Oolong Caramel au Beurre Salé

Oolong Tea
Flower Petals, Natural Caramel Flavor, Oolong Tea
Caramel, Cream, Mineral, Salty, Sweet, Floral, Butterscotch, Creamy, Vanilla, Vegetal, Butter, Milk, Nutty, Tannic, Tannin, Tea, Umami, Salt
Edit tea info Last updated by Ali Bee's Bake Shop

• “Whoa… there is a big demonstration against Prime Minister (mostly) over here. I am not taking part beause of upcoming exams. So, I am at home, watching live stream, drinking tea. This tea was last...” Read full tasting note
  • “Light sweet taste in mouth, compare to its powerful fragrance. Dry leaf: The strong salty but sweet fragrances. And the sweetness is not only caramel but also a clear flower note in the end. If...” Read full tasting note
  • “Day 6 of Dammann Freres Advent Calendar. This was a pretty good dessert-y Tea. It had a buttery, creamy taste. As it cooled it developed a slightly astringent edge. Not enough to ruin it for me,...” Read full tasting note
  • “Advent calendar – day 6 (and I have it in my cupboard :p) This is a tea we have purchased twice now so no surprise there. We really like it and drinking it is always a treat. The delicious caramel...” Read full tasting note

From Dammann Freres

Natural velvety notes of an oolong tea here combined with those sweet and savory of a caramel aroma. A subtle balance between vegetal notes and the greedy notes of toffee that many will taste with treat in a delicious and gourmet cup.
Brewing time: 4 minutes

About Dammann Freres View company

Whoa…

So, I am at home, watching live stream, drinking tea.
This tea was last remaining from DF I have not tried. I am big fan of salted caramel, but in tea it was something I could not really imagine.

But the tea was great!
There is not much of base noticable, liquor is yellow-green and when I had a sachet in and I moved the sachet, it looked even bit oily.

But the tea – itself. As I already said, base is not really noticable, but the taste was great. Slightly mineral and salty with little sweetness beneath. But it is not awfully sweet, nor awfully salty. It was just correct amount of both. And as it is butter caramel, little bit of buttery taste is there too.

But none of the tastes was awfully strong. They work so well together making whole drink good, bit creamy as well.

Great!

Flavors: Caramel, Cream, Mineral, Salty, Sweet

4 min, 0 sec 10 OZ / 300 ML
Martin Bednář

If somebody wants to read what is happening here:

Kittenna

Yikes. Thanks for the link; I hadn’t heard that this was going on. (I haven’t been watching the news here lately, but I’m sure it’s made international headlines.)

gmathis

Caramel and oolong are lovely together. (And thanks for the link as well—my attention is often focused far too much on my own little 7-mile daily radius!)

ashmanra

I sent the link to my youngest who is going to be there in just a month! I think it will enrich her experience to be aware of both history and present day events.

Light sweet taste in mouth, compare to its powerful fragrance. Dry leaf: The strong salty but sweet fragrances. And the sweetness is not only caramel but also a clear flower note in the end. If you can control the steeping time within 60 seconds, you could brew it up to 5 times I guess (100ml of water).

More tea review? Check my blog! Hit my profile for the link. OR,

Flavors: Caramel, Floral, Salty

Boiling 1 min, 0 sec 3 g 10 OZ / 300 ML

Day 6 of Dammann Freres Advent Calendar.

This was a pretty good dessert-y Tea. It had a buttery, creamy taste. As it cooled it developed a slightly astringent edge. Not enough to ruin it for me, but that combined with the vegetal aftertaste moves this one off my prospective spring order. I guess I’m one of those non adventurous sorts who prefers black tea. But I’m really enjoying the chance to try teas I normally would avoid.

