Fengqing Dragon Pearl Black Tea

Baked Bread, Honey, Malt, Autumn Leaf Pile, Burnt Sugar, Cocoa, Earth, Mineral, Toast, Wood, Chocolate, Raisins, Wet Earth, Leather
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

From Teavivre

Origin: Fengqing, Yunnan, China

Ingredients: The leaves come from wild tea trees

Harvest time: March 29, 2013

Taste: Taste sweet and smooth, with a slight flavor of chocolate

Brew: 3-4 pieces for 8oz of water. Brew at 212 ºF (100 ºC) for 1 to 2 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: Being a fully oxidised – or fermented – black tea, it does not have the same level of antioxidants that our White and Green teas have, however it is still a good source of these and so will also help reduce the risk of cancers and lessen the affects of aging. Black teas such as our Fengqing black also are considered to help prevent tooth decay and help lower your cholesterol levels.

About Teavivre View company

This is another sample from my dear tea friend, Virginia. I was fortunate enough to try this before the Teavivre sale and would have bought some, but unfortunately they were out of stock :(. I will acquire some with the next order though!

The leaves are rolled into marble-sized black-brown balls. Points for presentation! They smell of chocolate when brewing and that definitely translates into the taste! They are malty, and chocolately. More of a cocoa/dark chocolate combination, which I like a lot. It has a pudding mouth feel, but with a grainy quality that actually suggests cocoa! There’s also a slight earthiness in the background. Overall, this tea is a very pleasant cuppa with enough complexity to make it interesting (and tasty!)

Veronica

This is such a yummy tea!

Mmmm yeah it is!

Tealizzy

LOVE this tea! I’m actually enjoying a cup right now. I wasn’t planning on restocking during their sale because I have some left, and it turns out I couldn’t even if I wanted to! Hopefully they’ll have them by the time I want to restock! :)

Thanks Cameron B for the sample.
I’ve really been on a black tea kick the last couple days. Good thing Cameron sent me a bunch of yummy blacks! Ooh, and, guess who got an A in her Managerial Accounting class. This girl! I’m so happy, I really needed the A. I did not do so hot Spring semester, and it pulled my GPA down from 3.5 to 3.28. So, this should boost it to at least a 3.3. So of course so celebrated a wanted a good chocolately black, and this beckoned to me.

The pearls of this are so huge! I think it’s my first black pearl, and they’re so much bigger than the green dragon pearls I’ve had. This is one I really regret not steeping in my glass french press because holy expansion! I love watching leaves expand, I’m easily entertained.

I steeped all 5 pearls in 8oz of boiling water for 1 minute, and the result was a medium bodied, cocoay and malty cuppa, but theres also some woodsy taste, and leather? Mixed with the cocoa and malt, it adds depth and interest. Yummy, this is good. Second steep at 3 minutes was more full bodied, a little more cocoa, and I that note that I think you guys call Autumn leaf pile? My cup seems to keep emptying on me, I don’t understand (;

Boiling 1 min, 0 sec 8 OZ / 236 ML
Cameron B.

I’m so glad you liked it! I’m kind of wishy-washy about this one, it never seems to fully impress me.

Tealizzy

Interesting that you only steeped it one minute. I like it after a 9 minute steep. Sounds crazy, I know, but it’s delicious!!!

very nice. so glad i bought! teavivre had a sweet discount coupon going that i totally took advantage of.

exam tomorrow. aside from saying malt, chocolate, don’t want to study, wonderful to resteep, malt that isn’t astringent, very smooth and impressive pearl size!

does anyone have a suggestion for a magical tea that inspires a person to study? i am SO done. =0(

1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML
mj

My study tea used to be Harney and Sons Hot Cinnamon Sunset. I graduated with honors, so it must have worked some ;-)

JustJames

mj…. you rock. thank you for answering my plea!!! xoxo =0)

Kaylee

FWIW, mine used to be Runa Guayusa. Pots and pots of it.

mj

I hope it works for you!

JustJames

=0) thank you!!

OMGsrsly

My tea was coffee, but that won’t work for you! Oh, or Mighty Leaf Orange Dulce, but that was before I got back into loose leaf.

Tea Sipper

Ginseng oolong is for super brain power! I haven’t tried the one from Teavivre yet though, I was planning on it tomorrow actually!

From the Unflavored Traveling Tea Box.

Brewed using Western style. 4 (WOW THESE ARE REALLY BIG) pearls for 12 oz.

