Fengqing Dragon Pearl Black Tea

Brown Sugar, Molasses, Chocolate, Cocoa, Musty, Spices, Wood, Floral, Honey, Thick, Malt, Baked Bread, Autumn Leaf Pile, Burnt Sugar, Earth, Mineral, Toast, Raisins, Wet Earth, Leather
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

From Teavivre

Origin: Fengqing, Yunnan, China

Ingredients: The leaves come from wild tea trees

Harvest time: March 29, 2013

Taste: Taste sweet and smooth, with a slight flavor of chocolate

Brew: 3-4 pieces for 8oz of water. Brew at 212 ºF (100 ºC) for 1 to 2 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: Being a fully oxidised – or fermented – black tea, it does not have the same level of antioxidants that our White and Green teas have, however it is still a good source of these and so will also help reduce the risk of cancers and lessen the affects of aging. Black teas such as our Fengqing black also are considered to help prevent tooth decay and help lower your cholesterol levels.

About Teavivre View company

A really nice daily drinker from teavivre. Great both gong fu and western style!

Flavors: Chocolate, Cocoa

Pausing for a few moments before beginning what promises to be a very busy Saturday. Felt a strong need for a “black ball” tea so I decided to revisit Teavivre’s Dragon Pearls. Tasty rich brew which warms to my core – just what I needed. Peaceful Saturdays for all….

an amazing tea:

when i smell the leaves dry, i smell mustyness and spices.

when i smell the leaves wet, the smell is intensified with hints of chocolate.

when i smell the brewed tea, i smell hints of chocolate and spices.

when i taste the brewed tea, i taste hints of chocolate and medium spices.

the color of the brewed tea is a medium yellow.

i rate this tea a 99 because it is almost perfect.

many thanks to teavivre for this free sample.

dont forget to check out www.teavivre.com

Flavors: Chocolate, Musty, Spices

195 °F / 90 °C 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 250 OZ / 7393 ML

I found a couple of unopened sample packs of Dragon Pearls in one of my tea tins. The weather’s turned icy today where I am, and it’s just about perfect for black teas and oolongs, but I’m almost out of all my autumn and winter teas. So I’ve been brewing these pearls up and trying to decide what to make of them.

The dry tea is gorgeous – tightly made pearls with a scent of chocolate, fresh bread, malt, and a hint of new leather. I like to steep about 4 pearls in about 200-250ml water for quite a long time; 5 minutes or more, and add a very small splash of milk to temper the slight astringency from the long steep time, and to enhance the chocolate and malt notes.

And it’s delicious – sweet and light with a mildly floral and honey aftertaste, but I feel like I’m missing the dark and mature, black-tea-taste.

Ok, so this sample is probably 2 years old…But it’s still tasty. Like, chocolate milk or something. Just ridiculously chocolatey and smooth. I hope these things are restocked sometime soon. I’d like to taste what this tea is like when it’s fresh.

They are back in stock.

Hm. I swear I looked up “pearl” on their site earlier today and it didn’t come up…But there they are! Thanks!

Although chocolaty black teas seem to be a steepster favorite, I usually prefer a more bitter cup when I select a black tea. Since ‘chocolate’ was the first descriptor on the list, I expected a sweet, desserty cup. To my relief, I instead found a slightly bitter, dry, woody flavor dominating, with a subtle chocolate undertone.

Flavors: Chocolate, Wood

205 °F / 96 °C 2 min, 45 sec 7 g 8 OZ / 236 ML

I can’t stress enough how much I suck at picking apart the various flavours in a straight tea, so I won’t even try to go there. But what I do know is that I love this. And it can tolerate my habitual over-steeping, which is always a good quality. I don’t really get the taste of cocoa in this, but a feeling of it, if that makes any sense. Like it’s a dark, rich, smooth taste that is not exactly cocoa, but somewhat similar to it in feeling. Like a cousin to cocoa. Or something. Behold my eloquence!

Either way, great cup, so far everything from Teavivre has been a delight. Will order again once I run out!

This is a tasty tea with strong notes of malt and slightly weaker notes of chocolate or cocoa. This tea seems to be very popular on Steepster as it has nearly 300 reviews. This tea is I think good quality but I don’t know why it has so many reviews. If anything to me this is a standard black tea but a good one, not spectacular but worth buying. If I were charged the prices of Whispering Pines for this I’d be annoyed. But Teavivre sells this for quite a reasonable price. It just seems to me that this tea is slightly hyped up, that’s all. I do enjoy the tea.

I brewed this one time in a 16oz Teavana Glass Perfect Tea Maker/Gravity Steeper with 3 tsp leaf and boiling water for 3 min.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 3 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

Agree. Good solid but not spectacular

Glad you agree.

i miss garett’s black pearls :(

Ah…. see, after a not-so-great tea experience, I should just reach for Teavivre. This is the lovely chocolate honeyed goodness I truly adore, with a hint of floral sweetness, and a bit of… crunch?… that I just can’t get enough of. Will definitely re-steep.

Used three balls in 12 oz of water, for a 2.5 minute steep in 185F water.

Flavors: Chocolate, Floral, Honey, Thick

Oh happy day! I found another packet of Teavivre Fengqing Dragon Pearls. Definitely on my wishlist!