer green teas.

This tea is amazing!!! I love how it is rolled into small pearls which makes measuring simple. To brew I used the exact instructions on Teavivre’s website 5 pearls for 8oz of water at 212 degrees for 1 minute. This brewed a great tea, not too strong not too weak, but full of flavor. The first steeping had notes of chocolate, malt, a sweetness, and a flavor that I could not exactly name, but reminded me of something that most naturally carbonated/fermented drinks give me. The second steeping was also full of flavor, though not as strong as the first. I love this tea and can’t wait for everyone to try it.

I always inhale the scent of a tea instantly upon opening the canister. These pearls smell of malty sweetness, earthy and vegetal. All in all, they smell exactly as a good black tea should.

4 pearls per cup plus, I used 16 pearls for my 3 cup tea pot. Brewed at 205F for 1 minute, the tea is pale root beer brown, yeasty and mild in scent.

The taste too was mild, fresh, and sweet. Not as much malt as I’d like, but that may be my fault, either too little tea (too few pearls) or not enough time (2 minutes instead of only 1 minute.)

The resteep of this one will be 2 minutes at 210F, just to see that happens.

Light bodied and mild as brewed, a good evening cup when something strong and bracing isn’t quite called for.

I plan to push this tea a bit, and get out that rich maltiness the dry leaves seem to promise.

With a spoon of german rock sugar. Delicious.