Before and after they were infused, the peals smelled of cocoa and malt. The liquor is full-bodied, bold, and amazingly rich with a very bitter dark chocolate taste, underneath which is an earthy note – the kind of earth that is moist after a long thunderstorm has recently passed. The aftertaste so uncannily resembles dark chocolate that I could have sworn I’d just eaten some.

Thanks to the lovely Cameron B for sharing this tea with me!

Method: 4 balls, 6 oz, 200 degrees, 5 min, banko houhin (Eeeeee!!!!)

Aroma: smells a little malty and roasty. I catch a little hint of cocoa, too.

Flavor: I think it’s pretty solid. It has a nice weight, and a mild malty taste. It only has a bare hint of bitterness, and a slight astringent finish. The flavor lingers nicely. I think this would be a great candidate for a little maple booster, but I didn’t try that yet.

I ended up doing two steeps blended into one mug because the leaves really sucked up a lot of water. Both were 5 minutes long. To sum up – I wouldn’t kick this one out of bed. LOL

200 °F / 93 °C 5 min, 15 sec 4 g 6 OZ / 177 ML
Cameron B.

Ooh is that the cute little pot that you just seasoned? :D

Sarsonator

Indeed! That’s my new pot for unflavored black teas. So this was my first one in the new pot. Hooray!

Cameron B.

So very cute, I can’t wait to get into teaware eventually!

Sarsonator

It’s a whole new addiction!!! But super fun. :)

MzPriss

Sars – the vanilla pot is full of win!

Sarsonator

My vanilla pot will be here Monday!!!! Can’t wait!!!! Hhhm. I guess I’ll use GO to season that one… Which did you use?

MzPriss

GO of course! I highly recommend that

I’m on it!!!

TheTeaFairy

I used GO also, and it’s FANTASTIC!!!!

Sarsonator

I’m really interested to try the vanilla teas in the banko clay, and I wonder if the clay type had any influence here. I keep reading that this type of clay makes astringency lighter, makes tea sweeter, and unifies the flavors.

It just seems like a lot of claims! But if you’re starting with quality tea, maybe there’s something to it. I’ll probably season the vanilla pot and do a taste test with the banko vs regular glazed porcelain.

Of course, I’ll be using GO for that taste test! Speaking of which… I need to order more!!!

MzPriss

I will tell you, it hurt my feelings a little bit to use that much GO for seasoning – but I look at it as an investment in the future. After seasoning the Tea Hobbit way, in a bath over a warmer for several hours, I decided it was COMPLETELY worth it. I LOVE the way the Go tastes in the vanilla seasoned pot. And I keep thinking about how good it is now and how much better it will just keep getting. I think the warmer is key.

Sarsonator

I did the unflavored black pot on the stove on low heat yesterday for 2.5 hours or so. worked great!!!!

I slept in this morning, and now I feel a little groggy and out of my element. I’ve got a lot of stuff/chores to do, and ‘cos I feel so bleh, it’s gonna be hard to get going.

So to make myself feel better I decided chocolate was the way to go. Chocolate tea, that is. YUM! Malty, chocolatey deliciousness.

Thanks for the sample, Dexter!

Cameron B.

How did you brew them? Trying to find the sweet spot on this one. :)

scribbles

Western style. 4 pearls with near boiling H20. Hope you find what works for you! Is so good.

Cameron B.

How long did you let it go for?

scribbles

Oops…sorry, meant to include that. 1st steep 4 min, 2nd at 6 min.

Cameron B.

Thanks for the help! I really want to love this one but I felt it didn’t live up to its full potential when I tried it. :P

Hello everyone, I hope you’re all having good weekends! I decided to do gong fu with this tea today because I felt like I wasn’t getting the full potential when I tasted it western-style. I mostly used TeaVivre’s parameters, but adjusted the amount of water to 4 ounces and then used 4 grams of tea, which turned out to be 4 pearls. I also used 200 degree water instead of boiling.

The method: 4g tea per 4oz water, 200 degrees, 10s rinse/30/50/70/90/120s

Rinse (10s): very light, woody, golden raisins (the pearls puffed up but held their shape)

Steep 1 (30s): strong bitter cocoa with some woodiness, burnt sugar (the pearls fell apart completely!)

Steep 2 (50s): very earthy in a mineral sense (licking a rock comes to mind), bitter cocoa

Steep 3 (70s): mellower earthiness, autumn leaves, dark but not bitter cocoa

Steep 4 (90s): very similar to steep 2, earthy and highly mineral

Steep 5 (120s): similar to steep 3, mellow earth with autumn leaves, buttered toast!

So, I was not a big fan of those highly earthy and mineral steeps… In fact, I didn’t finish either of them. Just blegh. My favorites were the first and last steeps, which suggests to me that maybe I should try this again with shorter steeps? Or maybe I’ll just stick to western-style with this one.