Advent calendar – day 6 (and I have it in my cupboard :p)

This is a tea we have purchased twice now so no surprise there. We really like it and drinking it is always a treat. The delicious caramel is very buttery. A bit like a Werther’s Original butterscotch candy. It’s very smooth and creamy, and you can definitely taste the vegetal oolong. With a little bit of stevia, it’s delicious! I like it very much but for some reason I don’t find myself reaching for it as much as I would think I would (possibly because I have too many teas :o)

Flavors: Butterscotch, Caramel, Creamy, Vanilla, Vegetal

The caramel here came off a bit astringent. Sour isn’t the right word but it did carry aspects of what I associate with it. May have let it sit too long in the cupboard although I made a small cup of this ages ago and it was more of the same. The oolong part was rather soft as well. Definitely done in more of the traditional way than the “green” oolong style… which isn’t my favourite (really gotta be in the mood to enjoy).
Overall, rather tasty, all considering. Might have done better as a latte?
Thanks for the sample Sil!!

Had this last night and decided to have it again tonight. Just awesome!

Memily

Haha I went to add this to my wishlist and it was already there. Nice.

Looseleaf: Smells strongly of caramel, butter, vanilla, and cream, but in an artificial way.

Brew: Strong flavours of cream, it actually tastes like I put milk in my tea. Very buttery, strong flavours of buttersctoch and vanilla. Slightly nutty, but not toasted. A nice balance of buttery, umami oolong with plenty of tea flavour and tannins and a strong butterscotch flavour.

Flavors: Butter, Butterscotch, Cream, Creamy, Milk, Nutty, Tannic, Tannin, Tea, Umami, Vanilla

Drank this one last night with some almond milk;

What does it say that I had just gotten home from our staff meeting at DT where I drank a lot of tea (five cups in two hours) only to come home and immediately after turn on the kettle?

This was great through; the perfect silky, creamy and soft sweet tasting note to end the day on. Except I ended up having an unplanned final cup after this so it wasn’t really an end to the day. I love the natural balance of caramel and fresh, floral and green oolong as well. It doesn’t feel like it should work but it totally does. The almond milk added a hint of nuttyness that suited the overall sweetness as well.

Blissful.

tea-sipper

it says you’re a tea addict. :D

VariaTEA

I drank this last night!

Buttery and salty and oolong, but who stole the caramel? I am adding a teaspoon of honey to see if I can coax the caramel back. Yes, yes, better, but still not that sexy dripping luscious caramel of my imagination.

The second steep is super buttery too, maybe even more so than the first. A bit more vegetal with the slightest echo of salt. Delicious.

That said, the name of this tea is a lot to live up to. Perhaps I would be enjoying this tea so much more if my imagination were not as vivid.

Thanks, Sil. I’ve been looking forward to trying this one.

Flavors: Butter, Butterscotch, Salt

i think the age is showing on this one to be honest. It’s not as intense as it was when i first got it, so i’d say “fresh” you’d fine it much more caramely. Still tasty…but not like it was…

Evol Ving Ness

Still tasty, as you say, Sil. One day, I will have this fresh as fresh can be to see. In the meantime, it is still luscious.

I’ve drank this on three separate occasions and each time I steeped it just a little different.

I can totally appreciate the caramel flavor in this, but the oolong base is too green for me. It doesn’t go with the caramel. It’s too vegital – asparagus and caramel do not work for me.

Thanks Sil for sending me a sample of this. Sometimes I feel bad when I get samples of expensive/hard to get teas – especially ones that others really love – and I don’t like them. I feel like they were wasted on me and others would have enjoyed them more. However, even the ones I don’t love – I’m always appreciative of the opportunity to try new things…. :))

i’ll send you fauchon version at some point – it’s my favourite, the oolong is not so green and doesn’t interfere with the deliciousness of the caramel…at least imo

Fjellrev

Come to think of it, you’re totally right. I do love the flavouring in this but I think a lighter, maybe lightly floral oolong would have paired better with the caramel.

glad we’re all on the same page for this version haha

tigress_al

lol, asparagus and caramel—that doesn’t sound very good