Any suggestions for a gong fu method that won’t bring out so much earthy/mineral flavor would be greatly appreciated! I only have enough of this left for one more cup or session… So I want to get it right! :P

I also noticed that there’s a tad bit of water left in the bottom after I drain the leaves. I’m assuming this is okay, since I don’t see how I would get all of it without dumping into a strainer. Would love to be corrected if I’m wrong!

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Burnt Sugar, Cocoa, Earth, Mineral, Toast, Wood

200 °F / 93 °C 4 g 4 OZ / 118 ML
Stephanie

This is a great tea! Hope you are having a good weekend too! I’m at work actually, boo.

Cameron B.

Thanks Stephanie! What’s your favorite way to brew this one? And I’m sorry you have to be at work! :(

Stephanie

I like it semi-western! Long and super rich steeps for me :)

I usually only get 2 or 3 steeps that way though. Sorry it’s not tasting like you’d hoped!

Cameron B.

How long do you usually let it go for? The website recommends 5-10 minutes, sheesh. :P

4-5 mins usually

Stephanie

It DOES take a while for those pearls to unfurl!

Sarsonator

I am dying to try this!!!!

Oh Sars – I have a shitload and I don’t love it so I can send you plenty

Cameron B.

MzPriss, I don’t love it either so far. Going to try the Stephanie method last and hopefully that makes it for me!

MzPriss

I can try the Stephanie way – people seem to love it, but I havent so far

Sarsonator

Cam sent me some, MzP. I’ll try it and report back. :o)

MzPriss

It sounded like just the kind of thing I would love so I got one of those Teavivre tins of it. I can’t get it to the point where it tastes the way others describe it tasting.

Cameron B.

Luckily mine was one of the free samples I chose, so I didn’t pay for it. It’s not bad, but it seems fairly nondescript to me, and I don’t seem to get chocolate like others do. :(

Sarsonator

I used 4 pearls in 6 oz. for 5 min. Seemed to work pretty well. I thought it was good! I definitely found a little cocoa.

Stephanie

Interesting that everyone’s experience is so different!

MzPriss

Stephanie it always surprises me how differently people experience tastes and smells in tea

I keep wanting to call this Black Pearls. It has a nice chocolate scent (that could also be my kitchen, as I just made cakes). The flavour is a bit towards the mildly sweet hot cocoa side. Not overly strong, just delicious.

Flavors: Chocolate

Lariel of Lórien

I know, I should have let them send me more.

This is my first shot at little balls of tea! What happy things they appear to be…like gum balls but all black! I am charmed. Since my western brewing tea ware of choice is 16 oz, I just unceremoniously dumped all the balls in the wee sample packet into the pot and steeped for 8 minutes….half way between the 5-10 minute recommendation. Well! Those wee tea balls sure opened into some larger leaves! Unexpected! (Kind of reminds me of those little gelatin capsules that had the sponges shaped like animals smooshed inside them and you let them float in the bathtub til they became sponges…) The dry smell of the leaf was chocolatey and tea-y. Wet….well, they just kind of smelled like wet leaves to me! Not quite sure why, but wet hot leaves and a touch of hot wet earth. Once in the cup, I found that the tea’s aroma had that chocolate note I detected in the dry leaf/balls, a bit of hot wet earth and just a smidgen of malt. Less malt than I was expecting by looking at the reviews, actually! The flavor profile has the chocolate and warm wet earth notes and adds a bit of a raisin middle note to it. There’s not much of a top note to this tea, so I would say that this is a deep-flavored tea for days when you need “grounding”…. something that helps you settle into the middle of your problems and start to relax to truly come up with solutions… It’s that kind of tea…oh, it’s also something they would probably enjoy in the Shire. Take your pick of the mental pictures provided above and have a cup! (I know which one you will probably choose, my precious!)

Flavors: Chocolate, Raisins, Wet Earth

Boiling 8 min or more 7 g 16 OZ / 473 ML

A sample from Miss B, I’d been wanting to try this one based on all the reviews!

I have never had any tea in pearl form before, so it was pretty neat to watch them unfurl. Times like this I wish I had a clear glass teapot!

I was expecting more chocolate from this tea, I found it tasty, different from other black teas I’ve tried. I didn’t notice any cocoa notes and no fruity notes, but I found it to be mildly earthy in a pleasant way, not like a pu’erh. I have no idea what leather tastes like but that actually might be a description that makes sense, since I can’t quite put my finger on anything else.

I used three pearls and have three left to try again!

Thanks Bonny!